LOTR... Sex, sexual innuedos, and romance

I love Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and Silmarillion. I have read and reread them all many times over since I was 8 years old.

I know, you all love it too. Right? Right. If not, your fucking loss- go watch the fishing channel.

In this thread, what do you perceive as sexual, about sex, or romantical in these works. Explain why.
The story of Andreth and Aegnor is one of the most beautiful and romantic stories for me.
Of course, the most famous are Beren and Lúthien, and it's indeed a great love story. But they at least got reunited in the end. What I love about Andreth and Aegnor is the fact that this is the only instance where an Elf man (Aegnor) and a Human woman (Andreth) fell in love, with poignant circumstances and results.

They were deeply in love. But their feelings never progressed to an official relationship and they remained unwed and childless, because at this time the war with Morgoth was in full swing. Aegnor was bound by his duty to his people and he feared to see Andreth wither and die eventually.

'Andreth adaneth, the life and love of the Eldar dwells much in memory; and we (if not ye) would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end. Now he will ever remember thee in the sun of morning, and that last evening by the water of Aeluin in which he saw thy face mirrored with a star caught in thy hair - ever, until the North-wind brings the night of his flame. Yea, and after that, sitting in the House of Mandos in the Halls of Awaiting until the end of Arda.'

The conversation between Finrod and Andreth (Athrabeth finrod ah andreth) is one of the most fascinating reads about the relationship between elves and men, and the metaphysical implications in their differences.

When Aegnor was killed during the siege in Dagor Bragollach, Andreth was a very old woman. It was said that the moment Aegnor got killed, Andreth died in her sleep as well.

'But you are not for Arda. Whither you go may you find light.
Await us there, my brother - and me.'

Some of Tolkien's notes also said that Aegnor refused to leave the Halls of Mandos (even when he'd already paid his dues and it was time for his reincarnation) because he didn't want to go back to a world without Andreth in it (we don't know where the souls of Men go).

Ghaaa! It's heart-wrenching story, and I shed a tear or two every time I read it. :cry::heart:
Sorry, @Mrtenant . You've got an essay. lol

The story of Andreth and Aegnor is one of the most beautiful and romantic stories for me.
Of course, the most famous are Beren and Lúthien, and it's indeed a great love story. But they at least got reunited in the end. What I love about Andreth and Aegnor is the fact that this is the only instance where an Elf man (Aegnor) and a Human woman (Andreth) fell in love, with poignant circumstances and results.

They were deeply in love. But their feelings never progressed to an official relationship and they remained unwed and childless, because at this time the war with Morgoth was in full swing. Aegnor was bound by his duty to his people and he feared to see Andreth wither and die eventually.

'Andreth adaneth, the life and love of the Eldar dwells much in memory; and we (if not ye) would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end. Now he will ever remember thee in the sun of morning, and that last evening by the water of Aeluin in which he saw thy face mirrored with a star caught in thy hair - ever, until the North-wind brings the night of his flame. Yea, and after that, sitting in the House of Mandos in the Halls of Awaiting until the end of Arda.'

The conversation between Finrod and Andreth (Athrabeth finrod ah andreth) is one of the most fascinating reads about the relationship between elves and men, and the metaphysical implications in their differences.

When Aegnor was killed during the siege in Dagor Bragollach, Andreth was a very old woman. It was said that the moment Aegnor got killed, Andreth died in her sleep as well.

'But you are not for Arda. Whither you go may you find light.
Await us there, my brother - and me.'

Some of Tolkien's notes also said that Aegnor refused to leave the Halls of Mandos (even when he'd already paid his dues and it was time for his reincarnation) because he didn't want to go back to a world without Andreth in it (we don't know where the souls of Men go).

Ghaaa! It's heart-wrenching story, and I shed a tear or two every time I read it. :cry::heart:
Sorry, @Mrtenant . You've got an essay. lol
I have to say, that is an outstanding essay. Thank you for the time, thought, and effort you put into this. You made it fun and readable which I appreciate.

For all intents and purposes, it would seem that if they, Aegnor and Andreth, were not formally married, they were most definitely soul mates- a bond that reaches beyond our cultural ideas of formal marriage, their cultural ideas of formal marriage, and even death itself.

Which brings forth the whole theme of 'what is love'. It is one thing for us to say what it is, or it is not, and try to describe it in some sort of quantified manner. I think Tolkien was certainly much wiser than many of us in how his story gave a far better definition of love. Indeed, it is a constant theme throughout Tolkien's tales.

Well done. 😊

I wonder if Eowyn still carries a torch for Aragorn. I mean, she married Faramir, but still, does she send Aragorn nudes from time to time?

Ok! Really?!! Eowyn is smitten and owes Pippin! Look at their Chemistry!
This cuts out before she puts him in front of her on her horse. Or? Did I imagine that?

