If Gender can Be Changed Why Not race?

The "they/them/their" is used in the singular form when you don't know the gender of the person to whom you're referring.
The singular they/them/their is used to refer to an individual in a gender neutral manner, not just when their gender is unknown. It is appropriate English usage.

Otherwise, it is plural.
No, it is plural when it is referring to multiple individuals. Which is clearly not the case when referencing and individual.

Look, I support the LGBTQ community in virtually every way, from marriage equality on around the board. But I'm not going to change the way I was taught and have always used the English language to mollify a small minority of people. Call me old-fashioned, or call me conservative on that issue.
Nah, I'll just call you wrong.

You have never in your life used the singular they/them/their?
I know I haven't.
Why would you refuse to call someone by the the singular they/them/their if that is their preference?
Because their personal preference doesn't dictate how I speak or what words I use, regardless if they find it offensive or not.

If you think that's an unreasonable standard, then I suggest you read around the forums here and start cracking down on all the posters name calling and insulting others such as myself.

If you have the slightest objection to that, then don't sit there and pretend you're truly concerned about addressing others only in ways they don't find offensive.

The singular they/them/their is used to refer to an individual in a gender neutral manner, not just when their gender is unknown. It is appropriate English usage.

No, it is plural when it is referring to multiple individuals. Which is clearly not the case when referencing and individual.

Nah, I'll just call you wrong.
I give less than zero fucks what you call me. Maybe that's what makes me different from "them".

I know I haven't.
I seriously doubt that. You almost certainly use it and don't realize it.

Because their personal preference doesn't dictate how I speak or what words I use, regardless if they find it offensive or not.

If you think that's an unreasonable standard, then I suggest you read around the forums here and start cracking down on all the posters name calling and insulting others such as myself.

If you have the slightest objection to that, then don't sit there and pretend you're truly concerned about addressing others only in ways they don't find offensive.
My, my. Touchy little snowflake aren't we.

Insults and name calling are pretty de rigueur on an anonymous internet message board where you interacting with someone's online projection of themselves. Particularly so in a forum dedicated to politics.

Quite a bit different than a real life interaction with an actual person.

I am aware that some people are unable to differentiate between the two.

What do you call folks with an extra X or Y chromosome, who have the genitalia and physical characteristics of both sexes, or genders, in your book. The term for these individuals used to be hermaphrodites, now the term intersex is widely accepted. But I'm sure you would call one of these individuals either a man or a woman. And you would be pissed off if they didn't live by your categorization.
Godless heathens!

I personally think that the whole pronoun controversy has gotten out of hand "on both sides". I consider myself a progressive/liberal Democrat, but even I have limits on the accommodations I'm willing to make. If I meet a transwoman and she wants to be called "miss" or "her", I'm more than happy to call her that. I will not call someone a "they", unless "they" happen to be plural. But I find it disgusting that conservatives out there belligerently call people by pronouns they don't accept, is either a lame attempt at being an alpha male or just to be hurtful, which is, well, deplorable.
Most Conservatives don’t give it a thought. Maybe some zealous bible thumpers give a shit but most Americans don’t pay it no mind.

I'll be sure to remember this is your idea of a proper response for anyone who gets offended being addressed in a non preferred way.
You really are one of the most intellectually bankrupt posters on this forum.

That comment wasn't addressing you as an individual, it was a characterization of your prior post.

And you completely ignored the entire content of the post you were replying to try and score a gotcha point. Yay for you.

I reiterate, some people just can't tell the difference between the online world and the real world.

Last edited:
I know I haven't.

You just did! You just now used ‘their’ as a singular pronoun.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

JFC! You can’t make this shit up! You just provided a perfect example of how clueless (or illiterate) you are.

As you used it above ‘their’ is singular. If it was plural you would have needed to say ‘…preferences don’t…”

🤪

As you used it above ‘their’ is singular. If it was plural you would have needed to say ‘…preferences don’t…”
I'm not referring to any single individual or any individual of specified identity. Great fail on your part though. :ROFLMAO:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You used ‘they’ as singular in this post too:

Someone being right or wrong is not the determination by which you label someone a judge or waste time pointing out they aren't one.

You could avoid it most places by using ‘he/she’ or ‘him/her’ but you’re going to be hard pressed to avoid it all together. 😉

Chicago cop sues city for right to change his race after department allows officers to change genders​

By
Lawrence Richard , Fox News
Published Feb. 27, 2024, 2:56 p.m. ET

A Chicago police officer is suing the city to change his race on his official records after the department said it would allow officers to freely change their gender to match their identity.

Mohammad Yusuf, 43, said in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed last week that he is looking to change from “Caucasian” as he “currently identifies as Egyptian and African American.” However, the Chicago Police Department is not allowing him to change his race.

The lawsuit comes as the department allows an officer’s “gender identity [to be] corrected to match their lived experience,” Yusuf’s lawsuit alleges.

And, the decision is impacting Yusuf’s professional advancement, he claims.

More here on double standard: https://nypost.com/2024/02/27/us-ne...department-allows-officers-to-change-genders/

Hey, why not?
Gender is a social construct and is defined as follows: the male sex or the female sex, especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones, or one of a range of other identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.

That quote is making reference to a non specific and unidentified individual aside from the title of judge.

Nope. It’s referring to a single person, gender unknown.

“…which you label someone a judge or waste time pointing out they aren't one.”

It could be any one individual but linguistically it is a single individual.

Nope. It’s referring to a single person, gender unknown.

“…which you label someone a judge or waste time pointing out they aren't one.”

It could be any one individual but linguistically it is a single individual.
Yes, and your point is...?

Yes, and your point is...?

Really?

My point is that you, Mr TastySuckToy already use ‘they’ and ‘their’ as singular pronouns.

I pointed this out because you specifically said, “I know I haven't.”

If you are still denying that singular use of both of ‘they’ and ‘them’ is grammatically correct - and common, you are delusional.

Really?

My point is that you, Mr TastySuckToy already use ‘they’ and ‘their’ as singular pronouns.
When the identity of an individual is not specified and unknown, you're correct.
I pointed this out because you specifically said, “I know I haven't.”
I haven't used the term "they/them" when referring to an individual who's identity is known to me. For example, if the judge is male, I would refer to him as him/he, never "they/them".

When the identity of an individual is not specified and unknown, you're correct.

I haven't used the term "they/them" when referring to an individual who's identity is known to me. For example, if the judge is male, I would refer to him as him/he, never "they/them".

Do you claim full omnipotence in being able to identify every person’s gender? 🤣

Why is so important for you to have to sort everyone?

Why does someone else’s gender identity matter to you if you aren’t planning to copulate or reproduce with them?

You’re gonna have a problem if you ever come in front of a non-binary judge. 🤣

Do you claim full omnipotence in being able to identify every person’s gender? 🤣
Nope.
Why is so important for you to have to sort everyone?
It's not. I merely identify people as I see them.
Why does someone else’s gender identity matter to you if you aren’t planning to copulate or reproduce with them?
It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that other people do not dictate what my perception is.
You’re gonna have a problem if you ever come in front of a non-binary judge. 🤣
If you mean in a court setting, I can't think of a reason why I would address a judge as anything other than simply "Your honor".

Back