"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

Ria
Defend and attack ...

"Fucking big and soft", Lee commented while he squeezed my breasts softly. "Very nice for an ..."

At the same time I heard something in the distance, Cramer screaming Lex' name and shook my head.

"Don't say it! Just don't!" I hissed after I pounded the handle of my machete against his chest twice. He closed his mouth, but didn't take his hands from my breasts. The scalpel was still in his right hand too, pointing away from me. "I am not an old lady, and my breasts are perfect!"

"Yep, very squeezy and I bet they taste good too. What is this?" His thumps had found my nipples and circled over them.

"Something you shouldn't play with," Thomas chuckled once. "Not now I mean. We have to get going, don't you hear Cramer stopped shooting? At least I think it was him shooting," he added worried.

As if a veil had been lifted from around us suddenly I heard all the noises again. People screaming for help, in pain, or desperate, Deacon calling out to Cramer, children crying, Nana's barks, grunting zombies, shuffling and most disturbing: I heard something that could only be chomping very nearby.

"Right," Lee took his hands from my breasts after what I thought of as a goodbye squeeze and he turned around. Then he turned back to me and handed me his scalpel.

"You better take this," he whispered while he took his t-shirt off. I handed him my machete and his scalpel and pulled his warm, wet t-shirt over. I was still tugging at the seam when he handed me my machete.

The three men started moving towards the chomping and I watched them for a second before I hurried after them. Only Thomas was wearing a t-shirt and a pair of jogging pants, Lee wore a pair of loose boxers clinging to his body because they were wet and Daniel tight ones.

It seemed we had more light now, or my eyes had adjusted. The floor glistened, it was very slippery and I was thankful the Knight had an old-fashioned water-sprinkling system, and not a modern one a lot of museums and libraries used; one which uses a chemical that removes the oxygen from the air but doesn't damage the goods on display. We would have choked to death ...

Slowly we moved onward and found three zombies tearing pieces of meat from a faintly moving body in front of them. Lee launched himself at the middle one, Thomas took the right and Daniel the left while I hurried over to the badly wounded person in front of them. I flung myself down beside him and started to pull my t-shirt off, my eyes fixed on the blood gushing out off several big wounds, but Lee's hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"Too late. We can't help her anymore. Or ... only in this way." He leaned over the bleeding and softly moaning body and drove his scalpel into a big wound in the chest. He drove it in deep, and the twitching stopped immediately. Blood that had been pulsing out off wounds started to just run out off them.

"She must have had a fucking strong heart," he said softly. The enormous wound in the chest had been breasts, I recognized now. For the most part they were eaten. The belly was ripped open. The legs were still clad in jeans, around the upper body hung only shreds of fabric. The face ... I thought I recognized Thersa ...

Thudding footsteps and grunting noises broke the trance-like state I had been in while looking over the body. I rose from my knees to see five or six zombies running towards us.

Daniel run forward, slipped over something that rattled away and stumbled a few steps until he found his equilibrium again.

"A knife!" he screamed while stumbling away from us. Lee dived at it and when he came up he had a big kitchen knife in his hand. What he did then, I couldn't see since I was slashing at a zombie. It seemed very strong although it had been just a teenage girl once, it was very quick and almost bit me before I cut enough holes in it to stop it.

A zombie with some green yucky blood oozing out off of wounds Thomas had made but which was still trying to kill him, I cut the throat, and a next one we attacked together. Soon the four of us were standing in the middle of seven dead horrors.

Bending over, the hand with the machete in it against a wall, I moaned hard as I saw the bleeding scratches on my leg. I wiped the blood away with my other hand.

"Don't!" Lee hissed while he ran back to the corpse of one of the Knights and dipped his hand in what had been the stomach. He turned his hand around in it in the same way I had done in the bathtub when one of the twins had dropped the soap while 'washing' themselves when they were toddlers. His face a grim mask Lee came back, smeared the blood and yuck on his hand over my legs and my left arm.

He then turned to Daniel and Thomas, wiped the back of his hand on Daniel's back and on Thomas legs.

I scooped some of the blood and yuck running over my left leg up and stumbled over to Lee.

"You better take some yourself too," I whispered, rubbing my hand over his chest where a few long scratches were visible.

"Right," Daniel coughed softly and took a deep breath, steading himself against a wall like I had done too. "Lets go."

In a low crouch I moved silently but rather quickly, squeezing off head and chest shots fast searching for Norah. Fifteen deader with my AR-15 four or five with my bat, unfortunately we'd lost several and Mr. Ashtuli was so chewed up. Dragging me down by the collar he begged me ''By Alla end my life friend Cramer!'' with tears pouring down my cheeks I mercifully shot him. A tiny smile was on his face as I closed his dark eyes, not knowing him very well but it broke my heart to do it.

Finding three zombies were battering themselves against a door, I was so angry after what these things did to Saheem. I didn't plan on using my riffle this time arounnd, with bloody revenge in my heart I let out a primal scream. The zombies turn around just in time to see me, they didn't long as I rain hell down on their arms, heads and bodies. Again and again the bat struck shattering bone, covering me in green slimy gore from head to toe.

''Norah you in there?!'' Norah whispers out in the dim light, of class room 201 "I'm here Cramer are they gone?'' My heart leapt into my throat upon hearing her whisper, my voice breaking as I reply hoarsely choking back tears. ''Yeah sweetheart we're all making sure they're gone.'' Hearing her pull a chair from underneath the knob, unlocking the door she opens it to let me in, stepping inside quickly I turn to lock it again.

Norah grabs me despite my being covered in gore, squeezing so tight that I can barely even get a breath in edgewise. ''Can't breath darlin girl.'' She loosens her grip around my ribs without letting go of me, I feel her shaking like a leaf as silent sobs wrack her body in my arms. ''Shhhh...It's alright now.'' Someone had flipped the breaker as the lights came back on, I hoped it had been Max being he didn't answer me after warning us all.

