Extended Author Notes for "In The Sauna With Sis and Her BFF"

8letters

Writing
The story of the story
I got an email from my friend TM:
You know, you could always have your characters hanging out in the sauna together during a cold winter's evening. One of my neighbors built a backyard sauna from a Costco kit as a Covid project. It's a barrel-style, like the one below.

That email had a picture in it of two young women wearing towels in a sauna. He then sent me another email with four more pictures of young women using saunas. One of those pictures was two young women wearing bikinis in a sauna. There was something about that picture that I really liked.

About this time, I was contributing to the Realism VS Fantasy thread. Here is my first contribution discussing threesomes:
What are the relationships going to be like after the threesome? So many stories I read, it's like "the three have sex, and everything's great afterward." No! There are now three sexual relationships instead of just one. That strikes me as being far more difficult to manage and navigate.

Is one woman going watch while the other fucks the guy, and then they switch? Or are the two women going to go full FF sex? If they're going full FF sex, has one or both of them had sex with a woman before? If the women have been heterosexual all their lives, I find it implausible that they suddenly want to go full FF sex, particularly in front of a guy.

Threesomes are my favorite fantasy. A lot of the stories I'm thinking about writing have threesomes in them. But they are so implausible in so many stories.

One of my favorite AH contributors, @Bramblethorn, replied:
IME, sometimes one ends up with four sexual relationships - each pair has its own relationship going on, but there's also a three-person relationship that's more than just the sum of those pairs.
:
My benchmark for realism in poly stories is whether the people involved have to set up a shared calendar app to schedule things.

(Kidding, but only very slightly.)
I replied back:
Something that gives stories verisimilitude to me is if the characters have the "what happens tomorrow" mapped out before they have sex. And I can see in some poly stories that the people involved have agreed to integrating their lives so much that setting up a share calendar app would be appropriate.
I didn’t reply again, but I was thinking at that point, “I’d really expect people to map out how the relationships would work long-term before starting a threesome.”

So that inspired me to write a threesome story where the person initiating the threesome has how the relationships are going to work long-term mapped out in her head before she starts making it happen. And then, things snowball and they wind up going far beyond what the initiator envisioned.

Character names
Around this time, TM emailed me a news story about Holly Madison detailing her ‘traumatic’ first night sleeping with Hugh Hefner. Holly was on the E! show “The Girls Next Door” which followed Hugh Hefner’s three girlfriends - Holly, Kendra Wilkinson and Bridget Marquardt. Coming up with character names is a chore for me, so I went with the names we were discussing. When I sent the first scene to TM, he replied, “It would be awesome if their mom's name was Bridget. Any chance she could join them in the sauna as well, preferably in the smallest possible bikini?”

I’m curious about how many readers will guess the inspiration for the character names.

More background of the story
When I finished the story, I didn't think it was very good. It's an incest story where the brother isn't interested in his sister and has to be talked into taking every step with her. Kendra is too domineering. I don't think bisexual characters make for a good FMC because that implies that aren't going to be happy being faithful to the MMC. Kendra and Hugh going from being friendly to telling each other "I love you" in a few hours is very implausible. Everything that happens once Holly joins Kendra and Hugh in Hugh's bedroom is even more implausible. I absolutely loved the kitchen scene and thought it was hot as hell, but I felt the rest of the story didn’t work that well.

So it sat in rough draft form on my hard drive for almost two years. I hated not publishing something I spent so much time on, but I didn’t want to spend months getting negative comments on my latest story. When I started republishing my stories, I decided to pull it out, buff it up, and publish it. If it got a lot of negative comments, it would hopefully be the main story getting comments for only a week.

I buffed it up and sent it to my beta-readers, and, to my surprise, they really liked it. So now I’m hopefully that it’ll do well.

Title
Sadly, the title I wanted - “In the Sauna with My Sister and Her Friend” - was too long. The titles on Literotica are limited to 35 characters unless the site owner agrees to a longer title. My second choice, “In the Sauna with My Sister and Her BFF”, is also too long. I definitely wanted to keep “In The Sauna” in the title as that is the click-bait part of the title. Eventually, I came up with “In The Sauna With Sis and Her BFF”.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Have you considered posting these sort of ext-notes as stories? You'll put them as "essays". That way, the readers of your stories will find them right next to the story.

Posting them here means that most readers never get to see them -- because they're not searching the forum.

Hmm.

Have you considered posting these sort of ext-notes as stories? You'll put them as "essays". That way, the readers of your stories will find them right next to the story.

Posting them here means that most readers never get to see them -- because they're not searching the forum.
There's a link to the extended author notes at the end of each story, so they don't have to search the forum to find them. They just have to click on the link.

Back