Fan Fiction outside of the Fan-Fiction/Celebrity Category

MediocreAuthor

You can call me "M"
I've been tinkering around with a Romance RP based in the Star Wars Universe.

I sometimes publish my RP's as stories, (with a note explaining their nature) and people have seemed to enjoy them so far.

My question is, if I was to publish this RP, would I HAVE to do it in the FF/C category? I know sometimes the editor will change category for you, but I don't want that.

From my understanding, FF/C deals with sex between established, copyrighted characters.. of which our story has none.

A Jedi Master and his young adult Padawan have a forbidden romance, but they are entirely original characters. Only the setting is based on a borrowed IP.

@Duleigh is writing novels set in Diskworld with mostly original characters, and that's in Sci-fi/Fantasy. Can we do the same with Star Wars?

There are other stories in SciFi&Fantasy that borrow the universe from some books but not the characters, so I see no reason why Star Wars should be special. When you publish your story maybe put a note to admin that you don't want it relocated to FF? Although, maybe some of the stories we mentioned have snuck through the system so it could also be better not to draw attention... ;)

You can do Star Wars without doing Star Wars. Change the character's name, change the supernatural element in some way, and make your own SCI/FI epic.

There are other stories in SciFi&Fantasy that borrow the universe from some books but not the characters, so I see no reason why Star Wars should be special. When you publish your story maybe put a note to admin that you don't want it relocated to FF? Although, maybe some of the stories we mentioned have snuck through the system so it could also be better not to draw attention... ;)

I recommend what AS proposes here, with a note to Laurel to let her decide. Maybe also a note in the story intro that you’re writing a non-official story set in the Star Wars Universe. Make it Legends if you like, that’s the general term for published fanfics in the universe prior to the Disney acquisition of Star Wars. Zahn’s Heir to the Empire trilogy is Legends, though some elements of it have been rewritten into Disney canon. Your story can be Legends that aren’t written in, unless they somehow get popular as Thrawn from Zahn.

I know you can get away with original takes on some things in stories here. Dr Who does not use their Sonic Screwdrivers as vibrators in official canon. It’s a fictitious coincidence that the two most prominent sexy doctors in my ficverse (both original characters otherwise) call their vibrators that.

Similarly, the Special Forces leader known as Joy Voyevoda never founded a fighting school with her name in official Metal Gear canon far as I know. In my ficverse, the story “I Want You” specifically, female martial arts expert Lisa Coleman is established as an honor graduate of a fighting school that honors Joy. So in my ficverse such a school was founded. But the character is my original creation, so her stories are in Lesbian and Sci-Fi, not Fanfic. At least that’s how I intend to keep it. Unless I mention her affairs with certain characters based on real celebrities (she’s had a few). Then I’ll have to go back to that section of Lit.

In Ruleskirter, I got away with mentioning Lisa’s destined husband was the same original male character who shagged Keira Knightley in Inside Out. It was allowed since Keira didn’t get any onscreen action in this story. If in the future I want to ship Lisa and Keira directly at some point with onscreen action, I’ll put the story in Celebrity. Same if I want to feature any other copyrighted character or character intended as a direct parallel universe version of some celebrity.

The black Marine chaplain slash libertine preacher Ben Shapiro from Debrief is someone I’ll have to establish as “not _that_ Ben Shapiro”, should I mention his first name again. I’m pretty sure the real life Ben Shapiro would disown his adopted daughters if he found out they were having a loving lesbian affair rather than officiate their wedding. Phillistine. My universe Ben Shapiro’s daughters feature in my latest published work on Lit (The Sisters Next Door). And in case any fans of Ben are reading this, I have been writing about a religious character named Ben Shapiro since the late 1990s before your Ben Shapiro ever got popular. Also, parody is protected speech, same for common names.

In the final analysis, let Laurel decide. If you’re afraid of getting a limited audience in Fanfic, know that I will gladly read your work if you directly ask me. I may even review it if I like it enough. Also, my Star Wars fanfic is very popular on AO3. It can’t be published on Lit due to their guidelines, but I have gotten plenty of kudos on my other platform.

Bamagan and Millie have a good plan too.

Last edited:
@Duleigh is writing novels set in Diskworld with mostly original characters, and that's in Sci-fi/Fantasy. Can we do the same with Star Wars?
The one difference between Discworld and Star Wars is that the latter is still being actively developed by a studio. I don't know if that makes any difference at all legally speaking, and I doubt the categorization here would make any difference if Disney lawyers found out and decided it wasn't fair use. I would expect you'd be good to go placing it in SciFi, but if Laurel disagrees, just replace "Force" with "Space Voodoo" and so forth.

It's a matter of whether Laurel recognizes the property more than anything, and she'll recognize star wars.

