The Adventure of Loving Wives, to infidelity and beyond!

How do you make that happen? I have to check my account activity page. Is there some way I can make a robot email me directly when it happens? Maybe, since I’ll be writing in Loving Wives soon, I should spare myself the pain.
Oh, you want external notification of Comments? On that, I have no idea. If it did exist, I'd have turned it off on the first day. My email is cluttered enough already.

Thx. This story may end up AO3 exclusive now since I can more efficiently monitor comments and ratings there. Ugh.

I may also just post in LW and disable votes and comments, denying trolls their power. Unless they come after you in private feedback too!
No, what they do is not read your story. Or not more than once unless they really like your work. Personally, I do not bother to read stories with less than a mid 3 rating unless or until i am completely bored and have exhausted the other possibilities.

I personally do not even cull commentary. My last story was hated.

Activity or 'views' does not mean the story was read. It simply means it was opened. Many stories are not read past a look at the first few paragraphs or even the tags. Often it is skimmed for content and then re-read later.
A long story might be viewed several times as the reader works his way through the story a few pages at a time.
Sometimes the story elicits a 'gut response' or is enjoyable and interesting to read so the reader reads it a few times to catch things they missed the first read.

I wish there were two purely cuckold categories, one without humiliation and one with humiliation, and certain readers could be banished from them. But since there isn't and won't be, I'll have to decide whether to continue trying other categories or jump into LW with both feet.

Feel the burning down on our toes?
I wish there were two purely cuckold categories, one without humiliation and one with humiliation, and certain readers could be banished from them. But since there isn't and won't be, I'll have to decide whether to continue trying other categories or jump into LW with both feet.

I really think my stories need to be LW. They’re what the category is all about. But I don’t think my skin is thick enough for the abuse I’d receive. However, I don’t know if the voting would be any worse there than elsewhere.

My paying customers don’t seem to mind what I write. In fact, they like or love my work. It might be that no one pays for something they know they will loathe, to insult the writer. Then again, I wouldn’t put it past some INCEL’s.

I haven’t found that magic bullet category here. Lots of reads, comments (nice ones), and red hearts, and a high score eludes me. Are there writers here who write cuckold stories where the husband is willing, even eager, for his wife’s dalliances, know where my tales will receive better treatment?

Should I bite the bullet and return to LW?
If you have paying customers(readers) why worry about using the voting feature on a FREE site? After almost 20 stories I finally turned off my voting and it's a breath of fresh air. I got that advice from another prolific LitE writer, and haven't regretted it. I still get some comments and emails, so it's fine with me.
You should put your story in whatever category it fits. Don't sweat the low votes or nasty comments.

No, what they do is not read your story. Or not more than once unless they really like your work. Personally, I do not bother to read stories with less than a mid 3 rating unless or until i am completely bored and have exhausted the other possibilities.

I personally do not even cull commentary. My last story was hated.

I understand that. I may just do this to check an important box on my résumé and then move on, whatever feedback I get. Many of my stories have become like that. I’ve gotten more feedback from AO3 than I have here in just about everything I’ve written and still it’s not enough. I’m at the point where I’m writing for myself over others, some say I should have always been there. I write about what I want to, if others read and enjoy it, that’s a bonus. I have to know I did a good job regardless of what anyone else thinks. God knows some see feedback on adult entertainment as beneath them, there’s no accountability for taste or lack thereof, and I already set myself up for failure by lacking confidence, might as well put myself at the other extreme but be realistic and mature as I can about what I like to do. I’ve had a few people who have enjoyed my work and for that I am thankful. I’ll keep writing until I can no longer stomach it thanks to them. I write to express my feelings about various stories, that’s it. People can react as they will.

