Rewrite some ones story

That's what I thought would be the answer, and I am kinda glad that it is the answer. I just read the link that was posted, sorry didn't find that in my searching.

I guess I will try and write an original inspired by the world created by XXX giving that author credit for the inspiration. Hopefully, this will be enough as theirs is the only story that I can find with this concept.
Thanks for the feedback.

Oh boy, here we go again.
The OP has already gotten the info he needed and made a decision. Just in case anyone missed that.

Update- I just submitted a report to Amazon asking that Elara Wolfe's stolen story from me be taken down. I hope they will comply. If I ever find out who Elara Wolfe is and where they live, they better be prepared to give me an apology and have donated or be ready to donate to charity a sum equal to all their financial profits from my story. Or they should expect a partial re-enactment of a pivotal scene from the View Askew film "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back".
I think you'd be lucky to get an apology, and maybe police or a gun if you went banging on their front door.

I think Heart of Darkness was in the public domain. People can create movies or TV shows about Omaha Beach, but they can't simply lift Saving Private Ryan and redo or expand it.

Actually they can. Certainly one must be careful about it. How many TV episodes base their plots on specific classic westerns, most of which are still under copyright today?

One off the top of my head because it's a personal fave is the Speed episode on Father Ted. And yes it does have an added layer of protection since it is a parody, but the entire episode is based on the movie Speed. Speed was released in 1994 and Speed 2 was released in 1997 just months before the Father Ted episode, so not only was Speed not public domain but it was 100% current.

Coreyc, you're read some stuff here in the last eleven years, but yet you want this as your first submission? So you've hit a block with your other story. In another post you said you had 52,000 words. That's more than every series I've ever written. You probably can break it into chapters and start publishing those. I know, the rule of thumb is to finish it all first, but consider it at least. Or see if you can write a 7,000 word story. That's plenty of room to tell a tale.

I think Heart of Darkness was in the public domain. People can create movies or TV shows about Omaha Beach, but they can't simply lift Saving Private Ryan and redo or expand it.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I think the analogy holds. If you want to write fiction about D-Day, say, there are plenty of angles by which to approach it.
52k could be one or multiple stories. It is about novel length, so it's not too crazy. I've seen fanfic writers brag about their one story longer than the bible. Insanity.

That is EXACTLY what you did. You ripped (your word) hundreds of words from at least two other writers - you bragged about it yourself - and put them into a story. Is your memory so bad you don't recall doing that?
Read English. That is not what I described.

I used ~10 sentences from another Literotica author's story in an attempt to improve the authenticity of a story. The sentences were spread out in both stories. I did not use any characters, plot points, or scenes from the author. The story had 25K words. I felt at that time that what I did was within the site rules. Now, I think what I did is not within the site rules because I didn't contact the author first and I didn't give attribution to the original author. I made a mistake. But from everything I've seen since then, using sentences from another author is within the site rules. Which, of course it is. No one could write a story here that doesn't have at least one sentence from someone else's story. There aren't that many ways to describe having sex. The site did not take the story down. It was taken down at my request. And I have no plans to republish it.

I made a mistake. It was over a year ago. Laurel seems fine with everything I did. Move on.

Coreyc, you're read some stuff here in the last eleven years, but yet you want this as your first submission? So you've hit a block with your other story. In another post you said you had 52,000 words. That's more than every series I've ever written. You probably can break it into chapters and start publishing those. I know, the rule of thumb is to finish it all first, but consider it at least. Or see if you can write a 7,000 word story. That's plenty of room to tell a tale.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I think the analogy holds. If you want to write fiction about D-Day, say, there are plenty of angles by which to approach it.
Wicked. It's based off the movie, not the book, the play is based off the book based off the book. Being one thing Disney doesn't own; they also did a spoof of Oz on Once Upon A Time and it was as legally close to the movie as any iteration ever was, except probably The Whiz, as I just saw it described on a Youtube video I watched last night.

I made a mistake. It was over a year ago. Laurel seems fine with everything I did. Move on.
You keep on rationalising it to yourself whichever way you choose. None of it changes what you did, what you are. You never got it, you still don't. You're a plagiarist. You don't get to escape that fundamental fact.

Actually they can. Certainly one must be careful about it. How many TV episodes base their plots on specific classic westerns, most of which are still under copyright today?

One off the top of my head because it's a personal fave is the Speed episode on Father Ted. And yes it does have an added layer of protection since it is a parody, but the entire episode is based on the movie Speed. Speed was released in 1994 and Speed 2 was released in 1997 just months before the Father Ted episode, so not only was Speed not public domain but it was 100% current.
I'll take your word on it; I"m not familiar with copyright issues. We are sure that coreyc should not take over someone else's story without their permission.

We are sure that coreyc should not take over someone else's story without their permission.

To be clear I do agree with that. To straight up take the characters, setting and continue on without permission is extremely bad form and I totally can see why literotica would nix it.

However there is also fanfic. I'm not a huge fan of fanfic but I can't say that it's not valid fiction. This is not to say that I believe that literotica should allow it or not). But with fanfic of course you must credit the original and you must be clear that you are not profiting, merely paying homage. I also can't see how the fame (or lack thereof) of the original work would change the definition of fanfic.

I think you'd be lucky to get an apology, and maybe police or a gun if you went banging on their front door.
Yes. But I may or may not be bringing police (and possibly other heavy duty persuaders with me) too. The person will not know the hour of my coming either. And note that I didn't say which scene I would enact. I believe there were many scenes in the movie, not all involving a knock at the front door and not all involving violence. Jay and Silent Bob also confronted at least one violator of their right to their own personas- Bangy Edwards- with civil negotiation, if you remember. I may be perfectly glad to do the same if I get the same in return. I leave my exact actions vague for purposes of surprise.