Doesn't matter if it's established characters. Using the setting and trappings of an established property is supposed to go into celeb/ff.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I'll just ask Laurel directly. If it has to go in FF/C I just won't publish it.

I'm not interested in putting stories in FF/C. I've browsed FF/C, and it doesn't interest me even a little. (Maybe there's content there that I'm missing, but from the bulk of the content I've seen, I'm not really interested.)

Probably... I might change my mind. And of course, I'd have to talk it over with my co-author.

Either way, I don't care that much. I'm writing this RP strictly for fun, and I thought I'd let others read it if they wanted.

May the Farce be with you!
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I'll just ask Laurel directly. If it has to go in FF/C I just won't publish it.

I'm not interested in putting stories in FF/C. I've browsed FF/C, and it doesn't interest me even a little. (Maybe there's content there that I'm missing, but from the bulk of the content I've seen, I'm not really interested.)

Probably... I might change my mind. And of course, I'd have to talk it over with my co-author.

Either way, I don't care that much. I'm writing this RP strictly for fun, and I thought I'd let others read it if they wanted.
EDIT: GD dyslexia, where are my lgasses?

Last edited:

If you want to explore some celebrity fanfics that have various unusual twists, I recommend my own work. You decide what you want to read and write.

The one difference between Discworld and Star Wars is that the latter is still being actively developed by a studio. I don't know if that makes any difference at all legally speaking, and I doubt the categorization here would make any difference if Disney lawyers found out and decided it wasn't fair use. I would expect you'd be good to go placing it in SciFi, but if Laurel disagrees, just replace "Force" with "Space Voodoo" and so forth.
There are a couple of stories set in the Wheel of Time universe, all of them published in SciFi, even if, to my eternal regret, there are ongoing shows based on that universe. I think the story would fly without any need to announce it properly. There is no monetary gain coming from this story, after all.

I'm not sure why the other content in FFC should have any bearing on you posting there. You just don't want to associate yourself with the readers who do like it? I gather from your other posts that there's plenty of stuff in NC/R that you don't like but that hasn't stopped you from contributing stories to it.
I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just opining that I think your allergy to FFC might be a little psychosomatic, so to speak.

I'd PM Laurel. She might have legal advice on where to corrall Fan Fiction, I don't know. None of us here can give definitive advice, only speculate. Talk to the boss.

I gather from your other posts that there's plenty of stuff in NC/R that you don't like but that hasn't stopped you from contributing stories to it.
That's an excellent point. Honestly, it has less to do with what others write and more to do with reader expectations.

Looking through the lists of FF/C stories, they tend to be about established characters or actors having sex. Readers are attracted to certain actors/actresses, and they want to see those characters in sexual situations.

That is the majority of what is expected from that genre, it seems. I am not going to provide that.

I am writing a Sci-fi/Fantasy romance story with Star Wars as the back drop. I feel that FF/C readers will not like what i have to offer, while SF/F readers will.

[On topic mini-rant]

Do you have any idea how badly I want to write a short story about a monogamous husband who fucks his loving monogamous wife, and stick it in LW?

I want a story about a wife who loves her spouse just as much as I love mine.

I don't wanna put it in EC, because they aren't just an erotic pairing, they're a married couple!
I don't wanna put it in Romance, because I want it to be short and hot and not-exactly romantic.

I wanna put it in LOVING WIVES... Because it's about an actual fucking LOVING WIFE!

But I don't. Because the trolls would eat it alive.

So while I will always write what I want, I do often take extra care what category I place my stories in.

Rant over 😅

Last edited:
That's an excellent point. Honestly, it has less to do with what others write and more to do with reader expectations.

Looking through the lists of FF/C stories, they tend to be about established characters or actors having sex. Readers are attracted to certain actors/actresses, and they want to see those characters in sexual situations.

That is the majority of what is expected from that genre, it seems. I am not going to provide that.

I am writing a Sci-fi/Fantasy romance story with Star Wars as the back drop. I feel that FF/C readers will not like what i have to offer, while SF/F readers will.

[On topic mini-rant]

Do you have any idea how badly I want to write a short story about a husband who fucks his loving monogamous wife, and stick it in LW?

I don't wanna put it in EC, because they aren't just an erotic pairing, they're a married couple!
I don't wanna put it in Romance, because I want ot to be short and hot and not-exactly romantic.

I wanna put it in LOVING WIVES... Because it's about an actual fucking LOVING WIFE!

So while I will always write what I want, I do often take extra care what category I place my stories in.

Rant over 😅

If it’s any consolation, my current least popular Celebrity story is about characters based on a longtime married Hollywood couple. It mentions their swinging but only concerns their relationship, which is loving and monogamous in terms of the story in question. Passion- Hollywood Nights is not popular or highly rated, but I am proud of it nonetheless. Does it break some rule that (in both my ficverse and real life) I want to be happy for the couple it depicts?

