Spring, Glorious Spring

Oh, my !!!!

It's the first REAL day of spring. Brilliant sunshine, 60+° (~16° C). There are buds on the daffodils and lots of blossoming crocus.

The first long bike ride beckons on Wednesday. It's supposed to be 64° with sunshine and a solid twelve hours of daylight.

ETA:
Now they're predicting 75° for Wednesday.
It's delicious.

3/8/16 (or 8/3/16, depending): break out the shorts !!:D

Last edited:

The place is carpeted with snowdrops.

640px-Bank_Hall_Snowdrops_Feb_2009.JPG

Winter is over in SW Ontario. High teens during the day and above freezing at night. What a shitty winter! No ice fishing, no pond hockey, no cross country skiing.

Oh well, maybe will have a nice warm spring to make up for it. Awful early though.

Not much spring melt so Thames should drop down quickly. Hopefully some warm weather to get some big carp active.

The weather is awesome. Sunny and warm but not hot. It could stay like this all year.

The forsythia is about two days away from busting out— the stuff is blossoming a month early. I could get to like El Niño.

Don't get used to it— it won't be this way next year. La Niña follows as part of the ENSO cycle.

640px-Forsythia_suspensa_4090392_%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A7%E3%82%A6%EF%BC%88%E9%80%A3%E7%BF%B9%EF%BC%89.JPG

The air is perfumed with the delicious smell of lilac. Combined with the smell of newly spread mulch, the air is thick with a deliciously funky odor.

640px-Lilac_Flower%26Leaves%2C_SC%2C_Vic%2C_13.10.2007.jpg

A splatter of white shit from the sky on the deck. Mostly cloudy. Isolated rain and snow showers in the morning. Patchy morning fog. Highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s. Variable wind to 10 mph.

Crocus
Snowdrops
Pansies

They're all out.

640px-Crocus_longiflorus5.jpg

480px-Galanthus_nivalis.jpg

Ain't it sweet ?

Just think— four months of longer and longer days, eight months of warmth.

HOT DAMN !!

I still have another month till spring gets started here.....maybe 6 weeks.....2 months really before I dare plant anything outside.

I'll enjoy holding on to the grey/rain/snow as long as I can before the orbit gets far enough around for that Cali sun to cook off the PNW winter and get the grow season underway.

Get the iris, dahlias and peonies making more bulbs for me, find out how many Japanese maples and redwood babies I lost over the winter.

Gonna be a good year, already got nearly an oz of gold in my pocket just from the wash out ditches and culverts......mountains of product growing, multiplying, water is bountiful and the ground is soaked, fire risk minimal.

Yes, it shall be a good growing season for all the things :cool:

I spent 3 hours today pulling weeds out of this fancy flowerbed that came with this house. Lots of my neighbors have rocks instead of mulch. I'm gonna look in to getting rawks.

It's Crocus Day !! Right on time.
(Each year I record the first day I spy blooming flowers)

Crocus
Snowdrops
Pansies

They're all out.

Next Sunday is the time change for us here, we spring ahead one hour ,that is next Sunday not this Sunday just so we’re clear 😀🤪

Wooo. I don’t even know when I went from virgin to experienced obviously this GB doesn’t require much to be experience because, I have no idea what I’m doing!!

Dafodills are all spent here. Supposed to hit 90 this weekend. Just waiting for the pool to heat back up.

Back