"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

Finally it has calmed down enough for me to write down these events. These past few days have felt like a lifetime. I haven't experienced anything like this since my days in the war and even this is crazier. Who would have thought there would be such things as Zombies actually walking the Earth. Still I am getting ahead of myself, let me introduce myself first and tell you my story.

My name is Troy Hunter and I am a Police K-9 officer with the Australian police force. I came here to deliver a new pup to the Springfield police department. They had put me up in a winery hotel in the country a little way out of town so my dogs could get some fresh air and a place to train before I had to make the presentation. Of course even with my accreditation my dogs had still had to go through quarantine so they had been sent out earlier in the year, and I had come later. I had been here a week to get reacquainted with them and to make sure their training was still up to scratch. Anubis was all good, He was my main dog and at 4 years old still had many good years ahead of him. He was a pure bred German Sheppard and was actually the son of my first dog 'Boscoe', and a bitch called 'Hera'. Boscoe had been my last dog when I had been in the army and I had rostered out with him and used him as my breeding stock at home. He had died last year. The pup had lost a bit of his training but after a few days he was back with it and I thought he would be OK to hand over. He was one of Boscoe's last litter's and word had spread about their effectiveness. That's why he was here. The pup had no name as it was tradition for the new handler to name the dog if it was a pup, but it responded well to dog and pup.

The day of the incident began normally. I got up early and first went to check on my dogs. They had been kennelled temporarily near the pigs and I had been living in the cottage house near them. I took them both for their morning run and then fed and made sure they had enough water. Then I jogged up to the main house. By this time most of the other 80 or so other guests were up and about and I joined them for breakfast. As usual I dined by myself at a little table tucked in the corner and watched the people around me. They were a mixed lot, from a young couple on their honeymoon, to families on vacation all the way up to Old couples moving through to see relatives somewhere else.
Through all the chaos the staff wove in and out of it with practised ease. I had been here so long that their faces had become familiar to. There were about twenty Staff members here at any given time. From cooks, Waiting staff, Housekeeping, Gardeners and Maintenance. Then there were the Owners. Mr and Mrs Thomson were the ones who ran the whole show. They had three children Brett who was 17, Stephanie who was 16 and Vicky the youngest was 15. There was also an Au pair from France Odette Baudin aged 27 who they had hired 5 years ago to help look after the children while she had studied at the college.

The buzz in the Family was of a big football game. Mr Thomson, Brett, Stephanie and Odette were going to see it but Vicky was in a huff because she was stuck at home. Some of the other guests were also here to see the game while a few were checking out. Even some of the staff were talking of the game.It was a big deal around here. I took off after breakfast and spent the time before lunch training the pup. As I headed up to lunch I saw quite a few families and others with hastily packed bags rushing to their cars and driving hurriedly away. Entering the restaurant I was greeted with a scene of chaos. People were rushing around,others sitting around staring at nothing while many others rushed outside with hastily collected lugage and took off. Even staff members were leaving. I found Mrs Thomson standing behind the check in desk with her daughter wrapped tightly around her waist.
“What is happening here Mrs Thomson?”
“Oh Mr Hunter”, she said as if coming out of a trance, “Haven't you seen the news. At the game today something happened and people started to attack each other. They showed the footage and it was horrible, they were...eating each other.”
I looked at her like she was crazy then looked at the chaos around me and decided that maybe she wasn't. It was then that I remembered her family. “Has there been any word from Mr Thomson or your...”, I trailed off as I saw the bleak look on her face.
“I am sure they will be ok” , I reassured her.
She smiled and went back to work and for the next few hours I did all that I could to help her.

Deacon

I looked at Ria,

"I am myself in all ways Ria, I'm sure Derry would have picked up if I was different and so would Cramer and Cassie."

I shook my head,

"But Daniel still needs a talking to and I am afraid that it will have to be my way, that is the only way that people get to learn respect for other."

I glanced around, then grinned,

"I kinda feel out of style here, standing around in hunting camo and nothing else. Perhaps I should get myself a bandolier and some throwing knifes."

It was a joke, but I could see some eyes taking it as serious, I sighed,

"Can we just get going? The flamethrowers aint gonna build themselves."

Cassandra ... or should I say Rambina!!

As Deacon placed the flame thrower on the ground I did not know what to say. Tears started to well up in my eyes. I could tell he had spent a HUGE amount of time designing and building it. He explained how it worked and cautioned me about how explosive it was … I could see some people … were a bit worried about me operating it … after what happened with the squirt gun flame throwers.

I did not care … I LOVE it … I wrapped my arms around Deacon and hugged him tightly “Thanks … that was very thoughtful of you … you’re the best!” I said as tears ran down my cheeks … some might say … that crying just did not go with my new image … but like the pickle in my mouth … I did not care!

We separated and I took a deep breath “Let me check with the roof folks … and we’ll be off” I said. I quickly ran up to the roof and the team said it looked all clear for us to move out. So the team opened the fire doors and we started to move towards the APC.

As we moved slowly to the APC. I thought about two things … Ria’s comment about learning to drive "the tank" … and Deacon’s “Rambina” statement. I whispered to Ria “I think it looks like a cute little tank … but some of the guys get pissed when I call it that … APC or Bradley … I guess are the correct terms.” I explained. “Or if we want to piss them off … cute little tank!” I giggled to Ria.

Then to Derry and Ria I asked louder “What do you two think about “Rambina” … a good name for me?”

Before she could answer, Derry got serious “Zombie approaching …” she pointed out. We all saw the zombie it was a slow mover … before we needed to do anything … the roof team took it down with a few arrow shots.

I climbed up and pulled open the driver’s hatch. One of the guys said there should be a way to open the rear door. I told them to hold on for a second, I needed to figure it out. I found a big button that said “open” and pushed it. An electric motor started and the heavy rear door opened. The back area of the APC could hold 6 people … and there were two spots in the turret and the driver seat.

Cramer and Deacon went crazy once they got inside … Ria, Derry and I just looked at each other like with a WTF expression on our faces. It was like they were at a sales event at Macy’s or something.

Deacon said “This must be where you control the 25-mm chain gun!”

“Hey check this out … here are the launch controls for the ATGW twin tube TOW missiles!”

I turned to Ria “Why would you want a missile to attack people’s toes?” I asked her

“Hey … look there is a second machine gun mounted coaxially to the chain gun!” Deacon said from the turret location. “Too bad nothing is loaded. Maybe we can find the ammo at the armory?”

Cramer was now up part way in the turret as well .. and pointed to another panel “SWEET … this honey is equipped with two four-barreled smoke grenade launchers as well! Says here … It can also be loaded with chaff and flares.” He moaned in pleasure.

“Chaff? … What the hell is that?” I asked him.

He smiled down at me “Sweet cakes … it is the dry, protective casings from seeds … like from wheat and rice … there is a saying need to separate the wheat from the chaff”

Deacon looked over his shoulder “Don’t listen to that smart ass … it is designed to protect the vehicle from radar guided missiles. Something … hopefully we don’t need to worry about.” He explained.

“Ahhh ... you are ruining all my fun!” Cramer said to Deacon.

“Buckle up … ASSHOLES … I’m moving out.” I said as I showed Ria the start procedures.

When I got to the part of the instructions to sound the horn I did it.

“Why do you need to do that?” Ria asked

“No clue … but knowing how the military thinks … the whole vehicle will explode if I don’t do it.” I said

Then I moved the gear selector to START and the engine started.

Ria looked over to me “No keys?”

I nodded “Cool eh … can’t lose anything in your purse or handbag!”

Ria got serious for a second “Cassie … seriously … anyone could have gotten into this vehicle over the last few days and driven off with it. Including Lex! We’ll need to figure out a way to secure this vehicle better!”

I thought about what Ria was saying … I had been an idiot! Shit, she was totally right. “Good point … we’ll need to figure something out.” I agreed.

I released the hand brake and we rumbled out on the main street and headed towards the armory.

The day after the vist to the Knight.

Bart dropped the doctor at his house. Their conversation had been sparse on the way back. Bart drove slowly . The one real topic of conversation was the Doc suggesting that he should move to the Knight. The cut and thrust of the Knight medical room had made him feel young again apparently. Bart saw some of that, but after the zombies had killed two men in the street only one hundred yards away from his home, safety and security were more likely reasons. Bart drove on nodding. Losing the doc would be hard for the street community but how can you stop a man who has made up his mind, especially now ? While the Doc was old, he wasn't blind. Just before leaving he asked Bart if he would be moving to the knight to be with Ria. Bart just shrugged saying nothing.

Bart drew his weapon before entering his house. Cautious now after being away so long. The house he cleared quickly. Placing his weapon on the mantle, safety on, he sat in his favourite old chair. Trying to relax, he pushed the recliner back. His feet up on the foot rest he closed his eyes. The quietness though filled him with disquiet. He moved round in the chair in vein trying to find comfort. Eventually he set the chair down with a thud. Searching through hiss old vinyl collection he found his favourite Doors album. Dropping it on the turn table and turning up the volume, praising the power companies he headed back to the chair.

"you know that it would be untrue".......flowed over him

He saw the whisky in his peripheral vision. A smile. Brabbing the bottle and a wide bottomed glass he settled in the chair.

