The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Earth Day Contest Support Thread

Excellent, Slyc!

And that reminds me ... this dryad story I am VERY slowly writing ... which category would that belong in? Non-human? Fantasy?

My yardstick is typically that if the dryad is going to be part of the sexual focus of the story, it goes to Non-Human. You get a few more readers there than in Sci-Fi&Fantasy.

Most of mine have gone Sci-Fi&Fantasy because the main characters are half dryads ( really, 1/4 or 1/8, but dryad traits are supremely dominant in my mythos ) They look almost completely human and don't exhibit any magical abilities ( yet ;) ) They're technically non-human, but I don't feel they meet the bar for the category. Supporting characters who are full dryads/naiads don't count. It has to be one of the MCs.

Excellent, Slyc!

And that reminds me ... this dryad story I am VERY slowly writing ... which category would that belong in? Non-human? Fantasy?

My yardstick is typically that if the dryad is going to be part of the sexual focus of the story, it goes to Non-Human. You get a few more readers there than in Sci-Fi&Fantasy.

Most of mine have gone Sci-Fi&Fantasy because the main characters are half dryads ( really, 1/4 or 1/8, but dryad traits are supremely dominant in my mythos ) They look almost completely human and don't exhibit any magical abilities ( yet ;) ) They're technically non-human, but I don't feel they meet the bar for the category. Supporting characters who are full dryads/naiads don't count. It has to be one of the MCs.

The way I see it, I consider the environment as well. If it's a story about a dryad in the modern world, I'd go with Non-Human. If it's a story about a dryad in a land with elves, dwarves and magic, then it's Sci-Fi. Laurel, of course, may have a different way of looking at it.

The way I see it, I consider the environment as well. If it's a story about a dryad in the modern world, I'd go with Non-Human. If it's a story about a dryad in a land with elves, dwarves and magic, then it's Sci-Fi. Laurel, of course, may have a different way of looking at it.

That's a relevant yardstick as well.

Sci-Fi&Fantasy readers don't seem to care whether the world is modern or fantasy, as long as there are fantasy elements to the story. That's why I use it as the default, with other categories such as Non-Human, Mind Control, and Erotic Horror having bars that I feel a story should meet before I put it there.

How important are long & erotic sex scenes in either the Sci Fi or NonHuman categories?

How important are long & erotic sex scenes in either the Sci Fi or NonHuman categories?

In general I would think they mean less than they would in a more erotic category. SF/NH tend to have a readership that is more concerned with story and interesting settings and characters than a lot of sex.

As always, wouldn't there be a whole range of opinions on this?

Yes, but, since I and my wife have both written quite a few Sci-Fi and Non-human stories, our experience has been that fans are more forgiving if there isn't much erotic content. The comments I typically get on Sci-Fi/Non-human are about 90% concerned with the story and characters. On the other hand, comments on EC or Incest stories overwhelmingly relate to how much a reader was turned on.

Just my opinion, but readers of Sci-Fi and Non-human tend to look for story, setting and characters first, and dick & pussy second.

Yes, but, since I and my wife have both written quite a few Sci-Fi and Non-human stories, our experience has been that fans are more forgiving if there isn't much erotic content.

But that in itself may limit the number of fans, right? Hasn't someone noted that the reader base for this category is smaller than some of the others? Playing down the sex on an erotica story board might be a reason for this. Back to the broad interest range thing--pretty much anything goes if you're satisfied with the size of the fan base that accepts it.

But that in itself may limit the number of fans, right? Hasn't someone noted that the reader base for this category is smaller than some of the others? Playing down the sex on an erotica story board might be a reason for this. Back to the broad interest range thing--pretty much anything goes if you're satisfied with the size of the fan base that accepts it.

It may, it may not. I personally don't think the lower readership for Sci-Fi and Non-human is due to its sexual content or lack thereof. Most readers come to Lit to read sex stories, and most people don't have a fantasy about fucking a moon elf or what it would be like to be sexually probed by aliens. By default, then, the most popular categories are popular because they cater to the more or less "standard" readership. Readers look to Sci-Fi and Non-human because they're looking for a certain setting (vampires, werewolves, witches, whatever), not necessarily a certain sexual kick.

It may, it may not. I personally don't think the lower readership for Sci-Fi and Non-human is due to its sexual content or lack thereof. Most readers come to Lit to read sex stories, and most people don't have a fantasy about fucking a moon elf or what it would be like to be sexually probed by aliens. By default, then, the most popular categories are popular because they cater to the more or less "standard" readership. Readers look to Sci-Fi and Non-human because they're looking for a certain setting (vampires, werewolves, witches, whatever), not necessarily a certain sexual kick.

Hmmm. Aren't your second and third sentences contradictory? Just sayin'.

But then I can see why the most likely answer to Heyall's asked question is that it probably isn't necessary to have sex scenes. But that the answer to the unasked question is that the readership would probably be rather low in comparison to other categories because this is a sex story site.

