Luna's Faces, Characters and Ideas

I am drawn to things I can share with my children and grandchildren. The joy of diversity in all of its awesomeness is that there are more chances to introduce these stories and movies to my family and allow them to SEE/READ/KNOW that they are represented in the world at large. It's why Afrofuturism is such a big thing to me. I was a die-hard cyber/splatter punk reader and finally being gifted an entire genre where the people-the protagonists- were like me was amazing.

Representation really matters when you've never really had it until recently.
Representation is important, and does definitely matter. I just hope Hollywood figures out that it's about more than tokenization, race-swaps, gender-swaps, and orientation-swaps, etc... because that's just insulting to everyone and everything involved.

Take The Little Mermaid for example. If they are going to go as far as change the entire finale and have Ariel somehow know how to steer a ship, why not just change her name and change the name of the movie and make a whole new story instead of trying to cash in on the name recognition and piss off the fans even more with another remake? You get to have your own story and creative freedom. You don't have any race-swap controversy or movie remake controversy. I mean what is the downside?

Representation is important, and does definitely matter. I just hope Hollywood figures out that it's about more than tokenization, race-swaps, gender-swaps, and orientation-swaps, etc... because that's just insulting to everyone and everything involved.

Take The Little Mermaid for example. If they are going to go as far as change the entire finale and have Ariel somehow know how to steer a ship, why not just change her name and change the name of the movie and make a whole new story instead of trying to cash in on the name recognition and piss off the fans even more with another remake? You get to have your own story and creative freedom. You don't have any race-swap controversy or movie remake controversy. I mean what is the downside?
See, I never really understood why Ariel HAD to be Caucasian in the original Disney film. It pissed me off when they made the Frog Prince and gave us a Black Princess and THEN surrounded it with fake voodoo (I would know fake. I studied and practiced a shamanistic form of voodoo for decades before finally adding things from the rest of my ethnic background to round out my beliefs)

Ariel's story (to me) did not require specific colors or ethnicities. What it did require and what the updated version of that story gave to us was a 21st-century take on actualization with more representation for everyone, including black folx. My granddaughter was excited to see an Ariel that looked like her and I was happy to watch a movie where the women were more than just decorative set pieces and where a father did more than just react like a bully constantly.

Why anyone at all would be upset over the ethnicity of a make-believe character I will never understand. It makes more sense to me when it's a comic book character. Ethnicity swapping them is silly and loses the connection for some people but updating a cartoon? There should not be any controversy about that, in my opinion. Especially when my grand daughter saw Halle Bailey on the screen and said "Nana, she looks like ME."

Say what you want but that made it special to me...and her.

She was prolly only white in the OG film because of when the OG film was made. So then the only reason people expected her to be white in the remake again was because it was a remake. They kept the title the same and the title character the same to cash in on the name recognition. If they had changed either the title or her name then there likely would have been less controversy. Ariel had sisters after all, and the sea and ocean is a big damn place! I also mentioned before about them changing the finale. Would it have been that hard for them to get a writer or two to write an original story too to go with the beautiful actress and singer they had for the role?

She was prolly only white in the OG film because of when the OG film was made. So then the only reason people expected her to be white in the remake again was because it was a remake. They kept the title the same and the title character the same to cash in on the name recognition. If they had changed either the title or her name then there likely would have been less controversy. Ariel had sisters after all, and the sea and ocean is a big damn place! I also mentioned before about them changing the finale. Would it have been that hard for them to get a writer or two to write an original story too to go with the beautiful actress and singer they had for the role?
I also agree with this premise, BTW. I was just trying to explain why the update worked out for me and my family, NOT that it wouldn't have been just as amazing using a different character/story.

Yup, I'm just also trying to think of a case that I want my angel to be able to help sort of be able to solve or know the person is innocent of and take the lawyer maybe a bit out of his element before taking him back to the courthouse to work through the night. It feels like it shouldn't be murder, because a public defender prolly wouldn't get a murder case, right? I know this prolly isn't the place for it, but this is where you asked, lol.

Yup, I'm just also trying to think of a case that I want my angel to be able to help sort of be able to solve or know the person is innocent of and take the lawyer maybe a bit out of his element before taking him back to the courthouse to work through the night. It feels like it shouldn't be murder, because a public defender prolly wouldn't get a murder case, right? I know this prolly isn't the place for it, but this is where you asked, lol.
If the public defender thought the person was likely being railroaded or INNOCENT of that particular charge, they could pick up a murder case. OR if your guy donates hours toward pro bono work (which is what I would have done in that case) then he'd be even MORE pious and an even better fit for Gadiel.

Oh, sweet mercy!

Luna as a grandma. I mean, I know it was bound to happen sooner or later but I just can't see it. How time flies. I guess, I still see your kids as they were back when we all were running through these halls together.

Oh, sweet mercy!

Luna as a grandma. I mean, I know it was bound to happen sooner or later but I just can't see it. How time flies. I guess, I still see your kids as they were back when we all were running through these halls together.
I am Nana to three (one just born two days ago) with a fourth on the way. All girls, all multi-ethnic...all amazing. BUt yeah, my curls show my age way too much now, sweetest Warrioress.

I loved the new little mermaid. It was weird that she did know how to steer a ship, I admit but they needed to give her something to save herself instead of the handsome prince saving her. I liked it though because it gave Eric more of a purpose other than being a pretty face. The reason they fell in love had less to do with looks and more to the fact that they had things in common. It was also nice having representation. The way they explained it even made sense. My only issue was Under the Sea is supposed to be a “party song.” and it didn’t feel that way.

*steps off soapbox*

Last edited:
I am Nana to three (one just born two days ago) with a fourth on the way. All girls, all multi-ethnic...all amazing. BUt yeah, my curls show my age way too much now, sweetest Warrioress.
Oh my Sweetness! Congrats on the new granddaughter. Beauty, you should see my hair. LOL. And I *know* you are younger than I am. Hehehe. I just started letting my hair grow out and my next door neighbor just complimented me on it. I kinda am digging it.

I feel like at 50 years old, I should NOT be shocked by the silver. I am just far too tired to worry about hair dye!!

I feel like at 50 years old, I should NOT be shocked by the silver. I am just far too tired to worry about hair dye!!
*giggles* I stopped dying my hair about a year ago. I said, "Screw it! I want to see what my natural hair color looks like now." *shrug* It grew on me. The silver is nothing more than Wisdom highlights, Beauty.

Back