Do you view AH as a literary forum?

EmilyMiller

Perv of the Impverse
Strange question maybe. It’s part of a sex site. Devoted to people writing smut. It’s a social gathering place for the same.

But is it ALSO somewhere to discuss literature (including non-erotic) and its impact on our work?

Em

I haven't been here long enough to know the backstory of this particular forum.

While the things you say it is (we are) hold true, that doesn't mean it can't be more.

I've found a vast amount of knowledge and support here. The people I've met have been fun, smart, engaging, and so willing to discuss anything I've brought forward.

I have noticed you aren't shy about opening threads, perhaps we should just give it a go... I can't guarantee I'll have read all the books mention, but that won't stop me from engaging in the conversation. (yeah, you probably knew that already.)

Nope.
It would probably be a surprise for a newcomer, but this forum has nothing to do with discussing writing and literary works. In all my time here, I did pick up a good advice or two, but 99.99% of the time the forum is about some casual fun, often in the form of silly banter. There are instances where we discuss the effects our stories have on readers in the sense of ratings and comments, but for as long as I have been here, there hasn't been a single topic where we discussed writing or literary works, at least one that didn't derail into fore mentioned silly banter from post 5# already.

The forum is what we made of it. It is a place for fun, some gossip, and procrastinating, but hardly more than that.

Not my fault. This is what always happens. Someone makes a tangential comment and I’m like a moth to a flame ☹️

I guess I meant the writing of others - not each other.

Em
Well I suppose Hemmingway gets mentioned fairly regularly around here...

Nope.
It would probably be a surprise for a newcomer, but this forum has nothing to do with discussing writing and literary works. In all my time here, I did pick up a good advice or two, but 99.99% of the time the forum is about some casual fun, often in the form of silly banter. There are instances where we discuss the effects our stories have on readers in the sense of ratings and comments, but for as long as I have been here, there hasn't been a single topic where we discussed writing or literary works, at least one that didn't derail into fore mentioned silly banter from post 5# already.

The forum is what we made of it. It is a place for fun, some gossip, and procrastinating, but hardly more than that.
You are so down in the dumps recently.

🫂🫂🫂

Em

In the Latin sense, sure. But not so much in the book club sense of seriously discussing the literary merits of some famous author's work(s).

I don’t think I try to write in the style of any of my literary heroes. But some influences creep in. Distorted by the prism of my - at best - emerging ability.

Em

Every writer is influenced by the things they read. Even if we don't set out to write like someone there will always be echoes of the voices that inspired us.

Nope.

I thought you had to be an author to post here, and since I wasn't an author I didn't come in here until I started writing.

I started out in the Editing forum where it's very focused on editing and editing requests. I assumed the AH was similar. It took a while to adjust to it being a hangout (funny how the name gave it away).

You are so down in the dumps recently.

🫂🫂🫂

Em
Thanks for the hugs Little Nerd 😘, but I don't think my occasional sore mood has anything to do with it, this time. I sometimes participate in the fun and banter, and there is nothing wrong with it, but I stand behind my words. And I am eagerly waiting for someone to prove me wrong 😉

BTW, I remember someone here having an idea about something that would actually be about discussing writing and stories, but I can't seem to remember who that was... :unsure:

Thanks for the hugs Little Nerd 😘, but I don't think my occasional sore mood has anything to do with it, this time. I sometimes participate in the fun and banter, and there is nothing wrong with it, but I stand behind my words. And I am eagerly waiting for someone to prove me wrong 😉

BTW, I remember someone here having an idea about something that would actually be about discussing writing and stories, but I can't seem to remember who that was... :unsure:
I didn’t realize that convos had a limit.

Need to set up a Discord or something.

Em

I thought you had to be an author to post here, and since I wasn't an author I didn't come in here until I started writing.

I started out in the Editing forum where it's very focused on editing and editing requests. I assumed the AH was similar. It took a while to adjust to it being a hangout (funny how the name gave it away).
I posted five stories or so before I discovered the forum. I remember thinking how people must be discussing stories here all the time... Oh boy 😄

So post something. You are not without agency. Stop blaming others and be the change you want.

Em

Back