Last edited:
As the lights came back on I realized that it was not Cramer at my back, it was one of the roof guards, I didn't really know his name and what I had mistaken for the AR-15 was actually a weighted baseball bat. Green blood covered the floor, the walls, the zombies and the defenders. A group of zombies was crowded at a window, aiming to get in, it must've been them that I bowled over when I slammed into the open door.

"Well fuck this."

I wasn't prone to swearing, in fact I didn't like swearing, but this was just one thing too many. Pulling the jar with napalm from my pocket, I uscrewed it and threw it at the window, as expected the window exploded outwards, but as the container was of lesser density than the sturdy window, it shattered and covered the zombies outside with napalm. Luckily I came prepared, from my jean pocket I drew a Zippo, it was old and battered, but with a flick it flamed up and I tossed it cassually at the group. The volatile mix only needed a spark, and the flames lept up immediately, turning from the burning zombies I turned my attention to the larger group who was busy devouring some of the people, most of the screams eminated from there and I feared that Derry may be among those who had turned to a buffet.

"DERRY!"

There was no reply from anywhere, of course it didn't mean that she was dead, the Knight was huge, but at that moment I found that I didn't just like the lithe, red-headed girl, I cared deeply for her and for the first time in my life I lost control of my emotions and my mind. The famous red mist that signalled berserker rage? I can tell you that it's real, as at that moment that was all I saw. A red mist, my enemies only dim shapes.

Later I heard that I shouted some sort of war cry, that I charged man-alone into the midst of around twenty zombies in a feeding frenzy. All I knew was that I regained my senses when I slumped down next to the stairs, my body and mind spent, I found that I had a mixture of green and red blood all over me, I wasn't sure if any of the blood was mine. In the wake of my battle crazed charge there lay a whole string of dead bodies, I didn't have the strength to count, but to my relief I did not see Derry and then...the darkness of unconciousness grabbed hold of me and tossed me into it's embrace.

Ria

We looked at each other, all wanting it to be over, but knowing people we liked or at least lived with were in danger still, we took a deep breath and moved forward again. I froze as I heard Deacon cry out Derry's name; my heart skipped a beat before I could move again. Quick but cautious we moved along, checking the lady's restroom and the small hall in front of it. No zombies around, but lots of blood ... No corpse, not in the stalls, not in the elevator, only lots of blood everywhere.

Coming up to the end of the passage between the two off-limits we heard a wild yell and then grunting from zombies, the sick whack with which a heavy club landed on meat followed by the sound of breaking bones, more cries, curses and more whacking.

"Charge!" screamed Lee and we ran to the noise as fast as we could to see Deacon in the midst of about twenty horrors dealing out blows and kicks, moving around like a berserker. Without thinking (a moment long I asked myself if I was feeling the effects of the Napoleon-virus though) we charged and used our machetes and knives whenever it was possible.

We had to be careful to keep out of Deacon's way, he didn't seem to realize we weren't zombies. He hacked, whacked and kicked until the last zombie was down. Which he did all alone, since we had headed Vince's warning.

"Stand back!" he had yelled at us as he ran towards us. "Let him take the last one out. Juts be prepared to help. I am at the broken window with TD!"

That was the first time I heard we had a broken window and I wondered if the zombies had entered through it.

As soon as the last zombie was down, Deacon looked at the corpses around him for a moment and slumped down beside the circular stairs. His head sacked back on his neck in an awkward angle almost as if the muscles had gone completely.

Lee walked over to him, put him down on the floor on his side.

"He'll fucking survive. A few scratches, some in his fucked-up face, but that won't make him uglier than he was. Seems this were the last fucking zombies inside", he sighed after a short pause.

"We have be sure!" I said, suddenly tired. "Vince!"

"Yeah?"

"You see any zombies inside?"

"Not around here."

I looked at Thomas and Daniel. Around me, and up the stairs. My heart skipped a beat again, but now from joy. A figure was peering down at us, and some schemes were standing behind her. Nana had stopped barking, and I took that as a good sign.

"Cassandra! You alright up there? Who is up there? Have some check the second floor, will you, please? And send some down here to help us?

Vince, you and TD stay where you are. Scream if you need help. We'll see who is around and start to clean the place. I think it would be best if we drag the zombies here to the window and throw them on the fire. The others ... We will see. Drag them over here, or simply to the closest door to throw them out tomorrow."

When Cassie joined us at the table I had to admit, I was a little disappointed but realized I would have lots more dinners with Deacon ...as least I hoped I would. I sat back sipping on my water as I listened to Deacon talk about the flamethrowers, never realizing how dangerous they could be. I looked over at Cassie shaking a finger at her. When Deacon was done lecturing Cassie he then turned to me,

"You do of course know that burning isn't always the best way to kill a virus? You could cause it to become airborne...burning all those bodies this close to the Knight may also be what caused those men to get all messed up."

I nodded my head indicating that I would let the ones in charger know this, I hated to admit it but it had escaped me....that airborn viruses could very well have cause the outbreak in Peter and the others.

Then Decon took his leave of Cassie and I saying he had a lot of work he wanted to do tonight. I watched as he meandered around the tables, I casually glanced at Cassie raising my eyebrow as I said with a grin,

"He is a very interesting man don't you think? And I don't mind telling you more then a little sexy too."

We both watched his cute butt as he finally exited the room. I tried hiding a yawn as I added,

"I would love to visit with you now, but I am dead tired after that run we did this afternoon. Could I get a raincheck so we can get all caught up on our news?"

Cassie of course was all understanding, I got up taking what was left of my water, bent down to kiss her on the cheek and headed for my room. As I passed by people I smiled or nodded but didn't pause to chat, I could only see that makeshift bed of mine and how inviting it was right now.

Once I had opened the door, I sighed as I shut it behind me, lifting my shirt over my head as I walked over to my bedroll. Folding it up I placed it to the side and next slid my pants off, before ending with my boots and socks. I undid the clip in my hair and shook my head as I climbed into bed in just my panties. (I usually slept in just my panties).... in moments I was fast asleep.

It felt like only seconds when I woke up to some distant yelling, I held my breath to see if I could hear it again ...then I heard an explosion. I whispered,

" OMG!...Cassie!"

