The Official Author's Hangout Earth Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Welcome to the one and only real contest around. The Earth Day 2013 Contest.

Don't mess about with a fake contest. Go with the real thing.

Indeed.

Wow, the votes and views are piling up fast. Almost doubling every hour or so.

Okay, enough checking. I unfortunately have work to do. Good luck, everyone.

who is that funny little man trying tto fool anyway?

tumblr_mhafccXpVG1s4xn2do1_500.gif

Everyone knows about the other thread. The thread that just happens to be the most viewed Theme Contest Support thread in the long and storied history of LITEROTICA!

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

the Authors’ Hangout LITEROTICA/A.I.R. 2012-2015 Themed Contests Support Thread…

2013 Sexy April Contest

A.I.R. wants QUALITY not QUANTITY!

Yes scouries, that fake contest thread. DUH!

Thanks for allowing me to point that out to every newbie that reads the real contest thread.

Going to try to get back to mine... Thinks keep coming up. I do have a vacation coming up, so I might be able to finish it then, which I've got plenty of quiet time.

Damn... just checked my "recent activity" for the first time in a while. Lots of new favorites and "Mom's Stocking Stuffer" is still drawing them in after a year and a half *laugh*

It's my most stolen story, highest voted, highest viewed, and I wrote the thing in 24 hours for the sole purpose of annoying someone :devil: The code at the end of the story shouldn't be too hard to break, if you can't guess without it.

Anyway, back to Earth Day -- scrapped the original opening, wrote a better one, killed off a scene I'd been writing that was dragging, dropping an extraneous plot element that I liked, but which was complicating things too much, and finally put the story on the right path before things started getting in the way.

I'm going to see what I can do about strolling down that road this weekend. I really -- really hated missing Earth Day last year.

I've written essentially 1500 words of dialog as my opening as a group of friends banter around a campfire. I'm a bit in love with their banter, but it reads more like a movie script than anything else. Not sure what I'm going to do.

I've written essentially 1500 words of dialog as my opening as a group of friends banter around a campfire. I'm a bit in love with their banter, but it reads more like a movie script than anything else. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Turn it into a Letters & Transcripts story? Sounds like that would be a fun transcript.

I've finally stopped tweaking on mine. Hopefully, it will post tomorrow.

I've gone through a brief search of the site and haven't seen anything. Does anyone know if any writer has written a retelling of Baucis and Philemon.

Thinking about a retelling for the Earth Day contest.

I've gone through a brief search of the site and haven't seen anything. Does anyone know if any writer has written a retelling of Baucis and Philemon.

Thinking about a retelling for the Earth Day contest.

I think there was some talk years back about someone doing this for the Modern Fairy Tales chain. Don't think it was posted, however. Go for it.

I think there was some talk years back about someone doing this for the Modern Fairy Tales chain. Don't think it was posted, however. Go for it.

Thanks! It's already in my head enough that it will annoy me too much if I ignore it.

Now to decide how much to change from the original myth. The challenge of 'reader enjoyable geriatric sex' is intriguing I must admit.

Thanks! It's already in my head enough that it will annoy me too much if I ignore it.

Now to decide how much to change from the original myth. The challenge of 'reader enjoyable geriatric sex' is intriguing I must admit.

Not to toot my own horn, but check out Emet. All I basically did was take the elements of the stories of the Golem and Pygmalion and placed them in a modern setting. It's not a modern version, but more of a modern story inspired by the originals.

Not to toot my own horn, but check out Emet. All I basically did was take the elements of the stories of the Golem and Pygmalion and placed them in a modern setting. It's not a modern version, but more of a modern story inspired by the originals.

I will read "Emet" thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking of changing it into a modern day story that paralleled the original myth; or a straight retelling of the original just with sex creatively thrown into it; or thirdly, sticking close to the original with variants (age change and which Gods paid the visit) to make it more interesting for Literotica readers.

I'm leaning more towards options two or three at the moment. We'll see when I actually sit in a writing session to write it.

