:) :) :) Foodies And Wannabes :) :) :)

:D
Hi Mina :kiss:

It came out great (even tho I left it in 7 minutes too long !!). Your half is in the freezer....now we just have to get you down south ;) or me up north !

Haha!
You're too sweet.
:kiss:
The south is appealing. Especially with winter coming.

The point to what Jabber ? This is a thread about food. Not about judging people and what they obsess about. I see you're a student.... maybe when you've completed your culinary schooling you'll realize that you can have all the skill and training in preparation you want....if you don't have a palette or a love for food it won't translate.

Bad title for the thread then, Foodies are like my pet peeve, I've seen too many enter the school not realizing all the hard work put into things. Honestly I'm done, I haven't updated my profile though. Having a palette doesn't matter, the simplest foods can be the best when prepared simply. Loving food is fine, I encourage that. I just don't like obsession... I don't judge them for liking food. Fact is a good omelette can outclass a roulade or cannoli.

Funniest part with chefs, there are many that lack business sense. I giggle every time I hear about someone that compete on the olympic teams for culinary, but can't run a kitchen to save their lives.

/ranting now.

Bad title for the thread then, Foodies are like my pet peeve, I've seen too many enter the school not realizing all the hard work put into things. Honestly I'm done, I haven't updated my profile though. Having a palette doesn't matter, the simplest foods can be the best when prepared simply. Loving food is fine, I encourage that. I just don't like obsession... I don't judge them for liking food. Fact is a good omelette can outclass a roulade or cannoli.

Funniest part with chefs, there are many that lack business sense. I giggle every time I hear about someone that compete on the olympic teams for culinary, but can't run a kitchen to save their lives.

/ranting now.

Dude.
Seriously.
Go on the GB if you want to be a douche ok?
This thread was meant to be fun and have some cool thoughts, recipes, opinions, etc.... On food.

Clearly this is something you are incapable of, so go fuck off.

Dude.
Seriously.
Go on the GB if you want to be a douche ok?
This thread was meant to be fun and have some cool thoughts, recipes, opinions, etc.... On food.

Clearly this is something you are incapable of, so go fuck off.

More inebriated now, So I'll come back later when I'm more personable.

/ranting now.

Seriously Jabber...you've picked the wrong day to cross me.

If you don't like what I named MY fucking thread....STAY OFF IT>

You sound exactly like the pompous peeve you're talking about. HOW CAN YOU SAY a palette doesn't matter ?

Maybe you should put the whiskey down for now....at the least, you should stay away from here if you want to criticize.

Quit with the 'better than' attitude. It's more than snobby schooling, but having a love and interest in making delicious concoctions.

Ssoooo..... Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

What is your favourite dessert to make/bake?
I'm honestly curious.
Mostly because mine is a little boring. I love to make chocolate chip cookies.
I love it when you take them out of the oven and then they just melt in your mouth in yummy chocolaty gooeyness.

But I'm thinking I should branch out and try other things.
;)

PS. Don't let the assholes get you down!

Ssoooo..... Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

What is your favourite dessert to make/bake?
I'm honestly curious.
Mostly because mine is a little boring. I love to make chocolate chip cookies.
I love it when you take them out of the oven and then they just melt in your mouth in yummy chocolaty gooeyness.

But I'm thinking I should branch out and try other things.
;)

PS. Don't let the assholes get you down!

OMG...I can make lots of desserts....but I can't make a chocolate chip cookie to save my life ! YUMMMMM

I guess my favorite dessert to make would be Tiramisu. But made from scratch from the sponge cake (or lady fingers) to the creme anglaise and using marscarpone cheese (never cream cheese !) I like to have all the different steps cuz it makes it like a project :) The end result is so yummy !!! ( I use a little gelatine in the creme anglaise/marscapone combo to ensure it sets well enough to cut)

Seriously Jabber...you've picked the wrong day to cross me.

If you don't like what I named MY fucking thread....STAY OFF IT>

You sound exactly like the pompous peeve you're talking about. HOW CAN YOU SAY a palette doesn't matter ?

Maybe you should put the whiskey down for now....at the least, you should stay away from here if you want to criticize.

And you call me a bitch?

LMAO Hi Kettle this is the pot ...

