Versatile authors

I doubt there are a massive number of regular posters here (think "the usual suspects," those who post here every day or so) who do enough disparate reading on the site to be familiar with all that many "versatile" writers.

Speaking for myself, I tend to read in two or three (four, maybe) different categories that reflect my kinks, or I use the tag portal; either way, if I'm casually looking for something to read one-handed, I'm not taking undue notice of the writer's username. Certainly not closely enough to have it at my fingertips when a thread like this starts up.

My tastes as a writer are FAR more diverse than my tastes as a reader. I have no reason to think I'm all that unusual in that; on the contrary, as threads like this show (and as you point out), we're way more familiar with our own work than we tend to be with that of other writers.

Just my $.02. Most of my go-to writers tend to focus on the few categories that reflect my interests. Even if they write in other categories, I'm not reading those stories and can't use them as a recommendation for others.
Not arguing, just people are different.

Nowadays, I read writers, not categories or tags (I do avoid some categories and also authors whose work is dominated by stories in the categories I don’t like).

Each to their own.

Emily

Not arguing, just people are different.

Nowadays, I read writers, not categories or tags (I do avoid some categories and also authors whose work is dominated by stories in the categories I don’t like).

Each to their own.

Emily

I just checked; I'm "following" six writers, and only one of them posts here on the regular. Two or three of them I'd recommend to anyone and everyone, and yet? They're not versatile.

The vast majority of the stories I seek out casually come off the "new" menu, and aren't any of those six.

My reply was seeking to mitigate the somewhat snarky conclusion @lovecraft68 was coming to.

I'll quote @NoTalentHack :

That was on

Love is the Last (4.59) Husband's tale of love from the front lines. Romance

Alena's Game starts here:

Alena's Game Ch. 01 (4.44) Alena's husband is completely under her control in the club. NonConsent/Reluctance
Thanks for the call out...! Unexpected, given the number of authors on here. But yeah, it's quite gratifying to get traction in large story series in different categories. It's long road to building up the follower list by *not* putting all the stories into I/T or LW, but it's a more interesting road I think.

That's an accomplishment. The sr71plt account has Hs in 13 categories (with the KeithD account adding 2 more) and Green Es in 6 categories.

It may be a bit difficult to get a handle on an author's versatility at Literotica, as some may have done as I did to avoid backlash--opened separate accounts, but same author, for wildly divergent categories they write in. I started with the single, sr71plt, account, but eventually split out divergent categories into separate accounts.
Apologies for going off Em's topic, but KeithD hits on something that's been near the top of my mind recently, but in reverse.
Has anyone ever tried to consolidate multiple accounts into one?
I realize that the spare account I opened for just the reason KeithD points out, segregating divergent categories, isn't really needed. I'd like to sweep all of the stories from "B" into "A", and hopefully retain the original published dates and votes, comments, e.tc.
Anyone ever tried this? Were you successful?

On the thread topic, my initial feeling is in line with Voboy, if a writer I like posts a story in a category I don't like so much, I'm unlikely to read it, regardless of my admiration for the writer.
However, I will go and put some brain cells to use on the idea of who manages to write very different, but equally good stories even within the same category.

I've had people comment that they managed to make their way through some of my stuff but it was a struggle. I'm not sure how quite to take that... either they enjoyed my stories in other categories and wanted to see how this one turned out even though maledom/femdom/AI/forniphilia/graphic woodworking wasn't their thing... or, I'm a real struggle to read...?!?

I like the idea of this thread, because I value versatility. The problem is that I haven't sampled enough stories of particular authors to know how effectively versatile they are. I tend to associate certain authors with certain kinds of stories and tend to go back to them to read those stories. I strive for versatility myself, but I haven't written nearly as many stories, or sampled as many categories, as some other authors have.

TarnishedPenny is one of my favorite authors and is one of the few whose works I've sampled more broadly, so I would describe her as being versatile. She's written around 100 stories that span at least 14 different categories.

As I’ve said before, you have to be something of a narcissist to write. To believe that your internal thoughts would be of interest to anyone else. So it’s not surprising. But we can strive to be a bit better 😊.

