Recognition for New Poets

Take music for example, poetry with sound

every one likes different types of music so a person who likes classical tries to read a country and western poem, and then give a critic on it? Like a rap lover does a critic on heavy metal, the flow in the mind would make it a difficult read to do a HEAVY METAL song with an unwraped mind.

But just like kids love to talk music SOME poets will dabble in the talking about music rather it is serious or just a spat about what they like or dislike. But rarely do any of the chatter about music change the music.

My Erotic Tale said:
thanks 12

(me) billy jack vs james bond (you)<laughing>

You stated; (as you did in a thread that attempted to praise those that give the time unthanked and too often maligned)

I find that critics jump in with both feet willing, due to the love of that type of mental swirl. opinions are like ...well you know the line. (my self included)

lets use james bond and billy jack...billy jack writes a poem

sun over heated rock
a spotted lizard hops
taking my silver
like the night stars glitter

now james bond is an educated man and critics this poem and his say is...

I like the spotted lizard part hopping from hot rocks by the sun
and taking silver <I didn't truely understand but flowed well.
if it is sunny how did you fall into night stars
add more, perhaps thesarus a few words
and not so vague

so here is the opinion and view from a reader but has nothing to do with the reason, feelings and moment the poem was written...

in the hot sun a lizard hopped by and took a small pouch of silver dust from billy...there for he wrote the poem by fire light that night and condensed it totally to what he felt was his perfect wording for a poem about what happened. So, the time factor actually comes into play here, james bond has the time to dabble his thoughts on a poem, call it critic? When I read your poem ...there is no way I would or could put my mind where you were to write that...just as you don't see the river the way I do. <grin> or a dew drop....

if you see a poem as blue and I see a poem as red we can only do one of two things...except each others view...or....>grin<...debate it

And what does a teacher do?

I think I understand what you are saying but let us take grammar for example. One can point out a word selection or comma placement and still not be a lover of that type of poem.

quasar said:
And what does a teacher do?

I think I understand what you are saying but let us take grammar for example. One can point out a word selection or comma placement and still not be a lover of that type of poem.

Do you feel a need to point out a fault of the poem
or to embrace it's true nature?
I find we all stumble on grammar and we learn more about it as we persue to learn. Such as the vast amount of submitted "How to write" catagory offers most of what is need to conquer most grammar factors. I say it is the mind set of those that feel a need to express a correction rather than except poems and life in general for what it is, some are able to and others are never satisfied with life.

My Erotic Tale said:
Do you feel a need to point out a fault of the poem
or to embrace it's true nature?
I find we all stumble on grammar and we learn more about it as we persue to learn. Such as the vast amount of submitted "How to write" catagory offers most of what is need to conquer most grammar factors. I say it is the mind set of those that feel a need to express a correction rather than except poems and life in general for what it is, some are able to and others are never satisfied with life.

Amen big guy. You say it the way I see it - you can nitpick a poem for all its grammar errors and misspellings or enjoy the read. Most times I overlook the technical details and enjoy the read. Though I have been known to point out a few misspellings - mostly in diplomatically written PMs. I'll leave less positive comments for others to post who are more focused on other things.

Now get outside and enjoy the return of blue sky! :catroar:

LeBroz said:
Amen big guy. You say it the way I see it - you can nitpick a poem for all its grammar errors and misspellings or enjoy the read. Most times I overlook the technical details and enjoy the read. Though I have been known to point out a few misspellings - mostly in diplomatically written PMs. I'll leave less positive comments for others to post who are more focused on other things.

Now get outside and enjoy the return of blue sky! :catroar:

thanks leon

a persons personality comes out in their words and obviously some are un happy in life and these types tend to vent by leaving comments that show their personality ...and there are also some great people that leave words like a ray of sunshine, enlightening and warm. There is always a ying yang <grin>

My Erotic Tale said:
thanks leon

a persons personality comes out in their words and obviously some are un happy in life and these types tend to vent by leaving comments that show their personality ...and there are also some great people that leave words like a ray of sunshine, enlightening and warm. There is always a ying yang <grin>

I soooo agree. :rose:

I think some peeps just try to bring others down ... if not that, then it is their warpped way of trying to get'm to suck it up and fight, so to speak.

Either way, my opinion ... read alll you can.
Write whatever comes to mind.
Then you can go back and edit, or whatever needs to be done.
Just go with your gut and it will be what you wanted it ...