I jumped out of bed and ran for the door, forgetting I was half naked. I pulled the door open and to my horror a Zombee, who had been moving by, turned its ugly face my way. In my shock...I waited too long...it was able to get halfway in by the time I tried to slam the door shut. It must have been a big man in life, because there was no way I could push it back out with the door.

I screamed as I kept trying to hold it back, finally I let go and backed up looking for some kind of weapon. I tried not to panic, but I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had put my machete when I came into my room and it didn't help to have just a small amount of light coming in from the window, ( it was a cloudy night).

I saw the chair quickly grabbed it and held it in front of me as I backed away, I started to scream for help. Then I felt my heels touch the edge of my bed and I fell backwards onto it with only the chair between me and the rotting thing.... above me.

Pulling of my filthy black leather gloves I toss them on the chair that had blocked the door. Slowly rubbing Norah's back with my hands comfortingly, her sobbing slows till she is finally calm enough loosen her grip. "We have to go help the others Norah...you think you can go with me now?'' I feel a nod of her pretty little head against my shoulder, she steps back drying her eyes with to handfuls of tissues. ''I can now Cramer.''

Norah blew her nose she takes a deep shaky breath, exhaling slowly Norah gathered her self together. As I reach to unlock the door she takes my left hand, giving her hand a very gentle reassuring squeeze. Unlocking the door opening it slowly checking for zombies, none are around but to be safe hand her my bat. She grips the bat like she knows how to swing one, must have played softball as she drew it back.

''It's not going to be pretty out here so be prepared darlin.'' She nods with a grim determination as we walk along, finally reaching the others going about dragging zombies out the door. ''I shot Lex in his left shoulder...the evil little bastard let the damned things in!'' Shock registers on each person close enough to hear me, there were a lot of gasps swears and shaking of heads. ''I recognized his very loud shrill scream.'' Removing the banana clips taped front to back from my AR-15, to find ones empty flipping it around snapping back into the rifle. ''It's almost to insane to believe that kid could be so fucked up.''

Norah's brother sees his sisters with me as he hugs her tight ''Are you OK Norah?'' she hugs him back ''Yeah I'm OK...as much as can be expected I guess.'' I pat her and her brother on the softly shoulder, I was glad she had a over protective older brother. Breathing a heavy sigh and quietly tell Ria about Mr. Ashtuli, what he'd asked me to do for him it sounded like another voice was speaking for me.

Ria

John and Skip had made it down, with John leaning heavily on Skips shoulder, the make-do bandage soaked with blood. Skip's upper body was bloody too, but when I saw him wipe it away there was no wound. It was John's blood.

John was able to hug Norah but his his face was un ugly shade of gray instead of its normal deep brown. Soon after he had hugged Norah and Cramer patted him on the shoulder, he slumped down against a wall.

Cramer told us he had shot Lex in the shoulder. I could only shake my head. Then he told us what he had done for Mr. Asthuli. I nodded. And told what Lee had done for Tersha.

"Fucking right," Lee said with a grim face. "Best thing to do if you can't help them in any fucking other way. Now, all who can walk, get rid of those motherfuckers. The others come with me to the sickbay. I'll see what I can do for you. And anyone who got scratched by zombies, rub some fucking dirt in your wounds!"

Lee walked over to the stairs and pulled Deacon's eyelids up. He nodded satisfied and waled away. Carol came out off her room, pushing the girls back in before she closed the door. She ran to her dad and hugged him. She sobbed once, then she kissed him on his cheek and turned away.

"I'll get some mops and buckets," she murmured and headed towards Max' door to the basement. "Someone better get some poles and lines up on the roof," she called, "all the bedding is fucking wet!"

Martin put his shoulder under John's arm and heaved him up. Someone else passed with a cart with three zombies on top of it and pushed it to the window, where TD and Vince helped him to throw them out.

"Someone should get a board together to nail on the window as soon as we are done with the zombies", I said wretched, "we don't want more visitors!"

Last edited:
Cassandra and Amy

As I picked myself off the floor … from the explosion … I knew Ria was going to kick my ass. There was water sprinkling all over the place … the carpet was getting wet ... and the books … it was bad.

My only defense was … I had stopped the zombies from reaching the second level. At least that is what I thought. There was a lot of screaming, yelling and shooting on the first floor. The good thing is I heard Doc Lee’s voice … or should I say his swearing … so I knew he was ok. Anyhow, others were now manning the stairs and so I went to the railing. Ria saw me and yelled up at me.

"Cassandra! You alright up there? Who is up there? Have some check the second floor, will you, please? And send some down here to help us?

“We’ll go …” the guys at the stair case said … it was Robert the teacher and Dan from the party van. Amy the teenage also showed up. I grabbed her arm … “No you help me” I said

“Ria I’m ok … I’ll check the second floor …” I yelled back … and then told Amy “Get my … shit … we don’t have any weapons! Look around … find anything" I instructed as I searched too. Then I saw something … the curtain wires for the blinds. It was heavy duty plastic pull string. I yanked it out … and wrapped it around both my hands … Amy had grabbed an umbrella with a very sharp point top.

“Let’s go …" I said as we quickly search the 2nd floor. We did not find any zombies … until I heard Derry scream. We ran to her room and I saw the Zombie attacking her and she was holding it off with a chair. Ok … I think you all know already I HATE fucking zombies … FUCKING HATE THEM!! So I slipped the wire around its neck and YANKED as hard as I could as I screamed “DIE FUCKER!!” The thin wire sliced through its neck … but I was not sure it was dead. So I had Amy help me pull until its head popped off. Then I started to kick its body …

“It’s dead” Amy told me and grabbed me

“Yes … but I needed to kick it some” I said realizing I had gone a bit too far.

“Derry … are you ok?” I ask. She nodded “We have to check the rest of the floor. We’ll be back in a moment” I said and Amy and I went off … searching the rest of the floor.

As we got the last area a zombie came out and ran at Amy … it was missing both its arms … I think they had gotten blown off in the explosion. Anyhow Amy raised up the umbrella to defend herself. I ran to her and grab the handle as well.