Pippin in turn can’t live without Merry, so the happy threesome meats often! Granted job it’s are small but are quite girthy down under.

Eowyn loves to have both their wee daggers to enjoy, but will often wield her own sword to enable more exotic 3way fun.

The Shire is like a second home to her

Merry and Pippin are often off to visit Treebeard for slow “conversations”

Last edited:
So! We ignore the elephant actually in the room?

KILI & TAURIEL* A Love that was Real- The Hobbit​

Dwarf-Elf

Dwarf magnetism!! Just look at the toys they keep hidden.

Do they switch??

I guess all that needs to be said has been posted.
New material to watch soon in a series on TV. Not sure if it will match the movies.
I have to worry about how some of you will enjoy the new material.
Dwarf dildos? Really!!

It barely resembles what was written so I have very low expectations.

I guess all that needs to be said has been posted.
New material to watch soon in a series on TV. Not sure if it will match the movies.
I have to worry about how some of you will enjoy the new material.
Dwarf dildos? Really!!
There has got to be some sexy insight or twist from all of those books you can come up with.... give it a whirl
It barely resembles what was written so I have very low expectations.
It is a rare movie/tv whatever that resembles well the original book. I don't expect a work in an entirely different medium to match the ideas/visions in my head. They are different. I try to judge it on its own merits... is it a successful work as a stand alone effort? I'm willing to engage in compare/contrast or indicate the places I would have made different choices... but those conversations are of limited interest to me.

I would usually agree with you. I’m the person who often says,”it’s an adaptation, judge it on its own merits.”

I just happen to like this story a lot the way it was written. So with what I seen of the massive changes that were made, I have low expectations that I’ll like it. Hopefully everyone else will be tickled shitless with joy.

I would usually agree with you. I’m the person who often says,”it’s an adaptation, judge it on its own merits.”

I just happen to like this story a lot the way it was written. So with what I seen of the massive changes that were made, I have low expectations that I’ll like it. Hopefully everyone else will be tickled shitless with joy.
Meh, it will be another video artistry that grabs people's attention for awhile. I expect it will be decent enough.

Purists will always squawk about such things. In the end they will have done their job. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be some bullshit like what hollywood did to Star Wars.

So did Gimli and Legolas realize their gay attraction for each other? Legolas wouldn't have to get the dwarf dildo, he can have the real thing. Do they trade off being top and bottom? What does that even look like?

Wait wait..... Hollywood ruined "Star Wars" ???
There was a book before the first movie??
"Obi Wan" was the best spin off since, well a lot of them AND "Star Wars 2 and 3"
"Star Wars 4 and 5" did NOT lean over to try to create characters for little folks.

BACK to LOTRs ...
This new series has books behind it or it's all new??
"Rings of Power" on Amazon? There's a trailer out now. NOT WATCHING IT.
"The new 'Lord of the Rings' trailer stars Sauron, orcs and a balrog" Sounds good to me!
Just take me back to middle Earth.
Perhaps with a cute lady elf or two.

Speaking of Elves, what the hell was Elrond doing while the 9 Walkers went on a quest to save the world? Dude has a ring of power, experienced warrior, and has some magic about him. He was descended from a Maia? Anyone? Couldn't even lend them some horses? Wtf Elrond? Bet he had a side piece or two and was 'busy'.

Samwise Gamgee married Rosie Cotton after the War of the Ring and together they had 14 children. 14.

Anyone got anything on that?
Do we know that she didn't simply just push out a litter of 14 all at once?

I wonder if Eowyn still carries a torch for Aragorn. I mean, she married Faramir, but still, does she send Aragorn nudes from time to time? Try to sneak off when there are state functions? She had that look when she looks at him. She totally proved herself worthy, I mean, she could claim she is owed a good dicking down by the king. Maybe she's willing to join Arwen in serving the king? Thoughts?
An age old story. Arranged marriage for duty, or love match for booty : )
Except Eowyn and Faramir fell deeply in love when they were recovering from their wounds. Theirs is a true love story, not an arranged marriage.

The movie doesn't show it, but the book does.

Lets get drunk on ent wine and see if it makes our peckers grow. Maybe its time for the orc gangbang on lonely mountain.

I've been a big LOTR fan since the 1970s, but I never found it romantic or sexy. Too chaste and stuffy. Nobody ever gives anybody a smoldering look, or at least a look that is described as such. There's not a trace of real lust in the whole thing. I suppose the closest is the way Eowyn looks at Aragorn, but even that's pretty tepid stuff. There are romances that are discussed in the notes at the end, but they are recounted as history rather than as a romantic narrative.
Nevertheless, LOTR inspired me to write a fanfiction story, One Night In Mordor, in which a female elf comes to Frodo's aid and gives him a very, ah, unusual treatment, leading to a three-way.

Back