"Yeahh...yeah yeah yeahhhh"

The first taste was hot and bitter. The second smooth and warming. Skye 18yr old single malt. His favourite. Pouring two more fingers he closed his eyes as the music played. Soon the events of the last days were gone. He was back in his youth. He was with her again. The sun high in the sky, her hair flying wild as they drove. Her smile. He couldn't help but smile himself.

The malt slid down now warming him through. Now he was in the service; his buddies round him drinking in a dive bar in Jakarta. Beers spilling, laughing, bar girls. Good times. Jed his wingman by his side drinking shots. Bart downed his malt.

The songs washed over him. The music intoxicating, the lyric darkening. Another shot.

"and I go back to......"

A shot. He was back with his buddy. This time a dark backstreet, blood seeping from Jed. The stomach of his shirt dark with black, red blood. Breath faultering. Help nowhere.

Bart cut away from his memories. He had been down this path before, he knew it didn't end well. He turned his thoughts to brighter things. Summer in Europe with Helana. The beaches wide, pine trees at the shore, private picknicks. He smiled again now, drinking deaply. Those were the happy days, carefree.

"music turns the mood"

His mind flashed forward. She was in his arms again. The driver of the car muttering something. Her moped mangled. Her eyes closing. Her final breath. He had kissed her then. Kissed her like he could give his life for hers, kissed her with all the love he had in him and left it there with her. He kissed her but he kissed her too late.

Dropping the glass he drank from the bottle. His emotion rising his anger born anew in his chest. A breath. He sucked air in his lungs like a man drowning reaching the surface for the last time. He attempted to bring himself back. His mind filled with zombies, his friends gone, dead. He swam for the surface again kicking hard. He saw his salvation. He saw Ria. The one good thing he had left, the only thing he had. His heart lifted. His thoughts filled with her. He rembered their meeting, the touch of unexpected excitement. Of making sure he got to meet her again. Of the car ride. Their kiss. What a kiss! A kiss that brought him back to life. His mind flashed back towards Helana, but he held on to Ria and held on tight. Unknowingly she had saved him from utter darkness this night.

He heard the Docs words again. Maybe he was right. Maybe he should go to her. No, not maybe. He would go to her. For the first time in his life he would not be responsible for others. This time he would follow his heart, it was the only thing he had left. Duty was dead.

He realized now the music was gone. He had played the whole album and not heard anything but the first song. Replacing the needle on the vinyl he went back to his chair. Pouring a single finger he settled into the soft leather. His thoughts wandered. What would he take, what would he leave? Would Ria want him? Yes, she surely would. A smile broke out over his face. He was sure she would have him, he was sure he was making the right choice. To his surprise, he was sure he was in love. The feeling washed over him warming him through much more than his fine malt. He lifted his glass made a toast to life and to Ria and drank his malt in one large gulp. His heart was singing. Bart was singing!

"Come on baby light my..."

He felt his phone buzz in his pocket. Its had been on silent as not to attract attention from the unwanted. His mind turned to Ria. He had only been away a while and she was texting him. He smiled. Pulling the phone out of his pocket he saw it was a text and smiled. Then he saw it had no contact attached. He was suprised but hey it could a friend with a phone they found. He opened the text.

No message. His eyes widened, his nose flared. Adrenaline rushed through his body. He flung the phone at the couch. Hitting it, the phone bounced in the air landing on the rug by the fire. He closed his eyes shaking his head trying to get the image out of his head. Jay dying flooded back, Helana gasping her last breath flashed into his head. Above them all was Ria. Ria!

Naked from the waist up. Her breasts proudly displayed. A guy he didn't know fondling her. Her nipples hardening. Her face. Her face, eyes glassy, biting her lip. She was fully in the moment. Fully with that guy. He had seen that face. He knew what it meant.

His rage bust. The glass shot across the room smashing into the turn table. The Doors died. Glass smashed everywhere. He drank. Drank until the bottle was empty. Then it flew into the fireplace. Smashing with such force it blew back into the room showering the floor with glass. He was standing now, kicking the chair, his fists slammed in to the large wooden table. He howled a dying guttural howl, pain, hurt, emptiness given evil voice. A noise even zombies would turn from.

Walking through the glass he headed for the door. Flinging it wide open he walked into the street. He was yelling. Cursing the world, calling for the zombies to kill him. Over and over he invited them to end it, pleading with them to end it.

"Kill me just fucking kill me now you bastards!"

The night was still. No movement. No salvation. "Kill me. Kill me!" Desperation was in his voice now. The adrenaline was subsiding. Only now could he feel the pain feel the loss, the utter emptiness. Now he was truly alone. So utterly abhorrent that not even a zombie would touch him.

For a moment in his mind Bart had clarity. Slowly he rose and headed back into the house. Walking through the glass he went to the mantle. Looking down he saw the phone. His anger surged again. He picked it up. From the mantle he picked up his weapon. Taking the decanter from from the table he sat back down in his chair. Swigging from the decanter he opened the text again. The image stung his eyes. Tears filled them as if trying to wash the image away. He stared. His heart pounding. Putting the phone on his leg he took another drink. He looked again, hoping the picture would change. His hand wrapped round the grip of his Beretta. His fingers turning white. Drinking again he flicked the safety off.

His eyes were drawn back to the phone. Tears fell, his huge chest heaving. Finally he threw it away. The whiskey tasted good in his mouth, but almost before he knew it it was replaced by th acrid taste of oil, metal and cordite.

Louise "Lulu" Smith

After the meeting..

Louise sat up half asleep while the children napped alert and worried.She knew they were planning a move from the Knight but worried about who would survive of the sick and if they'd get out safely. She glanced down at the child she was responsible for Fredrique. So innocent and Vulnerable and yet those things wouldn't think twice about snacking on him or any of them.

She sighed and straightened things. She kept her shotgun safe. She had grabbed it off a dead feed on her way in there and Kept it for security when she was hiding with the others. She had heard about Mr. Asthuli's Death. It was sad to know men would die like this. Her thougts drifted to her family and fiancee. She was worried could barely sleep and knowing Michael risked himself out there for her made her proud.

"Loiuse.. Louise are you ok?"

She shifted putting her hand on the gun.

"Relax I was just checking on you. You look like hell" Robert said

She chuckled and shook her head "Says the devil" she joked patting next to her so he could sit.

" Im fine just worried I guess." She said looking at him settle in beside her" Your gonna sleep in here too?

"Dont see why not it'd be safer to nap here with you and most of my kids are here napping so.. Yes"he said brushing the hair out of her face. "Just relax were fine ok? I wont let anything happen to us up here ."

She nodded and moved his hand "Right..."she said laughed then gave him a look "Robert stop flirting its gross and im not interested"

He laughed and shook his head " A guy can try"

"And fail.. Just friends ok? "She said

He nodded "Agreed"

Lola walked in and sat squeezing between them earning a look from Robert "Hey you guys left the meeting."

Louise nodded "I knew you'd come tell us about it Lola besides the kids were restless I grabbed some dry books and brought them up. I heard about relocation and I think its great I think we can make some makeshift weapons to help with school supplies and recyclables."

When Deacon and I rejoined the Knights people in the main area, all I could see was very tired and discouraged people surrounded by what still looked to me like quite the mess. Shaking my head, I thought, (The library will never be the same, but...maybe as horrible as it was with that attack, maybe we will find a better, safer place to live. I know I am willing to do what it takes.) I looked up at Deacon whispering,

"Let's keep last night to ourselves...at least until things have stabilized around here. I am going to see what I can do to help. I know you have a lot of things you want to get working on, so let's just meet up later, if and when we can."

Seeing him nod in agreement, I smiled back at him, turned and made my way towards a small group of people. I helped here and there, when it was needed and about an hour later I made my way to the storage shed where I knew Deacon was working. I was worried about the fact that he had some scratches from the fighting. He reasured me several times he was fine, in the end he kissed me and shoved me out the door.

I sighed once then turned around making my way towards the area near the basement door. As I came closer I saw Cassie... all rambo-like dressed and looking awesome. Some of the reactions were not very positive, I walked right up to her and put my arm around her shoulders grinning,

" Wow gal, you look awesome, you got one of those pickles for me?"

We both laughed at that and the others carried on, some shaking their heads at the two of us...which of course made us laugh even more. Plans for going to the armory continued until Cassie and Daniel got into it... over who would be driving the APC. I backed off a few steps chewing on the pickle that Cassie had handed me. I knew she could fight her own battles. Once it was over, Cassie turned to me gruffly asking,

“Does Deacon want to go?”

I tilted my head as I swallowed a bite of my pickle finally replying,

"Well, I can't speak for Deacon, but if I know anything about him, I would say the answer would be...yes. I do know he wants to finish some projects today.

Moments later Cramer put in his opinion of Cassie's new look, adding that she could ride with him anytime. We both laughed at his cigar puffing attitude, but it did make Cassie defuse little, it was clear he wanted to get a move on as he added,

''Lets grab Deacon and we'll be ready to roll...he's wanting to find a Barrett .50 cal I'd imagine.''

I smiled at Cramer;

I think you have to hang on for a while Cramer, but we will get organized as soon as possible, before you know it we will be on our way to the armory. I spent the rest of the day helping here and there. There was no way I would get Deacon out of his storage shed, so in the end I slept alone in my room.