“YOU NEED TO GET AGGRESSIVE … RUN TOWARDS IT” I yelled and Amy and ran full speed at the zombie shuffling towards us … the weight of Amy and I … and our speed made the umbrella stab right through the zombie’s chest as we pinned it to the wall.

Amy screamed “DIE FUCKER” as we stabbed it.

We both back away from the Zombie … which had stopped moving.

Amy and I looked at each other … Then I put my hand up and she “high fived” me. “I think you are picking up some bad habits from me … die fucker … that is my line” I told her …

Amy giggled “At least I did not kick it after it was dead!”

“Smart ass … teenagers!” I grumbled and walked back to the railing “Second floor secure … no more Zombies” I yelled down to Ria. Above us I heard “3rd floor and roof secure”

“I need to check on Derry” I said and walked over to see her.

I reached and take hold of Johns legs carefully under his knees, helping Martin carry the young man to the sick bay. I give Martin a look of doubt for John holding out much longer, he nod with a grim look in his eye. Gently as possible maneuver the kid through the sick bay doors, squatting down we lean John against the wall. Very lightly ruffling his hair before patting his cheek, he barely manages a very weak smile up at me. ''Norah's right here for you buddy hold on OK?'' Norah knelt down beside her brother taking his hands in hers. I hated to leave her side but Doc Lee would run us both out any minute now.

Striding purposely out the door to where zombies lay, grabbing two by their jacket collars to drag them to the window. Helping TD lift one to the window sill pushing it out to join the pile outside, repeating the process with the many more to go. ''TD I don't like asking but once bitten people turn in an hour right?'' He looks up with a haunted look in his eyes ''Yeah that's what we believe never seen anyone turn yet.''

I can't keep my thoughts off Norah being with her brother John when he turns, a chill runs up my spine just thinking of it. Straitening up to lean back stretching my back till it pops, squatting down we grab a corpse tossing it outside. TD gets the wheel barrow heading back for another load, helping with three I needed a breather. Wiping my hands on the clean rag in my back pocket, walking toward the kitchen to get a bottled water. Finding Peter and Cassie doing the same thing, Cassie tosses me one that I easily catch. Opening the cap I down 1/3 of it before speaking ''Pete...will John turn after being bitten soon?''

Running his fingers through half dried hair, looking me in the eye he paused awhile. ''We haven't seen anyone turn yet...but we're taking precautions just in case Cramer.'' he gives me a sympathetic look slapping me on the shoulder. ''But Norah is right beside John at this very minute.'' He eventually says something quietly ''Don't worry she'll be fine you just keep busy.'' Nodding slowly at his response I head back to the grizzly task of disgustingly gory zombie disposal.

Last edited:
I was in a really really bad situation when I heard...more like felt the weight of that monster Zombie being lifted away from me. I watched as Cassandra pulled it away with what looked like some kind of wire around it's neck. It's wretched arms waving about in the air, then Cassie along with Amy's help popped it's head off before screaming,

“DIE FUCKER!!”

I threw the chair off of me and sat up trying to catch my breath and calm down thinking, (Now that was a close call!) When Cassie started to kick the dead thing I couldn't help but start to laugh, and laugh...and then kept on laughing. The two of them talking about it being dead...just made me laugh all the more. They finally looked at me ...Cassie asking,

“Derry … are you OK?”

I swallowed a couple of times nodding my head,

"Thanks to you two I am, thank gods you came when you did...I don't think I could have held it off much longer. But ...yes I sighed...I am fine."

They mentioned that they had to finish checking the rest of the floor but would be back after that.

When they left I stood up and wondered what to do with the body and that head. With a disgusted look on my face I looked around to see what to put on...before trying to move the thing. Frowning...I decided to just forget putting something on...I would only get gore on it, it would be easier to just take a shower later. So I bent down and grabbed it by the collar on either side of the missing head, and starting slowly inch by inch pulling it towards the open door.

As I did my work I thought, (I hope no one walks by and sees my bum first bent over this body, dragging it ....it would be really really embarrassing....then I chuckled. Why am I laughing to myself? Must be the residue from that laughing fit I had earlier.) I let go and took a second to get my breath back before bending down again, grabbing hold of the shirt and pulling some more.

Last edited:
I walked over to Derry, saw her butt hanging out and she was dragging a headless man. Ok … there are SOOO many puns here … I just could not contain myself.

“Derry … you really “crack” me up! I don’t want to be an “ass” about this … “butt” you really need to give that man some “head”. I know you find that a “drag” “butt” I think he has “lost his mind”. So stop being a pain in the “ass” and give the man a “head”

Derry stood up and glared at me “That was really “shitty” of you to say … I don’t appreciate being the “butt” of your jokes Cassie! Now I know you want to get “a head” of him … now you need to get “behind” me on this … if we work together “two heads” and better than” She looked at the headless zombie “none”

Both of us started to giggle like crazy.

I was seven again, I had worked on building a shed with my father, it was hard, tedious work, I was tired, but my father insisted that we go for a jog. I never backed down from a challenge so we went. I passed out half-way, too proud to stop and too stubborn to give in, but my body could only last so long and in the end I collapsed. When I resurfaced, my father was sitting with me, sipping water and looking out for me. His smile was sad, but pride reflected in his eyes,

"Learn from this Deke, stay fit, it speeds up your recovery time."

It was advice I had taken to heart, I kept fit, just as my father had wanted me to do all those years back. I heard shuffeling sounds and my eyes flicked open, I glanced around and then I lifted my head to look around. I was laid out on the ground, a machete gripped in my left hand, my right hand only holding a handle, the blade snapped off. I slowly sat up and then got dizzily to my feet.

Clean-up was happening at the moment, but my mind settled on the last thought I had before passing out. Derry wasn't among the dead, ignoring the obligation to help, I went up the stairs, several people backed away and I realized that I had to look like a walking nightmare, so I stripped off my shirt and used the inside to clear my face as best I could. Tossing it aside I wandered into a direction, as luck would have it, it was the right direction. I found a dead zombie and the room not far from it I found Derry tugging at another dead zombie.