My LW story will be one of those where I let my readers know politely and clearly that I am not into certain topics in the world of erotica, I have decided, while telling what seems to me a worthy story. The MMC connects with a woman from his past who has become a victim of sexual assault and a defender of the victims- on both sides of the courtroom-and she prefers to help the indigent, repentant, or falsely accused as a defense attorney over prosecuting for the victims- though she’s done that also. How do you become such an advocate when you yourself were a victim and you’re not “turning to the dark side” in your mind? You know you are set up for failure in some people’s heads no matter what, and yet you keep doing what you do. On top of that, you’ve been in a loveless relationship for years because you believe in the institution of marriage and wanted to delay ending yours until your only child graduated high school for his sake and practicality on top of your job and breast cancer killing your husband’s interest in you and vice versa (this is a woman who went down three cup sizes due to mastectomy and doesn’t want to feel plastic on her chest so she’s not augmenting- still beautiful, shame any troll who says otherwise). His last gift to her before the divorce proceedings begin is an invitation to a swinging resort club where he hopes she can rebuild her sex life without him. How does she respond? Someone who understands sex crime from both sides, speaks for both sides trying to avoid the bad people, and yet still has desire as an older woman who has survived all she’s suffered, still believes in the possibility and power of love. And when the manager of the club turns out to be her childhood playmate and celebrity crush who was also a victim of similar issues to hers- he wants her but is committed to his wife with whom he has an open relationship… swinging has kept him from becoming an unsatisfied bitter incel… it gives her new hope levels and him too once they meet and get past their issues. They don’t end up together long term, but she’s a worthy partner for him and vice versa. This may be positive for many readers and me. You’ll have to read the story when it comes out to get the full breakdown of how, but I’m hopeful you are already seeing possibilities.

I usually get low number of reviews here and they are mixed around 3 and above in terms of stars. So I have to treasure the praise I do get, define it as worthy. Hope it meets your criteria. Or if not, well, that’s your choice.

If you have paying customers(readers) why worry about using the voting feature on a FREE site? After almost 20 stories I finally turned off my voting and it's a breath of fresh air. I got that advice from another prolific LitE writer, and haven't regretted it. I still get some comments and emails, so it's fine with me.
You should put your story in whatever category it fits. Don't sweat the low votes or nasty comments.
Because I want to be loved, worshiped, and adored by people. I want my cake and get to eat it too. I want it all, I want it now. Just kidding. I like what I write and would love for others to like it as well. I'd like not be called a dirty slut because I write about sex between partners who aren't married to each other, but one of them is married...

usually get low number of reviews here and they are mixed around 3 and above in terms of stars. So I have to treasure the praise I do get, define it as worthy. Hope it meets your criteria. Or if not, well, that’s your choice.
The trick is to write a story that entertains in some way while stating your case. Essays, rants, etc. are NOT usually well received overall. If the reader identifies with character and the character is believable (even with the usual suspension of belief) you will generally do well. That is one reason some stories, especially in LW get a tremendous response.

The reader puts himself in the place of the main character, the man who thinks of himself a decent guy, a good father and at least fair husband. When the wife callously tells him she is going to go screw her lover and there is nothing he can do about it, the reader puts himself in that place. If it is well written, he (the reader) envisions himself in that position. He thinks about what he would do. I have read some of those stories, stood up and yelled, "fuck her!" at least in my mind.

Character development, even if it is a single main character (told in the first person) is key in my opinion. That is my main objection to fan fic/celebrity stories. You are using a known established character, NOT your own. Now instead of using that kind of character, I have based many of characters on people I know. My ex-wife, sister in law and former co-workers have appeared in my stories, Personality wise anyway.

Now I said well written. Many authors have no idea what that is. I always tell new authors who ask, 'just tell the story'. Tell it like you are sitting next to them while drinking a beer. I recently read a story written in the third person. Even the narrator, who should have been neutral, referred to the characters like he was a character. A female character referred to a male as a small dicked, pompous ass with a bloated belly. Then the narrator used that same term, not once but several times. The story changed perspectives several times, present to past in a confusing manner. I found it quite difficult to follow. I will admit I was tired at the time and did not want to go back and read it again to make sense of it. The author's prose was eloquent, at least in his mind. To me it bogged the story down. The author lamented how it was not well received and the readers must be morons.

