Truly evil typos

EmilyMiller

Perv of the Impverse
#1 - discrete and discreet - both words - both sound the same when using Speak β€˜N Spell - just fucking different meanings 😑

Just found an instance in an otherwise blemish-free story.

😱😱😱😱😱

Em

@SimonDoom's favourite: waist and waste

Bill Gates' spellchecker always gets it wrong: it's and its

Often spotted in the wrong places: there, they're, and their

principle and principal

effect and affect

complimentary and complementary

alimentary and elementary

sea and see

whore and hoar

past and passed (but not pasta)

#1 - discrete and discreet - both words - both sound the same when using Speak β€˜N Spell - just fucking different meanings 😑

😱😱😱😱😱

Em
Would this be like anal mint instead of annulment?

My breath often fails to breathe. (Having COPD I gasp when I see that!)
This is a misspelling I only seem to catch when using Read Aloud. (Desert and Dessert also rear their ugly heads)

I know someone who claims to know someone who got fired from their job for emailing a customer and offering a 10% disocunt.

My autocorrect changes "but" to "bit" so....fucking...OFTEN.

You've probably seen me do it the forum because I just get too annoyed to go back and fix it.

I have to really comb through my stories for it though.

You've probably seen me do it the forum because I just get too annoyed to go back and fix it.

I end up with teh instead of the. I'd like to blame the autocorrect, but I just have fat fingers...

This just hit me... But(t) fucking vs bit fucking. Yeah, such a painful distinction... :)

I turned off my autocorrect awhile back. It thought it could read my mind but it was delusional.

Now I'm allll natural...even my typos are my own.

😱😱😱😱😱

Em
The amount of times I’ve had to google this every time I’m at that crossroads πŸ˜…

Not so much a typo but the appropriate tense usage for lie vs lay always trips me up

One that always gets me is public v pubic. I've even had to make the embarrassing call to a client to correct it after I'd sent the text off.

Capitol vs. capital.

And autocorrect is fuckin’ evil. I spent good money on a nice laptop because I wasn’t allowed to turn off the autocorrect on my wife’s iPad when we were away from home and I wanted to write. The iPad almost became a Frisbee on a couple of occasions.

public v pubic

I told this story a while back:

MrPixel said:
...there was my wife's work associate who ran the "vidifont" on-screen caption generator at the PBS station they worked at. Back then it was a live, on-air operation. LeRoy was working a beauty pageant presentation, and instead of "Miss Georgia Pageant Presented by Georgia Public Television", it was, you guessed it, "Miss Georgia Pageant Presented by Georgia Pubic Television".

LeRoy was reassigned to something a little less on-air the following day.

autocorrect on my wife’s iPad
iOS has some weird quirks. As long as I've used it, it insists that hell is he'll, and well is we'll.

And each version has it's own autocorrect bug. One I remember well is that it would insert a lowercase a and capitalize the next word. Like I'd type 'food salad', and it'd replace it with 'food a Salad'. I never did figure out what triggered that before the next version introduced a different bug.

😱😱😱😱😱

Em
WTF???? You have blemish-free stories? Oh hell no! I don't want to hear it! I'll stuff my fingers in my ears and yell NA-NA-NA until I get out of this thread!

Comshaw

An oldie but a goodie:
A Fucking English Lesson
I keep it handy. Also, as time goes on, I have developed a list of my most common errors which I do a β€˜Find’ on before I submit any new story.

iOS has some weird quirks. As long as I've used it, it insists that hell is he'll, and well is we'll.
Fuck yes, that one shits me no end, always having to delete the apostrophe.

I tried turning mine off once, which was actually worse, because it made me realise just how much I use predictive, even if it's bloody annoying at times.

And then, with "d" and "f" adjacent on the keyboard, a typo from hitting the wrong key could give your story a whole new twist:

"Fuck!" Jim shouted as he caught sight of the distant sniper taking aim. Belle responded immediately, throwing herself onto the ground.
(And a tale of partisans fighting the invaders becomes a story of lustful passion aroused in the face of death.) or

"That was some impressive diddling," Belle said as Jim finished his virtuoso performance.
(And a story of a violin solo becomes one of a different art form.)

😱😱😱😱😱

Em
Gosh, when I am tired, I can horribly mistype words. I usually catch them in my rereads, but sometimes, especially in late night forum posts, I read them again the next morning only to realize the horrible mistakes and errors I left in them.

I guess it's because English is but a second language to me, so my incorrect internal (I wish it were just internal) pronunciation of the word makes the other part of the brain jump to the wrong entry when my fingers are looking for the muscle memory of how to type it out.

Then there are types times (effin happened again, just now) when I start to get micro-sleeps as I type and wake up to realize I now have to delete 20 pages of a single character I was pressing while editing somewhere in the middle of a paragraph :) The fun life of being a constantly sleep deprived restless activity addict.

Last edited:
Back