Free Association thread 6

Not necessarily in the UK. You could end up totally lost, and the same applies to three rights.

"Wheel Left" might leave you a few degrees off 90, but a left turn is 90 degrees, and three of them bring you around to 3 O'Clock - a right turn. Of course, it may be that none of you Brits are are sober enough to walk a straight (180 degree) line.:D

"Wheel Left" might leave you a few degrees off 90, but a left turn is 90 degrees, and three of them bring you around to 3 O'Clock - a right turn. Of course, it may be that none of you Brits are are sober enough to walk a straight (180 degree) line.:D

As Supertramp said: I'll take the long way home :)

Not necessarily in the UK. You could end up totally lost, and the same applies to three rights.

Ever hear that story about the driver who reckoned he could get to Edinburgh from Dorset and NOT make right turn ?

Note that many of our roads, cities and towns predate vehicles. 90 degree turns are not always possible and then we have roundabouts to confuse Americans:

1438697736-roundabout-swindon.jpg

We drove around this one (Colchester) several times this month:

1200px-Greenstead_Roundabout.svg.png

Last edited:
Note that many of our roads, cities and towns predate vehicles. 90 degree turns are not always possible and then we have roundabouts to confuse Americans:

With more than 10,000 vehicles an hour, the Hangar Lane Gyratory can be a bit of fun for nervous drivers. And it's a good place to practice for Hyde Park Corner. :)

1438697736-roundabout-swindon.jpg

We drove around this one (Colchester) several times this month:

1200px-Greenstead_Roundabout.svg.png

But you need nerves of steel to negotiate the Arc De Triomphe in Paris.

https://youtu.be/-2RCPpdmSVg

https://youtu.be/BliGIPQ_KHc

There are no left turns from a counter-clockwise roundabout, and no right turns from a clockwise one.

And I think roundabouts are fun to navigate, Paris included.

There are no left turns from a counter-clockwise roundabout, and no right turns from a clockwise one.

And I think roundabouts are fun to navigate, Paris included.

Even after driving in places like Boston, LA, Miami, Chicago, and Houston I still don't think I'd be brave enough to get behind the wheel in Paris.

And that's just based on the memory of being on a tour bus there almost fifty years ago. :eek:

Even after driving in places like Boston, LA, Miami, Chicago, and Houston I still don't think I'd be brave enough to get behind the wheel in Paris.

And that's just based on the memory of being on a tour bus there almost fifty years ago. :eek:

I would add Rome to the 'interesting' list. The first time that I drove there, my co-pilot, who had been living there for a year or so, told me: 'Just remember, in Rome, all traffic control signs are just a suggestion.' :D

I would add Rome to the 'interesting' list. The first time that I drove there, my co-pilot, who had been living there for a year or so, told me: 'Just remember, in Rome, all traffic control signs are just a suggestion.' :D

Will always says that in England, they drive on the right, in America they drive on the left, and in France, they drive in the shade...

I know parts of England which are like that; Wolverhampton comes to mind. . . .

Will always says that in England, they drive on the right, in America they drive on the left, and in France, they drive in the shade...

Lori, me dear, I think you've misquoted him. We drive on the left.
Foreigners drive on the right. . . . .

I know parts of England which are like that; Wolverhampton comes to mind. . . .

Lori, me dear, I think you've misquoted him. We drive on the left.
Foreigners drive on the right. . . . .

Yeah? If you drive on the left, how come the UK has come so far right? Is it just an ALTernative?

Back