"Derry?"

She straightened up to look back at me, I ignored her nakedness, I ignored the blush, I needed only one thing right then. I stepped closer and wrapped her in my arms, hugging her tightly,

"You're alive."

I held her like that for a long while, feeling the adrenaline and fear slowly ebbing away out of my system.

Ria
Cleaning ...

People were busy everywhere I looked. Some were carting zombies to the pile, some had found boards, hammer and nails and had them dropped beside the window, Stewart and some others were helping Carol to mop the floors dry. Luckily there wasn't too much carpet around.

It would be better to start with the top floor, but ... It was better to let them just work for now. Most of the yuck and our blood was here, on the ground floor, so it was good if that disappeared as quickly as possible. The books ... Maybe we should just lay them out on the roof, open, as soon as the sun would rise in the morning.

I overheard Cramer asking TD if it was true people turned zombie within an hour of being bitten, I wanted to tell him that happened in movies, -none of the half eaten or just dead corpses we had seen outside had turned zombie within the last four days- but Abe asking me what to do with our dead distracted me.

"Just a minute, Abe, let me think this over a moment. Susan we just dropped on a pile. Without any ceremony. But ..."

"That was because of the children", Abe said and I nodded.

"Yes, we didn't want them to see she had killed herself. But Tersa. And Mr. Asthuli ... They died during the attack. They fought not only for themselves, but to help us all. They deserve something more. Put their bodies on a blanket or a sheet, and cover them with one too. Somewhere a bit separate from the mayhem. On a table or on two desks pushed together maybe. There must be dry sheets in the shop beside my room, most of the stuff is still in suitcases and sacks. Tomorrow we will decide what to do."

Abe started to walk away. With a few quick steps I had caught up with him.

"Abe ..." he looked at me, his face a question mark.

"Abe, if you find more of our people, dead, or badly wounded, or with scratches like I have, lay all the dead out at the same place, will you?"

"The wounded we bring to the sickbay" he said confidently, "but those with scratches? Lee won't like it if they show up there now ... he would curse them!

"Yes. He would", a grin spread over my face a moment. Then I grew sober again. "Do you have a dry pocket? Yes? Wonderful. Put a piece of paper in it and a pen. Make a list of all who have scratches. We don't want any surprises with people turning Napoleon. Put my name on it too. Peter turned mad after almost two days, Daniel much quicker, but he got loads of antibiotics. Abe, tell those you see cleaning their wounds to rub dirt in them. If they gross out at that, you rub it on them. Anything will do, a handful of the water from the floor, the zombie-yuck on your shirt, a diaper, anything you normally never would rub over a wound. Tell the other guards what I said, and tell them to do the same, will you? Later we will compare the list you make."

"Daniel has some new scratches ..."

"Well, normally, if you survive a virus, you are immune for several years or forever, that is why they vaccinate little children. And adults too, if they travel to certain countries. So I think Daniel, Peter and Martin won't get ill again. Not in the next few days anyway."

I joined Vince and TD at the window after that. We heaved zombies out, an endless stream got dragged or carted to us. We didn't talk much. It was as grim a task to heave them out, as it was for those who brought them. One thing I had on my mind though.

"Vince, Cramer said he saw Lex peering in through a window, and shot him. In the shoulder I believe he said. Did you see him?"

"I have never seen a Lex around here, only heard a story he disappeared with a lot of food on sunday. TD? Have you seen him?"

TD shook his head.

"No. Deacon threw that nasty stuff through this window because a lot of zombies were here. I didn't see Lex here. Maybe Cramer shot him through an other window? Maybe there, where Martin and Dan are measuring boards?"

I looked behind me and saw them busy two windows away from us. I picked up my machete -I really wanted a scabbard, I didn't want to walk around without my weapons now; not even inside the Knight, although I would hand them over to someone later; suddenly I wondered if we would have enough unaffected people to defend us- and went over to them after I told Vince and TD where I was going and why.

There was a nice, star shaped hole in the windowpane. I peered out into the dark and saw (and heard!) two or three zombies having a feast.

"We thought it better to cover this before the zombies finish and realize there is more meat in here," Dan said sotto-voce. "I don't know who the poor sucker is, maybe one of us who got out through the door before Deacon slammed it shut to fight the zombies?"

"Nope. I don't think so. I think they are feasting on Lex. The motherfucker who stole a lot of our food on sunday and left a window in the basement open after he disappeared with it."

Dan just looked at me.

"Good riddance then, I would say," Martin said while he pushed me softly away. "First board ready to go on. If we find some windowpanes somewhere I'll take this section out and put a new one in. The other window would be a bit difficult, I would need some help to rebuild the framing. You hold this up? It would be quicker if Dan and I both swing a hammer."

So I found myself in a position I had been in during my youth quite often: holding up a board or something else while my uncle, or my father, or my granddad, or a two of them, repaired something. The only difference was that I was wearing much less now than I had worn then.

I reach up the rub my hand through over short hair of my head, wincing as a finger grazed a lump with a cut at it's center. Drawing my hand away to find blood on my fingertips, I wipe my fingers in a spot of gore. Reaching to the big lump I got from slamming against the wall, liberally smearing the foul goo into the cut. It would need a few stitches but Doc had his hands full, dropping my arms to my sides I felt old and tired.

I needed some air the stench was over whelming, it felt like the walls were closing in on me as well. So I headed to the stairs making my way slowly up the four flights, reaching the hatch climbing the ladder stepping onto the roof. Walking to the back side of the Knight rooftop free from the stench, breathing deeply and exhaling slowly a little stress was released. Sitting down I lean back against the low wall, it was 3' tall going all way around the rooftop. I couldn't hold back the tears that burn my eyes and wept.

Feeling so alone I physically ached inside, I was glad everyone was downstairs so nobody saw me crying. Day after day of holding my pain deep inside, the dam broke as the flood of raw emotions rush forth. Hard shaking sobs wracked my body for quite awhile, clenching my fists tight against my temples. Finally the sobs subsided to silent tears falling, suddenly a wave of nausea hit to with such an extent, so that turn myself around quickly to puke over the rooftop wall. ''Ugh!....dinner ain't good a second time.''

