The Official Authors' Hangout 2023 Valentine's Day Contest Support thread

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
These are the dates for 2023. They have been edited now the 2023 schedule is posted.

Valentine's Day (February 14th)
themes: romantic love, Valentine's Day, Cupid, sensuality, etc.
starts: January 13
closes: February 7
winners announced: February 14

So get thinking and writing!

Last edited:
I have one finished but I need to reread it for editing.

Thanks Ogg.

It's a busy time of year for stories. I've got a couple of Leinyere and a Pink Orchid story bubbling along. I don't think a Valentines one is in my future.

It was strangely difficult to actually write a Valentine's themed story, but I started two months ago so I only have to get off my lazy ass and start editing :p

I've had an idea kicking around for this one for four years and just haven't been able to get it done, but I'm going to try. No promises, but I'm going to try. It's partly written, and I've got the story pretty well mapped out.

I have a plot in mind which might work around a V-Day theme with my usual MC and MFC dysfunctional swinger couple.
She's more of a nerdy but domineering type, and not the typical "over-priced chocolates and flowers on just that one day of the year" kind of girl. And he's somewhat of an emotionally clueless, but "think outside the box" kind of geek. So, what else might they do for each other to show their devotion?

I'll try to work out the details over the next two months.

I'm almost sure I've got one done for this. Honestly, I'm not sure; I wrote a slew of stories in October, vaguely intended for some contests next year.

ETA: Yep. I just checked. I've got a sweet little piece ready to go: actors sort-of rediscover each other years later. Not quite ten thousand words, which is short for me, but I think it'll go.

After a dreadful 1 Holiday story (worked on sevearl, but postponed them) I'm working on 4 Valentine's story, currently juggling 3 different stories right now. 1 mom/son, 2 lesbian, 1 group sex detective.

I actually just came up with a story idea for this, while writing a story that is now going to be for the winter holiday one for next year. Wanted it to be for this year, but didn't get it done in time. Once I get the Winter one done, I'll get started on this one! I am super excited to get it started.

The original post has now been edited to show the actual 2023 dates.

starts: January 13
closes: February 7
winners announced: February 14

I have one that I'm not sure if I should submit it for Valentines Day or April Fools... It's hard to tell with a playful couple.

I finished a Valentines Day story, but it’s so blah that I’ve decided to bury it deep somewhere so it never sees the light of day. :) Have you ever written a story, then thought, “Jesus, that’s boring”?

I finished a Valentines Day story, but it’s so blah that I’ve decided to bury it deep somewhere so it never sees the light of day. :) Have you ever written a story, then thought, “Jesus, that’s boring”?
I usually don't manage to finish those. If they are that bad, I tend to lose my steam before I get far into them.

I don't know if I've ever bored myself with my writing, but I know I've missed the point. I finished up my Valentines Story and when I re-read it, I realized that it was an April Fools story. That's what happens when you try to write a romance involving a playful couple. Luckily, I had another story that missed another point, so it was pressed into service to fill in for the Valentines story.

Boring, no; evil, yes. My finger keeps hovering over the delete button. David and Absalom…

Back