The next day, I was to learn how to use my new crossbow, Deacon had done a great job on it, and was an excellent teacher. In no time at all, I had the basics down, he told me to carry on practicing and off he went to make his flame thrower. I did as I was told for a few more hours until I felt pretty confident, then putting my things together I went downstairs.

I got some food and went to my room to eat and take a quick rest, before finding Cassie and the others that were supposed to be going on the armory mission. I was just in time to hear Deacon's hilarious comment;

"Now you just need a rolled up bandanna tied around your forehead and we can call you Rambina."

There was some disgruntled words from Daniel who then stomped off, we all were silent for a few moments, before turning back to the matter at hand, of getting ready to go on the armory mission.

Last edited:
I nod to Deacon as he showed up after vanishing awhile, damned if he hadn't built a real flame thrower. As Cassie had come to tears over the thing hugging Deacon, I pretend to check the ammo in a clip not having time for all this. Clearing my throat hopefully gets the mushiness to end, as the fire doors were now opened I was the first outside. ''Lets git this tin can open fared up and haul ass...daylights burnin Ya'll!''

I had a thing for military vehicles and was feeling like a kid with new toy, when Cassie and Ria climb inside the ramp finally lowered. When Deacon and I walk up the ramp into the APC we're grinning, we check out the weapon systems enthusiastically. Crawling up into the turret I hear Cassie's question and chuckle ''Chaff?…What the hell is that?'' I smiled down at her ''Sweet cakes…it's is the dry, protective casings from seeds…like from wheat and rice…there is a saying need to separate the wheat from the chaff.''

Deacon looked over his shoulder ''Don’t listen to that smart ass…it is designed to protect the vehicle from radar guided missiles. Something…hopefully we don’t need to worry about.” He explained. I look over my shoulder with puff of cigar smoke at Deacon. ''I was gittin to that part big man...yeah Cassie what he said.'' After a bit more weapon system talk the ladies didn't understand, Deacon and I sat down opposite one another as Rambina fires her up. ''I don't know whether to be glad or scared she's drivin.''

Stretching out my long legs I put my hands behind my head, comfortably lulled by the rumble of the big diesel engine. Deacon was quiet for now as he rode along across from me, looking as comfortable in the APC as I was. Our conversation on the Knight roof after a night of hell, it had made a difference and got me back on my feet. I hadn't thanked him for it but he knew I was thankful, the unspoken bond we had was definitely a strong one. We both were going to make damned sure we protect everyone, with the world turned upside down over night everyone pulled together.

By 6oclock that night more than half of the guests had left and ten of the staff. Dinner had been prepared and eaten by the remaining guests and most of them had now retired to their rooms even though it was so early. I was sitting with Mrs Thomson, Vicky and one of the cooks a Mrs Brady when we heard the sound of a car screeching into the parking lot. Quickly Mrs Thomson and I were out of our seats and moving towards the front entrance. The car pulled up directly in front of the doors and Brett, Stephanie and Odette tumbled out. All three of them were covered in scratches and blood but they looked ok except for the wide eyes and looks of shock on their faces. At the moment they were running on adrenalin and probably had been for a long time, pretty soon they would crash and big time. Mrs Brady had followed us and I asked her to get some sugary drinks for all of them as Mrs Thomson crushed her family to her. I didn't think she had processed the fact that her husband was not with them yet but it would hit her soon enough. I got them moving and soon had them sitting around a big table in the restaurant. Vicky had immediately crawled into her brothers lap and refused to move and he had just cuddled her. By this time Maddy had noticed that Bob was not there but had not said anything. Mrs Brady brought over several pitchers of soft drink, orange juice and chips and they hastily began to eat and drink. Finally Brett looked over at his mum and began to talk.
“It was horrible mum. One minute everything was fine and the next people were screaming and panicking and all hell broke loose. Luckily we were sitting right next to an exit, so dad just got us to run straight outside and towards our car, but as we got near it we saw more of those creatures so we decided to hide. We bolted from the stadium and made it to the college grounds and found a place to hide in a small building. We were safe for about ten minutes but when most of the people had run away those things started to hunt differently. Before they would just run after anything that moved and was human. Now they began to walk around sort of aimlessly, but whenever they heard a sound they would all converge on it. Some would run really fast while others just shuffled over, but eventually there would be a mass of them at the one area looking for whatever had made the noise and usually we heard screams coming from there soon after. Dad told us we had to get out of there as we wouldn't last long before we accidentally made a noise or some zombie bumped into us. He had spotted a car with keys in the ignition two hundred metres up the road and was sure we could make it. We waited to the area was clear before we opened the door and then dad heaved a fist sized rock he had found way down the street. It boomed off several cars and suddenly Zombies were flooding the street heading towards those cars. We waited until the rush subsided and then we crept towards the car. We were almost there when two Zombies came around a parked car and almost crashed into us. One of them reached for Stephanie and the other went for dad. All of us kicked and punched them and we broke away and ran for the car but the noise had attracted others. Between us and the car there were now several zombies approaching and coming from a side street were several fast moving ones. Dad grabbed a piece of wood from the ground and told us to run straight for the car and drive straight here, then he turned around and started banging on cars and yelling at the top of his voice while sprinting down the road. All of the Zombies hurried off after him as we stood still, then we ran to the car and drove home. Mum I'm sorry “, Brett said with tears running down hid face, “ but I didn't know what else to do. I don't think dad made it Mum, but he told me to go...he told me.”
Maddy hugged her son to her and held him as he cried himself out, then she put all of her children to bed. Finally she allowed her own grief to break through and Mrs Brady comforted her. Later after she had been put to bed Mrs Brady and I had a little talk.
“Looks like our little town is in some serious shit”, she began.
“That it is, but my question becomes, is this local or is it global?”
Mrs Brady's face turned white at that but she nodded in understanding. “The computers behind the desk all have internet access. We might be able to learn something from them.”
Nodding grimly I followed her over to the desk and luckily they were still up and running. We hit a few of the more popular news sites and sure enough reports of other Zombie outbreaks had been reported all over the world. We looked grimly at each other and shook our heads. We might be ok for a few days out here but eventually people or Zombies would find us and then we would have to defend ourselves. For now though we needed sleep, tomorrow would be a tough day.

Peter

Peter watched the team move out in the APC. He gave a heavy sigh. He still felt bad for the way he had acted and had been trying extra hard to help and not let his ego take over. “Just keep it up” He whispered to himself “It will take 100 nice things to make up for the one bad thing you did”

He looked around the library to see what else there was to work on while the folks were away. The people not recovering from the virus were already working on the regular assigned tasks … cooking, cleaning, etc. Based upon the laundry piles … They really needed a new dryer (and washing machine for that matter). He thought about the Gerlinger Annex next door. It was a female exercise facility; there must be lots of machines in there. When the zombie had been let in through the side fire door …that area wwas screened off to outside zombies because the car barriers. There was no way for zombies to get in there … and the one in there had all been killed. Maybe a team of folks could go over to the annex by that route and get access to the washers and dryers?

Peter went looking for a team of folks to help him. He got TD Silverman, and Max to help … but they needed one more.

He poked his head into the students’ area and saw Louise, Robert and Lola. Louise … She was one hot number! He had not gotten a chance to get to know her better. This in his mind meant he needed to know her in a sexual way!

He pushed back his full hair and put on his best charming look. The naughty twinkles in his eyes were back again.

“Louise and Lola … always a pleasure to see you two. Hi Robert” He said but his eyes did not leave the two attractive girls.

“How is everything going with the kids?” He asked and listened to Lousie’s answer that involved more supplies for the makeshift weapons.

“I’m gathering a small group to explore the Gerlinger Annex … there should be a bank of washer and dryers over there. Might be able to find more supplies for the makeshift weapons as well. Do either of you want to come along?” He asked his eyes on Louise.

The Armory Team Runs Into Trouble!

(video on Bradley APC)

http://www.military-today.com/apc/m2_bradley.htm

I was having fun showing Ria how to drive the APC. I turned the yoke this way and that way … showing her how to steer it. As we headed down the 126 freeway I saw some zombies … or my new word for them "FZ" for FUCKING ZOMBIES.

“See those FZs … over there” I told her as we peeked through the driver’s periscope.

“Yes” Ria said.

“Watch this!” I said as I head right for them. There was a slight bump … and then they were gone … under the treads of the vehicle.

“TEE HEE” I said

Ria looked at me “You are enjoying this WAY TOO MUCH”

“After the attack on the library I have a new attitude … I am tired of being scare … I want to become a new person … I want to become Cassie, gun toting, “Rambina” zombie killing machine!”

“Are you sure you did not get a scratch or something?” She asked me.

“No … no scratches … just a new kickass attitude!” I said, “you get to drive on the way back .. ok?”

“Sure” Ria said.

We pulled in the National Guard Armory and I notice my car was missing. Lucky there were no zombies visible. So I stopped the APC. And we opened the hatch… and the rear door for the guys.

Everyone got out except Derry, she had been fooling around with the APC radio and was still doing it when we arrived. Deacon had also left his homemade flamethrower in the back of the APC.

Cramer and Deacon headed over to one of the Humvee’s as Ria and I walked around APC to look at the main door to the big armory building. That is when we heard a human voice yell at us.

“PUT YOUR WEAPONS DOWN … NOW!! … OR WE’LL FUCKING BLOW YOUR HEADS OFF”

Ria and I stopped but did not drop our weapons. Cramer and Deacon jumped behind the Humvee.