Not even bothering to wipe my eyes I lift my head, finding the north star through blurry vision. It was like a beacon guiding me back from the darkness, my belief in God shattered as it was it's all I had left. Taking off my braves cap tossing it aside to pray, in my heartbroken state there wasn't much else to do. ''If you are up there God prove it!..we're stuck down here in a nightmare...if you even care help us out!''

Every time I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is just another train, my Kaitlyn's memories would surface to ease my weary mind. Once one of her cats delivered litter of kittens, the runt of the litter had been pushed out. Kaitlyn found it laying on the concrete cold as ice nearly dead, she was up for days to save it's life. Keeping the kitten wrapped in microwave warmed towels, she made formula even hand feeding it with an eyedropper. Kaitlyn never gave up or even doubted it wouldn't survive, needless to say I got the message loud and clear.

Turning back around to lean back against the wall, scrubbing my face free of tears with my hands. Just sitting there I took a small sip of water, rinsing the vile taste out of my mouth to spit it out. Picking the braves cap up I try to put it on, the stinging pain from the split lump from hitting the wall prevented it. ''Oww! Bad Idea Cramer you dumb ass!'' Yeah there I was talking to myself again, no surprise right?

Edna

It was pitch-dark when I woke up from something wetting my face. There was something going on outside my room, at first I thought the kids were having a party, but soon it dawned on me they were not singing, nothing in the noises I heard indicated they were having fun.

I grabbed the flashlight from under my pillow and saw it was raining from the ceiling. As quick as I could I covered my piano with my raincoat and my quilt. I rolled my blankets and covered them and most of my bed with my winter coat, wondering what the youngsters had done to make the sprinkler system start. I hoped they hadn't started a campfire. My old all weather parka I threw over the upholstery of my chair. There wasn't much I could do now.

I put my dressing gown and my rain boots on and opened my umbrella (inside the house! But, if it rained inside the house that wouldn't mean I brought bad luck on me I supposed) and I opened my door a crack to find out what exactly was going on.

They were fighting! I closed my door, put my commode in front of it and sat down on my bed. After a little while I put my flashlight out. I didn't lay it down though, I kept it in my hand. I would knock it on the head of whoever would enter my room! I never prayed much, not even when I was hiding with those brave people in the Garden Center, actually Amanda's constant praying had annoyed me extremely, but now I did.

"Thank you, God!" I said aloud when the raining stopped, although I was very well aware He didn't stop it at all, it had only been a matter of time until the tanks would run dry all along, but I was grateful all the same.

Fighting the zombies with fire was a great idea, but inside it was less practical. I wouldn't have to tell them that, surely they had discovered that themselves now. Sighing I closed the umbrella, shook it out and added more water to the puddles on my floor. Luckily I hadn't found a carpet to cover the floor with yet. I shone my light around to establish the damage the water had done. Dear Mr. Astuhli had removed most of the things that had been stored here, and he had put three of the shelving systems behind each other to create an open cupboard with very deep shelves to divide my sleeping area from my sitting area.

"See, Miss Edna, now you have a big cupboard you can use from both sides. Clothes on the bedroom side and books and your music on the living room side," he had said pleased with himself, because he had created enough space Martin and Phil could build my bed while Louise carted more of the things I had no use for to some storage room. Some cleaning utensils like a vacuum cleaner, a broom, a bucket, a mop and a dustpan with a brush I kept though. The rest, cartons with old books, two battered tables, some desks, chairs with rollers missing and so on she and Mr. Astuhli unloaded somewhere .

The shelves were even deep enough my guitars found a safe place on them. I was so grateful when I went over to the cupboard, my guitars were dry! As was most of my clothes, my spare bedding and everything else since I hadn't pulled them to the edges. I simply like a neat cupboard without things touching the edges of the shelves.

Even my music sheets were only a bit moist at the margins.

Since the noise had subdued somewhat I went to the door. I couldn't hear fighting anymore. People were screaming, but more like calling out to each other what to do.

I took some rags and the bucket and started to dry my furniture.

Last edited:
Cassandra has a pun breakdown

So here is the problem with puns and loving them so much. Sometimes it is hard to stop. I looked at Derry and Deacon hugging. It was a touching emotional moment. But what I saw was Deacon covered in Zombie gore … only his face and chest (where his shirt had been) was not covered in gooey sticky green gore. By the way he was pretty ripped! As he hugged her … the green stuff was now all over her.

I said something I should not have. “Derry your relationship with Deacon is really messy … I mean the guy is dripping trouble … in fact both of you are a mess … so messy you two are stuck together!” I giggled

Derry and Deacon both looked at me and said “Cassandra … SHUT UP”

I did … I grabbed the headless zombie as the two of them hugged and dragged it over to the staircase. Warning the people below I pushed it over. As I stood up looking what else needed to be done … I looked at the library.

It was a mess. There was water and dead zombies everywhere. The explosion had splattered zombie pieces on some of the walls. We’d need ladders to get at those pieces.

I had also made a mess of my relationship with Derry and Deacon … I think both of them were pretty pissed at me. Just because I could not stop making jokes and puns!

I thought about my relationships here in the library and I was always the third person … Deacon and Derry … Ria and Bart … Noah and Crammer … I called them triangle relationships and you know what happens to those … soon they become wreck-tangle.

AHHHHHH another pun! I could not stop!!! I started to cry … I mean a real gusher … tears running down my face … I was sobbing ... I just could not take it anymore. This zombie thing was real ... and people were dying ... and it wasn't something to joke about!

When I heard Deacon's voice I looked up relieved and embarrassed at the same time. But he didn't care, he just wrapped his arms around me. I kept on thinking, (Thank gods he's alive!) We stayed like that for long moments when I suddenly noticed Cassandra standing near the wall where the head had rolled. I could see that she was going to continue with her puns....she just had that look on her face. I rolled my eyes as she started.

