Fan Fiction corundum

Wifetheif

Experienced
I tried to post a fanfiction about Honey West. It was rejected because L.com does not publish fan fiction involving blackmail. The thing is, that is kind of the point of her character in the novels! In the books, Honey is blackmailed or forced into nudity all the time! One novel opens with a thug entering Honey's office and forcing her to strip to the skin at gunpoint before being coerced into a Marine uniform complete with Uncle Sam-issued female military underwear! In another, she's sidetracked in a Tijuana brothel, drugged, disarmed, and stripped down. She barely escapes in just a pair of panties. In another she finds herself roped into a game of strip poker with three guys while she is wearing only a daring one-piece bathing suit. You get the idea. Blackmail and coercion are basically default modes for the character. Eliminating that from her adventures makes as much sense as eliminating Tarzan his vines and loincloth. I realized that there was no way I could re-write my story and have it resemble anything like my original vision or anything like the novel's character, so I found some other places to post it What is the point of this site offering the option of fan fiction if we can't be true to the character we are writing about?
The feedback on my Honey West story has been very good so I know L-dotters would enjoy it. What a pity.

What is the point of this site offering the option of fan fiction if we can't be true to the character we are writing about?
Maybe the inclusion of 99.999% of the other fanfic possibilities that don't risk Lit running afoul of interest groups, legal troubles, or just far more difficult administration of their business?

Unfortunate your particular scenarios can't creatively be made workable in your mind but the restrictions exist which will, sadly, limit some submissions but still allow for plenty of fanfic content overall.

There are many things acceptable in fiction and legal in real life that aren't acceptable at LitE.

For example, that the legal age of consent is in many places under 18 is an evergreen subject brought up. That other sites and even mainstream fiction allow under-18s to be portrayed having sex but not LitE shows up weekly.

Doesn't matter.

I accept you feel like venting, and I guess you really like this character for whatever reason or unreason you have. (I'm not familiar with the works, so have no comment.) The site's owners have decided that the combination of characters covered by copyright beyond the submitter's (which is what fan fiction is) combined with blackmail is a Line That Shall Not Be Crossed. That they accept fan fiction at all still gives you vast latitude.

I have what's to me a compelling idea about a female assassin and how her work ties into certain, uh, urges of hers. I already know it won't fly here (snuff), so I either modify it or post elsewhere. <Shrug>. I've actually walked that line with a couple of other stories that are posted here, so I'm aware of walking that line. But those are original, I don't need to hew to any outside depictions.

As with so much other stuff that Lit shoots down, we of the AH can't help you. The only person who can is Laurel, so send her a PM and be done with it.

I realize you can't help me. I have PM'd Laurel in the past when it came to Fanfiction this one seems unwinnable and not worth the effort.

I realized that there was no way I could re-write my story and have it resemble anything like my original vision or anything like the novel's character, so I found some other places to post it What is the point of this site offering the option of fan fiction if we can't be true to the character we are writing about?
The feedback on my Honey West story has been very good so I know L-dotters would enjoy it. What a pity.

I was born in '68 and have never even heard of this character, TV show, or novel. So I'd venture to say, a majority of LIT readers won't have either. This would allow for some pretty significant creative licenses to be made on the part of the writer. Which happens in fiction every day, in every medium. So the problem here is you. Not the rules.

I remember the TV show and the spot on Anne Francis' face, and the car, and the gadgets, that's about it. I preferred the Wild Wild West
I guess if you're not creative enough to come up with a story line that works within the rules of the site, then another site is your best option.

I was born in '68 and have never even heard of this character, TV show, or novel. So I'd venture to say, a majority of LIT readers won't have either. This would allow for some pretty significant creative licenses to be made on the part of the writer. Which happens in fiction every day, in every medium. So the problem here is you. Not the rules.
Oddly hostile response. Sure, if there were rules against flying reindeer, I could write a Santa story where he drove a car instead. But that wouldn't really be much of a Santa story. I'd probably just not write a Santa story at that point, or post it elsewhere, rather than change Santa so much. (If I actually wanted to change Santa that would be different, and completely fine.) If I came here to vent about that rule preventing me from doing the Santa story I wanted to do, I'd find it strange if someone felt compelled to say I was 'the problem,' as if wanting to write about Santa as he is usually portrayed were some kind of personal failing.