“NOW!!” the voice yelled at us.

Ria and I started to remove our weapons and place them on the ground. I yelled back “WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR ANY TROUBLE … WE THOUGHT THE PLACE WAS ABANDONED”

“YOU TWO … BEHIND THE HUMVEE … YOUR GIRLFRIENDS ARE DEAD IF YOU TRY ANYTHING” the voice said. Ria and I completed putting our weapon on the ground … I was only in the skimpy top and cargo pants. Ria was wearing a pair of coveralls, and they fit well enough … so they could tell we were unarmed. I noticed Ria had quickly pressed her cell phone auto-dial button. But the guys from the building would not have been able to see that. Whoever she called … could hear everything that was being said.

“FIRST, YOU TWO WOMEN WALK OVER TO THE FRONT DOOR … HANDS UP” The voice said. Whoever was talking was well hidden no one could see him. It sounded like he was on the roof. But he could have been anywhere.

We walked slowly to the front door. The door (huge heavy steel door) cracked a small amount and a gun barrel came out. Looked like a hunting rifle and it was pointed right at me!

“Both of you, on your knees, hands behind your head, and cross your ankles!" The voice behind the door said. We did as we were told.

"Are you military?" the guy asked Ria and I from behind the door.

"No … but we have lots of friends who are" I replied, lying.

Ria added “They told us about the National Guard Armory on North 28th street”

I figure out what Ria was doing … she was telling whoever was on the phone where we were. Smart … I needed to start thinking ... and do the same thing.

"Well, we ain't afraid of the Army. They left us out here to die. FUCK THEM!!” the voice behind the door said. “This whole thing was caused by the US government anyhow … its payback time.” He said.

“YOU TWO … BEHIND THE HUMVEE … YOUR GIRLFRIENDS ARE DEAD IF YOU DON’T COME OUT FROM BEHIND THERE. HANDS UP IN THE AIR … NO WEAPONS … IN FACT I WANT YOUR SHIRTS OFF.” the voice on the roof yelled.

Last edited:
Deacon

It was like coming home, the Bradley was a vehicle I was well-versed in, but since it was Cassie's find, I allowed her to have her fun. I just sat with Cramer and I watched Derry as she turned dials on the radio, I could have told her how to use it, but most of the time it was best for people to figure out things on their own. We pulled into the Armory yard and a quick glance around proved that there was more than enough vehicles and most likely weapons and ammunition around as well. When the voice called out, Cramer and I handled as one, ducking behind the humvee.

To my absolute horror Cassie and Ria tried to talk their way out of this and to top it all off they gave up their weapons! I shook my head as I looked at Cramer, then pointed to the roof above us, indicating two, their silhoutes broke the shadow of the roof, then I pointed to Ria and Cassie, the rifle barrel which stuck out of there proved that no matter what we do, one or both of the girls were dead. Then I idicated his pistol and it's magazines and made a hiding motion towards the humvee, if we should get break, we would at least have one firearm. There was no way they didn't see the rifle and they would search the vehicle if we came out of hiding without the rifle.

"All right! But what keeps you from mowing us down if we come out?"

There was a moment of silence,

"You don't trust a fellow survivor?"

I forced a hard laugh,

"The last fellow survivor I trusted lead a gang of zombies to my hiding place, the one before that tried to stab me and leave me behind so that the zombies wouldn't catch me. Also my mother taught me to not trust a man who can't look you in the eye."

I paused, taking a deep breath,

"So unless we get to see at least some of you, I am not coming out, go ahead and shoot the women if you want, that will only lose you whatever leverage you had in this situation."

I knew that they expected us to just give up and walk out and hand them our weapons, but that was not how I was raised and if I started trusting every stranger's words, I wouldn't survive any longer. From inside my shirt I drew two small glass bottles, filled with napalm and soaked trips of cloth dangling from the holes in the lids. I placed these on the inside of the tyres, meaning you would have to crouch down in the front or back to see them. The third I kept with me, along with a match book. It was basically all weapon I had with me, apart from the knife and machette.

"If they start shooting, we split up. I will take the guys in the building, you take the snipers."

I held the jar ready, ready to avenge Cassie and Ria should anybody wish to hurt them

Day two
Today began with a grim mood. I decided to keep my dogs with me at all times now and nobody seemed to mind. Vicky took an instant shine to the pup and luckily he liked her too. For some strange reason they were a bit skittish around the older two and Odette but they only growled a bit then whined. I filed that away for future reference but put it down to a residue stink of Zombie on them.
Everyone had gathered in the restaurant and after a light breakfast was served buffet style Maddy called a general meeting and explained the situation as it was known. By the end of it most of the people had decided to try to get home even though others like myself tried to convince them to stay. By lunch time we were down to only the ones staying here. We were a very mixed bunch. Including Myself, The Thomson's, Odette and Mrs Brady, there were another 5 members of staff including 2 gardeners or farm members, 2 families of 4, 1 honeymooning couple from Canada, 7 single people, 3 females and 4 males and 3 old couples. 35 people all told. Not many to hold back an invading force especially considering that 6 of them were over 70 and 6 were kids under 20. I knew we would need some form of basic defence structure but we would not be able to defend all of the winery. From my regular walks with my dogs I knew the main building and winery would be our only place to defend. It was totally enclosed except for the road entrance and parking lot near the restaurant. With any luck the winery would have something to block it off with.
By talking to the Gardeners I found out that they had plenty of fencing materials, wire, nails and even some barbed wire that we could use to block off that entrance way. The boards and nails would also come in handy to block off the low windows in the winery, Restaurant and the hotel. What was also good was that there was plenty of sharp tools that we would be able to convert into weapons.
All the able bodied people piled in to help and with their help and the couple of tractors we roped in, we soon had a decent barricade built and the older kids had made a good start on boarding up the windows. Then the gardeners brought up lots of sharp tools and things that they thought we could turn into weapons. They brought up several dozen barrels of fuel, both diesel and petrol which we stored in the winery as well as cleaning products and fertilisers. Maybe someone could look on the internet and find out how to make those bombs everyone always talked about.
By the end of the day the winery was pretty well defended and we were well on our way to having a nice arsenal of weapons. It had been a good day.

Ria

At the armory

I almost jumped in my seat when Cassie sounded the horn. She told she didn't know why she had to do it when I asked her, but since the military deemed it the proper procedure she did it because otherwise the motor might blow up knowing how the army works. I grinned.

The army and its regulations, traditions and manners ...

"Maybe they just want to announce the enemy they are moving ..."

The rest of the drive went pretty well, it was fun to watch Cassie steer the thing around. Only when she used it to deadier some zombies I frowned my brow.

She kind of enjoyed it too much. And I was worried about the little tank. Which made me grin, thinking of how Cassie proposed to call it that to annoy the guys once in a while. I looked her over though, she wasn't wearing much, I could see no scratches on her arms, and Lee would have told me if she had wounds.

Worried if she had a bout of Napoleon I asked her,

"Are you sure you did not get a scratch or something?"

I nodded as she told me she was sure but simply had decided to not be afraid anymore. It was a decision I could relate to. Hadn't I made the same days ago? It somehow was better to want to kill the zombies than to hide from them. I couldn't have gone outside on Monday if my mind had been set to fright only.

Things at the armory looked quite decent. I could see at least one other tank and some Humvees.

"I used to grin at people who drove hummers in the city some days ago ..." I told Cassie. "Now I would love to have one."

No zombies where around, only a bunch of dead ones. I supposed Cassie had killed these two days ago. Most of the zombies where dressed in street clothes, but some wore military uniforms. Battle-dresses of some sort. I hoped the armory stored some of those. They seemed more comfortable and a lot warmer than an overall. Some almost eaten bodies were around too. One seemed quite fresh and I kept my hand on my machete as I walked up to the main doors with Cassie. The stench was ... Well, pretty much the same as everywhere.

We froze. The voice came from above. The guys jumped behind a Humvee. Derry was still in the tank and I hoped she would stay there. At least she had the flamethrower to defend herself if someone came up to the tank.

“NOW!!” the voice yelled at us. I glanced at Cassie and nodded slightly. I moved my hand and I crouched down to put the machete on the ground. The sheath dangled empty at my side as I rose. It was hard and the hit would sting if I slapped someone in the face with it.I moved my right hand to my left side to remove the other machete from its scabbard.

“WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR ANY TROUBLE … WE THOUGHT THE PLACE WAS ABANDONED” Cassie yelled up to the roof. I paused with my hand on the handle.

“YOU TWO … BEHIND THE HUMVEE … YOUR GIRLFRIENDS ARE DEAD IF YOU TRY ANYTHING” was the only reaction she got.

Well, that left me no other choice than to put this one down also. I dropped my hand in my right pocket, feverishly studying if I had put Bart on the third or seventh place on my quick dial list. My girls were one and two. My Ex was three before I boarded the plane. I had shoved him down for Peter and Cassie and Max on Monday. That made him six. I put Bart on the list on tuesday. But had I simply added him, or had I moved the others down? I had fiddled with the list in the night of the attack, when I sat with Carla, Skip and Andrea. Bart was number three now. I pushed the key and hoped no-one would hear him when he responded.

“FIRST, YOU TWO WOMEN WALK OVER TO THE FRONT DOOR … HANDS UP" came the next command. Cassie and I had no other choice than to comply.

