Back to where I started

Rob_Royale

with cheese
As I mentioned in my previous thread, Running out of steam. I've sort of hit a writing slump. So to fill the time I'd usually be spending writing, I started up a previous vice again. Video games. I don't play much. But I do love MMORPG's and when I get into them, I really get INTO them. In fact, I originally started writing by doing fan fiction based on the games I played and the characters I created. City of Heroes and Star Wars: the Old Republic were the big ones for me, but this time it's Skyrim.

Yesterday, I restarted Skyrim again and if you are familiar with the game I got as far as Riverwood when inspiration struck. Here was a ready-made setting, with ready-made characters. I fell asleep thinking about it and woke up thinking about it. All I had to do was add my MC, add a dash of drama, and some sex and I was off and running at 5 AM this morning.

It feels good to go back to my writing roots and play with these characters again, far more irreverently than ever before. My main character will not be the Dragonborn, but his story will run concurrently with the Dragonborn's. My MMC is Rael of the Skaal, and he has picked a less-than-ideal time to visit Skyrim, because dragons have returned. But there is blood to be spilled, gold to be won and wenches to be bedded. I aim to misbehave.

I wrote a four-part fan fiction set around Fallout 4 two years ago. It was a fun project. Hope yours goes well.

Bethesda games have a lot of sins but the Elder Scrolls/FO worlds are just too compelling and deep to stay out of forever.

Of course, if ever in a dry spell, there's nothing wrong with that. Happens to the best of us, you know?

But I also think that gaming leading to some inspiring thoughts is as good a place as any to get back into it. I love the Elder Scrolls games. I'll definitely be looking forward to this publication if you're meaning to share it. Congrats on relocating your muse!

Good luck. Sometimes all you have to do to get back in the spirit of writing is find the right alternative pastime. God of War Ragnarok inspired me in a similar way. I got stories out of Metal Gear Solid, Dynasty Warriors, and Pathfinder too. All critically acclaimed and available on Lit.

As I mentioned in my previous thread, Running out of steam. I've sort of hit a writing slump.
Me too. Burn out I think.

I have a few stories partly written and kinda stalled, wasn’t sure where I wanted to take them. For one, my muse was tied up (not like that) with IRL stuff. For another it kept having unexpected things happen, which needed resolving and what I thought might be a sweet and sexy 5k words would need 30k words to tell the story. I had neither the energy nor the inspiration.

And then something so utterly banal inspired me. You may have noticed a very mininal and restrained amount of goofing around with AI images. Easy to miss I know 😬.

Rather than trying to illustrate a story, I stared just free associating with prompts. And it was mostly laughable nonsense. Then it came up with one image and the story idea kinda burst into my head.

Posting soon in Romance (pause for irony).

I now feel I can go back to the other stories and see what I can do.

Em

Back