:rolleyes:

OMG...I can make lots of desserts....but I can't make a chocolate chip cookie to save my life ! YUMMMMM

I guess my favorite dessert to make would be Tiramisu. But made from scratch from the sponge cake (or lady fingers) to the creme anglaise and using marscarpone cheese (never cream cheese !) I like to have all the different steps cuz it makes it like a project :) The end result is so yummy !!! ( I use a little gelatine in the creme anglaise/marscapone combo to ensure it sets well enough to cut)

Lol
You sound like my sister. She loves making pastries and complicated desserts, but then we have arguments about how to make the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

Tiramisu sounds complicated.
But I think would be worth it.
I've also been wanting to make cannolis, although I would buy the pastry.
No way could I make that.

Yum!
:D

And you call me a bitch?

LMAO Hi Kettle this is the pot ...

:rolleyes:

Hehehe.... Hi Ms. Texas :kiss:

Well we have BOTH been on the receiving end of this particular kind of black bitchiness :D

Now I KNOW you have some yummy food posts to contribute ;)

(welcome)

O...and it's Mascarpone....not Marscarpone ... just in case Jabber's looking ;) )

I was thinking of making homemade tacos soon...at least the meat part, I'll buy tortillas. I need to find a recipe though, to at least start the process from.

One of my students made me a german chocolate cake in the microwave last week, that was surprisingly good. Not great mind you, but better than I expected from a microwave.

My fave tacos...

Make margaritas before starting.

Season flank steak with pepper and garlic salt and BBQ til med rare.

Meanwhile make your salsa. Tomatoes, gr onions, CILANTRO!, squirt of lemon, crushed garlic, jalapenos and seasoning. Add bite sized avocado chunks in for a twist.

Fry up your corn torts.

Let your steak sit a few mins and then slice against the grain in longish strips. Stuff tacos, pile on salsa. Freshen your drink...and EAT.

My fave dessert EVER, but I've never attempted making it. Yours sound yummy!

Hehehe.... Hi Ms. Texas :kiss:

Well we have BOTH been on the receiving end of this particular kind of black bitchiness :D

Now I KNOW you have some yummy food posts to contribute ;)

(welcome)

O...and it's Mascarpone....not Marscarpone ... just in case Jabber's looking ;) )

Since I was summoned. :rolleyes:
It's honestly the word foodie that sets me off.
My favorite dessert to make is truffles. Usually chocolate on cherry, or Hazelnut on caramel.

My fave tacos...

Meanwhile make your salsa. Tomatoes, gr onions, CILANTRO!, squirt of lemon, crushed garlic, jalapenos and seasoning. Add bite sized avocado chunks in for a twist.

Fry up your corn torts.

Let your steak sit a few mins and then slice against the grain in longish strips. Stuff tacos, pile on salsa. Freshen your drink...and EAT.

Aquagal....those tacos sound soooo good ! and yea...the drink does too :D I wonder how a little bit of grilled pineapple would be in the salsa ? (but probably without the avocado then.)

My fave tacos...

Fry up your corn torts.

Makes mine sound so plain.
I have to try this one.
:)

Aquagal....those tacos sound soooo good ! and yea...the drink does too :D I wonder how a little bit of grilled pineapple would be in the salsa ? (but probably without the avocado then.)

Keep the Barbie going and have grilled pineapple for dessert. DELISH!

Makes mine sound so plain.
I have to try this one.

Just a little change up on the meat can make a world of difference. :)

I'm a master at making pimento cheese spread sandwiches, Kraft macaroni and cheese, Ramen noodles, frozen Boston Market meals, and to fix your inability to make chocolate chip cookies, I can bake the hell out of Tollhouse cookies!

Like the thread. Sorry my tastes are so low-brow. LOL

:eek:

I'm a master at making pimento cheese spread sandwiches, Kraft macaroni and cheese, Ramen noodles, frozen Boston Market meals, and to fix your inability to make chocolate chip cookies, I can bake the hell out of Tollhouse cookies!

Like the thread. Sorry my tastes are so low-brow. LOL

:eek:

Nothing low-brow about your tastes Chaingun ! I love pimento cheese and lately I see sooooo many recipes that call for it ..... I think it's really in right now.

:rose:

(Ps. Sorry for the long post)

I think I need to make these tonight.
Apparently they are the best ever!

