National Coming Out (or not?) Day

Ciceri

Virgin
I've been tempted to come out but I'm not sure I'm in. I support gay rights and defend those who are being persecuted for being different. My sexuality has been in flux and I don't know how to self-identify but I want to be recognized as gay. Can anyone tell me the advantage of coming out? What do I have to lose for leaving the safety of a closet?

I'm not gay, but when my Sister came out to us it just allowed her to be herself around her family.

She already basically lived a Lesbian life, we all pretty much knew and just wanted her to be happy.
Fast forward 25 years or so, she is married and their eldest Child started University in September.

For my Sister there really was no risk from us even though my Parents were devout Catholics, YMMV

I've been tempted to come out but I'm not sure I'm in. I support gay rights and defend those who are being persecuted for being different. My sexuality has been in flux and I don't know how to self-identify but I want to be recognized as gay. Can anyone tell me the advantage of coming out? What do I have to lose for leaving the safety of a closet?
I'm a closet bi, married 30+ years. Intend to stay in the closet. you can quietly come out to those close to you (who probably know) and continue to lead a quiet life. no need to suddenly wave a flag and march in a parade.

I'm a closet bi, married 30+ years. Intend to stay in the closet. you can quietly come out to those close to you (who probably know) and continue to lead a quiet life. no need to suddenly wave a flag and march in a parade.
Does your spouse know? So many people advise me online to come out to my partner. Some say to reveal fetishes and fantasies but that's not me. I cannot imagine a big revelation working out well.

I've been openly Trans for years and it's great, but it ended my marriage to my ex.
I am always a little uncomfortable about picking up terminology from the LGB community, like "out of the closet".
It feels lazy, and not always a good fit, but the support is welcome.

Does your spouse know? So many people advise me online to come out to my partner. Some say to reveal fetishes and fantasies but that's not me. I cannot imagine a big revelation working out well.
I also am a man who is bi and very closeted, my wife of 39 years does not know, the reason is in both her and my upbringings hers Southern Baptist and mine a strict Italian Catholic family both more than frown on anything that is out of the norm which my sexuality certainly is. Remember 39 years ago was a long time and I think things may be a bit different now at least I hope for anyone else.

I would never even consider trying to tell her now as I know it would devastate her and I do very much love her so it has been my decision to be a faithful loving husband even though I sometimes crave cock so badly at times in secret!

I think it depends on the openness of the family situation. I'm bisexual and married. I think my wife may suspect it because I am a crosdresser, and she is not only aware of it, she at times helps me dress. I also know she has a line.

In some situations, maybe even most, I feel it's better to keep it to yourself. It's a lot less questions from the people around you. If I was single I would think the same, I just don't think it necessary for the world to know. Whatever your orientation is, doesn't need to be on a bumper sticker.

I also am a man who is bi and very closeted, my wife of 39 years does not know, the reason is in both her and my upbringings hers Southern Baptist and mine a strict Italian Catholic family both more than frown on anything that is out of the norm which my sexuality certainly is. Remember 39 years ago was a long time and I think things may be a bit different now at least I hope for anyone else.

I would never even consider trying to tell her now as I know it would devastate her and I do very much love her so it has been my decision to be a faithful loving husband even though I sometimes crave cock so badly at times in secret!
Similar background as you. Must be the same social forces at work

Back