As slowly as possible we took the few steps.

"Yeah?" Bart's voice buzzed in my pocket. I closed my eyes with relief as the door creaked open audibly and a voice told Cassie and me quite loud to get on our knees, put our hands behind our heads and to cross our ankles.

"Fu ..." I heard in my pocket.

In the following exchange I managed to tell Bart where we were.

My position wasn't comfortable; I kept myself as upright as possible. I hadn't put my catapult down, it was still in the pocket on my right thigh and I was afraid they would see it if I leaned back on my haunches. Also, upright I was quicker. We were close enough to the door I could let myself fall against it to shut it, or at least make the first bullet and maybe the second miss if the one behind the door would fire. In turn my move would give Cassie a change to move closer which would it make impossible for the one on the roof to aim at us without breaking his cover.

Cassie and me together could knock this one out, if the guys could take the one on the roof.

The guy on the roof seemed to concentrate on Deacon and Cramer.

Deacon played it cool. Bart needed more information. Deacon had given him some already. But Bart needed more.

"Cassie, if I fall, you pull" I said in a normal voice. I swayed a bit back and forward on my knees.

"No talking you bitches! You better tell your boyfriends you will be dead if they don't move NOW!"

I took a deep breath. You should tell them your names, make yourself a person and not an unknown subject was something I once read somewhere. I swayed a bit more.

"Who are you? Why would you want to shoot Cassie and me? Why don't you allow Cramer and Deacon to get back to our hiding place? We have some food there, and some other good stuff. Why are you threatening us? How much food would you need for the two of you?"

"Shut up! We don't need your boyfriends. You two could have a chance to survive if they come out NOW!"

I decided I had to take the chance.

"Cramer, Deacon, stay were you are! If he kills Cassie and me he has no more hostages!" What more could I tell Bart and Derry? Quick, quick, I urged my brain.

"Nice try bitch. You are too old for my taste anyway."

The barrel moved a few inches. As did I. I shoveled forward a few inches. I heard him draw a breath. I heard Cassie move. My eyes were locked on the barrel. I moved my hands to the top of my head.

"Cassie, pull!"

And then I fainted.
Kind of.

Of course I fell forward like I had planned.

Last edited:
Handing my AR-15 to Deacon and zippo lighter I give a sign, twirling my finger in a circling motion. I point to Derry and then to the flame thrower, with a thumbs up she would nod with a grim smile at me. Dropping onto my belly crawling under a Humvee, and out the other side of the vehicle quietly.

I rise into a low crouch drawing my, 1911 my cigar was out thankfully or the smoke would give me away. Slipping between Humvee to Humvee keeping out of sight, I slowly rise from my crouch still not seen aiming at the man with the rifle I have a clean shot.

I hear Ria yell as loud as she possibly could "Cramer, Deacon, stay were you are! If he kills Cassie and me he has no more hostages!" Deacon eventually would see where I have now positioned myself, behind a Six by truck standing up on the running board. Damn I really hoped we got some backup and pretty damned quick.

I was itching to drop the hammer on that bastard yelling, keeping one eye on the rooftop and Deacon. I was wired and was seeing red thinking about a gun held on the gals, with the K-bar knife on my belt and strap around my thigh. I would have liked to turn that asshole from a Rooster to Hen, running a farm I knew exactly what to do with livestock.

Last edited:
Norah

At the Knight

"Please sit down, Lee!"

He stayed on his feet. I looked around. Several people bound onto bed frames, two bound into comfy chairs withe ropes around their wrists and ankles. Thirteen in total. Almost all who had fought the zombies in that night. All had drips attached to their arms. Lee too. He had taught me how to do it.

"Stop acting stupid, Norah," he had said yesterday evening. "Except me Lola is the only one who has pushed a fucking needle into a body. You know I might need a drip anyway. Now push that needle into my arm. You'll feel it if you are in the vein. The resistance is gone for a second. If you miss that point, you'll push it out off the vein at the other side. That gives nasty bruises. Now get on with it!"

I had been thinking about Cramer. He had acted different the last day. He hadn't once embraced me, or kissed me. Only one short hug. No eating together unless it counted as eating together when there were four other people sitting at the table. So I had pushed the needle in. Three times. He then showed me the rest.

"Lee! Sit down while you eat!"

"You only want me to sit down to put me in restraints." I nearly couldn't understand him. He had only let me in because I had brought him food. He only allowed Edna, Lola or me inside the sickbay since early this morning. And only one of us at the time. It was clear to all of us Lee had Napoleon. "You think you are a better doctor than I am. You are not even a nurse. You have no idea what is going on here. I am the only one who can find a cure against the zombie-ism."

"Do as you please, I only brought you soup", I said indifferently. "I'll sit a bit with John."

"He is fucking mad."

I sobbed. John was unconscious most of the time. When he was conscious he talked nonsense. Not out of pain; Lee kept injecting him painkillers he said. But Lee also had injected himself and others with all kinds of stuff in the last hour Edna had told Peter and Daniel. That was the moment they had sent me in with the soup.

"Are your tits nicer than Ria's?"

It took me a moment to process this. Slowly I turned around.

"Why did you see Ria's breast? Did she need a bandage on her chest?"

Lee came over to me. I backed away, until I touched a bed frame.

"Nope. She was pleased to show them to me. Now, show me yours!"

He reached out with his hands and nearly got hold of my shirt as I ran past him. I made it to the door with him on my heels. Outside I ran into Peter and Martin who had been waiting for my report, and Scotty. Peter caught me in his arms and hugged me tight.

"Hello beauty, how is Lee?"

I struggled to get free.

"Get your hands off of me! Nuts! He wanted to see my breasts! He wanted to see if mine are nicer than R ... someone else's!" I noted how for a moment Scotty's face contorted in an ugly grin.

Peter didn't take his hands away. He pulled me closer to his chest. I kicked his shin. He growled something but only held me tighter. Martin stroked my hair.

"Calm down, Norah. Do we need to get in? Did you see him inject anybody?"

"No," I sobbed. "He is eating his soup. Lots of syringes lay around everywhere and empty bottles. One I could read said "Flagyl" Yes."

"You did see him inject people and you don't want us to get in?" Peter inquired while Martin typed on his phone.

"No! No and yes! Now let me go! Please (I couldn't stop to snivel) Peter, let me go? He almost caught me ..."

"An antibacterial against infections caused by anaerobic bacteria; also amoebiasis, trichomoniasis and Giardiasis. I have no idea what those all are; I only have heard about amoeba. This is serious. He is doing what he shouldn't do at all," Martin told us concerned.

Peter stroked my back.

"It is alright, honey. Scotty, get Daniel and TD ASAP. Tell them we are waiting for them. Go, Scotty! We need to overpower him while he is distracted. Norah, you go in again. Distract him."

"You are nuts. I won't go in again!"

By the time Daniel and TD showed up Peter and Martin had persuaded me to go in again. My knuckles rattled against the door when I knocked. Whispering Peter explained to Daniel and TD what was going on and what had to be done. Lee didn't respond, some other voices did though, with screams and threats. I moved the door handle. The door didn't open. I knocked again.

"It is me, Lee, Norah. I want to see John please." I said with a shaky voice.

No reaction. I looked back at the men behind me. Daniel hissed something to Scotty who went away.

"Keep talking, Norah," Daniel whispered. "Scotty is getting a crowbar."

"Lee-ee?" I coaxed in the sweetest voice I was capable of. "I don't really want to see John. I would like you to look at something. You know what ..."

"No." A hoarse voice said from behind the door.

"You mean you don't know what I want you to look at? But you do. You told me only minutes ago. You wanted to see my breasts. I want to show you ..."

The key creaked in the lock, Martin pulled me aside, Daniel and Peter threw themselves at the door, and TD threw himself at Lee. Only seconds later it seemed a screaming and fuming Lee was bound to a chair. Martin and I checked the patients. A lot had a very high fever. As we took their temperature and added the results to their lists I was got very afraid. All had a higher temp than two hours before, some, like John, Stewart, Andrea, Vince, Paul, even life-threatrning high.

"No more meds, Norah," Martin said softly. "We don't know yet what he injected who. We got to cool them the old-fashioned way. With wet cloths. We have to undress and wash them. Ever so often."

"And we have to put dirt on their wounds again," I added.

I had no time to think the next hours. We tried to find out who had been injected with what how often. Some mysterious notes made me believe he had injected John and Andrea three times two different antibiotics over the last hour and it seemed he had made Paul and Stewart into a control group since they had only small scratches. Others had got other injections at a random pattern it seemed. We also, helped by a prayers murmuring Mrs Asthuli washed them all. Some repeatedly.

Norah

In the sickbay

I don't really know how much time passed before Martin and I had worked out what Lee had done because we had to attend to the all the ill. Carla was the only one lucid enough to tell us something. She couldn't tell us much because she, Andrea and Adder were in one of the small rooms the whole time, bound to their beds. John was in the other small room with Thomas and the others were spread around in the main area and the room that once was a meeting room.

At one time the whole complex was filled with an awful sharp stench. Vinegar. Mrs Ashtuli had wrapped the ankles of those with the highest fever in bandages drenched in vinegar. It was better than the stench we had before though.