Okay, reading back through it, they did sound a little contradictory. I don't always adequately express what I want to say.

Let me put it this way, then: say I write a story for the Incest category (the most popular on this site) about a mother and her son and fill it with wall-to-wall sex. It would probably get enormous amounts of views, tons of votes, and scores of comments. I then pull it, edit it so that the sex is minimal, concentrate on the characters, and submit it again. I'm willing to bet the reads, votes and comments would be far lower in comparison.

Now, I write the same story, but it's about a sexy elf and her son, and it goes into Sci-Fi (or Non-human; it could be either). Whether or not there is wall-to-wall sex, I'm fairly certain both versions of the story would fare about the same regarding reads, votes and comments. In other words, whether or not there is a lot of sex in a Sci-Fi or Non-human story doesn't matter as much to the readers of those categories as they do to the readers of the "big" categories.

It's all opinion, of course, but it's what I've come to believe after watching the reads, votes and comments on mine and several others' stories in the various categories.

Story is the primary driver in Sci-Fi&Fantasy and Non-Human, though the readers are certainly reading stories here expecting there to be at least some sexual content. If all they wanted was the fantasy aspects, there are plenty of outlets for that.

The leeway you get is not having to get to the sex on page 2, or jam the entire story with sweaty bodies. Sex is expected, but does not have to dominate the story to capture the majority of the readership.

Any idea when we'll get a formal announcement on this contest? Or is it somewhere already and I've missed it?

A story does not have to have wall to wall sex no matter what the category, the story just has to be good and keep the readers interest. This may be an erotic writing site, but that does not mean the readers are only looking for pure sex.

I have 2 stories in mature both 8 pages and neither have sex of any kind until the next to last pages 4.85/4.84 and 3222/1601 votes.

My incest stories are not stroke, most are around 6 pages and many have no sex until the end, I put some things in to tease the reader with what's coming. but they are not stroke. They do more than fine here.

So the theory you need heavy sex or a lot of sex to have some good success here is not accurate.

Unless you can't tell a story and you need non stop sex to mask that because there is a huge audience for stroke as well, but amount of sex is not going to hurt a story.

The NH/Sci fi and also erotic horror have low readerships simply because it is not what the average reader comes here for. Most come here for the "basic kinks" you can read sci fi anywhere.

Some of my highest-rated stories on Lit. are in the nonerotic category and have no sex in them at all. For the contest at Christmas, in particular, I have trouble putting sex in a story.

Got to love it when you get a contest story idea and it wont let you go to sleep till you get the story fully wrote out.:rolleyes:

Off to get 5 hours of sleep before I have to go to work.

MST

Got to love it when you get a contest story idea and it wont let you go to sleep till you get the story fully wrote out.:rolleyes:

Off to get 5 hours of sleep before I have to go to work.

MST

Someone sent me a picture. So far I have three stories from it that would not let me alone. Sadly, none of them will fit in for Earth Day.

A week away and still no formal announcement that I can see. Need the wording of the notes section in order to submit a story.

Just finished my first draft. I know there are two elements that need tweaking, but they're gonna wait till tomorrow.

Probably either A) Busy and forgot.

B) Too many early entries have been coming in with the earlier announcements, so Laurel is waiting until a little closer to the start to post the thread/contest phrase.

A week away and still no formal announcement that I can see. Need the wording of the notes section in order to submit a story.

Yeah I'm waiting for that too, but in any case the 28th will be the earliest possible day to start submitting, won't it ?

And I'm assuming the phrase will be EARTH DAY STORY CONTEST 2014 if things go according to the usual contest manner. ;)

Reminds me of the repeat phrase of "Same procedure as every year, James" from that old 'Dinner for One' comedy sketch. The film is shown every New Year's Eve on Danish (and German) television. Very few people in US and Britain have heard of it, but it's cult in Scandinavia, two Baltic countries, Germany and Austria.

It says the 28th is day one so you could submit the 27th to get in on the first day.

This will be the first time I'll be ready for day one. Looking forward to being troll fodder for the entire length of the contest:rolleyes:.

It says the 28th is day one so you could submit the 27th to get in on the first day.

This will be the first time I'll be ready for day one. Looking forward to being troll fodder for the entire length of the contest:rolleyes:.

Yeah LC, let's get togther with pilot and scare the hell out of all the bigots by having two GM stories and yours out on the first day of the contest. Can you imagine the outcry if they were the only ones. :devil:

Yeah LC, let's get togther with pilot and scare the hell out of all the bigots by having two GM stories and yours out on the first day of the contest. Can you imagine the outcry if they were the only ones. :devil:

Never know, they might be the only ones. The contests have had very slow starts lately.

I can imagine the outcry of my fan base that I'm attempting a first time romance.:eek:

Back