Just my opinion ~

Happy Writing ~

:rose:

RhymeFairy said:
I soooo agree. :rose:

I think some peeps just try to bring others down ... if not that, then it is their warpped way of trying to get'm to suck it up and fight, so to speak.

Either way, my opinion ... read alll you can.
Write whatever comes to mind.
Then you can go back and edit, or whatever needs to be done.
Just go with your gut and it will be what you wanted it ...

Just my opinion ~

Happy Writing ~

:rose:

I always recall the saying that there are two kinds of people

when you build a home you have those that come and praise you, pat you on the back and acknowledge your hard work and creativity. Then there are those that wish to tear it down, pick it apart and generally be disatisfied with anything.

The reason why they do this is also different, some do it for jealousy others may be a clone of their parents and will never shed their unhappy spats all the while telling you they are happy <grin> I can only say that I was fortunate to have a very wise and cheerful mother...whos motto is.."If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all" I must take from my dad's side cause I voice my say when I feel it is needed <grin>

My Erotic Tale said:
I always recall the saying that there are two kinds of people

when you build a home you have those that come and praise you, pat you on the back and acknowledge your hard work and creativity. Then there are those that wish to tear it down, pick it apart and generally be disatisfied with anything.

The reason why they do this is also different, some do it for jealousy others may be a clone of their parents and will never shed their unhappy spats all the while telling you they are happy <grin> I can only say that I was fortunate to have a very wise and cheerful mother...whos motto is.."If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all" I must take from my dad's side cause I voice my say when I feel it is needed <grin>

This must be a universal "Momism" ~ but if I don't say anything at all, it doesn't mean I can't say anything nice; maybe I just choose to be silent, maybe I'm just pooped, and, just maybe, the author's writing stinks to high-heaven ~ I rather like that little bit of mystery that surrounds my silence. But you go on ahead and vent your opinion; the world also needs straight shooters; something to serve as counter-balance to the nebulous gobbledygook of politicos.

:D

LeBroz said:
This must be a universal "Momism" ~ but if I don't say anything at all, it doesn't mean I can't say anything nice; maybe I just choose to be silent, maybe I'm just pooped, and, just maybe, the author's writing stinks to high-heaven ~ I rather like that little bit of mystery that surrounds my silence. But you go on ahead and vent your opinion; the world also needs straight shooters; something to serve as counter-balance to the nebulous gobbledygook of politicos.

:D

thanks leon

yes we have a lot of "ying yang" here and that is great balance...it is also the sandpaper effect., where those that don't see eye to eye rub the other in a less than favorable way.

You always point out things in a favorable manner, if others could be as kind and insightful with their words this forum would be a great place to learn but it is hard to "Hear" some one who has their nose pointed into the air.

thanks leon for being a great example for those who wish to point out flaws in poems. Like Du Lac who has a literary major....I have found her to be very helpful and does not put her self on a soap box above others...

not to mention she is the only one that I know here...that has such credentials, Pat is a math teacher and Angeline an ex editor...and that's it....the rest of us are either here cause we published and or fun.

Last edited:
Joseki ko ....may not be new...
but hasn't posted in almost a year and as you can read he creates some interesting reads....thanks Ko~

I am liking this new poet

Cmry

She has spunk, and Boy can she write. :nana:

Go read, and make her feel welcome. ;)

( plus, She has taken a liking to me,
and well, thats just does not happen everyday. :D )

Rules!

My Erotic Tail said:
Lesson for The Poem Academey

Basic Poetry:
(Thanks Wicked)
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link
but I can open up the door for what terms
mean in poetry.

I had no Idea for instance...
I get all the time in my poems/comments
that my meters off....
(heck didn't even know I had one...lol)

so here are some basic poetry terms
and definitions

Meter:
There are 5 basic rhythms of stressed
and unstressed syllables used in english poetry.

Meter = rhythm pattern

(stressed syllables are in caps)
Two-syllable foot meters are
Iambic:
That TIME of YEAR thou MAYST in ME beHOLD

Trochaic:
TELL me NOT in MOURNful NUMbers

Spondaic:
BREAK, BREAK, BREAK on thy COLD GRAY STONES, O SEA!

Three syllable feet meters:
Anapestic:
and the SOUND of a VOICE that is STILL

Dactylic:
THIS is the FORest priMEvil, the MURmuring PINES and the HEMlock there
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simile:
Figure of speech comparing two unlike things that is often introduced by like or as.
examples: cheeks like roses
quiet as snow
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rhythm:
Each unit of rhythm is called a "FOOT" of poetry.

