Ratings

Okay. I struggle with math.
Could someone explain the rating system? What do the numbers mean? What is each catagory actually measuring?
Break this down for me.
If I'm inferring correctly, it plays out like this:
  • Hearts are the number of people that have "Favorited" your story,
  • The graph indicates the number of times the story has been viewed. Tis count is not distinct. In other words, a single person that reads your story three times will count as three views. Not sure exactly what constitutes a "view."
  • Stars are votes the first number is the average of all votes. This is calculated by adding them all together and dividing by the second number which is the number of votes.
  • The little balloon is the number of people that have left a comment.

Of course, if you hover your mouse over the numbers, you can see the labels.

If you see a red HOT, that means your average rating is over 4.5.

• Hearts are the number of people that have "Favorited" your story,
  • The graph indicates the number of times the story has been viewed. Tis count is not distinct. In other words, a single person that reads your story three times will count as three views. Not sure exactly what constitutes a "view."
  • Stars are votes the first number is the average of all votes. This is calculated by adding them all together and dividing by the second number which is the number of votes.

Of course, if you hover your mouse over the numbers, you can see the labels.

This is what I'm looking for.
Thank you.

What is a decent rating on a story
? This is based on the 1-5 scale. I would like to hear your comments
I wrote several essays and posted them there over a year ago. They were immediately found and 1 bombed by the LW trolls, and their scores are still in the mid threes. However, in the last couple of weeks, readers are finding them and adding them to favorites, and also following me. To me, that is more important than the score.

What is a decent rating on a story
? This is based on the 1-5 scale. I would like to hear your comments
It's actually a 1-10 scale. Or, more accurately, 4.1 to 5. Pretty much if it is below 4, it is a failure, ratings wise. At least that is how I think of it when I see ratings on my stories.

I tend to only give fours and fives, or no rating. Every so often, if a story is really poorly executed, I might toss a 3 at it. Offensively bad, a 2 or 1, but then I usually don't bother.

It's pretty much the same anywhere. 4.0 is considered bad, below that, not even on the radar. I wish there was a real 1-5 scale, but most readers can't be bothered to make such fine gradations, and most sites, not just Lit, give some kind of extra perks for ratings in the high fours, and nothing at all below that.

Ideally, it would be: 5 - exceptionally good, a masterpiece, given once in a blue moon. Nobody gets an average near this. 4.8+ average might be the all time record. 4 - excellent, solid story, definitely worth a read. 3 - good story, but not memorable or especially meaningful (or especially hot). 2 - some good points to it, but a lot of flaws. 1 - garbage.

Average of 4-5 would get a gold star, 3.5-4 a silver. 1 can be filtered out of search results.

I think a 0-3 scale might be more managable and realistic for readers. 0 means it is completely worthless, but 1 to 3 scales up from kinda OK to excellent.

• Hearts are the number of people that have "Favorited" your story
Yes
A View is click into the first page. The person could click out immediately, but it still counts as a View. Don't ever ever correlate those who click in as complete Reads of your story. Chaptered stories give you some idea how many finish (the View count of the last chapter, roughly), but with a standalone story, you have zero idea.
Yes
Yes
  • Of course, if you hover your mouse over the numbers, you can see the labels.

With at least ten votes.

Math is a difficult concept, it is far to logical for one as illogical as I.
Okay. I struggle with math.
Could someone explain the rating system? What do the numbers mean? What is each catagory actually measuring?
Break this down for me.

Back