CHYOO 3! Need your feedback and suggestions...

setic said:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a note to let you know I've been following this thread with great interest and to thank you for your suggestions so far. Please keep the ideas flowing.

I don't have time to comment on each suggestion but will venture to say that if they're good, they'll probably make it into the new version.

Though I'm a proponent of the open source movement, CHYOO 3 was commissioned to me by the management of Literotica. I suspect they'd be the first to admit that their attention to CHYOO has been "lacking". However, I've kept a steady dialogue with them the past couple of months and I've gotten the impression that they're prepared to renew their efforts to grow the site, starting with a new version with moderation capabilities and the possibility of a paid, full-time site administrator when the site is complete.

Again, thank you for your suggestions so far and your continued dedication to CHYOO.

setic

As a long time lurker and new writer/editor this is some very welcome news!

FBB

suggestion

Ok, on think I think is great is the ability to do the "First Name/Last Name" thing. I think that's pretty cool.

Shame I dont have a freakin' idea how this works.

So my suggestions is this:
A short simple and sweet "how to" that even a monkey like me can follow. :)

a FAQ might be a good idea too.

FBB

Theres already a FAQ floating around near the front page that Jakelyon and others got going.....might've slid off the lists, but anyway, heres a quick " how to " regarding the personalised names thingy:

When your writing a new thread and you want a name inserted you have to write ( exactly the same way as I've done) {FIRST_NAME} or {LAST_NAME} simple as that!

p.s if you want an "s" after a name eg: bob's car wont start, then stick it literally on the end, no spaces or the spaces will come through on the readers version eg: {FIRST_NAME}'s

:nana: Good luck. :nana:

Fizzbangboom said:
Ok, on think I think is great is the ability to do the "First Name/Last Name" thing. I think that's pretty cool.

I was working on a few stories this weekend ("Ult. Fanfic." for 1) that I thought would be cool to have it in that don't.

I'd be happy with an illustrated story catagory simarlar to literotica, however I can realise that might cause problems with copyrighted material being attached.

Occasional clean ups of the single/two or three thread stories that are dead would be good,

horny-oz said:
Theres already a FAQ floating around near the front page that Jakelyon and others got going.....might've slid off the lists, but anyway, heres a quick " how to " regarding the personalised names thingy:

When your writing a new thread and you want a name inserted you have to write ( exactly the same way as I've done) {FIRST_NAME} or {LAST_NAME} simple as that!

p.s if you want an "s" after a name eg: bob's car wont start, then stick it literally on the end, no spaces or the spaces will come through on the readers version eg: {FIRST_NAME}'s

:nana: Good luck. :nana:

I did not know that!
And learning is half the battle! ;)

Thank you oz!

android1966 said:
I'd be happy with an illustrated story catagory simarlar to literotica, however I can realise that might cause problems with copyrighted material being attached.

Occasional clean ups of the single/two or three thread stories that are dead would be good,

I think it would be great, but yeah I see the major players (Suze randal and Eral Miller probably being the most popular to use) blowing a gasket. From what I've heard both are very aggressive about protecting thier protected works.

android1966 said:
Or adoption of said stories.

Torg said:
Or adoption of said stories.

Adoption would be a good idea, but some of the stories are that-few threads are so b/c there is nothing to write after the way they're started.

One thing I've wanted a few times, is to be able to capitalize or somehow manipulate the {FIRST_NAME} {LAST_NAME} variables.

First, I'd love to be able to capatalize them. When a character is yelling, the best you can do is: "YOU ARE A FUCK, {FIRST_NAME}!!!!!", which comes out "YOU ARE A FUCK, John!!!!!!"

Next, since we are writing about sex and passionate situations... a few times I wanted a 'moany' version of the name. Instead of 'MMMMMMmmm.... yeeeaaahhhh John', I'd like to be ably to write 'MMMmmmm.... yeaaahhhh Johhhnnnnn'

:)

Caps would be easy. Moany I can't think how to implement, other than to programatically add letters to the last letter in the name or some such thing.

Juiblex said:
One thing I've wanted a few times, is to be able to capitalize or somehow manipulate the {FIRST_NAME} {LAST_NAME} variables.

First, I'd love to be able to capatalize them. When a character is yelling, the best you can do is: "YOU ARE A FUCK, {FIRST_NAME}!!!!!", which comes out "YOU ARE A FUCK, John!!!!!!"

Next, since we are writing about sex and passionate situations... a few times I wanted a 'moany' version of the name. Instead of 'MMMMMMmmm.... yeeeaaahhhh John', I'd like to be ably to write 'MMMmmmm.... yeaaahhhh Johhhnnnnn'

:)

Caps would be easy. Moany I can't think how to implement, other than to programatically add letters to the last letter in the name or some such thing.

Really good ideas, do you have any suggestions about how to make them real?
Especially the "Johhhhhnnn"-thingy would be hard to acomplish, I imagine.

Gunde said:
Really good ideas, do you have any suggestions about how to make them real?
Especially the "Johhhhhnnn"-thingy would be hard to acomplish, I imagine.

No good ideas on the moaning :)

Other than my initial thoughts are that moans elongate the ends of syllables. So if we could break a name into syllables, it would be as easy.

Juiblex said:
No good ideas on the moaning :)

Other than my initial thoughts are that moans elongate the ends of syllables. So if we could break a name into syllables, it would be as easy.

Thats a good idea, but then you need to tell each reader asap at the start of the story " go back and only put the first half of your name in the box!"

At first,sorry, for my bad english. I'm a german chyoo user and since november activ. Becuase of my english it`s very hard to read all the feedback posted here. So I hope most of my suggesitons are new.

