Spring, Glorious Spring

It's still cold over here where I live.

giphy.gif

I'm ready to bust out some sandals and my cute, short sundresses. Spring is MY season.

source_photo.jpg

I'm a little jealous of others getting to dig into the gardens and/or enjoying the fruit of the efforts of previous seasons work.

But when summer is in full swing and it's 75f and sunny all day while the rest of the country is cookin' it's tits off I'll be ok with having to wait a few extra weeks.

I hear ya botany
Still 4' of snow on the ground here and forecast for tonight is -2F

Yea, here it's 20/30's slush/snow on and off.

I'm not as far north but I've got a little elevation which extends our winters a good bit most years....I was down in the valley yesterday around the Redding area and everything there was starting to bloom. Generally speaking that means we mountain hillbillies up a few thousand feet have 2-4 weeks before our plants take off.

There's a deliciously funky odour of mulch in the air. The magnolia has popped. The cool spring has kept the jonquils and daffodils blooming.

It's an absolute riot of colour.

640px-Magnolienbluete_freiburg.jpg

The bumblebees are out.

480px-Bumblebee_heuchera.jpg

The furnace is off, there are buds on the trees and I broke out the shorts. It's actually going to hit 70° F today. The courts are ready and outdoor tennis commences this afternoon.

All that's missing is the smell of lilac.

Last edited:

It's 84°, the sun is shining brightly, they're filling the swimming pool, the forsythia, the magnolia, the cherry trees, the buttercups and the dandelions are all blooming.

It's an explosion of colour.

The tennis courts are in great shape; I got in four sets this morning. It was like the middle of the summer.

Life is very, very good.

Cherry blossoms, azaleas, dogwood blossoms, rhododendron, mountain laurel, redbud blossoms.

It's a rainbow of colour out there.

640px-Red_bud_2009.jpg

By Sballal

One week the trees are all bare. A week later, all the leaves are out and the view is blocked.

It really is amazing.

In the month of April, the forsythia bushes grew a foot and a half in height.

The snowdrops and crocus are out.

960px-Crocus_sieberi_Tricolor08.jpg

The forsythia is blooming.

540px-Tree_dsc00856.jpg

Back