The War on Christmas

I've never even noticed it. But I have noticed that a lot of Americans get really uptight about what they view as obscenities.

What is it about swearing that bothers you?

Was that directed at me? I have that user on ignore and I don't remember why, but I cordially invite them to fuck right off with that censorship,speech policing bullshit.

The Appalachian dialect is casually profane. Like a lot of dialects. Die mad about it. You can get pissed at me for calling your a 'fuck' or an Australian for calling you a 'cunt' and neither of us will give a shit, that's just how language works.

If I drop that playful tone I'm probably pissed.

There's this book, "Holy Shit" I heartily recommend if you want to know why that's actually a thing. But the general consensus among linguists is that people who are casually profane are smarter, healthier, happier and more honest. Of course that only works for profanity, not slurs, because it's about not having self-censored thoughts rather than just like... being racist.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/health-benefits-of-swearing_n_5a5e44a8e4b0106b7f65b3a6?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMzfnPhC4kElwdGX5XTBxan_f40sfQBZaHPrDSgPU4VdoYBPirgIinSsP2ga3TXNrsmJw9KOU-dPqR0qrzXsTv2iZfvlpGj4aUxwlO_E7k_Nz1Y-Qj87DZN9K1Aw_m-yk5QfPJhbkL1VrFndmloUjqi4mlp_7WALEZpsNfQsOtvQ

So yeah, in conclusion, they're welcome to fuck off. Because they're just wrong. It makes me more likable and emphasizes my point (in this case joking about how fucked up it is that late-stage capitalism is trying to make Christmas one Megaholiday to the point that we try to make children comfortable with the idea of constant unquestionable surveillance) more, not less. You're on the outskirts here. Most human people flip that.

I was going to say, these days it's often just regional dialect. It doesn't even register for me, but then most Brits swear a lot.

I was going to say, these days it's often just regional dialect. It doesn't even register for me, but then most Brits swear a lot.

Any working class dialect is casually profane because of how the human brain works, it's just what that region considers profane. My gf isn't originally from the Bible Belt so hearing how much people, me in particular, said "Jesus Christ" or "Jesus Fucking Christ" or "Christ on a Cracker" or "Jesus Tapdancing Christ" or just, "Jesus" or "Christ" as if they were cuss words was hilarious to her. She was like, "You can't just use somebody's name as a cuss word. That's not how it works. Like in Harry Potter, somebody get famous enough they just get to be a swear?"

Like no, it's the Bible belt. We're taking the lord's name in vain Jesus Christ can't a guy swear with his own version of casual profanity in his particular dialect without it being a whole big thing?

That is a really good book about that, though. It goes through that, what each culture considers profane and how it relates to which dialects have casual profanity (always the working class) and that's the story of why you can say 'piss' and 'bitch' and 'whore' and whatnot in the bible.

When used that often, it's a sign of ignorance.
No, it's often just a sign of having grown up surrounded by people who swear a lot. Do you just interpret it as ignorance, maybe?

I think you might just be a bit of a snob.

Think Onslow:

7d0a03f5df9acab8aa0439115d165cd5.jpg

That's how I see Candi.

No, it's often just a sign of having grown up surrounded by people who swear a lot. Do you just interpret it as ignorance, maybe?

Also, it's literally not. I already posted the studies disproving this. Not reading the studies about how it's a sign of intelligence, or... literally any study about anything and just going by how you "feel" is a sign of ignorance.

Who is infinitely more likeable than hyacinth, hyacinth.

Yeah, see, that's what he actually means. That pic. He means, "You sound like a redneck and I refuse to value your culture. I associate redneckery with ignorance. Fuck your entire culture."

And I ain't gonna play that. That's not me 'sounding ignorant' that's you being xenophobic. Just because I come out the head of a holler don't mean I ain't smarter than you. You're just xenophobic. Have fun with that.

Edit: Also, don't hijack my Christmas thread to bitch about not likin' how I sound. Rude as fuck. You oughta hear me talk. Sound like fuckin Boomhauer. You ain't never gonna be happy.

Stores do whatever gets them money. This shit will continue until people are too broke to buy crap and start making their own decorations and gifts, ignoring holidays, or redesigning holidays to suit poverty. Meanwhile, we currently don't have much of a spring holiday. The end of winter could be a huge deal, but all we have for that is Easter, some Catholic BS and painted eggs.

It's all about commercial business anymore. How fast and how much can we cram down people's throats. Well fuck them. I go to Thanksgiving dinner with my family and afterwards watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and then I go home to bed. Pass on black Friday shopping totally. I'd rather pay the extra money then deal with the idiots and I love my sleep. The following weekend I will get out my Christmas decorations and deck the halls. Sadly never been a huge fan of Christmas music outside of like five songs so probably be listening to all my normal music all the way through the holidays.

