:) :) :) Foodies And Wannabes :) :) :)

A rich yummy recipe for left over salmon :

Make a cream sauce of:

sauteed shallots (in a bit of butter)
and capers....(to your taste).
Break in the salmon, leaving it in nice size pieces.

deglaze the pan with white wine.

Add the herbs of your choice (I like tarragon...but dill or parsley would work also).

Add your cream (or half and half....or skim milk combined with a bit of fat free sour cream for thickness).

Add fresh (or frozen peas)...and warm these just thru (don't let them get mushy).

Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve this over fresh pasta.

:)

This would work great with chicken as well. I am gonna have to give it a shot. (with tarragon)

Salmon Patties

Use leftover salmon or if you have it, already canned. Drain moisture.

Mix in an egg, parmesan, and seasoning. Flatten into patty and coat with bread crumbs. Fry in a little bit of oil til crispy. Serve with a cocktail sauce or on toasted roll.

Salmon Ball

Flake salmon and mix in horsey sauce and cream cheese and seasoning. Form into ball and place into plastic wrap and put in fridge a few hours til set. Crush walnuts and minced green onions and mix together. Coat ball with it. Serve with crackers.

Sorry about no measurements...I just wing it.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good salmon recipes? I have made mine over and over to the point I'm tired of them. I need something new. Sadly salmon and catfish are about the only fish I can get. Some times tilapia.

Cedar plank salmon on the smoker. With good salmon, I just use kosher salt. I have made a mango goop to go with it. Mango, cilantro, fresh thyme, salt, garlic, olive oil.

I want to learn how to make my own charcuterie. But I want to raise my own animals to do it.

That I'd be bored enough to post here, why?
As someone that makes food for a living, you people make people think we're all spastic about this stuff. >_>

This reminds me of posts seen in bdsm threads where I-AM-DOM-HEAR-ME-ROAR types are all too certain that they are simply too dominant to explain to the rest of us how pedestrian our pursuits are.

Here's how I enjoy food...

Last night at about midnight having slept the day away because I'm changing from a series of night shift a series of day shifts...

I woke up with a vague idea that I would eat something reasonably healthy I pawed hrough the freezer and found some Maki Maki fillets that I bought an exorbitant price at the only grocery store available within 45 miles where I live. And yes it was frozen since I live and work at 4 to 6000 feet elevation in the high desert I'm about 1000 miles from the ocean.

I have never cook it before and it wasnt quite sure what to do so I threw a grill pan on the stove electric because I had some problems with the gas portion of my gas ovens stove so it's in the garage at the moment.

I had some sweet onion so I sliced up and threw it on the grill mostly because I like the smell of them cooking. I slightly defrosted the mahi mahi in the microwave while I sliced a lemon.

I threw the mighty mighty on the bed of onions and then sprayed it with Pam and foot that on to the grill to get some nice char marks. As it cooked I continue to squeeze the juice of a couple of lemons over at making a glorious acidic cloud of steam.

I removed it on the grill before it could toughen up not sure if it was quite done but I didn't want to over cook it.. this thing to register done to perfection but the inside wasnt quite done so I put it back in the microwave of all places on the defrost setting to just gently get it to flake..

All in all it was not a restaurant quality experience however cooking at my self made it worthwhile.. and it was probably better than say a chicken fried steak with prepackaged white gravy over it available at the local restaurant.

It's Thanksgiving here in a little over 2weeks and I hate cooking Turkey.
Does anyone have any good alternatives that they've tried?

This reminds me of posts seen in bdsm threads where I-AM-DOM-HEAR-ME-ROAR types are all too certain that they are simply too dominant to explain to the rest of us how pedestrian our pursuits are.

Here's how I enjoy food...

Last night at about midnight having slept the day away because I'm changing from a series of night shift a series of day shifts...

I woke up with a vague idea that I would eat something reasonably healthy I pawed hrough the freezer and found some Maki Maki fillets that I bought an exorbitant price at the only grocery store available within 45 miles where I live. And yes it was frozen since I live and work at 4 to 6000 feet elevation in the high desert I'm about 1000 miles from the ocean.

I have never cook it before and it wasnt quite sure what to do so I threw a grill pan on the stove electric because I had some problems with the gas portion of my gas ovens stove so it's in the garage at the moment.

I had some sweet onion so I sliced up and threw it on the grill mostly because I like the smell of them cooking. I slightly defrosted the mahi mahi in the microwave while I sliced a lemon.

I threw the mighty mighty on the bed of onions and then sprayed it with Pam and foot that on to the grill to get some nice char marks. As it cooked I continue to squeeze the juice of a couple of lemons over at making a glorious acidic cloud of steam.

I removed it on the grill before it could toughen up not sure if it was quite done but I didn't want to over cook it.. this thing to register done to perfection but the inside wasnt quite done so I put it back in the microwave of all places on the defrost setting to just gently get it to flake..

All in all it was not a restaurant quality experience however cooking at my self made it worthwhile.. and it was probably better than say a chicken fried steak with prepackaged white gravy over it available at the local restaurant.

This post made me smile. Sometimes when things don't turn out how you want, doesn't mean it still can't be good.

Last night I had blackened tuna. RARE, as it should be. I live 5 miles from the beach, but it sure didn't come from MY waters. It still was awesome...because I made it!

I want to learn how to make my own charcuterie. But I want to raise my own animals to do it.

YOWZA....that sounds like an adventure ;)

Heh....it doesn't sound too bad at all :) and yea...better than a frozen chicken fried steak fried in old grease and smothered with synthetic white gravy...for sure !