Every line of poetry contains a certain number of feet.

Monometer = 1 foot
Dimeter = 2 feet
Trimeter = 3 feet
Tetrameter = 4 feet
Pentameter = 5 feet
Hexameter = 6 feet
Heptameter = 7 feet
Octameter = 8 feet

and so forth ...

REMEMBER .. foot = a whole unit of meter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Limericks: (oh I like this one...hehehe)
Limericks are humorous verses.
It is a five line poem with a rhyme pattern (aabba).
The rhyme should be catchy and flow together.

examples:
Ogden Nash:

A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "let us flee!"
"Let us fly!" said the flea.
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.

limericks ©0_Seeker_0

there was a girl from Wales
who told so many tall tales
she started one story
it became so gory
that all of her readers turned pale

jailed ©Delicate_Flower

so many voices demanding attention
confined in a cell for infraction'
no legal advice
the guards, they aren't nice
the dog pound's a place of rejection
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poetic License:
The liberties poets take in regard to diction,
grammar, and pronunciation (lol)
to achieve effect or to adhere to the
requirements of a poem, such as meter
or rhyme. Assonance would be an example
of poetic license in regards to a rhyme scheme.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Haiku:
Haiku is a highly structured form of
oriental poetry. Each poem has three lines.
The first line contains five syllables, second line
contains seven syllables and the third
line contains five syllables. Traditionally
haikus are nature based subject wise.

hope ©Delicate Flower

rainbow of color
found suspended in the sky
heavens gift gives hope

© jenn

on the horizon
oppressive humidity
a storm yet to break

nature smiles © jenn

brilliant yellow suns
shining upwards, spreading warmth
black eyed susans dance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thats enough for now and also what
I see the most of here.
These and many many more are at "Basic Poetry"
Inspired me...hehehe...I really liked
the limerick and I also seen where uncle perveys
been doing some...might give
it a go...Night
Art~[/QUOTE
These are the "rules" I was talking about. Poetry comes from the heart, not by following "the rules." So what if one line flows differently than the next, as long as it flows. That would be like saying a public speaker could never change his "tone" of voice, or while telling a story, then directs his comments directly to the audience, could just imagine what would happen if someone stood up and said, "You broke the rules, and that is not allowed in public speaking!" What if a painter was told he could not mix red and orange? Oh my! Anyway, watch "Dead Poets Society." Poetry should flow from a persons heart, and throw "the rules" away! The rules squelch creativity!

~ Lonelypoet

Thanks

Hi Tristesse,

Thank you for the welcome. I am new to writing poetry.
I navigate the forum to find out more.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Lonelypoet said:
These are the "rules" I was talking about. Poetry comes from the heart, not by following "the rules." So what if one line flows differently than the next, as long as it flows. That would be like saying a public speaker could never change his "tone" of voice, or while telling a story, then directs his comments directly to the audience, could just imagine what would happen if someone stood up and said, "You broke the rules, and that is not allowed in public speaking!" What if a painter was told he could not mix red and orange? Oh my! Anyway, watch "Dead Poets Society." Poetry should flow from a persons heart, and throw "the rules" away! The rules squelch creativity!

~ Lonelypoet

These are the "rules" I was talking about. <<< to whom were you talking to?

Hello Lonelypoet~

welcome to the Poem Academy...
I can't argue with you...that would be arguing with my own thoughts about the unique creativity of poetry with out the boundrys of grammar but...there is something to be said about being knowledgable about what you do. That way when some one reads my poem and says "perhaps you should have written this as a sonnet," I can reply, "no, I didn't want it to be a beating bouncing read but rather a slow moving river of prose. Okay I admit Some of this stuff rubs off on ya' as ya hang around the place.

SO... Lonelypoet....got a poem? care to share?

and as for the rules?..I am a tad in the dark where that come from so I will post the opening of the thread and that will clear up where I stand and how this thread does not go by any RULES <grin>

have a good day (~_~)

The Academy for Poetry~ (in this thread only)
..........IS NOW OPEN.........................

