nonlinear scale for visualizing story ratings?

4.5 rating is 53rd percentile
That's mind-boggling. So the coveted red H is, overall, a sign of mediocrity? But I'm not constantly reading 4.5+ stories and thinking, meh, about average. And certainly it's not been my experience that every other story I see has the red H.

Do you have any explanation for why my perception disagrees so strongly with apparent reality? E.g., are there subsets of stories that inflate the average? Forgiving categories, highly-rated series, etc.?

Well, between a 4.49 and a 4.5 there is one-one-hundreths of a tenth of a point. In other words not enough to worry about. But some people do. A don't stew is about 4.46. The only reason to worry about this is because people perceive that 4.5 means more than 4.46 does. It doesn't. At least, not to me.
I was thinking about plotting story ratings and realized that I'd probably want a nonlinear scale. People care much more about the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 than they do about 1 vs 2. By the time you get into the rarefied 4.9s, people probably care about hundredths. (I assume. It's not as if I have any stories there.)

I know we have some nerds around. Anyone want to talk data visualization with me?

Maybe plot ln(6 - RATING) ? That seems pretty good: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=log(6-x) About half the scale would be 3.3 and up, a quarter for 4.35 and up.

Thoughts?

That's mind-boggling. So the coveted red H is, overall, a sign of mediocrity? But I'm not constantly reading 4.5+ stories and thinking, meh, about average. And certainly it's not been my experience that every other story I see has the red H.

Do you have any explanation for why my perception disagrees so strongly with apparent reality? E.g., are there subsets of stories that inflate the average? Forgiving categories, highly-rated series, etc.?
No great explanation. To do a decent job of digging, I'd need to categorize 23K stories as to stand-alone, chapter 1, chapter 2+, and series starter (a story that starts a series but doesn't have any designation as a chapter 1). I'm spending my time writing and editing stories right now. When I get bored of doing that, I might do that categorization. Do you want to volunteer to do it?

Edit: I forgot - The stats are for 28 days after the story is posted. Ratings rise over the first 30 days, so red H's will be rarer when the stories are on the hub. More stories will get red H's as they age.

a story that starts a series but doesn't have any designation as a chapter 1
How would you recognize this? (What data do you have about each story?) Would I have to fetch each story's first page and scrape the series info box?

How would anyone know its the first chapter if you don't tell them?
No great explanation. To do a decent job of digging, I'd need to categorize 23K stories as to stand-alone, chapter 1, chapter 2+, and series starter (a story that starts a series but doesn't have any designation as a chapter 1).

No great explanation. To do a decent job of digging, I'd need to categorize 23K stories as to stand-alone, chapter 1, chapter 2+, and series starter (a story that starts a series but doesn't have any designation as a chapter 1). I'm spending my time writing and editing stories right now. When I get bored of doing that, I might do that categorization. Do you want to volunteer to do it?

Edit: I forgot - The stats are for 28 days after the story is posted. Ratings rise over the first 30 days, so red H's will be rarer when the stories are on the hub. More stories will get red H's as they age.
In my vampire series, The Sacrifice Tales, I use the brief description field to give the number of the story so people can follow along in order. That reminds me, I haven't put up a new part in forever.

Scratch that, I didn't do that. I intended to do so but didn't. And there isn't enough room on the titles to have the number. I need to fix that.
Screenshot 2024-02-27 174020.png

How would you recognize this? (What data do you have about each story?) Would I have to fetch each story's first page and scrape the series info box?
How would anyone know its the first chapter if you don't tell them?
Here's the information I go through:
1709077202050.png
"Daddy and Uncle Jay's Girl", "Grandma's Visit" and "Sunday at St. Michael's" are what I call Starters. I manually check that box for them on this form. One way to catch them is by looking at the column on the right, which is the name of the Literotica series stories belong to. Sometimes the starter will be in the series, sometimes they won't. Sometimes, I just have to use the name and descriptions to figure things out. "Schrute Farms: A Ghost Story" is a chapter based on the description. "Cock-Sucker: Canal Street Pick-Up" is probably in a "Cock-Sucker" series. My software does a first cut of determining if something is a chapter and if it's the first chapter, but they are frequently wrong.

Attachments

• 1709076943377.png
    1709076943377.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
It might, but if the story is in chronological order, I'd be nice to be searching for the Just Another Fuck Chapter One that is only labeled Just Another Fuck. I know, on a series, sometimes you don't know it's a series until the character comes back to you. But if it is a preplanned book laid out in chapters, I've never seen an index that calls chapter one nothing at all.
A second chapter gives the game away.

It might, but if the story is in chronological order, I'd be nice to be searching for the Just Another Fuck Chapter One that is only labeled Just Another Fuck. I know, on a series, sometimes you don't know it's a series until the character comes back to you. But if it is a preplanned book laid out in chapters, I've never seen an index that calls chapter one nothing at all.
The first down I classified stories, I considered Starter Stories to be Stand-Alone stories. I assumed that someone wrote a story, got encouragement to keep writing about the characters, so they made it into a series. But I see so many series that start that way that I can't help thinking it's an author strategy to get around the 1/3 less views that chapter one stories get.

Whether it's chapters or series, views go down the longer it continues. There is the odd quirk of someone finding a story midstream. They go back and read to that point to continue on, but as a general rule, you lose more than you gain.

Forget the math, just covert everything into a 1-10 scale based on 4.x. Does anything in the threes really count? And I don't think I've ever even seen a story with less than 3.0 average.

They go back and read to that point to continue on, but as a general rule, you lose more than you gain.
I often do that. It sure would be helpful if in the lists (new, top rated, etc), there was a link to the series included under the link to the specific chapter.

That, and my perennial wish, that word count or pages was included on the lists.

Good luck with any of those things happening.
I often do that. It sure would be helpful if in the lists (new, top rated, etc), there was a link to the series included under the link to the specific chapter.

That, and my perennial wish, that word count or pages was included on the lists.

You've not read anything by me, then. I have several first chapters that aren't chapter numbered. Sometimes because the idea for sequel came along later, but mostly because I did name a chapter one, once, but never wrote the second chapter. So I've avoided repeating that trap, by not chapter one-ing unless the whole thing is written (or at least, enough to get by).

This is a lot of talk, and a hell of a lot of effort...for something that will never happen.

What we have is not perfect, but it's what we have, and I don't understand the energy people put in to 'this would be better' conversations.

I wouldn't say I've never read anything by you because I have. And I understand the lack of a part one or a chapter one when it becomes a series. The Limited 35-character titles create issues for chapter or part numbers as well. I was talking about novels, not stories here, and the difficulty of identifying by numbers at Lit. The title length is an issue all around. And I swear it's changed in length since I was here the first time. When I posted The Reluctant Representative in the first round, I'm sure it had the full title, The Remembrance of the Reluctant Representative, which is 46 or 47 characters.
You've not read anything by me, then. I have several first chapters that aren't chapter numbered. Sometimes because the idea for sequel came along later, but mostly because I did name a chapter one, once, but never wrote the second chapter. So I've avoided repeating that trap, by not chapter one-ing unless the whole thing is written (or at least, enough to get by).

Back