Millie's terrible day thread. You can post any and of your disappoints for the day, week, month, year, or your life.

Well, I might as well add to the woes. Lately Bec has become horribly emotional. Any small thing either sends her into a rage, or a crying heap. I've been walking on very thin eggshells, wondering what each minute will bring, and coupled with being three staff members down and training a new starter hasn't improved my temperament.

So, why? We thought she had gone through menopause about ten years ago. Wrong. That was something completely different - probably undiagnosed endometriosis. She's now going through it, and a battery of tests are in her future. HRT isn't due to her family's medical history but her physiotherapist/acupuncturist has given Bec some normal and alternative options.

I don't care what she tries. I'm so very tired of second guessing every word I say or don't say, and trying not to be offended when I get accused of all sorts of things.

I'm with you there, Russ. C said yesterday, correctly, "Is there any conversation we can have about anything that doesn't end in a fight?"

There are two big topics that are problems - dog care, and technology. She frequently has bizarre "demands" about how to prepare the dog's food or "reading" his needs at any given time. Whatever I do there, it's wrong. I play along most of the time, but some of the crap she comes up with is "where did that come from?" And even this morning she started his food ritual, handing it off to me after putting all the accoutrements in different places, eliciting a scavenger hunt. WTF?

Then there's technology. She refuses to understand that web pages are all different, have different things in different places, and wants me to write a "recipe card" for a step-by-step. Getting her to understand that ▶︎ means "play"... my God, I've been trying to teach her that for 25 years. It is not retained. "Why doesn't it just say "Play", she says.

There is a dim light at the end of the tunnel on tech. She was all over me about doing a "recipe card" for a favorite show on our Roku TV a week ago. Guess what? They completely changed the access layout in the days since. I pointed that out to her and there was a glimmer of acceptance that "her way" doesn't work any more. But that will pass. It always does.

There is an "Agency on Aging" in our community. They are primarily housing support and "Meals on Wheels," those kind of basic issues. I need to contact them about considering assistance for tech-illiterate seniors (C is 76). I can't do it any more.

At the parental units house today. Trying to help with a new challenge in there life. Discovering their hybrid didn't have a spare tire has thrown them for a loop. The mechanic he uses has come out, jacked up the car, taken the offending wheel and tire to put a new one on. But they are wanting 4 new tries, so that has slowed it down. I'm here only for moral support, but Mum hates Dad's car, so I'm kind of the referee here. Not my favorite thing, I use Donnie as the peace maker when the brouhaha flares back, saying, "Oh, look at Donnie and the cat." Or some other such comment about their favorite grandchild (well in OK at least).

Currently wishing my body would realise I've hit 50 and do a menopause, though all my friends say be careful what you wish for. But it's gotta happen eventually, right? And with luck I know enough about emotions and regulation to avoid the worst of the full-on psychosis my mum had (and there's some better drugs now). She turned quite human after the 10 years of madness.

She's adding to her list of chronic and annoying but not technically dangerous medical conditions, in as much as any new medical problems can be not serious at 84. The steroids she's had to go back to have protected her from some of the others, so silver linings.

I’ve had things go wrong in my life: job loss, marital woes, health problems with parents and children, and more. But I have a hard time truly understanding why so many people seem to be so deeply angry. It scares me. I’ve heard all the standard explanations and I also have a fair amount of historical knowledge. The general anger level seems way out of proportion to any attributable cause.

Currently wishing my body would realise I've hit 50 and do a menopause, though all my friends say be careful what you wish for. But it's gotta happen eventually, right? And with luck I know enough about emotions and regulation to avoid the worst of the full-on psychosis my mum had (and there's some better drugs now). She turned quite human after the 10 years of madness.

She's adding to her list of chronic and annoying but not technically dangerous medical conditions, in as much as any new medical problems can be not serious at 84. The steroids she's had to go back to have protected her from some of the others, so silver linings.
I'll echo your friends. Knowing and going are two completely different things.

OMFG complaint of the day: I have no sense of smell or taste, my ears are so clogged I am mostly deaf, eyes are crusty and itchy, and there's a sticky film that makes it hard to focus. I blow bloody crap out of both nostrils, and once a coughing fit starts... I'll get back to you.

Fuck.

Today is the first day of spring allergy season. Doc says to not start the new meds until tomorrow because the side-effects of what I was taking over the weekend need to clear first. I found that out on Saturday, when two different meds overlapped and I was a loopy basket case as a result. Next time, "Read the fuckin' interactions instructions."

I'm going to be a barrel of fun for the next couple of days.

You guys doin' okay?

'Scuse me while I run to the bathroom to wash out my eyes... again.

I'll echo your friends. Knowing and going are two completely different things.
True, but if I've got to do it at some point, might as well get started, and stop having to deal with cleaning blood off bathroom walls each month, not to mention menstrual diarrhoea...