The trick is to write a story that entertains in some way while stating your case. Essays, rants, etc. are NOT usually well received overall. If the reader identifies with character and the character is believable (even with the usual suspension of belief) you will generally do well. That is one reason some stories, especially in LW get a tremendous response.

The reader puts himself in the place of the main character, the man who thinks of himself a decent guy, a good father and at least fair husband. When the wife callously tells him she is going to go screw her lover and there is nothing he can do about it, the reader puts himself in that place. If it is well written, he (the reader) envisions himself in that position. He thinks about what he would do. I have read some of those stories, stood up and yelled, "fuck her!" at least in my mind.

Character development, even if it is a single main character (told in the first person) is key in my opinion. That is my main objection to fan fic/celebrity stories. You are using a known established character, NOT your own. Now instead of using that kind of character, I have based many of characters on people I know. My ex-wife, sister in law and former co-workers have appeared in my stories, Personality wise anyway.

Now I said well written. Many authors have no idea what that is. I always tell new authors who ask, 'just tell the story'. Tell it like you are sitting next to them while drinking a beer. I recently read a story written in the third person. Even the narrator, who should have been neutral, referred to the characters like he was a character. A female character referred to a male as a small dicked, pompous ass with a bloated belly. Then the narrator used that same term, not once but several times. The story changed perspectives several times, present to past in a confusing manner. I found it quite difficult to follow. I will admit I was tired at the time and did not want to go back and read it again to make sense of it. The author's prose was eloquent, at least in his mind. To me it bogged the story down. The author lamented how it was not well received and the readers must be morons.

I get what you mean and I appreciate it. There are some problems, however. I want readers to identify with both MMC and FMC to a degree. And appreciate side characters too, like the two lead’s respective spouses, the resort owners, etc. This necessitates third person omniscience to a degree or perhaps third person limited to the leads- not first person. On top of that I want to put across my point without ranting or insulting anyone if possible but still giving fair consideration to reality, satire, and honest constructive criticisms. And I appreciate what you’re saying about writing people I know rather than celebrities.

The thing with the latter is, I ultimately write characters I create regardless of the actors who play them. And my muses frequently parody celebrities like South Park, so… I’m trying to go original lately too and it’s not as easy as you might think, especially when I still want to connect all my stories to a degree. I want Doug Ramsay, my original fantasy Casanova, to ultimately hook up with the original soulmate I created for him who is his muse slash therapist, and still have the stable of friends with benefits to a degree too- hot doctor and Aussie spy associates, famous celebrities, ethical defense attorney… everyone in his swinging network, and the fans who don’t like it don’t have to read it. Or if they appreciate it, they can send great feedback as they have before and hopefully will again.

Can you dig it? I hope so. If you would sabotage my work before it even gets published… please don’t make me conform to your needs. Don’t read my story if you honestly don’t think you’ll enjoy it. I don’t necessarily need your advice either. Not to sound like a narcissist, but… I hope you understand. Now excuse me. I need to get through my work week so I can get back to writing. Peace. Out.

Even in third person point of view, the narrator doesn't have a character of its own. The "narrator" doesn't even exist. Third person point of view is still in the perspective of at least one of the characters said "narrator" describes. That's probably why you were noticing that: it was in her POV.

Even in third person point of view, the narrator doesn't have a character of its own. The "narrator" doesn't even exist. Third person point of view is still in the perspective of at least one of the characters said "narrator" describes. That's probably why you were noticing that: it was in her POV.
Not always true. There are stories where the third person narration has a "personality" of its own that can add a lot to the reader's enjoyment.

I think you can often get a sense of the author from the voice they use in narration - something more than bland reportage.

The 'narrator' is usually first person. In third person telling the story comes from an 'all knowing' aspect. The characters act their part and the fourth wall says things about their actions and intentions.

The 'narrator' is usually first person. In third person telling the story comes from an 'all knowing' aspect. The characters act their part and the fourth wall says things about their actions and intentions.
Madeline is using third person close, which attempts to mix the emotional nearness of first person with the flexibility of third person; the narrator isn't omniscient, but you can make them a little more flexible, i.e., describing things going on that maybe a FP POV couldn't show or couldn't easily describe. It's useful when trying to write "smarter" than the character would be if doing FP POV, too.