I have chapters from two of my other series and some nonLit writing on my plate first.

Good luck with your writing!

I will read "Emet" thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking of changing it into a modern day story that paralleled the original myth; or a straight retelling of the original just with sex creatively thrown into it; or thirdly, sticking close to the original with variants (age change and which Gods paid the visit) to make it more interesting for Literotica readers.

I'm leaning more towards options two or three at the moment. We'll see when I actually sit in a writing session to write it.

I have chapters from two of my other series and some nonLit writing on my plate first.

Good luck with your writing!

One of the advantages to retelling a story is that the plot is already outlined for you. The story is already there; the challenge comes in finding a new way to make it relevant to the reader. When you do it well, the intelligent reader will reward you.

One of the advantages to retelling a story is that the plot is already outlined for you. The story is already there; the challenge comes in finding a new way to make it relevant to the reader. When you do it well, the intelligent reader will reward you.

Exactly, which is what makes them fun to do.
I once taught a class on the variants of Cinderella having the students justify culturally the alterations to each version and then write their own Americanized fairy tale redux. Turned into a fun English and History lesson. I was very impressed with the quality of some of their legends.

I've got one for Monday. It's a brother/sister story.

Best of luck to everyone.

Well tossed one in. Good luck to us all.

Bit hard to shoe horn Earth Day into an erotic story and have it be at least a good read. Hope I managed it.

I've got one for Monday. It's a brother/sister story.

Best of luck to everyone.

And you, as well.

Well tossed one in. Good luck to us all.

Bit hard to shoe horn Earth Day into an erotic story and have it be at least a good read. Hope I managed it.

That was the problem I always had in the past. Unlike with, say the Halloween and Winter Holidays contest, Earth Day never seemed to have any sort of erotic appeal for me. I always felt that, if I wrote something for Earth Day, it would just be any other kind of story I'd write, except for mentioning the day.

Funny that, after three years (well, six and a half, technically, since I joined Lit), I finally found some inspiration to do Earth Day-specific themes.

Good luck, MST ;)

Turn it into a Letters & Transcripts story? Sounds like that would be a fun transcript.

I've thought about doing that. I'm still struggling with pushing it in a different directions. I like the characters and their interplay, so it's tough. Guess I missed my calling as a sitcom writer, LOL.

Mine is up and doing fair. :cool:

I get a link in the sig line asap.

I rewrote everything I had written. I feel much better about how it reads and feels than before. My beta reader (Mr. CarliePlum) likes it and made a few tweaks. (He's too forgiving a reader, really, but has a good eye for grammar and punctuation. Conclusion is foregone and should be easy.

Struggling with the next bit as it is all about my asshole character and his sexual exploits. I'm finding it hard going as I'd like his dick to drop off, but the story requires him to whoop it up with hordes of women. We'll see how this is going to go. Hoping to post by later in the week.

I also haven't had time to look at anyone other submissions. May go do that now as a method of procrastination. Good luck to the other writers still slogging along.

Contest analysis - Earth Day Contest 2013

I misread the story dates for this one, so may have missed the early stories (the dates will be slightly out), sorry. :)

Good evening. The aliens telepathically tell me that there are 18 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.23 from an average of 158 votes. Stories had an average of 15,806 views, an average of 6 favorites, and an average of 6 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.14%. The average number of pages is 2.9, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 2,699 votes, 284,510 views, 122 favorites and 108 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.23) is 0.46 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 158) is 174. The median score is 4.37, the median number of votes is 93 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.54 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 4.05 or below.

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (2 stories)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (2 stories)
  • Gay Male (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (4 stories)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Romance (3 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (3 stories)

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

Ashson, Beelzebub72, CavyConsultant, curlyspurs, eclare, JagFarlane, litfan10, MSTarot, RedHairedandFriendly (2), silkstockingslover, slyc_willie (2), sr71plt, Stacy469, SusanJillParker, TxRad, xelliebabex

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Earth Day Contest 2013

Back