Well, I might as well add to the woes. Lately Bec has become horribly emotional. Any small thing either sends her into a rage, or a crying heap. I've been walking on very thin eggshells, wondering what each minute will bring, and coupled with being three staff members down and training a new starter hasn't improved my temperament.

So, why? We thought she had gone through menopause about ten years ago. Wrong. That was something completely different - probably undiagnosed endometriosis. She's now going through it, and a battery of tests are in her future. HRT isn't due to her family's medical history but her physiotherapist/acupuncturist has given Bec some normal and alternative options.

I don't care what she tries. I'm so very tired of second guessing every word I say or don't say, and trying not to be offended when I get accused of all sorts of things.
🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂

Emily

What allergies cause your eyes to get crusty???

Various molds associated with dust, and certain very fine pollens like the one associated with ragweed. We've closed off one bedroom and set a HEPA air purifier in there to clear the room, and it seems to help. Started the new med this evening and at the moment things are calming down. Ear inflammation is abating and I can converse with C as long as I remind her she can't mumble. Eyes are still swollen and puffy.

The bowl of ice cream I just had was pleasant enough, but even with chocolate syrup I couldn't taste a thing. 😞

You know you're in trouble when the doctor walks into the room and the first words out of her mouth was "My God. You look awful!" It certainly shortened the conversation about what needed to happen.

Various molds associated with dust, and certain very fine pollens like the one associated with ragweed. We've closed off one bedroom and set a HEPA air purifier in there to clear the room, and it seems to help. Started the new med this evening and at the moment things are calming down. Ear inflammation is abating and I can converse with C as long as I remind her she can't mumble. Eyes are still swollen and puffy.

The bowl of ice cream I just had was pleasant enough, but even with chocolate syrup I couldn't taste a thing. 😞

You know you're in trouble when the doctor walks into the room and the first words out of her mouth was "My God. You look awful!" It certainly shortened the conversation about what needed to happen.
I hope you start getting some relief sooner rather than later.
I know that allergies kick my ass late starting around late March for that first few weeks.
It had me curious is all.
I've never had my eyes crusted over.

A 'government plan' might work well in Parliament, but it don't go well in public.
The blokes who turned up the other day to install a new CH boiler for me have made a real mess of the job. What makes it worse is the lack of contact on the phone number I was given.

Ah well. . . .

Good luck with your Dad, Millie. That's got to be tough.

HP, do you have any heat at all?

Latest report on the Xtreme Allergies front is smell and taste are gradually returning, and I'm actually breathing through a un-stuffy nose. Eyes are still painfully itchy and swollen but less crusty, hearing remains suboptimal, and any attempt at reclining results in coughing fits. It all reminds me of a family joke, "Does your face hurt?" which I would have to truthfully answer, "Yes, it sure does!" That certainly would disarm the punch line.

Still haven't nailed down the source of the allergy attack, but my wife has been madly running through the house with dusting tools, and I was able to muster the energy to run the carpet shampooer in the living room. We're really having to shotgun this thing.

The bath felt so good! Progress on symptoms has slowed. Eyes are still swollen and itchy, but C has guided me with her dry-eye remedies and I'm getting some relief. Hearing is still sketchy but improving. Sense of smell? Way too acute now. I'm smelling things around the house I don't wanna.

New fun stuff today? Spontaneous nosebleeds. Always a hallmark of spring for me. Problem these days is the blood thinner I'm on due to the stent two years ago makes it really hard to stop the flow. I felt something coming on sitting at the computer here and if I hadn't pushed back as fast as I did, I'd be cleaning blood out of the keyboard.

But wait! There's more! C is at the hospital this very moment, in post-op recovery from foot surgery. The dog and I are standing by for the call to come pick her up. The surgery is a good thing, as she's been putting up with a troublesome bunion for... gosh... two decades. What changed was a change in her GP, who insisted that it was past time to get it fixed. She'll be grumpily hobbling about with a boot for the next 5-6 weeks, but our summer hikes in nature should be even more pleasant this year without her dealing with the annoyance.

I've lost half a day's work because the file I was working in developed some strange error. Not a disaster in the scheme of things, but very annoying, seeing as I'm already working 65-70 hours a week.

Counting down to going on holiday after Easter, though...

Wow! First good night's sleep in a week! No sinuses so stuffy I can't breath, no 10-minute coughing fits, no sudden bloody nose, eyes aren't totally miserable, and I can hear well enough to turn on the usual ambient music and enjoy it!

C is doing surprisingly well after her foot surgery yesterday. She's not fond of having to wear the boot in bed, but the nurse (and I) explained why it was necessary, so she's OK with that. Still having some difficulty hobbling around for necessities like her tea and of course the bathroom, but she's not asking for help with everything, which is a bit of a surprise. Only one dose so far of the pain meds, too, and she slept well last night, too.

Dog is complaining that it's time for his breakfast. I keep telling him "too early", that he (at the moment) has another 20 minutes before getting his appetizer. Isn't stopping the complaining. ;)

Back