Some had diarrhea. And Lee had seemed indifferent to it. Edna couldn't really do much, Lola and I often came to late since he only let us in for short periods of time. One we cleaned and an other one had soiled himself again when Lee pushed us out, telling us he was perfectly capable to take care of them himself.

Before the vinegar appeared Peter came to me. His face earnest.

"Are you alright now, Norah?"

I shrugged my shoulders and nodded.

"I am sorry I held you so tight, but you started to scream ..."

My eyes opened wide as I suddenly remembered how I had hissed at first when he had hugged me. And I remembered he had hugged me after he had caught me in his arms because I came out running. I had already passed him when he got hold of me.

"Lee was, I mean, he wanted ..." tears ran over my cheeks when I relived those moments trying to tell Peter what had happened. "I was so afraid! He said, I didn't really understand at first and then, his face, I ..."

"You panicked a bit," Peter said soothingly while he handed me a few tissues and steered me to John's room. "Understandably. We had our ears at the door, Martin and I. We just decided to get in when you came out." He looked at me, his face one big question as he spread his arms. "If you want?"

I wanted and buried my face against his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and held me while I sobbed, stroking my hair and patting my back, saying "there, there", "now, now" and "It is alright, let it out"all the time I cried.

Why do men think that helps? They could talk about football like my dad did, thinking it would distract me; that would help as much since the only thing one wants to hear is the voice of the person that holds one when one cries.

After a while I noted Thomas voice, rambling about gay-rights and how he would make sure they got the same rights as heteros all over the world. At one point he screamed a bit and Peter shushed him, telling him he was right.

"I am sick of hiding!" Thomas screamed.

"You haven't been hiding. You were one of the heroes who went out," Peter told him. "Now calm down, Thomas, you are frightening Norah."

"I didn't come out off the closet," Thomas said loud. "Only six in the whole hetero world know. I am sick of hiding. It is wrong! I'll make sure we get the same rights! In fact I'll turn the laws around and make it impossible for you heteros to love who you want and marry them!"

Peter stiffened and I forgot to cry.

"Alright. That is a good law. It will teach us a lesson," Peter then managed to say before he started to laugh. "It wouldn't do more harm to the world as what I had in mind for it anyway."

Thomas calmed and only told us that was right and got on with drafting the new laws.

I blew my nose.

"Peter, do you think," my voice died away after the last word.

"Yes I do," he chuckled. "I think often. Just like you I suppose."

"So Thomas is gay," I continued.

"Yes, I think we are right if we think that," Peter still chuckled.

"Do you think Ria did show Lee her breasts? When, why?"

"Oh." Peter ummed a while uncomfortably. "... don't you think that is between Ria and Lee?" He then said in a tone as if he had to educate me. "I mean, they are both adults. When, why, we don't need to know when Ria showed her breasts to Lee and I think we can understand why she showed them and why he looked don't you think? I hope Thomas' new laws don't apply to what happened until now. I wouldn't like to see Ria getting arrested!"

I nearly couldn't understand his last words because he laughed out loud.

"No," Thomas said distinct. "She only took of her shirt to press it on John's wound and Lee only checked her breasts for wounds afterwards because there was some blood on them. I won't arrest them for that. If, and only if, this is the case we are talking about! If she showed him her secondary sexual organs on an other occasion as for a medical treatment they both will be prosecuted!" He ended threateningly.

We assured him that was exactly the case we were talking about. We also had to ensure him Peter was only hugging me because I cried and we pleaded with him to leave hugging between hetero males and females for consolement out off the laws. He said he would take it into consideration.

Strangely this whole episode gave me strength to continue taking care of the ill after Peter left.

TROY
THE WINERY
morning
Day 3

In what I think is coming to be a daily ritual everyone has met in the restaurant. Strangely Brett, Odette and Stephanie look withdrawn and haggard today. Perhaps all their work yesterday on top of their ordeal was not a good idea. Even my dogs seemed more anxious around them. Mrs Brady gave us some good news though. The winery had been gearing up for 2 large functions and the freezers and fridges were stocked to the brim. Along with the wineries own food stocks we really had no trouble with food. Still it would be prudent to ration what we had a little bit just in case, after all we didn't know just how long we would be here.

Maddy was feeling better today and took charge of things more. I was happy to step aside but she put me in charge of the defence of the hotel and told everyone that they were to follow my orders. She also showed me the small stockpile of firearms that they kept. It wasn't much, just a few old style hunting shotguns used for clay pigeon shooting, 3 pump action shotguns mainly used around the farm to discourage rodents and foxes and 2 bolt action hunting rifles that the Thomson's owned themselves and used to go hunting with. As well as that they also owned a state of the art Hunting longbow and arrows that Mr Thomson had bought but never used. There was a fair bit of ammo but again it would have to be rationed. It would be better if we didn't have to shoot and if we did it should be a one shot kill. The shot guns would be useless until anything got close but then they would be devastating. Good thing was they were a point and shoot type weapon so a novice could use them and be effective. The rifles would have to go to people who knew how to use them or they would be useless as would the bow. I decided to take one of the rifles and leave the bow for now. I knew how to use it but the rifle felt right to me.

I put look outs in the turrets of the hotel and one in the top window of the restaurant. They could see everything to the main road and along the vines but at night they were going to have a hard time until someone was up close. The problem was communication. At the moment we had cell phones and luckily the winery had a self sufficient solar farm so power would not be a problem, but I knew that you needed people to run those services and if this was a global problem eventually the internet, the power, cell phones and all the rest would break down. I have to think of something else and soon.

As for Zombies I figure we might have one more day before we saw any. For one we were sort of off the main roads and two given how far a person could walk or even run in a day I figured the distance alone gave us that time. I was proved wrong.

Derry

As Ria and Cassie were busy talking I relaxed while looking around the interior, then I spotted a radio system, thinking, (Geezz I've always wanted to try one of these things out.) Picking the receiver up, I started touching various buttons and switches. Lights went on and off, making me grin, I looked back at Deacon and grinned again before continuing with the switches etc.

We bumped along, making me frown at Cassie's driving, but shrugged my shoulders, (I guess these things aren't known for giving you the smoothest ride in the world.) I heard Ria's concern about Cassie being scratched as I played with the switches some more. I totally agreed with them, on not being afraid of the zombies, to hunt them for a change. We finally came to a stop, as everyone made ready to get out, I had just about figured out how the radio worked, so I decided to stay behind for a few minutes. I waved them out, mumbling I would catch up with them shorty, but noted that the flame-thrower was left behind. I had just settled down with the radio again when suddenly I heard a shout,

My hand let go of the receiver as I quickly dropped to the floor moving slowly forward to where I could look out the front window. I cautiously raised my head up just enough so I could see both Cassie and Ria lowering their weapons to the ground. I couldn't see where the guys were, but hoped they were out of the line of fire. I watched and heard as the drama between the strangers and what I had come to feel as, "My People" unfolded. I looked behind me, to where the flame-thrower was sitting, before looking out the window again.

As I watched, I wanted...needed something to do, but certainly didn't want to make things worse. I decided to wait, and watch, but I was ready to grab the flame-thrower in a second and come charging out to fry those assholes! Then I saw Ria faint my eyes grew round in horror as I whispered,

"OH Fuck!"

Ria fell over and said "Cassie, pull!"

I had no clue what to do next. The gun man on the other hand also seemed confused. “What is wrong with her?” He asked.

“Weak knees” I said “I think she fainted … can I go to her??” I asked.

“Make it quick” He said

I walked over on my knees to Ria … placed my hands on her sides and asked “Ria … are you ok?” My hand facing away from the door, felt the sling shot and I grabbed it. Pulled it out.

Ria did not respond … as I shook her again.

“Leave her there for now. The boss will be here in a moment” The guy at the door said.

"Boss?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. They had a leader.

"Yeah, well, we're not going to talk about that," An older voice said from behind the door.

The guy on the roof yelled “OK YOU TWO BEHIND THE HUMVEE… HERE IS THE DEAL … WE WANT 100 LBS OF CANNED FOOD FOR EACH HOSTAGE. BRING THE FOOD HERE … PLACE IT IN THE PARKING LOT… WE’LL FREE ONE WOMEN ... CHECK THE FOOD … AND FREE THE SECOND IF THERE ARE NO TRICKS”

There was no answer from the two guys

The guy on the roof yelled some more “WE HAVE GOT ALL THE CARDS. I CAN KILL YOU TWO NOW AND TAKE YOUR HOT LITTLE GIRLFRIENDS. WE HAVE BIGGER WEAPONS THAN GUNS … THAT HUMVEE WILL OFFER YOU NO PROTECTION … I'VE BEEN NICE SO FAR ... DON'T PUSH IT…BRING BACK THE FOOD AND WE’LL RELEASE THE WOMEN"

More gun barrels poked out of a few lower level windows. Another gun showed up at the main door. An older man with a shotgun in his hands walked out of the front door. His eyes were on me.

"Get up … hands in the air," he said. He grinned showing off his hideous missing tooth smile. "We got some more pretty women … We like whores … you can join the ones we got in back!" He said. “NOW … HANDS UP”

I did not have time to load the sling shot …and it was still in my hand. There was nothing I could do. I just slowly raised my hands.

“DROP THAT” the old guy said. I did.

“Help your friend up” He said.

I grab Ria and helped her to her feet. “Sorry” I whispered as I had not helped and now I had lost her weapon.