Emily

Wanting to give something to the world isn't narcissistic. Everyone has different ways to express themselves. Some do it better in person, others with textwork, some through painting or other forms of art. I can understand how one could perceive it as being narcissistic - because really, what consequences do we as individuals truly create through our actions, on the world around us? - but in reality, the answer is: Plenty.

Think of it this way; Someone might be going through a hard time in life. Then they stumble on that one particular story of yours that truly speaks to them, that deals with a subject matter similar to their struggles. And they see the light at the end of the tunnel through your writing, your shared experience. Now your story made a difference to someone. You might never know it, but it happens all the time. Just like the words you might share with a friend, or even a stranger, can sometimes resonate and cause ripple effects that truly lead to something impactful. Sometimes perhaps not until years down the line.

On a less astonishing note, we write stories that are often sexually gratifying. Thus, we give pleasure to the world. 😅 In a world as bleak as our own, that by itself has some value, even if society doesn't look too fondly on it. I bet Literotica as a whole has lowered the stress levels of countless millions of people over the years! I don't see it as selfish or egotistical. On the contrary; you're taking something that you could have kept all to yourself and sharing it with the world, free of charge. In a messed up sort of way, it's an act of charity. ;)

Now for a more on-topic post:

@FreyaGersemi has not been around for very long here on Literotica but they have impressed me with their versatility. They started with well-written but rather classical lovestories with hot sex, but has over time shown that they handle difficult subject matters incredibly well, can keep an audience captivated even with a non-erotic series, and that they handle philosophical matters and even science-fiction on a stellar level. They balance humour with serious, thought-provoking conversations seemingly quite effortlessly. Everytime they upload something to a new category that they had not explored previously, I am positively surprised. 💙

Wanting to give something to the world isn't narcissistic. Everyone has different ways to express themselves. Some do it better in person, others with textwork, some through painting or other forms of art. I can understand how one could perceive it as being narcissistic - because really, what consequences do we as individuals truly create through our actions, on the world around us? - but in reality, the answer is: Plenty.

Think of it this way; Someone might be going through a hard time in life. Then they stumble on that one particular story of yours that truly speaks to them, that deals with a subject matter similar to their struggles. And they see the light at the end of the tunnel through your writing, your shared experience. Now your story made a difference to someone. You might never know it, but it happens all the time. Just like the words you might share with a friend, or even a stranger, can sometimes resonate and cause ripple effects that truly lead to something impactful. Sometimes perhaps not until years down the line.

On a less astonishing note, we write stories that are often sexually gratifying. Thus, we give pleasure to the world. 😅 In a world as bleak as our own, that by itself has some value, even if society doesn't look too fondly on it. I bet Literotica as a whole has lowered the stress levels of countless millions of people over the years! I don't see it as selfish or egotistical. On the contrary; you're taking something that you could have kept all to yourself and sharing it with the world, free of charge. In a messed up sort of way, it's an act of charity. ;)
I agree. Writing is narcissistic, just not only narcissistic. And yeah, I have had a few instances of people writing to me about just what you describe. And it’s very moving. You feel it’s all worth while.

However, some elements are clearly all me, me, me, me, me… it’s a balance.

Emily

@FreyaGersemi has not been around for very long here on Literotica but they have impressed me with their versatility. They started with well-written but rather classical lovestories with hot sex, but has over time shown that they handle difficult subject matters incredibly well, can keep an audience captivated even with a non-erotic series, and that they handle philosophical matters and even science-fiction on a stellar level. They balance humour with serious, thought-provoking conversations seemingly quite effortlessly. Everytime they upload something to a new category that they had not explored previously, I am positively surprised. 💙
I'm honored, @Devinter. Thank you! 😊

I know that lately I've taken a detour (it all started with the 750 Word Challenge), but I'm uploading more of the "classical lovestories with hot sex" stories this week!

The following is an opinion. :cool:

I'm not saying the writers here aren't versatile, but from my Lit reading, a lot of them choose not to be. They write what they enjoy and focus on that. I found a writer with 120 stories in one category, with only one that wasn't. It was in the How To category and it was about how to write stories in the other category.

