Profile Pics How Much do you care about them?

I've struggled to pick an avatar. But maybe a favorite bird:
ospreystaredown.jpg
I think you'd look dapper as an owl.

orly_original.jpg

A fish eagle doing the can-can! Sir David Attenborough would kill to catch that on camera.

They're the same thing. Avatar=profile pic

Sometimes, not always. my Profile pic has yet to matriculate to my forum avatar. Glitch in teh matrix somewhere...

I mean the terms are interchangable.
Again, maybe NOW, but that isn't what they were before the forum software change. There was an Avatar that appeared beside your forum posts, a Profile Picture that appeared only when someone viewed your Profile page and there was also a Signature Picture that would appear in the Signature box below your forum posts.

Though the option is no longer there for the last two, some people still have them if they set them before the change.
Lotsa sites say that... aaannndd lots of them don't care. I think my first avatar on here was Samourai Jack. I've used Vash The Stampede on many sites. I've changed nearly all of them on sites I'm active on to the toon meme pic of me. I know one site I still have my Daria avatar.
But THIS site is a literary site for authors who DO, or should care more about these things.

Again, maybe NOW, but that isn't what they were before the forum software change. There was an Avatar that appeared beside your forum posts, a Profile Picture that appeared only when someone viewed your Profile page and there was also a Signature Picture that would appear in the Signature box below your forum posts.

Though the option is no longer there for the last two, some people still have them if they set them before the change.

But THIS site is a literary site for authors who DO, or should care more about these things.
The picture in your profile is still an avatar. I know what you mean. I'm just saying the terms themselves mean the same thing, it doesn't matter if it's here, facebook, or a gaming console. Profile pic is just a relatively new synonym for avatar, because of social media, specifically Facebook and Myspace. Microsoft still uses avatar, and like old bcc code messageboards, you have two; your xbox avatar and another one that goes with your Gamer Tag. Snapchat also uses two in the same way; one for messaging and a person one.

Tow motors and forklifts, bro. It's like arguing over banners and background pics. LushStory calls it a banner, Facebook calls it a background pic, they're the same thing. That's all I'm saying. In two different sections, they served the same purpose. It's like how everybody calls those things emojis,,which I think was coined by cell phone companies or those who make software for them. When orginally they were emoticons, then smilies. I'm on another board that uses this layout and had been longer than here, it only lets you use one avatar. It's probably a sacrifice for everything else this software does,[that Manu hasn't fully implimented] and as far as websites goes, having two is really uncommon to the point that it was probably exclusive to bcc boards, because they're the only ones I've ever seen do it and they're just super common and were the standard for decades. It was like html boards were here and gone with htmls total usage, when I started using the internet(or at least had my own access), which was well after Usenet was gone, I think.

When it comes to avatars, I think the copyright thing is kinda trivial. I mean... how many people here aren't using some random pic? Mine is an Etsy product I found through Pintrest. If somebody wanted to use one of my creep girl drawings, I really wouldn't care. Most people aren't Disney, MTV is not going to sue me or InThe00s for my Daria avatar. The flip side is being stuck using site provided avatars, which can suck, unless it's Reddit that at least lets you customize them.

I think that it is more annoying when they don't have a profile picture. The one that I have was simply a mood setting for when I was writing a vampire story. I have been thinking of changing it, but I am not too concerned with it.

Attachments

• everything-you-need-to-know-about-owls-legs-facts-types-size-features-2.jpg
    everything-you-need-to-know-about-owls-legs-facts-types-size-features-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4
Back