A new way to obsess over story ratings

My take on the original poster and the entire thread is that it's at least half tongue-in-cheek. The half that isn't would be a suitable subject for Jonathan Swift.
Or it's the emergence of a new and unique fetish on this site... binomial... integration... denominator (denominatrix?)... mmm... hey baby, show me your... umm... calculator...?

I think I'm totally over the whole rating thing. I'll appreciate it as far as the red H seems to make your work more visible, but aside from that I'm over it. After doing the math, only about 0.5% of folks that clicked on my story, bothered to rate the work. So why worry about what such a small percentage thinks?

I think I'm totally over the whole rating thing. I'll appreciate it as far as the red H seems to make your work more visible, but aside from that I'm over it. After doing the math, only about 0.5% of folks that clicked on my story, bothered to rate the work. So why worry about what such a small percentage thinks?
Well, because those people are probably the ones who actually read your story from start to finish, who were impacted the most by your story, but also the ones most likely to vote on your next story, and to leave the oh so precious comment. I'd say that exactly those people you should care the most about, regardless of the actual score.

Many readers who are passionate about literature may choose not to vote regularly, and those who do vote may reserve top marks for truly outstanding works. However, the collective judgment of voters on sites with a focus on explicit content may not always align with what some would consider quality writing.
Oh this has been discussed over and over... I have said so many times already that ratings aren't a true measure of story quality. The reason why I am advising him to treasure those readers who give him some feedback is because he probably writes for the fun of it, to try something new, to get some of his fantasies and ideas out there etc. So basically, the only "payment" he gets is the feedback from the readers and it is quite scarce.
Readers passionate about literature who want to reserve 5* only for the truly outstanding works... I would make a wild guess here and say that there aren't many of those on Lit... In any case there is nowhere near enough of them to make an impact on the ratings.

You don't need to worry or obsess, but that 1% feedback is all you get and, as you say, the Red H brings readers. So in that sense, the ripple on the noise has some value - it's better than a binary thumbs up, thumbs down.

I can read a four page thread, but that op... I tried until I saw "poynts" and zoned out.

That said, if you take the writing metric of 1,000 words an hour, relying on the fact that the chariot scene in Ben Hur employed 10,000 people for one long working day at 120,000 person-hours, the person-effort to produce the above would equate to 1.5 hrs or 12.5 microHurs
New metric I'm suddenly obsessed with: 1 LoR = 576,459 words, including all 3x Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit. I'm currently at 1.15 LoRs. Up to 933,253 words would include lost tales and the silmarillion, which would be classed as Doing the Full Tolkien, which is like the Full Monty but I guess with more dwarves. A way off that still....

New metric I'm suddenly obsessed with: 1 LoR = 576,459 words, including all 3x Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit. I'm currently at 1.15 LoRs. Up to 933,253 words would include lost tales and the silmarillion, which would be classed as Doing the Full Tolkien, which is like the Full Monty but I guess with more dwarves. A way off that still....

Well, by that metric I'm trapped the wrong side the Misty Mountains.

On the plus side I do have my own Book of Unfinished Tales - does that count for anything?

I get what you’re saying, but when you get a one-bomber b£&tard rating you straight away, it doesn’t half shit on your mood. Now only 5’s will move that to my normal rating.

Back