“Into the building.” The guy said and we went in and the door closed behind us. The door closing gave me a pretty bad feeling. I had really fucked up this time. You know, it is pretty easy to dress differently … and act all tough like … and tell people you are “Cassie, gun toting, “Rambina” zombie killing machine!” But when there is a barrel of a gun pointed right at you, only a few feet away. Well that is the true test … I needed to ignore that gun … and get my attitude back!! I decided right there Deacon was right. Time to start fucking these guys over! There were sandbags around the entrance and as we walked around the corner I notice more sandbags around the window.

“You folks like your sandbags around here, the entrance and the windows. That is a nice touch” I said loud enough for the phone to pick it up. “Are you expecting to be attacked?” I ask

There two men escorting us, the younger man … who kept looking at our boobs answered. “We got firing positions all over this building and LOTS of ammo. It would take an army to get us out” He bragged.

Ria smiled at me and looked at the young man “So how many prisoners do you have?”

“Just two … female military types” He said.

The older guy said “Shut the fuck up …Billy” Then we walked into an interior room. There was a really old guy sitting behind a large desk. He had a 45 revolver in his hand and a double barrel shotgun stood behind the desk. He wore a baseball cap with a confederate flag on it. His t-shirt said “I HATE EVERYONE” in big bold letters. This must have been the old armory commander’s office. It had wood panels on the wall and carpeted floor.

“Search those cunts” the old guy behind the desk ordered.

The young guy, billy, was going to do the searching while the older guy with the missing tooth pointed the gun at us.

Ria said “That is not necessary … we are not carrying anything”

The old guy behind the desk sat up a bit straighter “Boys …we got ourselves a NAZI BITCH”

I spoke up to defend Ria “She is Dutch … STUPID … not German” the old guy with the gun … hit me with it “SHUT THE FUCK UP CUNT” he ordered … as I rubbed my right cheek where he hit me.

The young guy decided to start the body search with me. When he got to my breasts his eyes were as wide as saucers. I did not mind it too much … as I had been a stripper … but I hated the sick smile on both of the older men’s faces. The perverted looks on their faces was sickening. He felt down my pants and my crotch and then back to my tits again. The older guys cackling at this.

Then he moved over to Ria. I decided to I needed to do something. I did not want that phone found. I was also getting pretty tired of these assholes. I knew saying something now was the wrong thing to do … especially when the assholes had guns pointed at us, but as I told you I had a new attitude!!

“You know, ASSHOLES like you make me sick …” I told them showing no fear at all “When humanity gets into a tight spot … we need to band together, help each other out … not sink to new levels of barbarism. All of you are really A BUNCH OF FUCKED UP PIECES OF SHIT!!” Ria hands left her head went to my shoulders “not the right time for this …” she whispered.

The old man cocked his gun and pointed it right at me. “That little speech is gone cost you, BITCH” he said. “You going to need to BLOW ME … because of that” He said. As everyone was watching me and what I would say next, I noticed Ria’s hands were now in her coverall pockets.

“You probably can’t even get it up” I said.

“You dirty little piece of fuckmeat!" He said as he SLAMMED the butt of the gun into my chest … I fell back against Ria. I felt the cell phone slip into my cargo pants pocket.

The old guy at the desk shouted “ENOUGH … finish searching them FOOLS” The oldest guy seemed unstable and pissed.

The young guy finished searching Ria, again he seemed to like breasts as he spent extra time on hers too. “Nothing Boss” He reported.

“Ok put ‘em in the “gangbang” room and get ‘em ready … to entertain some of the young bucks … at least until the vittles arrives. Only the night shift … GOT IT” The old guy ordered.

“Yes boss!” the other two answered … and hauled Ria and I off.

As I wasn't behind a Humvee so they didn't know where the hell I was, reaching down to the pavement picking up a few forgotten bolts. Keeping low I threw them one at a time to land beside Deacon, hopefully getting his attention to my hidden vantage point. When he'd look I'd hold up 7 fingers for the number of men I see, hold my index finger and thumb to my ear like a phone. Mimicking eating and move my hands in the shape of a box, holding my hand up in a fist I open it like an explosion. He was a smart man if anyone could know what I meant, it would definitely be my ol' buddy Deacon I was sure of it.

Staying put and hoping Derry figured out the radio, it was all I could do after flashing signs. Suddenly all I could think of was Norah, I hadn't hugged her goodbye before I left. Would there ever be a chance to again? Or would I take a bullet in the head like the many zombies had. She needed a better man than I had become, maybe it would be best for everyone if I took a bullet. Go out guns blazing and the pain it would end, or endure the pain for the benefit of everyone and still help. Tapping the barrel of my 1911 against my temple, quietly muttering to myself get out of there damn you get out.

Right when I'm at the end of my rope with my fingers slipping, my dead wife Kaitlyn comes to mind, her light holds me up. Her Grandfather had lost the will to live after his wife died, she visited him everyday no matter what. Just visiting listening and reminiscing about her Grandmother, eventually Kaitlyn got him to see he's still needed. The old man lived another fifteen years before dying peacefully in his sleep, I'm am lifted again from the dark place I went to.

Rising up still well out of site of any of these wack jobs, when the time came I'd put them down like rabid dogs. Mr. Asthuli would have quoted from the Koran justifying this, seems I have a Muslim and a Christian Guardian Angel. Keeping my many inner demons at bay I reckon, obviously it was a minute to minute battle. Who would I hurt along the way I didn't know, did I care? Well that would depend on my mood.

Last edited:
Ria

Inside ...

Well, that had gone wrong! Not as I intended it to go at all.

I decided to keep acting as if I had truly fainted and leaned heavily on Cassie as she helped me inside. My catapult was gone too, but I still had a handful of stones in the pouch at my side and the empty sheaths. The stones might be useful still. I could throw them around, or aim for a head. Although I knew I wouldn't hit anyone as forceful if I threw a stone as I would hit them with a shot from my catapult, it still would startle them for a moment.

At least I had managed to put my phone in Cassie's pocket when she fell against me. It was only natural that I tried to catch her. The search, well Billy really seemed to like it and it seemed also he never had watched a police film. Who had ever heard of weapons concealed on breasts? Between them, that could be a possibility but on them? I nearly laughed out loud as he fondled my breasts. Maybe he thought my grimaces showed my disgust at his patting because he grinned triumphantly when he squeezed them a last time. And then Bart got some more information, and we also.

It wasn't necessary to act frail after I heard "Ok put ‘em in the “gangbang” room and get ‘em ready" since I felt weak for real at that moment.

I had to take a few deep breaths before I could think again. We entered a long corridor before I was able to concentrate myself. We would lose the phone soon.

"So the nightshift got some?" I asked the guy who was prodding me with his gun because I wasn't walking as quickly as he wanted. "And you five got nothing yet?"

"Move, Nazibitch!" he commanded.

I stopped moving altogether and turned around.

"I am Dutch. And I wasn't around at that time even, just like you, old man!" His face contorted with rage when I turned and he lifted his gun and turned it around. He got even more angry when I dodged the blow. The next one landed on my butt since I had turned again and made me stumble. At least some information got through. Since the other one had stopped prodding Cassie and watched us I leaned against the wall. He hit me again and I moved with the blow and dropped onto my hands and knees.

"I just fainted! Please, let me recover? Do I have to walk the whole corridor? Isn't that awful inconvenient for those who want sex? Can't I lean on Cassie? Please?" I managed a few sobs and let my head hang down.

Cassie was already at my side, and caught a blow for that. She wrapped her arm around me, yelling at the guys I was ill and needed help.

Getting me to my feet was a long procedure and we only managed it when the younger guy told the older one he would drag me to the room by my feet.

Very slowly we stumbled along, they poked us with the guns but not as hard as before.

"Now," I hissed at Cassie as the older one passed us and unlocked a door. I threw myself at him. I landed a blow on his temple and he stumbled enough for me to grab his gun out off his left hand. It had been awful long since I had held a gun for the last time but I managed to land an other blow on his temple which send him into the room. Cassie and the younger guy were fighting, she had gotten hold of his gun and pulled at it while she kicked him. He seemed still too dazzled to do much more than yell at her while he tugged at his gun.

From the other end of the corridor a voice called out.

"Hey, Billy, Fred, you two need help with those bitches?"

Right then I knocked Billy out with the gun, a bit harder than necessary maybe but he had really annoyed me before.

"Get in!" I hissed at Cassie, pulling at Billy's foot. I dragged him along, and Cassie grabbed his other foot looking bewildered at me.

"Why?" she asked.

"They'll think they'll have some fun with us if they don't show up soon," I panted. Cassie jumped back into the corridor and got the key. She dashed back in and locked the door from the inside.

The Hunter and the drunk

[/LIST]

1. "Get up! Now! Get that lanky, sorry ass out of that bed." With each sentence the Hunter kicked the bed hard. Bart stirred. A lot had happened since the Hunter had walked through the door two nights ago. For Bart it had mostly been sleep, sleep and vomiting. For the Hunter it was watching this sorry ass to make sure he didn't do any more drinking, or worse and keeping tabs on Ria and the Knight group

When he'd come through the door he'd disturbed Bart. Barts years of training had kicked in. He dropped from the chair to his knees and into his firing position. The malt had taken its toll though. He had never become stable on his knees. In fact he just kept on moving until he cracked his head on the fireplace; a drunk falling from a chair. The Baretta discharging into the wall in front of the Hunter as it slipped from Barts hand, but the malt safely held aloft. The Hunter had never seen anything quite so sorry ever in his life.