I get what you mean and I appreciate it. There are some problems, however. I want readers to identify with both MMC and FMC to a degree. And appreciate side characters too, like the two lead’s respective spouses, the resort owners, etc.
In that case third person is the way to go. I find first person works best where the emotional side is the main thing you want to express. To me it is better/easier to express an emotion like humiliation from the first person, so those stories of mine with few characters are told from that POV.

First person has great limitations. The other characters have to be developed by dialog or actions. Their real intentions and motivations are unknown to the person telling the story. He can only guess.

I like to write other stories especially my multi-character ones from a third person where the all-knowing story teller knows what everybody is thinking or doing.

Dialog is also hard to do without 'overloading'. You have to make sure the reader knows who is talking. All too often the author knows but the reader has a harder time, particularly with rapidly changing discussions. But if one person speaks too long, it is unnatural.

I have no intention of changing how or what you write about. That is entirely up to you. Insert characters written in Hollywood into your scenarios if that rocks your boat. Using a celebrity adds a 'visual' of your character.

Not sure if you read any of them, but in-between Rowling publishing her Harry Potter books, numerous stories popped up online. Some were longer, almost a full book in themselves. A few were honestly very good. The authors obviously had read and studied Rowling's and in some cases anticipated plots close to the next real episode.

I usually get low number of reviews here and they are mixed around 3 and above in terms of stars. So I have to treasure the praise I do get, define it as worthy.
If you want to get better reviews, develop your story slower. Make it easy to read. My longest story, "Slave Camp" wound up 35+ chapters. That was totally unintentional and a result of shifting plots. I did develop one character who appeared in a few other stories who was well received by the audience. But never with the readership that my LW stories got.

That was my Derek Robichaud character. I never even described him physically because it did not matter. It was his philosophy that counted. He was a good old boy, ex-nurse, recently retired who wanted to enjoy life alone. His life got complicated as others entered his intended seclusion. He wound up being the cement that held the action and the story together without being the center of attention all the time.
(Going to continue in next thread.)

For some reason, I had to split what I had written in a previous post.

I interwove parts of my own personality into his over the course of the story.

In other stories, I focused on only a small part of the angst of the characters. I tried to restrain myself and how much I revealed about the characters. I kept (or TRIED) it a balance of not making the MC's to one dimensional but not bog the story.

Hell, we are all learning. look at stories you like to read. What makes them good? You might have to separate how they are written from the plot. Some great stories are written like crap. Some 'well-written' as in lurid prose are not stories at all or the plot stinks because it does not track.

Gamblnluck- Thank you for your clarifications. I appreciate your advice and that you have not lashed out at me as much as I first thought. Forgive me, last night I was dealing with a malignant narcissist relative kinkshaming me in front of small children and their open-minded parents… long story I don’t want to get into. When she wouldn’t acknowledge her behavior even though there were several witnesses- righteous anger and disconnection has followed. It’s a mess I’m still navigating but I’m better now. Helps that the messed-up witch has left my life.

I am familiar with Harry Potter fanfics, yes. I consider some of them better than the original version. The Sinister Man’s tales for example, where Harry goes to Slytherin and Rita Skeeter is transgender but his positive ally. You’d have to read it to see how the author makes it work. Privately message me and I’ll send you a link, same for any other fan. The story in question has adult themes, but nothing sexually graphic thus far (they’re doing book 4 at the moment).