I have been encouraged and Inspired to start
a thread that reviews/comments/feedback
Poems that don't get recognition.
(Thank You WickedEve, Liar and Angeline)
This site (Lit) puts out quite a few poems.
It is hard to comment and review them all.
Some don't get the recognition they deserve.
The Poets are what I will call in a
college level. I am at a High School level
(Okay elementary Nursery Ryhme level, but anyway)

I admit I am at the learning stage of poetry and don't
understand alot about sonnets, wit, sic, meters and
so forth (Thanks Wicked) But am reading and learning
more all the time. As I read the poems here at LIT~
I become Inspired. As I read them I will comment/discuss
any poem I find moving or needs recognition. Or that
I learn from. I encourage any to do the same, here.

This is a thread designed to encourage new and old
poets. You can post with a link to your poem (or just give it's name and date posted) and it will be read by me or another.

This is a poem playground at the Poetry Academy
We can learn, post, write, encourage and Inspire together.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS CREATED
TO ENCOURAGE...not discourage!

Please post your Poem, comments
AND /OR Poems/Feedback
or educate me in a conciderate manner.
Thank You
Art~

Last edited:
gram mer
by My Erotic Tail ©

gram mer

me was telled
words will fell,
if they aint spelt just rite.

that cuntry boy,
with a pincel or pin,
cant rite or tipe.

that skool is fo
me tu lern,
i beter do it rite.

mom said werds
cum from within
and beter grammers hipe.

that if you can read
me hart felt werds,
that wil be alll rite.

My Erotic Tale said:
what is a geraund?
I'm sure you mean gerund, right?
Do you want to know what one is, or are you asking the students of the poetry academy? :)

Here's something I've saved that may be helpful:

Gerunds Don't Dance:
"ing" Endings in Poetry
an editorial by Mary Margaret Carlisle, Managing Editor

Many teachers train beginning poets to use gerunds as an easy way to achieve a simple internal or external rhyme. Although fine for light or romantic poetry, problems abound when gerunds are used more than a few times in any poem.

An "ing" ending adds no real meaning; "ing" is a weak modifier, an addendum that turns an active verb into a passive gerund. An adjective that was once a verb is not as vital or strong as the verb itself. Too much modification does not help writing of any kind, and in poetry may encourage a drift into flowery language.

In addition, a heavy reliance on gerunds turns attention away from meaning and inadvertently puts more emphasis on how the words sound. This dependence can dilute a voice so much that it becomes like a gentle wind in the trees--soft and lovely as it passes, but the meaning can quickly fade away.

An active voice that is crisp, vivid and unique becomes passive with an overuse of gerunds. And just as using a "southern drawl" in dialogue slows action to a crawl, remember that gerunds don't dance, they walk.

Clip most "ing" endings from your work. Instead, choose words imbued with power and strength that stand on their own without modification, and your work will move in a more memorable and meaningful way.

I still occasionally have to chop excessive ings from my poetry. That's one thing I include in my edits. I check for cliches, too many gerunds, unnecessary words, etc.

WickedEve said:
I'm sure you mean gerund, right?
Do you want to know what one is, or are you asking the students of the poetry academy? :)

Here's something I've saved that may be helpful:

Gerunds Don't Dance:
"ing" Endings in Poetry
an editorial by Mary Margaret Carlisle, Managing Editor

Many teachers train beginning poets to use gerunds as an easy way to achieve a simple internal or external rhyme. Although fine for light or romantic poetry, problems abound when gerunds are used more than a few times in any poem.

An "ing" ending adds no real meaning; "ing" is a weak modifier, an addendum that turns an active verb into a passive gerund. An adjective that was once a verb is not as vital or strong as the verb itself. Too much modification does not help writing of any kind, and in poetry may encourage a drift into flowery language.

In addition, a heavy reliance on gerunds turns attention away from meaning and inadvertently puts more emphasis on how the words sound. This dependence can dilute a voice so much that it becomes like a gentle wind in the trees--soft and lovely as it passes, but the meaning can quickly fade away.

An active voice that is crisp, vivid and unique becomes passive with an overuse of gerunds. And just as using a "southern drawl" in dialogue slows action to a crawl, remember that gerunds don't dance, they walk.

Clip most "ing" endings from your work. Instead, choose words imbued with power and strength that stand on their own without modification, and your work will move in a more memorable and meaningful way.

I still occasionally have to chop excessive ings from my poetry. That's one thing I include in my edits. I check for cliches, too many gerunds, unnecessary words, etc.

thanks Eve..
I was curious what it was...
I get a lot of these words that make me giggle.

