Ratings

It's very easy to work out the structure of the site from the html. Every story [in the new layout] has a small section of html with the following id: tabpanel-info

nested within this will be the following elements:

HTML:
<div class="aT_H" title="Rating"><i class="icon icon-star aT_ck"></i><span class="aT_cl">4.38</span></div>
<div class="aT_H" title="Views"><i class="icon icon-diagram aT_ck"></i><span class="aT_cl">1.4k</span></div>
<div class="aT_H" title="Favorites"><i class="icon icon-heart aT_ck aT_rn"></i><span class="aT_cl">7</span></div>
<div class="aT_H" title="Comments"><i class="icon icon-comment aT_ck aT_ro"></i><a title="Link to comments" class="aT_cl aT_mG" href="/s/${story-identifier}/comments">15</a></div>

there are a multiplicity of html parsing libraries that can extract these values.

Simplistically, what you'd do is:

1. index the new page
2. extract links to all stories listed there
3. visit each story page, extract the data above and write it to a database.

it's a couple of hours work for a competent software engineer. The hardest part is not running foul of any heuristics detection that sees spammy requests coming from a single ip or ip address range.

oh. shit. I put my geek hat on for a moment and look what happens.
My panties are damp 😬

Em

It's very easy to work out the structure of the site from the html. Every story [in the new layout] has a small section of html with the following id: tabpanel-info

HTML:
<div class="aT_H" title="Rating"><i class="icon icon-star aT_ck"></i><span class="aT_cl">4.38</span></div>
<div class="aT_H" title="Views"><i class="icon icon-diagram aT_ck"></i><span class="aT_cl">1.4k</span></div>
<div class="aT_H" title="Favorites"><i class="icon icon-heart aT_ck aT_rn"></i><span class="aT_cl">7</span></div>
<div class="aT_H" title="Comments"><i class="icon icon-comment aT_ck aT_ro"></i><a title="Link to comments" class="aT_cl aT_mG" href="/s/${story-identifier}/comments">15</a></div>

there are a multiplicity of html parsing libraries that can extract these values.

1. index the new page

it's a couple of hours work for a competent software engineer. The hardest part is not running foul of any heuristics detection that sees spammy requests coming from a single ip or ip address range.

I can talk about introducing T4-lysozyme into an intracellular loop of a membrane protein to enhance thermostability if you’d like 😬.

Most women love that shit 🤣

Em

I think writers are far more concerned with ratings than readers. Though, many will not read a story that hasn't got a 4.5 or higher. They are the losers when that's their criteria. Who can really know what the readers think about an existing score when they start reading or how they react if the score is lower or higher than think it should be? All the fuss about the scores comes from us, as do the complaints about comments. Then again, most readers don't hang out in the Author's Hangout. (Knowing when hang out is two words and when hangout isn't two words is a story in and of itself.)

Just write the best you can, accept whatever the score is, don't worry about the score, and keep writing. That's my advice on the subject.

I think the inconsistencies in numbers have to do with other things like sweeps.

No, I'm fairly certain it's because values get saved in multiple places and then need to be updated regularly.

A prime example of that would be the number of published stories:
If you open a story, the top of the page will show the author's name and how many stories that author has published. That number will be saved with the story when the story is being published.

So, if you post your first story here, the top of that story page will show that you have only one story published.
If you then publish your second story, the top of that story page will show that you have two stories published, but the top of the story page of your first story will still claim that you only have one story on here. And it sometimes takes a few days for that number to be updated in all of your stories.

So, the number of stories you published is, at the very least, saved with the database table containing the information for a user's submission page, as well as every database table containing your stories' information. But on publishing a story, only the value in the table for your submission page gets automatically updated.

More math and updating the database here and there and all that tech stuff. Does anyone else get confused when people start the math rants?
No, I'm fairly certain it's because values get saved in multiple places and then need to be updated regularly.

If you open a story, the top of the page will show the author's name and how many stories that author has published. That number will be saved with the story when the story is being published.

So, if you post your first story here, the top of that story page will show that you have only one story published.
If you then publish your second story, the top of that story page will show that you have two stories published, but the top of the story page of your first story will still claim that you only have one story on here. And it sometimes takes a few days for that number to be updated in all of your stories.

So, the number of stories you published is, at the very least, saved with the database table containing the information for a user's submission page, as well as every database table containing your stories' information. But on publishing a story, only the value in the table for your submission page gets automatically updated.

I hadn't noticed that the number of stories I have published was on the top of my stories before or that there was a lag on the number being updated. I'll have a story published Monday, and I'll check that then.

Speaking of that, the number of followers on the top of stories definitely lags. For me:
1699647091249.png
From the most followed list:
1699647176415.png
As I got followers 9, 11 and 15 hours ago, that data was captured between 11 and 15 hours ago.

The tops of some of my stories:
1699647380790.png
1699647416331.png
1699647465762.png
1699647499140.png

I hadn't noticed that the number of stories I have published was on the top of my stories before or that there was a lag on the number being updated. I'll have a story published Monday, and I'll check that then.

Just to illustrate, you can check that at any time. I just went to the "New" page and clicked the first entry in that list. It was "Tips for Getting Comments" by silkstockingslover.

That story has been published today, and if you look at the top of the story page, it will tell you that this author now has 663 stories published. But if you click on ANY other story by that author, the top of that story's page will claim that the author only has 662 stories published.

Meaning: The number of published stories for this particular author is saved in AT LEAST 663 different places in the database, which all need to be updated every time this author publishes a new story. :D

Last edited:

HTML:

1. index the new page

Thank you!

More math and updating the database here and there and all that tech stuff. Does anyone else get confused when people start the math rants?
Its not the math, that's always come easy to me, its the fact people waste so much time on this and other people get all googly eyed over it that makes me skip the graphs and commentary on them.

Thanks! This was very helpful in explaining some of the disorientation one can experience on Lit.
The single centre of truth is your Control Panel, which is the only place that shows updates in real time. For example, if you vote on your own story, you'll see the Vote count notch up by one, immediately.

All other places where data such as followers, story counts, story rating and so on are shown, they're always subject to server refresh lags (at different times of the day), or they never ever catch up.

The single centre of truth is your Control Panel, which is the only place that shows updates in real time. For example, if you vote on your own story, you'll see the Vote count notch up by one, immediately.

All other places where data such as followers, story counts, story rating and so on are shown, they're always subject to server refresh lags (at different times of the day), or they never ever catch up.
What he said 🙄🙄🙄

Every time I hit this thread, this is the post I see, top of page two. And I know @onehitwanda will have an appropriate gif, and something in very tiny print.
Nerds get off on nerds. Otherwise there would be no nerds. Applies to girl on girl as well, if with less offspring.

Em

Back