“Derry your relationship with Deacon is really messy … I mean the guy is dripping trouble … in fact both of you are a mess … so messy you two are stuck together!”

Deacon looked up then over to where Cassie was now giggling, we replied at the same time,

“Cassandra … SHUT UP”

Cassie now made a hasty exit with the head in tow. I looked back at Deacon shaking my head laughing slightly at her horrid puns. But now I couldn't ignore the condition we were in. Deacon's goo was now stuck on me...I took his shoulders and pushed him away enough to look down on our chests.

" OH YUCK AND DOUBLE YUCK!"

I also couldn't miss the fact our skin to skin contact was getting a response from me. I made a face hoping he didn't notice chuckling,

"I think that Cassie has a point, we need to wash this goo off before it dries on permanently. But first are you hurt?...if you are we need to rub it with anything we can find that is dirty."

He has some scratches on his cheek and neck, I glance around noticing there is mud on the bottom of one of my shoes, so I go over and get some on my hand. In stalking mode I hold my hand up in the air while laughingly declare,

"Come here Deacon...I have something for you!"

Before he can make a move I smear the mud on his cheek and neck...then more on his nose laughing all the while. Suddenly I hear sobbing coming from just outside the door. I look at Deacon whispering,

"You know if I didn't know better I would say that sounds like Cassie...come on!"

Deacon

Only as we parted did I realize that Derry was dressed in just her underwear, I tried to avert my gaze, but she went to gain some mud from under her shoe and returned to me. Of course for her to reach, I had to lean down and that meant that I could not help but notice her nakedness once more. She on the other hand seemed to notice almost nothing about it as she headed out of the room, her only covering some zombie gore that transferred from me to her and her underwear. We found Cassandra close to where I had dropped my t-shirt and I scooped it up, dirty or not it was covering. Before Derry could say or do anything else as we came up to Cassandra, I slipped the t-shirt over her head,

"I know it's dirty, but there is a lot people watching."

I gave her a small smile and turned my attention to Cassandra,

"Cass? You OK, You hurt?"

I casually checked her over from where I stood, but couldn't see any serious marks or lacerations, so the best was to wait for her response.

Derry and Deacon came over asking me what was wrong.

“LOOK AT THIS PLACE … it is totally destroyed! I caused it … I used the damn flame throwing squirt guns … one started to leak …” I sobbed for a second and continued “and threw it at the zombies and used the second one to blow it up.”

Derry and Deacon patted my shoulders and said it was ok …

“It is not ok … there are dead people running around trying to eat the living people! It is not ok!! I HATE THIS … I want my old life back …”

“Cassandra” Derry said, but I did not let her finish and pushed her away.

“WHERE IS THE ARMY…WHERE ARE THEY!!” I yelled at her and then I got a determined look in my eyes. I pushed past them and ran down the stairs and got to the first floor. The front fire doors were closed and would take too long to open. So I headed for the fire door the zombies had used to come into the building. I reopened it and slammed it shut behind me. The smell of burning zombies almost made me gag. The napalm deacon had used was still burning. But I could still get through and got into my mustang. I pulled out my spare key and started the engine … and took off.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/01-2013-shelby-gt500-cobra.jpg

It was still deep in the night and only campus street lights were on. But they were enough for me to drive with. I was still crying … tears running down my face … but I had decided if the army did not want to rescue us … I’d go rescue the army! I got on to freeway 126 and opened it (my lights on now). There were almost no cars on the road … at least for this stretch … so I PUNCHED IT. The acceleration felt great as I sank way back into my seat. Then things started to appear near the road … zombies … FUCKING ZOMBIES … they were trying to ruin my fun … MY LIFE. I aimed for them … as luck would have it … I was going too fast or they were going too slow. But they did not reach the road before I passed them.

But it was enough to cause me to slow down. I was totally out of control and I needed to engage my brain again. I slammed on the brakes. Antilock braking system kicking in … I kind did not want it too … I wanted to skid to a stop. So I pulled up on the parking brake too … that did it … burnt rubber everywhere. I sat there for a minute … breathing hard. My cell phone was buzzing. I ignored it … driving while texting was dangerous you know! The zombies that had seen me were closer now. I threw the car in reverse and floored it … there is a really satisfying CRUNCH when your car hits a bunch of zombies traveling at maybe 30 mph but even better … I watched as the bodies of those zombies went flying backwards and smeared on the pavement. I had stopped the car upon impact. There was damage to my mustang’s rear end. But that was ok … because Cassandra was back! The insane emotional wreck was gone. I felt better now. I decide while I was out and about … and so close to the National Guard Armory that I should precede towards it. I move out slowly and turned off onto North 28th street.

Deacon

I watched as Cassandra took off, there was something wrong, but she ran out of the door before I could reach her to stop her. Damn! Moments later a car engine roared to life and I raced up to the roof, in time to see Cassandra in a Mustang racing away. I leaned onto the wall and sighed deeply, I hope she would at least survive this outburst, there was just no way that any of the cars available could pursue her, they were just too slow and from the rumbling engine I guess that Cassandra had some engine work done on her car as well.

I turned and there against the wall on the opposite side of the roof sat a figure, it dawned on me that there were no guards on the roof, but at the moment that seemed the last of our worries. I moved over and as I drew closer I saw that it was Cramer, he looked a mess and from the way his eyes looked he also had a bit of a breakdown. Perhaps this was getting to us all,

"Hey big guy."

I sat down next to him, my legs extended,

"You OK?"

I motioned vaguely to take in the area,

"As OK as can be in these times?"

Hearing Cassie's supped up Mustang roar to life I stirred slightly, as she ripped off like a bat out of hell. As Deacon spoke I raised my eyes to his gathering myself together, realizing what he said a reply finally came out. ''Yeah...just trying to deal with the fact I took two lives tonight.'' Taking a drink of water and let out a heavily burdened sigh.

