Do readers not realize that the stories here are mostly fiction?

Having put a couple of femdom stories on the site and got some pretty distressed feedback from people who don't like that sort of thing, it did cross my mind that there might be a bit of trolling going on in the comments. Either that or there's people on here who don't realise that fetish erotica about power exchanges is based on fantasies, some of which are morally a bit dodgy.
It's almost like some of these readers are the opposite of the Wealliams and Twudies who go around fetish clubs and munches complaining that everybody else is a role playing and they have the only proper slave in the whole scene...
This has been my experience. I’ve written first-person POV stories that describe a somewhat extreme, though still consensual femdom situation, and get comments that the protagonist needs to seek help, or that the relationship is abusive, or “are any men really that pathetic,” etc. I’m guessing most of it is trolling. Sometimes, though, I get the feeling that commenters think all these stories are based on something resembling reality, rather than being expressions of arousing fantasies that I only ever want to live out in story form.

My most recent story got some feedback (since deleted; sending them into the void gives me pleasure) that my story was misogynistic, that I was misogynistic, etc. To be clear, the lead character, the POV narrator, is a misogynist. There are some readers who don't know the difference between a story that portrays a misogynist and a story that condones misogyny, which I think is a much larger cultural problem. It isn't just here.

When someone who has been damaged gets triggered, it becomes very real. Their fear and anxieties get stirred up and that trauma comes screaming up to the fore. I've seen it happen with my wife and it's not a good thing.
☝️☝️☝️ This…
The real question is, why read something that might trigger you?
It doesn’t have to be reading, someone mentioning a subject can do it too, or starting a thread about it. Even if you avoid reading the thread.

Emily

This has been my experience. I’ve written first-person POV stories that describe a somewhat extreme, though still consensual femdom situation, and get comments that the protagonist needs to seek help, or that the relationship is abusive, or “are any men really that pathetic,” etc. I’m guessing most of it is trolling. Sometimes, though, I get the feeling that commenters think all these stories are based on something resembling reality, rather than being expressions of arousing fantasies that I only ever want to live out in story form.

I'm writing a femdom story where a guy is undergoing an intense tease and denial situation against his will by his four stepsisters and he can't get out of it because of financial blackmail. I'm getting comments like "Jesus fucking christ, just LEAVE. Who cares if they cut you off, you can get a fucking job! Scrubbing toilets would be better than this!"

I plan to increase the hold they have over him in further chapters, but I don't necessarily think comments like this are a bad thing. Imagine you're watching a horror movie and you're really enjoying it. Imagine you're watching a scene where the main character is in a creepy place and the killer is sneaking up on her with a machete. You're screaming at your TV "Come on, come on, get out of there, oh for fucks sake turn round you stupid bitch, he's right be-fucking-hind you!" I think I might have a bit of that going on, which I consider a good thing. At least they're engaged with it and don't find it boring.

I get comments on some of my stories where the reader seems to think everything in them is real life. They are STORIES, people. You know, fiction. Yes, there may be some truth in them but seriously. Are our readers so dumb as to offer legal advice for persons in a fictional story?? Some are.
In my opinion they aren't stupid..they just like to call attention to and talk shit about subjects and themes they don't agree with...

I had a reader go completely apeshit over my "Cuckolding a Follower" series. I was so embarrassed for him that I deleted his comment. He used ALL CAPS several times in his rant. He accused me of attempting to break up the Follower's marriage (yet the Follower was getting exactly what he wanted). It was just completely unhinged. I assume another man broke up his marriage and it injured him deeply, but why even open a story in a series about cuckolding if you know it's likely to trigger you? Maybe he thought it would be a BTB trope? Maybe it hit hard because I told it as if it was a true story, with me as the MMC? IDK. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'd be very reluctant to delete a comment. It would have to be straight up abusive towards me or another commenter. I think all readers should be able to have their say on my story, even if it makes me feel like shit.

Last edited:
My father tells a story about a midnight screening of Halloween when it opened. A black girl in the crowd screamed at the screen, "You fucking white bitch, turn around," when Jason sat up near the end of the show, and Jammie Lee Curtis was sitting on the floor thinking she'd killed him. It totally broke the tension, and a ripple of laughter ran through the crowd. The girl yelled out, "This ain't funny bitches. That bastard's trying to kill her."
I'm writing a femdom story where a guy is undergoing an intense tease and denial situation against his will by his four stepsisters and he can't get out of it because of financial blackmail. I'm getting comments like "Jesus fucking christ, just LEAVE. Who cares if they cut you off, you can get a fucking job! Scrubbing toilets would be better than this!"

I plan to increase the hold they have over him in further chapters, but I don't necessarily think comments like this are a bad thing. Imagine you're watching a horror movie and you're really enjoying it. Imagine you're watching a scene where the main character is in a creepy place and the killer is sneaking up on her with a machete. You're screaming at your TV "Come on, come on, get out of there, oh for fucks sake turn round you stupid bitch, he's right be-fucking-hind you!" I think I might have a bit of that going on, which I consider a good thing. At least they're engaged with it and don't find it boring.

I'd be very reluctant to delete a comment. It would have to be straight up abusive towards me or another commenter. I think all readers should be able to have their say on my story, even if it makes me feel like shit.
Try posting in LW, you'll learn to love the delete button.

Comments are like posters advertising a movie, or reviews of that movie, or they can be like dog turds on your lawn. They're a reflection on your story, which presumably you want people to read.

If a comment has something intelligent to say, good or bad, I'll keep it. But if it's all about the commenter, not the story, I don't care so much. And if it's garbage, or has nothing to say, I'll delete it.

I get comments on some of my stories where the reader seems to think everything in them is real life. They are STORIES, people. You know, fiction. Yes, there may be some truth in them but seriously. Are our readers so dumb as to offer legal advice for persons in a fictional story?? Some are.
Some of mine start with an actual incident.

I wrote a story about a strip club, and one of the commenters proceeded to tell me every way my strip club was not factual, and I should be ashamed of myself. I believe he called it a "disney strip club"

I wrote a story about a strip club, and one of the commenters proceeded to tell me every way my strip club was not factual, and I should be ashamed of myself. I believe he called it a "disney strip club"

"Ladies and crustaceans, put your fins and flippers together and welcome to the stage, Ariel! She's gonna show you it truly is better down where it's wetter!"

Oh, wait until they see how I set up École de Théologie Évangélique du Québec my divinity school. Of course, if they really knew they wouldn't be here, would they?

That's a really good point that hadn't occurred to me. I like that.

Imagine you're watching a horror movie and you're really enjoying it. Imagine you're watching a scene where the main character is in a creepy place and the killer is sneaking up on her with a machete. You're screaming at your TV "Come on, come on, get out of there, oh for fucks sake turn round you stupid bitch, he's right be-fucking-hind you!" I think I might have a bit of that going on, which I consider a good thing. At least they're engaged with it and don't find it boring.
That's why I try to give my readers an emotional gut punch. If they're too busy weeping over the loss of a loved character, they won't notice that the Ford 8n tractor ended production in 1952, not 1954.

Back