Which is your longest story?

For Lit:
  • Longest standalone story is D Cup Blues Again (70,230 words, 20 Lit pages). I didn't set out to make it the longest one, I just got to know the characters so well and there was a lot to add as the story progressed. Of course, it was the sequel to D Cup Blues, which some of the commenters said felt unfinished. With the pair of them clocking in at about 100,000 words, no one has complained that the tale is too short now. :)
  • Counting series as a single story each, my educated guess is that the Elizabeth series is the champ, with almost 218,000 words (and 1,039 Word pages) across ten stories. But that was truly a labor of love, and I still get tempted occasionally to write another instalment.
But my as-yet unpublished novel puts them all to shame at about 400,000 words, which is probably at least part of the reason why it's unpublished - a lot of agents won't touch anything that long coming from a new author. But one of these days...

My two series, Red Scarf and Stringed Instrument, are both pretty close to 100k words. I haven't checked which one is longer.

My Smoking Hot series is 110k words in 14 chapters, some quite short. Educating Laura is only 7 chapters but just as long already, and is partly a prequel. The characters are taking over and creating their own universe, so there's probably 300k words of them on Lit in total.

My longest standalone is 8 pages, about 24,000 words. It's a sweet First Time story, but sort of three first times in one: Third Time Getting Lucky.

My longest story, submitted in 20 chapters contains 176,800 words and fills 59 pages on Lit. (I have four other multi-part stories around 100K words.)

My longest single submission story contains 108,800 words and fills 31 pages on Lit.

When We Were Young comes in at 75,604 words, according to MS Word. Funny thing is, before I checked, I didn't consider it my longest story. i.e., off the top of my head, I'd never have picked it as my longest. I've just finished a mature draft of a story that is 58,589 words, and I thought that would be my longest when I eventually submit it for publishing.

My longest one shot story here is The Return of Molly Minx

29 Lit pages because it was a contest entry and had to be a stand alone.

Not too shabby. I see most everyone else writes short stories. rotflmao. Okay, not really, there's some long chapter series....

My longest one shot is "White Wedding" at 30 Lit pages

As for chapter series, "Jeong Park" is up to 240k words right now, and it's probably about half done.

Gee, let's see...

Single shot at 91,900 words is Suzie, My Life as a Nymphomaniac

Multi-chapter story has to be Warrior One - Fleet Action at around 200,000 words.

Most of my stories are over 10,000 words although I do have a number of shorter ones. The very first story I ever wrote to post here at Lit was Walker Brigade - Book of Incidents which now stands at 88,000 words. (This is after it was modified to shorten it down from it's original 110,000 words.)

And I almost forgot this one... The Du Page Affair another of my firsts here at Lit. At 17 chapters for about 70,000 words.

ETA: And how could I forget my Brotherhood of Janus series at over 230,000 words.

Last edited:
My longest is my "Lifestyle" series posted in ten parts (11 chapters ... so far) at over 76,000 words. The chapters became more verbose as I learned a little more about writing, with chapter 10 of 11 (Lifestyle Ch 10: House Parties cont.) at 12,500.

The longest standalone story (although most of my chapters might stand alone) is "The User Guide - a Geek Pride Story" at 15,100. The one I plan to submit in October author challenge "Amorous Goods: The Anklet Pair" is currently at 15,900.

All the above posts seem to prove that those in the AH can write, and write, and keep on writing...

Well done!

It's not published here, but my Second chance series is 20 chapters of ~55K words per chapter. I'm working on 21.

My first new story in decades here on Lit already has three chapters posted at 15, 27 and 24 pages respectively. The already written fourth chapter will be about 22 pages? How many total chapters? Still figuring that one out!

It's the much reworked and reimagined world building effort from my other site. Spread out over three novels and a prequel, that version ended up being being about 1.4 million words and took about 57 chapters to release. It was never fully completed though, because the first book was too rough to publish in the 'real world', which has changed a lot since I started writing.

The other site owner had trouble posting the conclusion of the second book. Over and over it kept failing for some unknown reason. Weeks and weeks went by. Finally he got the real techs on it and found out that there WAS indeed a hard limit for submission word counts! For the entire long history of the website, NO ONE had ever tried to push the limit so hard! Just me!

His solution was to just roughly 'chop' that last chapter into "21A" and "21B" and hope for the best! It worked, but it made for an odd breakpoint which I didn't care for. In the end, I was just so relieved it all got posted on time.

- - - -

I find reading the earliest chapters of it, posted here on Lit in 2007, to be a bit disconcerting, as they are often so much better and worse at the same time. Getting the balance right for the retelling attempt was difficult.

As Pete Townshend said, creatively it can be hard to 'start all over and make it seem new again', especially with knowing some of the endings for the major characters in advance.

That wrinkle has become sort of a challenge to me, and why I have picked up the old story, one more time.

- - - -

I never intended to write an erotic novel that large. It was just supposed to be foolish free practice, for a trilogy in my favorite genre. Yet, somehow, I still got hooked on the characters and their stories, and kept moving on with trying to get better as a writer.

Not sure how I actually did at that though!

I do have an actual real ending for the first book of the 'new' trilogy here on Lit, so at least this time I have a finish line to try and cross! That's new for me too!

It's taking me a while to get used to having such an odd thing, that so many other writers never have to deal with having missing on their own projects!

TheRescuer / Sextified

- - - - -

Actual Quote from Psychoderlict, "Meher Baba M3"

"I've been completely degraded by chasing publicity. Degraded! Yeah, I'll never go back. I know too much, I know how it's done. I can't discover it all over again, make it seem new."

Last edited:
The longest story across my declared accounts was sr71plt's "Wolf Creek," that went to 21 chapters at Literotica. The marketplace version is significantly longer than that (expanded and incorporating "The Photograph" from the sr71plt file). An even more expanded version of that is soon to be rereleased (change in publisher) in the marketplace as Raven Possession.

The longest in the KeithD account is "Floating World Bitten Peach," at 11 chapters.

Back