But to point out the versatile ones, you need to look no further than those who participate in challenges and contests with some regularity. They seem more interested in stretching themselves as authors.

Some authors here pick a genre (or a range of them) and excel in delivering amazing work within these parameters. Constraints can lead to creativity. You do see some profile pages where 90% of stories are in one category.

It’s not those authors I wanted to highlight here, but instead those butterflies who flit from subject to subject and are still able to write impactfully. Those who can do pathos and humor. Gritty realism and wild SciFi. Tender romance and rough sex. Different voices of different protagonists with different motivations and different predilections. And yet still authentic.

Who do you think is a master or mistress of this less focused approach?

Emily

Note: I really wanted to highlight other authors here, so please no self-nomination
For me, when I assesed your question. It made me ask myself. What is versatitity?
Do you have to write in different categories?
Different genres? Different plot lines and characters?
For me after considering. I think versatility comes from the approach to a story.
Can the writer speak from different perspectives... Tell different stories within the confines of a set parameter.
Can they sound genuine in their voice, embrace all cultures and sexualities. It doesn't mean changing categories. It means seeing the world from more than one angle and being able to maintain a realistic flow.
We all feel comfortable in our selected characters, tales. What if you had to write from the villains perspective. Your voice becomes the hated character.
Could you as a writer sell that?
I don't think tackling different kinks shows versatility if you speak through the same voice.
True versatility comes from telling a different story in the same genre...
Just my thoughts....
Cagivagurl

For me, when I assesed your question. It made me ask myself. What is versatitity?
Do you have to write in different categories?
Different genres? Different plot lines and characters?
For me after considering. I think versatility comes from the approach to a story.
Can the writer speak from different perspectives... Tell different stories within the confines of a set parameter.
Can they sound genuine in their voice, embrace all cultures and sexualities. It doesn't mean changing categories. It means seeing the world from more than one angle and being able to maintain a realistic flow.
We all feel comfortable in our selected characters, tales. What if you had to write from the villains perspective. Your voice becomes the hated character.
Could you as a writer sell that?
I don't think tackling different kinks shows versatility if you speak through the same voice.
True versatility comes from telling a different story in the same genre...
Just my thoughts....
Cagivagurl
I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Emily

I think versatility comes from the approach to a story.
Can the writer speak from different perspectives...

Good point. I like a writer who can be convincing writing in different "voices."

Cagivagurl should have dropped the mic after that. So wise.

The way I look at versatility, it is the ability to write wholly unique characters from story to story. Like, >palm smack to the head< where did that character come from?! Yikes! That’s where the fun is.

Or the setting/situation. Same but different? Too many times, more of the same and less of the different.

Genre versatility means nothing if the story is just recycled in different clothing.

I posted this twenty minutes before you (9:20am vs 9:40am). Your influence is even stronger than you think, it permeates back in time 😊. Some theoretical physicists want to talk to you.

Emily
's all done with quantum mechanics. Feynman diagrams show particles going backwards in time as easily as they go forward.

As for versatile writers, there's you, right at or near the top. And OneHitWanda. And way too many others to name! I find the depth and breadth of the writing on this site to be incredible.

And GR equations work in reverse as well. So how come no white holes 🤣?

Emily
More seriously, Dirac noted the symmetry in his famous equation, and soon after we discovered antimatter was a thing. Aside from mathematical formalism, we haven’t detected anything breaking the arrow of time, and I doubt we ever will 😊.

Emily (an ex-biologist not an ex-physicist, but interested)

As for versatile writers, there's you, right at or near the top. And OneHitWanda. And way too many others to name! I find the depth and breadth of the writing on this site to be incredible.
That’s very kind of you to say, thank you 😊.

Writing in my 19th category at present. Doubt I’ll hit them all, and I agree that category count is not the only measure of versatility.

Got ☝️☝️☝️wrong. 18 categories in just my 750 word stories. I’m currently writing in my 25th category overall.

Emily

Last edited:
Back