It's all about commercial business anymore. How fast and how much can we cram down people's throats.

Always has been always will be, nobody is cramming anything.

I go to Thanksgiving dinner with my family and afterwards watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and then I go home to bed. Pass on black Friday shopping totally.

See....you do what you want, they do what they want, everyone wins. Isn't freedom wonderful?? :)

My girlfriend's brother turns more and more into that Will Ferrell Elf charachter with each passing year, and insists Chrismas season starts in late October.

I'm thinking of staging an intervention. Even his kids think their dad is being weird.

Christmas is for cunts.
A cunt devoid of a penis is a waste of space.

Except in scotland where violence often supercedes profanity.

Or simply a twat?

Quite wonderful.
sycophantic twat.

George Michael will be turning in his grave, last Christmas he gave you his heart, the very next day you tore it aapart. I hope he got it from Argos.

A cunt devoid of a penis is a waste of space.

Except in scotland where violence often supercedes profanity.

Or simply a twat?

sycophantic twat.

George Michael will be turning in his grave, last Christmas he gave you his heart, the very next day you tore it aapart. I hope he got it from Argos.

Let Mr. Michael turn. I will put on the Trans-Siberian orchestra from time to time.

Let Mr. Michael turn. I will put on the Trans-Siberian orchestra from time to time.

whilst it is true that mr michael would like to turn in his grave, especialy if being spit roasted...

the trans siberian orchestra? is that an orchestra that has had some kind of op and now indentify as an orchestra? :D

Corey taylor christmas song......:eek:

whilst it is true that mr michael would like to turn in his grave, especialy if being spit roasted...

the trans siberian orchestra? is that an orchestra that has had some kind of op and now indentify as an orchestra? :D

Corey taylor christmas song......:eek:

Funny funny. :D

Any working class dialect is casually profane because of how the human brain works, it's just what that region considers profane. My gf isn't originally from the Bible Belt so hearing how much people, me in particular, said "Jesus Christ" or "Jesus Fucking Christ" or "Christ on a Cracker" or "Jesus Tapdancing Christ" or just, "Jesus" or "Christ" as if they were cuss words was hilarious to her. She was like, "You can't just use somebody's name as a cuss word. That's not how it works. Like in Harry Potter, somebody get famous enough they just get to be a swear?"

Like no, it's the Bible belt. We're taking the lord's name in vain Jesus Christ can't a guy swear with his own version of casual profanity in his particular dialect without it being a whole big thing?

That is a really good book about that, though. It goes through that, what each culture considers profane and how it relates to which dialects have casual profanity (always the working class) and that's the story of why you can say 'piss' and 'bitch' and 'whore' and whatnot in the bible.

i once worked someplace where the dept. head called me out for walking in one morning and saying, 'good morning, motherfuckers.' i had to explain to her that where i came from, 'motherfucker' is used as a term of endearment. the stupid bitch! had the same experience with 'slut'....jesus fucking christ, if you don't like it, don't listen.

oh, look....you can go to the movies, too!

Last Christmas | Cast & Synopsis | November 8, 2019
https://www.lastchristmasmovie.com/story

Nov 08, 2019 · Last Christmas features the music of George Michael, including the bittersweet holiday classic of the film’s title. The film will also premiere brand new unreleased material by the legendary Grammy-winning artist, who sold more than 115 million albums and recorded 10 No. 1 singles over the course of his iconic career.

oh, look....you can go to the movies, too!

Last Christmas | Cast & Synopsis | November 8, 2019
https://www.lastchristmasmovie.com/story

Nov 08, 2019 · Last Christmas features the music of George Michael, including the bittersweet holiday classic of the film’s title. The film will also premiere brand new unreleased material by the legendary Grammy-winning artist, who sold more than 115 million albums and recorded 10 No. 1 singles over the course of his iconic career.

Now Christmas movies I do love. Love Actually, White Christmas, Polar Express, Prancer, and love Christmas episodes of TV shows.

Also, it's literally not. I already posted the studies disproving this. Not reading the studies about how it's a sign of intelligence, or... literally any study about anything and just going by how you "feel" is a sign of ignorance.

Or maybe those studies were by people who wanted to justify their own swearing. Whatever the fuck, I work in an industry where swearing is part of a deeper culture. Kinda like a sailor. Are they extremely intelligent, or did they just get a bad rap? However, some people think swearing is the lack of vocabulary to get the point across. Sometimes, it needs a swear word to get the point across effectively. Either way, well placed curse words can almost be a secret bond between people. Like the two are being very honest and their secret is safe. Truthfully, at this point, I I'm just straight, talking out of my ass because I've lost all interest on this subject. Fuck off.

Back