I tried to post a fanfiction about Honey West. It was rejected because L.com does not publish fan fiction involving blackmail. The thing is, that is kind of the point of her character in the novels! In the books, Honey is blackmailed or forced into nudity all the time! One novel opens with a thug entering Honey's office and forcing her to strip to the skin at gunpoint before being coerced into a Marine uniform complete with Uncle Sam-issued female military underwear! In another, she's sidetracked in a Tijuana brothel, drugged, disarmed, and stripped down. She barely escapes in just a pair of panties. In another she finds herself roped into a game of strip poker with three guys while she is wearing only a daring one-piece bathing suit. You get the idea. Blackmail and coercion are basically default modes for the character. Eliminating that from her adventures makes as much sense as eliminating Tarzan his vines and loincloth. I realized that there was no way I could re-write my story and have it resemble anything like my original vision or anything like the novel's character, so I found some other places to post it What is the point of this site offering the option of fan fiction if we can't be true to the character we are writing about?

I suspect that rule is driven by the "celebrity" side of the category description. Non-con fiction involving real people has the potential to get extremely creepy, and a celebrity who finds out that they're starring in rape fantasies on Literotica might have things to say about it. "Crazed stalker detailed his fantasies on Literotica before acting on them in reality" isn't the sort of mess any website owner wants to get involved in, so it's pretty understandable that Lit doesn't want to host real-person NC fic.

But because celeb and fanfic are lumped together in the one category, even fanfic about purely fictional people falls under the same rule. (And to be fair, the lumping-together makes some sense; there's a lot of grey area for film/TV stuff where a fictional character is strongly identified with the actor who plays them.)

I remember the TV show and the spot on Anne Francis' face, and the car, and the gadgets, that's about it. I preferred the Wild Wild West
I guess if you're not creative enough to come up with a story line that works within the rules of the site, then another site is your best option.
This, too, seems overly insulting. I'm plenty creative enough to put Santa in a car, for example, but it's perfectly reasonable for me to prefer not to do so when I'm interested in doing a Santa story that follows the usual Santa depiction.

This, too, seems overly insulting.
I mean maybe not ideal phrasing but Duleigh is rarely acerbic so feels like a quick dash off of a post to me with zero intent of malice.
I'm plenty creative enough to put Santa in a car, for example, but it's perfectly reasonable for me to prefer not to do so when I'm interested in doing a Santa story that follows the usual Santa depiction.
Totally sensible. But Lit chooses to operate as a "no-sleighs" website.

You preference is fine and we can argue creatively justifiable but that's not applicable as no-sleigh isn't driven by the creator's why, no matter how creatively logical that why is.

"Creative" can simply mean working around the restriction by not being on the nose with things.

We have Lit drawing a line and not budging and a creator drawing their own line and not budging.

Ties go to the ownership.

maxresdefault (24).jpg

Last edited:
Oddly hostile response. Sure, if there were rules against flying reindeer, I could write a Santa story where he drove a car instead. But that wouldn't really be much of a Santa story. I'd probably just not write a Santa story at that point, or post it elsewhere, rather than change Santa so much. (If I actually wanted to change Santa that would be different, and completely fine.) If I came here to vent about that rule preventing me from doing the Santa story I wanted to do, I'd find it strange if someone felt compelled to say I was 'the problem,' as if wanting to write about Santa as he is usually portrayed were some kind of personal failing.

You are right. I apologize for my tone. I suppose the forums are not the place for me when I'm having a bad day.
However, I find posts venting about the rules ... trying. A good writer should be able to work within them and still put out the story they want.

You are right. I apologize for my tone. I suppose the forums are not the place for me when I'm having a bad day.
However, I find posts venting about the rules ... trying. A good writer should be able to work within them and still put out the story they want.
I'm sorry you're having a bad day! I think that last bit just caught me off guard, especially since op already said they were posting elsewhere and just wanted to express their frustration that they couldn't here.

Sorry if I overreacted as well!

I'm sorry you're having a bad day! I think that last bit just caught me off guard, especially since op already said they were posting elsewhere and just wanted to express their frustration that they couldn't here.