Far as my ficverse, I have decided to modify my stories a bit so I get away from fanfic a bit and not foster an exploitative attitude towards certain things. I’ve been doing it since I resumed writing in this genre this past spring. My main male character is an Original Character, a playboy type who’s a more ethical character than the usual stereotype- he has an open marriage and is a Casanova but not an exploiter, more Bruce Wayne or reformed Tony Stark than Brian Warner or worse people. He has dated celebrities but it’s mostly in the past. Seann William Scott is the inspiration and intended actor, although Doug Ramsay never acted like Stifler in American Pie. I’d get more into it, but this is not my thread. Read my work if you want, hope you enjoy it. Otherwise I can take or leave your advice. I’ve been in the adult online writing game since the 90s, I think I know what I’m doing. :)

I am also reading some Loving Wives stories to see how honest the criticism can be. So far I’m not impressed. These people have agendas. They don’t like when an author doesn’t write for them. Never mind that good authors are their own best audience and they know their fans well too. Never mind that no one asked these trolls to read and comment as they do. The best advice I can give people is to take things with a grain of salt and keep writing. I’ve dealt with such people before. Thank goodness this place is not full of gaslighting backstabbers like some sites I’ve departed in the past. Or people like the aforementioned relative. If you have further advice or specific feedback on my work, please message me privately. Thx. Later.

Gamblnluck- Thank you for your clarifications. I appreciate your advice and that you have not lashed out at me as much as I first thought. Forgive me, last night I was dealing with a malignant narcissist relative kinkshaming me in front of small children and their open-minded parents… long story I don’t want to get into. When she wouldn’t acknowledge her behavior even though there were several witnesses- righteous anger and disconnection has followed. It’s a mess I’m still navigating but I’m better now. Helps that the messed-up witch has left my life.

I am familiar with Harry Potter fanfics, yes. I consider some of them better than the original version. The Sinister Man’s tales for example, where Harry goes to Slytherin and Rita Skeeter is transgender but his positive ally. You’d have to read it to see how the author makes it work. Privately message me and I’ll send you a link, same for any other fan. The story in question has adult themes, but nothing sexually graphic thus far (they’re doing book 4 at the moment).

Far as my ficverse, I have decided to modify my stories a bit so I get away from fanfic a bit and not foster an exploitative attitude towards certain things. I’ve been doing it since I resumed writing in this genre this past spring. My main male character is an Original Character, a playboy type who’s a more ethical character than the usual stereotype- he has an open marriage and is a Casanova but not an exploiter, more Bruce Wayne or reformed Tony Stark than Brian Warner or worse people. He has dated celebrities but it’s mostly in the past. Seann William Scott is the inspiration and intended actor, although Doug Ramsay never acted like Stifler in American Pie. I’d get more into it, but this is not my thread. Read my work if you want, hope you enjoy it. Otherwise I can take or leave your advice. I’ve been in the adult online writing game since the 90s, I think I know what I’m doing. :)

I am also reading some Loving Wives stories to see how honest the criticism can be. So far I’m not impressed. These people have agendas. They don’t like when an author doesn’t write for them. Never mind that good authors are their own best audience and they know their fans well too. Never mind that no one asked these trolls to read and comment as they do. The best advice I can give people is to take things with a grain of salt and keep writing. I’ve dealt with such people before. Thank goodness this place is not full of gaslighting backstabbers like some sites I’ve departed in the past. Or people like the aforementioned relative. If you have further advice or specific feedback on my work, please message me privately. Thx. Later.
Share your stories with the room with a link if you want. Unless it's at another site. You can IM if it is. Mr. DangerKight oops that T-totally wrong, @AchtungNight, I'd love to read what you've written.

Activity or 'views' does not mean the story was read. It simply means it was opened. Many stories are not read past a look at the first few paragraphs or even the tags. Often it is skimmed for content and then re-read later.
A long story might be viewed several times as the reader works his way through the story a few pages at a time.
Sometimes the story elicits a 'gut response' or is enjoyable and interesting to read so the reader reads it a few times to catch things they missed the first read.
Activity has nothing to do with that. It's the portion that tells you; [user] commented or favorited [story], or followed you, that you submitted a story, or commented on one, and so on.

Activity has nothing to do with that. It's the portion that tells you; [user] commented or favorited [story], or followed you, that you submitted a story, or commented on one, and so on.
I misspoke using the word activity. I was referring to views or reads as many refer to it. That count does not necessarily reflect reads but each time the story was opened, even to review comments others might have made.

Back