Best-Ever Brownies

From Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan and Julia Child
Excerpt from the book, by Julia Child: Those who are passionate about brownies argue in defense of their favorite type, cakey or fudgey. If you’re a cakey fan, go on to another recipe. These are the epitome of soft, dark, “baked just until barely set” brownies. Their creamy texture makes them seem wildly luxurious and very much a treat to be metered out in small servings (just small enough for a scoop of ice cream and some chocolate sauce).

The mixing method is unorthodox for a brownie. Half of an egg-sugar mixture is stirred into the melted chocolate and butter, while the other half is whipped until it thickens and doubles in volume. The lightened eggs are folded into the chocolate with a delicate touch, as are the dry ingredients–tricks that enhance the brownies’ lovely texture.”

Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs

Directions:

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently and keeping a watchful eye on the pot to make certain the chocolate doesn’t scorch (Alternatively, you can melt the ingredients in the top of a double boiler over, not touching, simmering water.) Add 1 cup of the sugar to the mixture and stir for half a minute, then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Pour the mixture into a large bowl.

Put the remaining 1 cup sugar and the eggs into a bowl and mix or whisk by hand just to combine.

Little by little, pour half of the sugar and eggs into the chocolate mixture, stirring gently but constantly with a rubber spatula so that the eggs don’t set from the heat.
Fit the whisk attachment to the mixer and whip the remaining sugar and eggs until they are thick, pale, and doubled in volume, about 3 minutes. (Jane note: I let it go for about 5 minutes)

Using the rubber spatula, delicately fold the whipped eggs into the chocolate mixture.

When the eggs are almost completely incorporated, gently fold in the dry ingredients.

Pour and scrape the batter in to an unbuttered 9-inch square pan. (Jane note: I did use an UNbuttered pan. It was actually kind of hard to get the brownies out. I have no idea if using a butter pan will change the way they cook or not. I just trusted Julia and went with it.)

Bake the brownies for 25-28 minutes, during which time they will rise a little and the top will turn dark and dry.

Cut into the center at about the 23-minute mark to see how the brownies are progressing: they’ll be perfect if they’re just barely set and still pretty gooey. They’re still awfully good on the other side of set, so don’t worry if you miss the moment on your first try.

The brownies will keep, covered, for 2 to 3 days at room temperature and can be frozen for up to a month. Thaw, still wrapped, at room temperature. These never freeze solid, so you might want to think about using them as a mix-in for ice cream.

In the words of Julia…Bon*Appétit!

best-ever-brownies-julia-child-web.jpg

Here's one for brunch tomorrow..

4 egg whites
4 eggs
1 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons coarse mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil (sliced/coarsely chopped)

whisk all of that in a bowl

4 cups whole grain bread (I like Alvarado Street Bakery) cubed
5 cups wilted arugula (rinse in, put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, drain it)
3/4 cups artichoke hearts (frozen is fine.. but thaw it first)
1 cup diced cooked chicken sausage (whatever seasoning you like)

add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and pour it into a 2 quart casserole that's been coated with non-stick spray

Bake in a covered casserole at 375 for about 45 minutes
Uncover and sprinkle with shredded cheese (pick the flavor based on the sausage you select)
Bake uncovered until the whole dish is golden and beautiful.

It's an easy recipe to change up.. mushrooms, scallions, sundried tomatoes.. we've had it with a lot of mix-ins.

Does anyone have any good salmon recipes? I have made mine over and over to the point I'm tired of them. I need something new. Sadly salmon and catfish are about the only fish I can get. Some times tilapia.

Does anyone have any good salmon recipes? I have made mine over and over to the point I'm tired of them. I need something new. Sadly salmon and catfish are about the only fish I can get. Some times tilapia.

I make a version of tilapia florentine like this:

Saute fresh spinach in some lemon/garlic flavored olive oil.

Layer over tilapia (fresh) and bake at 350 for approx 12 minutes.

Serve with rice pilaf.

Simple, but spinach goes so well with tilapia.

A rich yummy recipe for left over salmon :

Make a cream sauce of:

sauteed shallots (in a bit of butter)
and capers....(to your taste).
Break in the salmon, leaving it in nice size pieces.

deglaze the pan with white wine.

Add the herbs of your choice (I like tarragon...but dill or parsley would work also).

Add your cream (or half and half....or skim milk combined with a bit of fat free sour cream for thickness).

Add fresh (or frozen peas)...and warm these just thru (don't let them get mushy).

Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve this over fresh pasta.

Back