2023 Poem-A-Week Discussion Thread

I had no idea what I’d been writing was not poetry but more like prose. I’m guessing this it’s not a problem, but I simply had no idea.

I honestly wouldn’t known prose from a Shakespearian sonnet! I looked it up, but the lines are a bit fuzzy I guess.

A friend brought it to my attention when I asked her to proofread, take a look at and provide some feedback for a long rambling piece I wrote.

Just interesting, I guess.

Tzara I really like and empathize with your Revolution/Supermarket poem. Possibly my favorite concert seen was Jefferson Airplane at a Be-In in Central Park. It was around the time their Volunteers of America album came out and we all sang along, ready to change the world. Of course that was like a gazillion years ago and what the hell happened? I often ponder this while living my mundane (and old!) life.

So your poem resonated with me. It's good to write with others who understand. ☮️

Tzara I really like and empathize with your Revolution/Supermarket poem. Possibly my favorite concert seen was Jefferson Airplane at a Be-In in Central Park. It was around the time their Volunteers of America album came out and we all sang along, ready to change the world. Of course that was like a gazillion years ago and what the hell happened? I often ponder this while living my mundane (and old!) life.

So your poem resonated with me. It's good to write with others who understand. ☮️
It is good to write with others who have had similar experiences. As it is with those who have had different experiences. I was rather startled when the store background music turned out to be Volunteers. Anyway, always good to write with you.

Elvis: Peace, Love, and Understanding.

Hi Wonderer67

Glad I caught your poem (which i loved) earlier today WITHOUT all the commas, periods, etc, etc..

Personally, I dislike punctuation. I love to be able to read freely without being told when to stop, pause - like a waterfall...or river..

just sayin' :heart:

Hi Wonderer67

Glad I caught your poem (which i loved) earlier today WITHOUT all the commas, periods, etc, etc..

Personally, I dislike punctuation. I love to be able to read freely without being told when to stop, pause - like a waterfall...or river..

Thanks! I’m all over the place with punctuation. I started writing with it, then dropped it.

Then I went back to it, because I thought it would give some structure to my long, rambling poems a little bit.

I want noodle your idea around as I work on my next one.

Thanks! I’m all over the place with punctuation. I started writing with it, then dropped it.

Then I went back to it, because I thought it would give some structure to my long, rambling poems a little bit.

I want noodle your idea around as I work on my next one.
Sometimes punctuation serves the poem. I treat each poem separately. If it needs it, I use it. It can be subjective, though.

Hello. New here. I'd love to participate, although I won't post every week. I write stories also, and they tend to burn a lot of creative oxygen. I'll try to post as often as possible, though, and to participate in the forum and support the other poets submissions. I write mostly free verse poems. The best of them rely on strong images, and may use internal or soft rhymes. I use a lot of poetic devices, even though rarely write in formal rhyme and meter. Some of projects may be w-i-p, so you'll get to see how the sausage is made. :cautious:

I had no idea what I’d been writing was not poetry but more like prose. I’m guessing this it’s not a problem, but I simply had no idea.

I honestly wouldn’t known prose from a Shakespearian sonnet! I looked it up, but the lines are a bit fuzzy I guess.

A friend brought it to my attention when I asked her to proofread, take a look at and provide some feedback for a long rambling piece I wrote.

Just interesting, I guess.
Poetry uses devices to achieve an aesthetic result. It gets fuzzy with free verse, because free verse poetry doesn't use formal rhyme and meter. But you can still learn to use your ear, and develop a sense for the flow and music of language. There are devices, other than rhyme, that can make words play nice together. I don't want to give a poetry seminar. Just saying, Hang in there. You'll be fine. Poetry is a learned skill, and we're all in the process of learning it.

Hi Wonderer67

I changed it back to not have any punctuation.

I think I like it a lot better this way.

I am catching up on 3-4 weeks of poems
I’m amazed at people’s work
Craftspeople of words
Artisans
Weaving words into moods
Stories
Capturing moments of time
An amazing community of
Written artists

I used to think I was writing an inferior product
But now I know it’s not inferior
Just different
It ain’t no contest
And if it was I wouldn’t even care
I can barely write my name
I am just expressing nyself
I feel that this community is very welcoming
I still feel like an outsider
A novice
Untrained
But no longer an imposter
I feel
Like I’ve found my voice

@Mrtenant

Love the made up words! “Moanalizing”

“Engineuously, corrulpability, inevitasteability“

Post in thread '2023 Poem-A-Week Challenge (Poems Only Thread)'
https://forum.literotica.com/thread...lenge-poems-only-thread.1579894/post-97209800
Thank you, truly. I love love love making up words. It's silly, but there's a certain something that strikes a chord with me when I do. I amuse myself maybe, idk. I feel like my creativity engages. Prolly too much information, I know, but hell, it's Lit, let's enjoy. 😊

Thank you, truly. I love love love making up words. It's silly, but there's a certain something that strikes a chord with me when I do. I amuse myself maybe, idk. I feel like my creativity engages. Prolly too much information, I know, but hell, it's Lit, let's enjoy. 😊
No. Making up words amuselates me.

I like bustelating up words and mashing em together to make new werds.

Butters I *love* your ode to a lack of inspiration! The details are perfect, a great description of the ideas, tools and tricks we consider (and usually reject) when the poet is willing but the muse is out to lunch. Boy have we all been there (some of us--ahem me, I mean me--repeatedly). I should have posted an additional thread for this challenge: Poems Where I Was Uninspired But Wrote Anyway Because I Had To. 😭😂

Hi OtherMan

Are you no longer posting your illustrated poetry on the Poem-A-Week Challenge thread?

If posting somewhere else on Lit, pls share. Loved them!

edit - oops! I see you had created another thread for them - but nothing new?

Last edited:
Wonderer67, I love your 4H Fair poem. I'm NJ born and raised. My sister was a 4H kid though we were no farm family! Still your poem is so evocative of those county and state fairs I attended as a kid: walking through the displays and looking to see who won a ribbon, the animals, tractor parades, smells, food, the midway. ❤️

Wonderer67, I love your 4H Fair poem. I'm NJ born and raised. My sister was a 4H kid though we were no farm family! Still your poem is so evocative of those county and state fairs I attended as a kid: walking through the displays and looking to see who won a ribbon, the animals, tractor parades, smells, food, the midway. ❤️
Nice comment poetry chick. I'll be opening it next as soon as I can find the thread.
eta: You were spot on @Angeline , my smile just got bigger verse to verse.

Last edited:
re your 'wow', Angeline, on my koala poem... it's horrific, right? as an adult, i am genuinely disgusted these marsupials were ever permitted to be hunted and skinned and made into toys and tourist keepsakes. at the same time, i perfectly recall how i loved it, not knowing any better. :(

in my thinking, it's akin to children brought up with racism or deep religious views that, today, are often (rightly) looked upon as 'wthf???!'

Back