To be clear I do agree with that. To straight up take the characters, setting and continue on without permission is extremely bad form and I totally can see why literotica would nix it.

However there is also fanfic. I'm not a huge fan of fanfic but I can't say that it's not valid fiction. This is not to say that I believe that literotica should allow it or not). But with fanfic of course you must credit the original and you must be clear that you are not profiting, merely paying homage. I also can't see how the fame (or lack thereof) of the original work would change the definition of fanfic.
Fan fiction is like a gray area. A big one. Ya ain't really gotta credit either. It's not just gray because writers are using others properties to write stories, there's also the avoidance of it with the creators because they don't wanna accidentilly use a plot and risk a chance of trouble, legal or otherwise. Some authors stop writing it for various reasons.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on this, and they do vary quite a bit. I am going to try and answer some of the above, as things are getting a little finger-pointy.

1)No, I am not going to take someone's story and claim it as mine. I think it's better to write something of my own. I may base something in their world, but I will make sure I give them the credit that they deserve.

2) Yes I am in the middle of writing a rather large story (70k and growing) but I am not happy about the flow as of late so I am taking a break from it and working on some outlines for other thoughts.

3)At this point I am planning on doing a 7k-10k story as my first or breaking the beast up into chapters and post one or two to see what people think.

Again I didn't intend to get anyone mad or start anything, I getting confirmation of what I thought before I did anything.

We can argue about what the Site, as a practical matter because of its lean staffing and inconsistent enforcement of its story norms, allows, but this is what the express policy is, based on the exact words of Laurel in a message to me, which she authorized me to share:

"Our policy on works derivative of other Literotica author's creations is: to avoid conflicts after posting we ask that you please contact the original author and get permission before submitting and let readers know in the intro to the story that you have such permission."

That, to me, settles the question once and for all. We don't have to try to read the tea leaves based on observations about what stories over the last 25 years have slipped past Literotica's monitors.

We can argue about what the Site, as a practical matter because of its lean staffing and inconsistent enforcement of its story norms, allows, but this is what the express policy is, based on the exact words of Laurel in a message to me, which she authorized me to share:

"Our policy on works derivative of other Literotica author's creations is: to avoid conflicts after posting we ask that you please contact the original author and get permission before submitting and let readers know in the intro to the story that you have such permission."

That, to me, settles the question once and for all. We don't have to try to read the tea leaves based on observations about what stories over the last 25 years have slipped past Literotica's monitors.
I thought this thread was done, but it keeps going anyway. It's not merely the site's rules, it's just wrong to do it without the author's permission. I think any site or publisher would have the same rule.

After this much time, it's probably impossible to find the original author, but so be it.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on this, and they do vary quite a bit. I am going to try and answer some of the above, as things are getting a little finger-pointy.

1)No, I am not going to take someone's story and claim it as mine. I think it's better to write something of my own. I may base something in their world, but I will make sure I give them the credit that they deserve.

2) Yes I am in the middle of writing a rather large story (70k and growing) but I am not happy about the flow as of late so I am taking a break from it and working on some outlines for other thoughts.

3)At this point I am planning on doing a 7k-10k story as my first or breaking the beast up into chapters and post one or two to see what people think.

Again I didn't intend to get anyone mad or start anything, I getting confirmation of what I thought before I did anything.
I am curious about what you mean by their "world?" I assume this must be some kind of fantasy or science fiction setting. You could say that one of my "worlds" (setting, actually) is the City College of New York. It's a real place, so anyone can write about it if they choose to. I would know, however, if someone was basing it on my stories.

Then you say that you will "give them the credit they deserve." That is a really bad idea, because you'd be admitting outright that you took it from this person.

Nobody is "mad" at you. You asked about it and almost everybody gave the same answer.

You had it right earlier. Take the story premise and create your own stories and characters based on what you like about the dynamic, the relationships the kinds of activities they found exciting.

Guarantee that will be a better story than trying to extend or continue someone else' work. if you look around, every possible combo of every story has already been done 62 different ways, but each of them has has their own flavor. Find that and you will have your own unique audience. Same way every writer does here.

This isn't a coin toss. Almost no one here wants their stories or characters used without permission. Which means it would be the worst possible way to start trying to build your own body of work here. You're much better off doing your own thing and connecting with others here to build support for your work.

No offense to the OP, I guess, but frankly these threads are becoming tiresome. And it can't be a coincidence that they've shown up in sudden droves over the past few months, either.

Then you say that you will "give them the credit they deserve." That is a really bad idea, because you'd be admitting outright that you took it from this person.
Yep, legally you are acknowledging that you took it from this person and you are also pointing to "the violation is here."

No offense to the OP, I guess, but frankly these threads are becoming tiresome. And it can't be a coincidence that they've shown up in sudden droves over the past few months, either.
Yep. Think we're being trolled. There's, at best, one writer here who thinks this is a good idea and a handful of profiles claiming to want permission to do this for their "first" story here.

Have to be honest with anyone who might be sincerely asking and hoping anyone who really had the same question will see a body of these posts saying that nobody thinks this is a good way to get started here.

Let's close this thread, I have my answer and we are going around in circles.
I will stay completely away from that author's story, premise, and the theme that they had put forward.

Dead horse beaten.

Let's close this thread, I have my answer and we are going around in circles.
I will stay completely away from that author's story, premise, and the theme that they had put forward.

Dead horse beaten.

The threads get repetitious on this subject, but one has to remember that there's always a steady influx of new members in this forum, who aren't familiar with old threads, and they have the same concerns everybody's always had. So, there's nothing wrong with re-addressing familiar questions for new audiences.

I think your openness to taking in information and responding to it on this issue is probably much appreciated by many authors who've weighed in on the subject.

Back