Not in my opinion.

I don't know if there's anything in development right now, but DW has had many adaptations including a movie just last year.

That kind of depends on how insular the readers of FF/C are. There may well be a few who react with dismay at the idea of a SW story with original characters. But I expect most of the people who read there read other categories as well and probably won't mind original characters in a familiar setting. I believe I've seen several SW fanfics with Mara Jade, a character from the novels and with no real-world actress at all (although I've largely stopped paying attention to what they've done lately, so possibly they've cast the role in something). I haven't put anything in that category, but I doubt you'll get any serious blowback from angry fans unless your blurb is seriously misleading. I think if you provide enough setting details to show that you are familiar with and appreciate the setting you will probably appease most of the other people who also appreciate the setting for its own merits.

[On topic mini-rant]

Do you have any idea how badly I want to write a short story about a monogamous husband who fucks his loving monogamous wife, and stick it in LW?
Based on the following evidence, I'm estimating 7.5/10 on the desperation scale.

I don't wanna put it in Romance, because I want ot to be short and hot and not-exactly romantic.

Rant over 😅
Do it anyway. Trolls may eat it alive, but they can't kill it by eating it alive. But as long as we're on the topic, if you do write such a tale to place there, I recommend you make it a fanfic about the man and wife who raised the rancor in Jabba's rancor pit, to make it a commentary on cross-categorization.

Last edited:
Bamagan is correct on many points. I’d write in accordance with my muses’ direction. The couple Bam mentions are among my favorite SW characters btw.

Bamagan is correct on many points. I’d write in accordance with my muses’ direction. The couple Bam mentions are among my favorite SW characters btw.
I'd forgotten they got official characterizations, actually. I remember there was the crying guy when Luke escaped from the Loving Wives category rancor pit in the movie, and I dimly recall reading about him in Tales from Jabba's Palace or somesuch, but don't remember any of the personal details provided there other than that the rancor was not a monster unless it was starved and that the handler was just about to run away and free it when Luke killed it.

Last edited:
I've been tinkering around with a Romance RP based in the Star Wars Universe.

I sometimes publish my RP's as stories, (with a note explaining their nature) and people have seemed to enjoy them so far.

My question is, if I was to publish this RP, would I HAVE to do it in the FF/C category? I know sometimes the editor will change category for you, but I don't want that.

From my understanding, FF/C deals with sex between established, copyrighted characters.. of which our story has none.

A Jedi Master and his young adult Padawan have a forbidden romance, but they are entirely original characters. Only the setting is based on a borrowed IP.

The Fanfic category is mostly filled with drooling celebrity stories. A quality take on an establish universe is lost in the drool and spittle of the fanbois . If you're doing Star Wars and it's not speculative sex between R2D2 and C3PO, put it in Scifi but give props to the original creators even if it is 🤢 George Lucas 🤮

The Fanfic category is mostly filled with drooling celebrity stories. A quality take on an establish universe is lost in the drool and spittle of the fanbois . If you're doing Star Wars and it's not speculative sex between R2D2 and C3PO, put it in Scifi but give props to the original creators even if it is 🤢 George Lucas 🤮
I'm just using his world. Not his characters

Sci-Fi&Fantasy does seem to be a category where fanfic is allowed to post more often than in the real world categories. I've seen quite a few stories with opening author notes saying it's set in the world of warcraft, warhammer, etc.

That being said, there's a world of difference between WoW and Star Wars.

Every story in the Celeb category used to have an automated disclaimer attached to the top of it. When we did the Virtual Reality chain, ( set in video game worlds ) we had to manually add that disclaimer to the top of every story in order to have them post in the chain story category. That automated disclaimer is gone, but it's an example of how segregated the content has historically been. There are also special content prohibitions that only apply to the Celeb/FF content, and a lot of those started out as much narrower rules that only applied to certain high profile properties like DC or Star Wars.

Laurel is the only one who can make the call, but I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

[On topic mini-rant]

I don't wanna put it in Romance, because I want it to be short and hot and not-exactly romantic.

Rant over 😅
One of my favorite LW stories is about a wife treating her husband to 12 nights of Christmas sex. By SilkStockingLover. So... I think people worry way too much about what "should" or "should not" be in categories.

If you have an RP you want to publish, I hope you don't 🗑️ it over category preference, cause I want to read it, whichever category it ends up in!

One of my favorite LW stories is about a wife treating her husband to 12 nights of Christmas sex. By SilkStockingLover. So... I think people worry way too much about what "should" or "should not" be in categories.

If you have an RP you want to publish, I hope you don't 🗑️ it over category preference, cause I want to read it, whichever category it ends up in!
Did you read read the RP I already posted?

Published RP: Test Subjects

I only ask because you said you're interested in reading my RP.

Back