Dialectic dialogue? (O_O) << this sounds like a 1-900 babe number <grin>
dial-lectic dial-lounge

Last edited:
My Erotic Tale said:
gram mer
by My Erotic Tail ©

gram mer

me was telled
words will fell,
if they aint spelt just rite.

that cuntry boy,
with a pincel or pin,
cant rite or tipe.

that skool is fo
me tu lern,
i beter do it rite.

mom said werds
cum from within
and beter grammers hipe.

that if you can read
me hart felt werds,
that wil be alll rite.

Ohh muh gudness
I purtineer spat muh drank ahl over muh mawnitur. :nana:

Also, thanks for the comments you left about my poem 'I Crave'. :)
Here's another... a bit of a spoof
Curious to see if anyone gets the vague references to a certain movie ...

The Perfect Man

I have this obsession
To deny it
Is out of the question

The perfect man
Does he have
Blonde hair and a tan?

No, he’s not some creature
From some
Science fiction, double feature

He’s seen blue skies
With his
Deep dark eyes

Through his soft brown hair
I run my fingers
Lewd daydream or erotic nightmare

The silky drape clung to his thigh
Elusive
And a little bit shy

Insane lust taking its toll
Hot Damn!
Bless my soul

Only kissed before
Left me wanting
More, more, more!

He flexed his muscles
And asked me to dance
The Madison, not The Hustle

Thrown into mind flips
My body quivered
As his tongue ran over his lush lips

I took a step to the right
He gave me an evil wink
It was going to be a special night

In just seven days since it began
On a strange journey
With the perfect man

Rebel Rose said:
Ohh muh gudness
I purtineer spat muh drank ahl over muh mawnitur. :nana:

Also, thanks for the comments you left about my poem 'I Crave'. :)
Here's another... a bit of a spoof
Curious to see if anyone gets the vague references to a certain movie ...

The Perfect Man

I have this obsession
To deny it
Is out of the question

The perfect man
Does he have
Blonde hair and a tan?

No, he’s not some creature
From some
Science fiction, double feature

He’s seen blue skies
With his
Deep dark eyes

Through his soft brown hair
I run my fingers
Lewd daydream or erotic nightmare

The silky drape clung to his thigh
Elusive
And a little bit shy

Insane lust taking its toll
Hot Damn!
Bless my soul

Only kissed before
Left me wanting
More, more, more!

He flexed his muscles
And asked me to dance
The Madison, not The Hustle

Thrown into mind flips
My body quivered
As his tongue ran over his lush lips

I took a step to the right
He gave me an evil wink
It was going to be a special night

In just seven days since it began
On a strange journey
With the perfect man

Hello rebel...

I like that rebel rose pic
and I have a dozen or so rose poems <hint I like thorns> grin

I like the poems short spurt poetic feel it leaves, I see your signatuire offers this write <grin> I'll go see. Feel free to share poetry and insight with us at anytime...thanks Art~

and don't forget to REEEEE-BEL!

My Erotic Tale said:
thanks Eve..
I was curious what it was...
I get a lot of these words that make me giggle.

Dialectic dialogue? (O_O) << this sounds like a 1-900 babe number <grin>
dial-lectic dial-lounge

Hey Art, I've got to admit that on your verse, "Kiss" I had to look up the meaning of gerund. And personally, IMHO <grin> I think the pattern of gerunds serves to make "Kiss" a softer, more sensual piece. As Eve's helpful editorial quote points out, the "ing" works best in light or romantic verse. Knowing the mechanics can come in handy ~ especially when fixing your car {whoops - wrong mech a nic}. The rules serve as quides; knowing them's fine but too rigidly followed and your words lose their soul. There ~ that's my 2¢ for today.

;)

LeBroz said:
Hey Art, I've got to admit that on your verse, "Kiss" I had to look up the meaning of gerund. And personally, IMHO <grin> I think the pattern of gerunds serves to make "Kiss" a softer, more sensual piece. As Eve's helpful editorial quote points out, the "ing" works best in light or romantic verse. Knowing the mechanics can come in handy ~ especially when fixing your car {whoops - wrong mech a nic}. The rules serve as quides; knowing them's fine but too rigidly followed and your words lose their soul. There ~ that's my 2¢ for today.

;)

Thanks leon~

your insightfullness is always appreciated. I had forgotten what poem that word was placed and was meaning to look it up but I got less time than a bare tree has leaves <grin> I am slowly and I mean slowly learning the mechanics of writing, a rather I want to or not, the brain absorbs the information. a good thing too <grin>

dialectic dialogue?

Back