''Saed Ashtuli the Muslim man asked...no begged I end his life as he was in agony.'' I must have looked like hell as filthy and exhausted as I was, my eyes searched Deacon's for any sign he understood me. Not knowing the big man that well at all, but behind the scars was a man with hard but honest eyes. He was good too Derry so he had my approval already, everyone needed someone in this insane world of ours.

With a grunt I tried and failed to rise my feet, reaching out to Deacon for a hand up. ''A little help man?''
Grabbing my hand and wrist we both grunted as we got me off my ass. ''Thanks buddy...you look as tuckered out as I do...heard bout your Berserker rage you went into and passed the hell out. You ok?'' He looked really worn out to me I thought, but I bet everyone is really worn out after very little sleep.

Patting Deacon on the shoulder with a half hearted grin ''Damn! we smell like rancid zombie ass c'mon.'' Heading the the roof hatch as Deacon hadn't closed it, climbing back down the ladder into the Knight. Limping a little as I walked down the four flights, there was no reason to hurry I didn't want to be either.

Deacon

I looked up at the stars and then at Cramer,

"You know, no matter how much the world changes, taking a life is never easy. Not even when it is under that circumstances. I think that is where the war veterans fold, no matter under what orders and for what reasons, taking a human life weighs on the human soul."

I helped him up and clapped a hand gently on his shoulder,

"I think we both need a good wash and some sleep, later is a new day."

I followed him and then closed the trap door behind us, once inside the Knight I found Derry. I shook my head,

"She took off, there is no way to catch up with her. I hope she will stop or at least slow down."

I touched her shoulder,

"I need a shower and then head for bed."

I came back with the mud from my shoe on my hand and tried reaching up to smear it on Deacon's cheek, he went along with me by leaning down with a slight grin. I laughed as I carefully put it on the cut on his cheek then the two small scrapes on the left side of his neck. Once I was finished I couldn't help myself, I took the last of it and stuck it on his nose....laughing uproariously. He got a glint in his eyes and was about to return the favour when I heard sobbing in the hall.

Turning my head towards the doorway I just knew it was Cassie, without worrying about just having panties on, I ran out the door, leaving poor Deacon behind with mud on his face. I was right, it was Cassie bawling her eyes out, but before I could even put my arms around her, Deacon slipped his t-shirt over my head, even thought it was full of Zombie blood and gore. I looked at him as he said,

"I know it's dirty, but there is a lot people watching."

I nodded at his smile indicating I accepted his concern before he turned to Cassie asking,

"Cass? You OK, You hurt?"

That was the signal she needed to stop crying and start venting. We let her go on and on, since she obviously needed to get it all out of her system, patting her shoulders at times. Finally I said,

"Cassandra"

But she would have none of it, she pushed me away yelling,

“WHERE IS THE ARMY…WHERE ARE THEY!!”

Before we could stop her she took off downstairs while I called hoping she would come to her senses. But before I could do anything she was out the doors, I watched Deacon who had immediately taken off after her. But she beat him to the door, shortly afterwards I heard a car roar away at top speed. There was nothing we could do now but wait for her to come back safe. I could see that Deacon was needed so I waved for him to go on and turned to go back to my room.

Quickly gathering my one remaining clean t-shirt and pants, along with my one other pair of panties I headed to the shower. I kept hopping that Cassie would come back soon, and in the meantime, I had to get my room cleaned up after my shower. Entering the shower room, I put my cloths on the chair got my supplies in hand and stepped into the shower. I let the water rinse most of the stinking gore off before lathering up my hair and body.

I was soon dried and clothed again ready to tackle my room, afterwards I thought I would go see if anyone needed a hand. I really didn't want to know the extent of the damage, (talking about the death toll)...call me a coward if you want.

It didn't take long to clean up my room, just put the chair back and mop up the floor. I sighed, knowing I now had to go downstairs and try to help out where I could. I came across Deacon and Crammer. These two were big men, I had to look up quietly mouthing, (Cassie?).... Deacon shook his head,

"She took off, there is no way to catch up with her. I hope she will stop or at least slow down."

He touched my shoulder adding that he was going to shower and head for bed. I could see he was all done in, Cramer didn't look much better. I smiled replying,

"The both of you look like could use a shower and sleep, I am just going to see if anyone needs a hand around here, but I pretty much doubt it. I watched as they made their way to the shower room. I sighed, things looked like they were under control now, the rest of the clean up could wait until tomorrow. I turned around sighing as I headed back to my room again.

Last edited:
Deacon went his way to find Derry and I wearily went my was to shower. Taking mens body wash from my toiletry kit, grabbing a towel and washcloth I hung both up. Untied my work boots pulling them off, damnit forgetting to get to get a change of clothes. Walking carefully to the storage room find my shirt a jeans, it was a good thing I'd kept them in a plastic bag. Opening the bag pull out my only other change of clothes.

Heading back to into the shower area, stripping out of my disgustingly befouled clothing. Turn on the water adjusted the temperature, stepping beneath the steaming flow of water sighing. Rinsing the gore from my body noticing the weight loss, one good thing was the old beer gut was gone. Lathering myself slowly letting the hot water do it's job, others needed to shower so I rinsed off and turn off the water.

Stepping out of the shower to dry off, thoroughly drying myself with a towel. Pulling on my underwear, jeans, flannel shirt, socks along with my boots. Placing the dirty towel in the bin for them, nasty clothes in a plastic bag we kept for such occasions. Put my body wash back into my toiletry kit, as my hair was buzzed off I didn't need much. So I make my way to find Norah to see how she's doing, finding her out in the halfway hugging herself.

"Hey Darlin...how ye holding up huh?'' Norah doesn't say a word just wraps her arms tightly around me, holding her close I place a soft kiss on the top of her head. Rocking side to side slowly with her in my arms ''You smell nice'' Norah's voice was muffled against my chest as she spoke. ''No more Mr. stinky'' She manages a reserved giggle as I used her term for unshowered me ''I'm ok...Lee said John might loose his arm.'' Reaching up my right hand caressing Norah's hair. ''Have faith he's a strong young man'' We find comfort in each others arms, so just letting it last as long as it possibly could. ''Yeah...John is''

Back