It's Thanksgiving here in a little over 2weeks and I hate cooking Turkey.
Does anyone have any good alternatives that they've tried?

I've done stuffed cornish hens....(stuffed with a cornbread/dried cranberry/nut and herb stuffing). Just count how many pax and make one for each...it's really easy and pretty to plate. (Make an extra or two which are great for leftovers and also in case someone shows up unexpected.) :)

This post made me smile. Sometimes when things don't turn out how you want, doesn't mean it still can't be good.

Last night I had blackened tuna. RARE, as it should be. I live 5 miles from the beach, but it sure didn't come from MY waters. It still was awesome...because I made it!

:D I had fried southern catfish waiting for me yesterday. I ate it with a spinach salad....YUM

Last edited:

I've done stuffed cornish hens....(stuffed with a cornbread/dried cranberry/nut and herb stuffing). Just count how many pax and make one for each...it's really easy and pretty to plate. (Make an extra or two which are great for leftovers and also in case someone shows up unexpected.) :)

:D I had fried southern catfish waiting for me yesterday. I ate it with a spinach salad....YUM

Since I usually cook just for three for Thanksgiving, I also go with the cornish gamehens. I love that we each get our own bird. No fighting over all that yummy crusty skin.

I had spinach salad too! Fresh from my garden. Just a couple more pickins left before it freezes.

Since I usually cook just for three for Thanksgiving, I also go the cornish gamehens also. I love that we each get our own bird. No fighting over all that yummy crusty skin.

I had spinach salad too! Fresh from my garden. Just a couple more pickins left before it freezes.

Brrrrr ;)

I WISH I had my own garden. I had one in Colorado and I grew asparagus (had been planted there since before I moved in), wild strawberries, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet peas, lettuce (I think it was Boston). The summers were so short tho that I only got one crop...I tried corn but they never had the chance to mature.

Here, I only grow things in pots...mint, strawberries, thai peppers, and habaneros right now.

Brrrrr ;)

I WISH I had my own garden. I had one in Colorado and I grew asparagus (had been planted there since before I moved in), wild strawberries, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet peas, lettuce (I think it was Boston). The summers were so short tho that I only got one crop...I tried corn but they never had the chance to mature.

Here, I only grow things in pots...mint, strawberries, thai peppers, and habaneros right now.

I'm jealous.
I can't wait until the spring and I can get started on a garden and pots here.

I'm going to look into Cornish hens. I don't think I've ever tried one before.
Thanks for the recipes and ideas!
;)

My family usually has a huge garden for sweet peas, tomatoes, beets, asparagus, and something else that we find fun. It isn't surprising though, since my family comes from farmers. I've helped my grandparents for 4 years running keep a garden of almost anything that grows in the midwest. It's intensely satisfying to see something you planted grow and then get to eat it. Tastes so much better than store bought stuff.

Brrrrr ;)

I'm jealous.
I can't wait until the spring and I can get started on a garden and pots here.

I'm going to look into Cornish hens. I don't think I've ever tried one before.
Thanks for the recipes and ideas!
;)

Game hens mostly taste just like chicken.

I have LONG days of light in the summer so I was able to grow spinach, lettuce, kale, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, cilantro, potatoes, carrots and an incredible array of flowers. My tomatoes, squash, brussel sprouts and cucumbers sucked balls.

There is something to be said about Homemade Tacos its just like yummy goodness with cheese on top .... I am so going there for dinner tonight

It wasn't fancy, but super easy and convenient for the busy among us with a slow cooker...

Peppered Beef
2 lbs of round tip (or similar cut)
Black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 can condensed French onion soup
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

Cut beef onto bite-sized portions and put in slow cooker
Add pepper to taste and minced garlic
Cover with soups
Cook on low 6 to 8 hours

Serve over rice or egg noodles

If you're ever in Miami (or the Caymans) you def need to check out Michael's Genuine for brunch or dinner.

Just had the most fabulous dinner there tonite: I shared with a friend:

starters :

kumomoto oysters (little oysters served raw on the half shell...briny at first with a buttery finish...served with a mignonette)

wood oven roasted double yolk farm egg (served topped with cave aged gruyere,
roasted tomato, chives and a sourdough crostini on the side)

Home made chips with home made warm onion dip

main:

duck confit....OMG !!!! The best I've EVER had !!! (served with peach preserves, spiced toasted pumpkin seeds and frisee)

Steamed mussels .... steamed in a wine reduction with house smoked bacon and grilled sourdough bread.

dessert :

Tangerine Creamsicle Pot de Creme served with little warm fresh made doughnuts and a tarragon blackberry jam

the Pie in a Jar of the day which was blackberry cream pie.

Everything was just so good !

(the dirty martinis rock too ;) )

:kiss:

I literally just made the world's largest three-egg omelette with cheese and bacon and a big stack of hashbrowns.
I think I'm done eating for a week.
So full!

Ha...I'm full too :D LOVE eggs and bacon AND hashbrowns :)

Breakfast is usually pretty simple for me ... yogurt and fruit.

But since my sweetie will be here next weekend, I'm sure I'll be eating more than I need to. He spoils me with made-from-scratch pancakes. He refuses to give up the recipe.

Thank I'm going to surprise him with Dutch Baby pancakes one morning ... big, fluffy and souffle-like. I put lemon rind in the batter. Hope I have time to whip up a raspberry compote for the topping.

Back