Hunter had stayed with Bart that night and through the day, turning him when he'd vomited, making sure he didn't choke. He had found the phone and the picture. He had answered Rias texts and let what was left of the man sleep it off. He had wanted to get to the armory. His patience, short at the best of times, had run out for Bart.

Hunter let go a volley at Bart. "They've gone to the armory. The Knights, your girlfriend and Cassie. You can bet your ass they are not the first after the after the night we had here. My guess is they will walk into a shit load of trouble with their eyes closed." "Now get the fuck out of that bed before I shoot you myself and save you the bother!"

Bart had started to move mumbling under his breath, but too slowly for the Hunter. Hunter pulled him out of the bed dropping him on the floor. After a cold stare, the Hunter left the room. Bart did as he was told.

Bart drove. The truck cold, windows open. The silence was colder. Barts phone rang. His hand had moved to his pocket to answer but couldn't find it. The Hunter took it from his jacket. Bart had shot him a poison look as he hit the green answer key.

They both heard the shouting, Ria talking, the threats. Even before the conversation ended Bart had turned the truck towards the Knight and floored the accelerator. His temper red hot he spat at the Hunter " I know what you're thinking. You're wrong. Ria made her choice, but Cassie, she's an innocent. She needs my help."

As usual he cut the engine and coasted to the doors of the Knight . The doors were closed. He signaled to the roof hoping for a lookout to spot him and waited. After an eternity the doors opened a crack. They both burst from the truck ran for the opening doors.

After a short commotion Peter was called. He was initially quite reluctant to give up vital food. Bart used all of his six foot seven persuasive skills to assure him that if he didn't help immediately he would never need to worry about food again. To the credit of the remaining Knights they pulled out all of the stops to load the truck to the gunnels with food, weapons and explosives while beating off any zombie that was a little too interested.

As soon as they were loaded the Hunter and Bart were gone. A different silence filled the truck until they were a mile from the armory. Bart looked at the Hunter. "In about half a mile I am going to pull over, they dont need to know im here. Take the other walkie-talkies and the food to the guys at the armory . I will scout round and find a firing position . Keep my phone in case you get a message from Ria, but give me yours in case we have any issues with comms. Let me know the plan , and I'll pass on any intel I can."

The Hunter nodded. Bart pulled over took his rifle and left. The hunter slid over and drove on. Fifty yards from the APC he pulled over and cautiously approached the man crouched behind it hands in plain sight.

Last edited:
I watched as Cassie and Ria were hauled inside, the door slamming shut, I closed my eyes, telling myself, (Calm down, calm down.....the radio..that's it get the radio working!) I dropped down to the floor again making my way back to the radio area. I found the mic on the floor, reaching up I switched it on, and punched in Deacon's phone numbers. I waited franticly for him to answer, then whispered,

"Deacon, I heard everything, they want food....but Cassie and Ria...they are going to kill them...we have to do something now. I have the flamethrower....just tell me what you want me to do!"

I waited now...trying to take deep breathes.

Ria

Inside ...

"I think we have five to ten minutes before they show up. Phone!" I panted pointing with my hand at Cassie's pocket.

Without looking at me she handed me my phone.

"Bart! We are okay. Cassie and I took two hostages and two guns and are in a locked room at the back with them and the two other hostages of the scum. Do get the supplies and contact Deacon and Cramer."

"I understand. Keep the phone open," a strange voice said.

"Hey! Who are you? Where is Bart?"

"The Hunter, Bart is busy. Give me the numbers of those two."

I broke the connection, wrote a message with the numbers of Deacon, Cramer and Derry and called Deacon. Quickly I told him we had two hostages and two guns but were still hostages ourselves and that Bart or the Hunter would contact him. Then I pressed Bart's number and asked the Hunter where they where.

"On the way. Now keep open and talk as loud as before. When I know more and if it is safe I'll shout."

Now I looked around me. I was still at the door, as where Billy and Fred. Fred moaned a bit so I tapped the but of my gun against his temple again. Deeper in the brightly lit room two naked figures were slumped against a wall, the lower half of their bodies on thin mattresses. Cassie kneeled in front of one of them and cussed. With a soothing timbre in her voice.

"Knife!" she called out to me. "I need a knife, she is suffocating!" I saw she was frenetically pulling at something around the head of the young woman.

I had no knife. Desperate I looked around me, patted my pockets, until it came to my mind one of the men might have one. Quickly I patted their pockets and found a swiss army knife in the second pocket I searched.

"Cassie, here!" She looked, I threw it to her and continued to search the two in front of me. I found wallets, another swiss army knife which I put in my pocket, some ammunition, a packet of tissues, three condoms on the younger one, a packet of chewing gum on the older one and tin with snuff, some change, and then in the back pocket of the older one, a hip flask which sloshed as I shook it, and a handful of plastic straps. Thinking and acting was one and I strapped their hands on their backs and their feet together. I dragged the younger one around before I strapped their feet and also strapped the left ankle of Billy to the right of Fred. I heaved a bit at them until they were sitting against the door.

Then I turned to Cassie and the two women. They were a very sorry mess. Bruises all over, some scratches and small cuts, one had blood clothing her nose which Cassie was cleaning away carefully. The other one had still a gag in her mouth and a blindfold. Her hands and feet were strapped together with the same plastic straps I had used on Billy and Fred. But much tighter than I had done. The straps had cut her skin. So deep the skin was swollen around them. Blood stained her wrists and ankles and some places on her body. She was sitting in a stinking puddle. It was not only urine. Some was vomit.

Softly I told her I would take her blindfold away. I kept talking as she pressed her eyes to small slits.

"Now the gag, don't scream or yell, please." I cut the rope which had torn the corners of her mouth a bit at the back of her head and carefully leaned her head against the wall again while I pulled the rope away with one hand.

"Or do you want to lie down?" She nodded, and I helped her down. She tried to push fabric out of her mouth and I with two fingers I pulled. Panties. They had stuffed her mouth with a pair of panties.

"It is going to be alright. We have friends outside. But inconveniently Cassie and I are hostages too. But it is going to be alright. Just a moment, please."

I took my phone.

"Hunter?"

"Yeah?"

"We need the doc for the other two hostages. Here, or later at the Knight. That is all for now." As I pulled the phone away from ear I caught his voice and put it back.

"Ho! Why?"

"They beat them up before or after they raped them."

I learned some new cusses.

Noises in the corridor. I put my fingers against my lips and nodded at Cassie.

Silently I went over to the door and pressed my ear against it. Men. Joking and bragging about how, how often and how long they would fuck the two new bitches.

One knocked at the door. When nobody answered, he knocked a second time and rattled the handle.

"Hey! Fred! Billy! What are you doing? Open the door!"

"Our turn you motherfuckers, you had the other two!" An other voice called.

"I'll tell the boss!" A somewhat whiney third voice added.

"Do that. Do call the boss." I said pleasantly. "Billy and Fred are bound against the door and we are beside it. With their guns. So if some of you are so stupid to shoot your way inside, you'll kill Billy and Fred. Cassie and I would kill a lot of you before you get a change to kill us. If you kill us, you are without hostages and my men won't hand you any food because they would be busy killing the last of you sorry lot, because they won't miss all the shooting that will be going on here and assume you killed Cassie and me. So, go tell the boss your hostages have hostages and the situation is still the same just a bit in Cassie's and my favor."

I just watched as the two women got dragged into the building, then a demand for food came from the captors. I breathed a sigh and placed the AR-15 down next to me, picking up one of the three napalm bottles I prepared to toss it up on to the roof where the two gun men hid. A soft clatter drew my attention away to look at Cramer, his signing was clear, boobytrap the food crates. I nodded my understanding and placed the molonapalm cocktail down and picked up the rifle, my phone rang and I answered, it was Ria, she explained the situation and hung up, a few seconds later the phone rang again, this time it was Derry.

I explained to her that we were awaiting food and that it would get rigged to explode and then give us time to attack the building and free our under siege friends. A soft sound made me turn with the rifle ready to blow away any threat. Only it didn't seem to be a threat, he would bot be approaching the Bradley nor me openly or without a weapon in his hands. I allowed him to approach and lowered the gun only slightly,

"I'm Deacon, who are you and what are you doing here?"

After getting told whom the person was and what he had brought with him, I actually grinned,

"You got here fast, I will need some help, lead the way."

Coming to the truck I spotted the ordanance and shook my head, I had no idea how they got to my projects, but this stuff was dangerous, though useful.

"OK we need to get two crates to stash enough food in to make them believe it's all food."

A brief hunt provided us with three packing crates, first I filled the bottom with the explosives and used the walkie-talkies he had with him as detonators, then we filled the rest of the space with food. The crates now weighed roughly 100 pounds, another search got us a trolley jack who could handle both crates, I guess they used it to mount TOWs as the last time I saw one of these it had missiles on it. After loading up the two crates I nodded to Hunter,

"Allright, you keep that walkie talkie close to you, stay behind the APC. I'll take the crates out to them, if anything goes wrong you call those walkies inside the crates, take as much of them out as you can."

I gave him a lopsided grin,

"Otherwise we wait until they take it inside and then blow it up"

Back