NaNoWriMo is coming...

Yes, you can carry a story over but only what you write after Nov. 1 will count.

What you do with a story you use in NaNo is up to you. so using it in the Winter contest would be OK.

You can start before the first but only what you write during Nov counts. Most people use outlines and not rough drafts. Rough drafts could and would make it hard to keep up with what you had actually written.

NaNo is on the honor system with only the writer responsible for what they do. If someone cheats, they are just cheating themselves.

All good questions for newbies, by the way.

I'd just like to clarify that in order to to by the official NaNo rules, you have to start your story *from scratch* on November 1st. No works-in-progress, no continuing on something you are already writing. It has to be a new story. As the moderators there say, it's "National *Novel* Writing Month", not "National write-50k Month".

Of *course* you can choose to continue with an existing story, but that will make you a Rebel. There is nothing *wrong* with that, plenty of us rebel for different reasons, and according to NaNo there *are* no cheaters, simply Rebels. I just wanted to point out what the NaNo rules actually say about starting your novel. https://nanowrimo.uservoice.com/kno...have-to-start-my-novel-from-scratch-on-novemb

I'm doing it this year, wonder if I can hold to my convictions?

I'm writing alien sex pets save the galaxy. :p

This year, I am writing a novel based on the immediate reaction I had to a prom picture my sister found while cleaning out our late mother's house.

I have found out about nano just in time it seems. Luckily i have had a book idea i have been waiting to write for the last few months... So it is meant to be!

Thanks for the heads up :)

ok so i looked it up, found out what it was, got my book idea down.. made a cover from my own photo... whats next...

wait for midnight!

I can't use my original idea because I've already written 3,000 words of it. So I'm either going to be a Rebel (memoir) or come up with a new idea in the next 90 minutes....

I can't use my original idea because I've already written 3,000 words of it. So I'm either going to be a Rebel (memoir) or come up with a new idea in the next 90 minutes....

I'd written some of mine as well, but I'm going to rebel and write it anyway.

I've also written a little of mine, already. I'll just aim for the 50,000 words over my few I already have written. I know that's a little against the rules, but it's worth it to get this idea written down. I'm excited to start tomorrow! :)

I just wish I felt a little bit better ... :(

I know I need to get started, but at the moment energy and motivation are hard to come by... so I just need to do it. But unfortunately other things need doing as well, or first.

ETA: Well I checked and logged in. That's a start.

Last edited:
I started with 300 words already written. Last night 12:15 AM I thought I would just.. jot down some notes. I woke up and kept writing...

2,012 words this morning!

For the first time ever, I wrote an outline!

2,437 words this afternoon after work. I have time to go eat lunch out!!

1,800 words.

I need to do more than that in a day when I haven't got grandchildren. :rolleyes:

I've been gone all day. And because I don't have a limo and driver, I slept last night so I was safe to drive (this is the first year I didn't stay up all night writing). So as soon as I have the groceries put away, and take care of the mail, and change into something more comfortable . . . then I'll write.

I know I need to get started, but at the moment energy and motivation are hard to come by... so I just need to do it. But unfortunately other things need doing as well, or first.

ETA: Well I checked and logged in. That's a start.

This is me as well, It seems my boring life has taken a turn for the un-boring lately just in time to mess with my Nano plans.

Still I plan to do it as best I can with an anthology as sorts, several short stories around a central theme, in an effort to make the deadlines for all the things i want to write for.

Also I am going to try and follow the reverse Nano schedule or something like it.
http://crazedmom.com/reverse-nanowrimo

Good luck everyone!

Eek! I have not had one moment to sit and write today! And I have plans tonight. I think I will be getting my start very late tonight for an hour or so.

Eek! I have not had one moment to sit and write today! And I have plans tonight. I think I will be getting my start very late tonight for an hour or so.

Next week my husband has to go away for business. I'm hoping to take advantage of that time alone to write. But of course the kids are off school Monday and Tuesday...

For the first time ever, I have NO excuses not to do NaNo, so... I'm doing it!

Slow start today (691 words) but I'll be making up for it on the days my son goes to school.

Good luck to us all!

P.S. I don't outline. I ran across this article the other day, and for the first time ever I don't feel like a freak for failing to outline. :D Just thought I'd toss that out there in case there are any others like me. :)

in the six years I've been doing nano. Ive been a pantser. ive won three times. This year. I did a basic outline and it's helped alot. Don't feel discouraged at all whether your pantsing or plotting You're WRITING. and that's the whole point, right?

Morning of day three and I'm right on schedule . . . sort of. :rolleyes:

Morning of day three and I'm right on schedule . . . sort of. :rolleyes:

Good for you. :)

That's ahead of me, by a long shot, although I remembered I had two or three story ideas I could use it for. At least I'll have something I can start on even if I'm not sure when I can start.

And I think at this point, FAWC is a no-go for me, unfortunately.

Back