That's more like the two AHers I know and love. đź«‚ đź«‚

To the subject at hand, it's just a bad scene all around.

I default to the "this again?" point of view simply b/c if everybody complained about what didn't work for them about Lit, we'd grind the forum to a standstill.

Most of us have content that simply won't work here. We just take it in stride and recognize sometimes you have to choose your creative vision over exposure.

Nope, we're cool. I'd rather have someone call me out than just think I'm an asshole and move on. Because I'm not. Usually. :sneaky:

@Euphony , maybe that's it. I DON'T have any content that won't fit here. I thought my non-con story was pushing the boundaries of acceptability but Laurel had no issue with it. So maybe it's harder for me to commiserate with someone complaining about something that seems to be very easy for me to deal with.

Anyway, @Wifetheif , sorry for being a jerk. If you want to brainstorm on your story, shoot me a PM.

Anyway, @Wifetheif , sorry for being a jerk. If you want to brainstorm on your story, shoot me a PM.
Why bother with the appeasement? The OP has been around long enough to read the FAQs, and should never have submitted the story in the first place. The rest of us can work within the rules, so can he.

There are rules here about certain content being prohibited here, and I don't argue with those. I will simply repeat that the context in which certain content is used greatly impacts its acceptability.

"No one under 18" is a rule that applies to underage characters and sexual activities within stories. It doesn't prohibit ANY characters under 18 from being included in stories, just the context in which they are portrayed.

I would suspect that a scenario where a celebrity was blackmailed would also be acceptable if that activity was of a non-sexual context. For example, a backstory where she was coerced in some fashion to undertake an investigation and in the course of that she has consensual sex with someone other than the person coercing her would likely pass Laurel's rule. An act of coercion or blackmail cannot entice, stimulate, or arouse the average person if you expect it to be approved.

hohoho-bottle-of-rum.gif

There are rules here about certain content being prohibited here, and I don't argue with those. I will simply repeat that the context in which certain content is used greatly impacts its acceptability.

"No one under 18" is a rule that applies to underage characters and sexual activities within stories. It doesn't prohibit ANY characters under 18 from being included in stories, just the context in which they are portrayed.

I would suspect that a scenario where a celebrity was blackmailed would also be acceptable if that activity was of a non-sexual context. For example, a backstory where she was coerced in some fashion to undertake an investigation and in the course of that she has consensual sex with someone other than the person coercing her would likely pass Laurel's rule. An act of coercion or blackmail cannot entice, stimulate, or arouse the average person if you expect it to be approved.
But just for celebrity ot fic characters, right? Seems like the same story could go here if the author were okay with changing the character in the lit version to "Honey East" or perhaps "Jane Smith" if the first pushed the limit too much. (The 50 Shades gambit.) Unless I'm misunderstanding the rule.

Last edited:
This, too, seems overly insulting. I'm plenty creative enough to put Santa in a car, for example, but it's perfectly reasonable for me to prefer not to do so when I'm interested in doing a Santa story that follows the usual Santa depiction.
What I find insulting is someone coming here looking for pity because he couldn't come up with a creative way around his self inflicted conundrum. Lost bet is one, received orders from TPTB that Honey disagreed with, Couldn't find another way to accomplish the mission - these are just three that would work and I don't even like Honey West.

What I find insulting is someone coming here looking for pity because he couldn't come up with a creative way around his self inflicted conundrum. Lost bet is one, received orders from TPTB that Honey disagreed with, Couldn't find another way to accomplish the mission - these are just three that would work and I don't even like Honey West.
Is a lost bet not dubious consent?

Maybe this?

• Ravishment, nonconsensual, dubiously consensual, or consensual-nonconsensual fantasies involving real-life people, groups/organizations, or copyrighted characters. Literotica does not publish non-con fanfic.
Since Honey West is not a real-life person, maybe her character is viewed as being copyrighted?

According to the US.Copyright Office:

"Thus a drawing, picture, depiction, or written description of a character can be registered for copyright. Protection does not, however, extend to the title or general theme for a cartoon or comic strip, the general idea or name for characters depicted, or their intangible attributes."

Back