Building an extended "Universe"

Theylo_Bleu

New Author of Eros
Hello!

I am new to the world of actually transcribing eros into text, but I have been writing for years. One thing I love is building stories out, seeing the universal effect of a main character's family and relationships, etc.

All to say, I started writing a "series" (awaiting for it to get out of the purgatory of "pending moderation" but...) as the Main Character developed, I began to realize her family had stories to tell too. I'm wanting to graft a bunch of stories, series, chapters together.

Does anyone else have experience having crossover characters, having people you meet in one series that originated in a different one? Guiding readers through the different series(es) in the way that best tells the story, etc...?

Any tips or tricks?

Also, would love to get feedback on the flow and forward movement of the story thus far as it continues to develop.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=7503822&page=submissions

Note: MNR stands for My New Roomy

Best and thanks!
-TB

Yep. All my stories are in the same geographical area and have crossed over a time or two.
I love a good cross over event!

Do you have a sense of like "read this first" or can anyone dive in anywhere and understand your world without issue?

I love a good cross over event!

Do you have a sense of like "read this first" or can anyone dive in anywhere and understand your world without issue?
Not really, unless the story has a Part 1/Part 2, the stories stand alone even though they cross over. And my "world" is more for me in any case.
Stacy is introduced in this Mature story, MILF Cruise - the Cougar
She cameos and the Robinsons are introduced in this I/T story, Pretty Please
And they all cum together here in this Group story, Strange Flowers
And I have future plans for all of them.

So far, all my stories focus around a similar subject, so they are less crossover and more in the same "series". But I did plan to write some things on the side which would have some minimal interactions.

Paging @oneagainst who is I think up to ~160 submissions in the same world.
Well now that's really exciting! Its funny. I was thinking if my world had an "end" and I think, not narratively. I feel like to get that many submissions, just keep having new ideas. I kind of like that.

Not really, unless the story has a Part 1/Part 2, the stories stand alone even though they cross over. And my "world" is more for me in any case.
Stacy is introduced in this Mature story, MILF Cruise - the Cougar
She cameos and the Robinsons are introduced in this I/T story, Pretty Please
And they all cum together here in this Group story, Strange Flowers
And I have future plans for all of them.
Love that. I like the idea of, perspective be damned, if someone could fit well into this scenario, then they're invited too. But, because they already exist, it can add a sense of familiarity and "what would they do if they were here" type vibe.

So far, all my stories focus around a similar subject, so they are less crossover and more in the same "series". But I did plan to write some things on the side which would have some minimal interactions.
That's another way to do it! I sometimes see people who have a series going and the categories for all the stories will be all over the place, but the characters maintain throughout. And then, perhaps you're talking about, a similar theme or category that unites the stories, even if people and places change/vary? Very cool!

Does anyone else have experience having crossover characters, having people you meet in one series that originated in a different one? Guiding readers through the different series(es) in the way that best tells the story, etc...?

Any tips or tricks?
My story-verse is very joined up, but I leave it to readers to find out.

I've often given side-characters a story of their own, and many characters get cameos in other stories. I have several repeated characters (my male leads) who are different iterations of "fantasy me" at different ages. They're easy to write because I know their personas (and I'm lazy), and in any event, it's the women in my stories who interest me, not the men.

My main trick, though, is to give the individual series or stories their own, stand-alone titles, and not bother with any over-arching master title - there's never been a master plan. The "joined upedness" has happened spontaneously over a decade (nearly), and I've just kept it going.

My story-verse is very joined up, but I leave it to readers to find out.

I've often given side-characters a story of their own, and many characters get cameos in other stories. I have several repeated characters (my male leads) who are different iterations of "fantasy me" at different ages. They're easy to write because I know their personas (and I'm lazy), and in any event, it's the women in my stories who interest me, not the men.

My main trick, though, is to give the individual series or stories their own, stand-alone titles, and not bother with any over-arching master title - there's never been a master plan. The "joined upedness" has happened spontaneously over a decade (nearly), and I've just kept it going.
I hear that. I struggled with the titling conundrum in the sense that each story could itself be a standalone and that's great, but titling it with the series may mean people may not peruse as much. I went with it because that's who I'm writing the work separately from posting it here, but it was a thought of mine for sure.

Also, my POV characters are the main link for my series entries, which helps keep it focused in my mind.

I like the idea of having versions of yourself you can place throughout your world/work. What "ages" are they?

I like the idea of having versions of yourself you can place throughout your world/work. What "ages" are they?
One is university aged me, Alex.
One is early forties aged me, vaguely with family, maybe married, maybe divorced, who knows, David.
The last is me now, within a decade or so, Adam. He started in his late fifties, but time passes, so I guess he's older now.

Any tips or tricks?
I do this occasionally. I usually just leave the cross-over effect as easter eggs for regular readers to find.

I do this occasionally. I usually just leave the cross-over effect as easter eggs for regular readers to find.
Ooo, see, I like that a lot. In my writer brain, I want people to window in to my creative process, to see what I see, but I have to remind myself to let go and know the reader is gonna do what they do no matter what I want.

But the idea of finding an easter egg in someone's work you appreciate, it feels like a little reward. Love that.

Paging @oneagainst who is I think up to ~160 submissions in the same world.
Paging the 1980's, who want their messaging technology back @joy_of_cooking :LOL:

Yeah, about 165 all done, give or take - I put a reading guide together in the Foreword of the current book:
Only Consenting Adults ch 00 - if people want to read in sequence. There are also cameos of characters from one story in the background of another if you look hard enough, and hints as to when two stories are happening at the same time.

Keeps me off the streets....

Paging the 1980's, who want their messaging technology back @joy_of_cooking :LOL:

Yeah, about 165 all done, give or take - I put a reading guide together in the Foreword of the current book:
Only Consenting Adults ch 00 - if people want to read in sequence. There are also cameos of characters from one story in the background of another if you look hard enough, and hints as to when two stories are happening at the same time.

Keeps me off the streets....
Now that is a smart idea!

I dunno why but I shiver with excitement at the idea of a character just being hinted at in the room. Its wild in written works vs. visual media because they may never get a shout out on the page so the hint-work is a different species entirely than drawing them in the background of a wide shot or obviously scanning the room with a camera. I love it.

I have 3 extended serial stories where a few characters appear. I keep their identities and personalities intact. I keep the theme of that universe as consistent as possible as well. These series are all very long but broken into shorter (averaging 10k words) chapters for easier reading.

Back