The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Earth Day Contest Support Thread

I know others(two I know of for sure) will say it doesn't matter, but any contest story coming out starting Monday that goes up first am has a definite advantage in what it will get for first day votes and views.

I won't make the mistake of going in early again after this. Then again I wouldn't think we'd have seena late start like this.

I found the official contest page thanks to your link but there doesn't seem to be a link from the main page to the contest page. Am I missing it or just being impatient?

The link isn't up on the main page yet.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about that. The top billing on the New Stories list is the real driver of contest views. The contest page is more about increasing the longevity of the story than initial views.

Hell, it may actually be beneficial for that link not to go up for a few hours after the start. I'm sure some use it as a 1-bombing road map.

I didn't see the stories appearing on the category hubs for the couple I checked, though. That's probably affecting reads right now.

Good opportunity for some data gathering, if you have a story out in the contest right now.

Keep track of when it goes live on your category hub. If you see a spike in readership once it appears on the category hub, that's telling you for sure that the category hubs are becoming vastly more important than the main new stories list.

Whoo-hoo got my first two one bombs of the new contest. Then again what else would trolls have to do on a Saturday? Not like they have a life.

Whoo-hoo got my first two one bombs of the new contest. Then again what else would trolls have to do on a Saturday? Not like they have a life.

Well, I'm reading it right now and so far (page 3) I like it a lot. Be back later with more feedback :)

Great story and I loved the feet fetish part too. Wouldn't mind a second chapter with more of that.

Last edited:
I am trying to read all the entries and vote to support the other contestants. On my 4th story so far. Not a bad set of stories as far as I can tell. I can also tell that I went in a very different direction of the ones I've read.

I just checked and the home page still has the V-day winners listed no mention of Earth day so where are you seeing that?

Yes, as others said, just change the name of the contest in the URL. To see other years, just change the year in the URL.

I am trying to read all the entries and vote to support the other contestants. On my 4th story so far. Not a bad set of stories as far as I can tell. I can also tell that I went in a very different direction of the ones I've read.

Well thanks for reading and leaving a nice comment and vote, I'm glad you liked it, even if the category (GM) was not your cup of tea :) Not scaring courageous straight guys like you is the main reason I kept the sex to a minimum in this and my previous contest story. ;)

Well, I'm reading it right now and so far (page 3) I like it a lot. Be back later with more feedback :)

Great story and I loved the feet fetish part too. Wouldn't mind a second chapter with more of that.

Thanks for the comment.

And yes as a guilty indulgence I tend to work a little foot play in where I can.

Not sure about another chapter. I'm usually one and done (no comments!) I am a thrill of the kill writer so once the ice is broken I lose interest.

And this was First Time so if I did a second chapter I'd have to move it. Unless we could say it was the first time.....Justin got a foot job!

Hey I got one too ! Can I join the troll club with you ? :)

And the VERONICA spam comment - which I've promptly deleted. I advise all of you to go check and remove too.

Hey - just got this on my recent activity list

O Comment was removed by administration

never seem that one before. They must be really on their toes, it had only just arrived.

Last edited:
I've read a handful so far, and enjoyed them. Well...the character in one annoyed me but the story was still well done. Now I'm toying with trying to pull something together myself. Hmm. Wonder if I can make the deadline.

I've read a handful so far, and enjoyed them. Well...the character in one annoyed me but the story was still well done. Now I'm toying with trying to pull something together myself. Hmm. Wonder if I can make the deadline.

Do it!

One of my own characters annoyed me, but I think that was a deliberate effort in realism. 18 year old boys are idiots.

It has to be because they hate you. I can't imagine anyone hating that story. Wow. I have a lot of authors on my favorites list but not many stories. You made my list with that story. Second favorite ever read on Lit. Thanks dude.

It has to be because they hate you. I can't imagine anyone hating that story. Wow. I have a lot of authors on my favorites list but not many stories. You made my list with that story. Second favorite ever read on Lit. Thanks dude.

Hate me? Come on, who could hate....yeah never mind.

Thanks for the compliment and the fav I'm quite flattered.

One of my own characters annoyed me, but I think that was a deliberate effort in realism. 18 year old boys are idiots.

Yeah the clueless Justin annoyed me too, how come he couldn't see what was right in front of him all the time :)
And MSTarot had a silly First Timer too - but sadly she paid for her refusal to listen to people older and wiser than her.
But who am I to gripe about having a dim main character, since I have one as well.
You'd think it's a conspiracy !!

Or we could start another support group:

"Good morning. My name is Tim."

"Hi Tim!"

"And I'm here because people got pissed about...."

Yeah the clueless Justin annoyed me too, how come he couldn't see what was right in front of him all the time :)
And MSTarot had a silly First Timer too - but sadly she paid for her refusal to listen to people older and wiser than her.
But who am I to gripe about having a dim main character, since I have one as well.
You'd think it's a conspiracy !!

Or we could start another support group:

"Good morning. My name is Tim."

"Hi Tim!"

"And I'm here because people got pissed about...."

Hi Tim, my name is LC and I pissed someone off last night

by Anonymous03/28/14
HORRIFIYING!!

WTF DID I JUST READ?? YOUR SICK!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! YOU NEED HELP!!

Clueless Justin didn't annoy me at all. I WAS clueless Justin for much of my life. If I had a nickle for every time some girl from my past told me "Why didn't you ever try. I wanted to." I wouldn't be rich....but I'd have a bunch of frikkin nickles.

It wasn't Justin. Some other story, on which I commented about the character in question.

i got an 'auto 1', apparently. must have pissed off the LW trolls. :D

the dopey fucker has no clue as to what motivates people to write for the contests. it isn't all about winning anything.

still, having said that - good luck in the contest, everyone! :D

Back