Some of the idears are maybe utopistic, but I post them, maybe somebody finds other solutions for the same problem.

-I only noticed that most of the german Literotica users aren`t on this board, I don`t know if there is the same problem with the english users. It is difficultto comunicate with the other authors.
An example for a sugesstion were, that every user gets a small geustbook which everybody can read. I saw that on other forums for.

-I would like if their were a possibilty to add polls in your story. For example I write a celebrity story at the moment and it would be interesting to know which celebrity the other want to appear at next. They could vote the celebrity and I would write a thread with the choosen one.

- I don`t like the rateing system. It would be nice to know who gave the bad mark and why. There are typical reasons (spelling or grammar mistakes, bad content,insipidity,bad expression) maybe you could add the reason to the rateing with one click.

-For the most popular story list it would be more interesting to add the points
or to find an other sytem because there are mostly very short stories who got one rate with 5 points and the longer stories have all rates between 3 and 4 points.

-Further it would be a nice idea if you are able to create some topics for the course and somebody else could write them. Ofcourse you could write them in your story text but that wouldn`t be very beautiful. I hope you understand what I mean, it`s difficult to explain for me. This site has the system I suggest: http://www.bearchive.com/~addventure/
Only the threads with a * are already written.

-Besides a counter for the total number of threads for each story would be more helpful than a counter for the "deepest thread" because you can see how long the story really is and in the updated list if the story got longer or if only somebody rated it.

Last edited:
I think another good idea where new threads are concerned would be a list of new threads somewhere separate from the story map. That way, in stories that have long threads ("Ult. FF", I know as one sure example), you could see the additions made recently, instead of having to explore the whole page.

It would be great if the Comments on a thread were handled like for Literotica stories: editor can make them public or private.

2 further ideas

-An other problem is, there are much stories which are very short, it is the majority. As I already said, it ins`t really helpful to know the deepest thread. I would like if the user could see how long a story is in categories or if there were a symbol which shows how long the story is. It take a lot of time to search stories which have endings.

-I`m a big fan of awards.I personally would love it if there were awards for the best stories of each category, maybe the best new writers, the best writer, the writer who wrote most threads, the best cooperations etc.
It would be perfect if they included german stories or if they had own sections because 90% of non-english stories are german.

Not to be a stick in the mud..... but can we get a check back in from Setic on a response to some of these ideas?

It would be nice to know a timeline, and what changes are going to occur.

Juiblex said:
Not to be a stick in the mud..... but can we get a check back in from Setic on a response to some of these ideas?

It would be nice to know a timeline, and what changes are going to occur.

Just kicking up the Chyoo masthead date to January 2006 would be a good morale booster and indicate concrete positive intentions.

-Z

So I wonder what ever happened to this guy? It has been since December and we have heard nothing. It seemed so promising at the time.

setic said:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a note to let you know I've been following this thread with great interest and to thank you for your suggestions so far. Please keep the ideas flowing.

I don't have time to comment on each suggestion but will venture to say that if they're good, they'll probably make it into the new version.

Though I'm a proponent of the open source movement, CHYOO 3 was commissioned to me by the management of Literotica. I suspect they'd be the first to admit that their attention to CHYOO has been "lacking". However, I've kept a steady dialogue with them the past couple of months and I've gotten the impression that they're prepared to renew their efforts to grow the site, starting with a new version with moderation capabilities and the possibility of a paid, full-time site administrator when the site is complete.

Again, thank you for your suggestions so far and your continued dedication to CHYOO.

setic

Hi everyone,

I'm still here and CHYOO 3 is still happening. Basically the project was given every inducement to begin but due to circumstances out of my control I had to suspend development for several months. The good news is that it appears development will be able to proceed shortly.

Now as a show of gratitude for the great suggestions you've given me so far I'd like to comment briefly on what you can expect to see in the new version. Rather than offer a specific feature list (that would quickly go stale) I'll summarize the important concepts behind CHYOO 3.

CHYOO 3 will adopt a more "trusting" environment; one where stories and threads will be approved and public far more quickly, sometimes immediately. Consequently, CHYOO 3 will require far less maintenance. Self-moderation is the ideal.

CHYOO 3 will offer more collaborative features. The application will either offer these features within the admin itself or interface directly with these forums, or likely a combination of the two.

CHYOO 3 will have a more intuitive, streamlined interface.

CHYOO 3 will be faster and stabler. This will probably be the last major revision. Future enhancements will be slipstreamed into the application on a uninterrupted, ongoing basis.

CHYOO 3 will remain, at its core, an online collaborative incarnation of the Choose Your Own Adventure Book series. I've been tempted to take the path of the '80s text adventure applications but in order to preserve the creativity of the CHYOO author and the original vision of CHYOO, I feel that we should keep things simple.

Finally, and most importantly, CHYOO 3 will be supported. I get the firm impression that the higher ups are ready to take the CHYOO franchise to the next level in terms of promotion and growth.

Oh, and for the gentleman who requested the "moany name" tag feature, I'll add it just because I thought the suggestion was unique and amusing. :)

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

setic

Thanks

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have done considerable work already on the project. Any thoughts on a timeline at this point?

Thanks.

hey all, sorry ive been gone from the forums for a while...i saw the chyoo main page and saw something about chyoo 3.0 and am wondering who is doing it? Is it manu or did someone get manu to help him out?

My suggestion.

Along with spotlights on NEW, FRESH, and TOP stories, I think it'd be cool to have a fourth spotlight, this one on 5 random stories. This would encourage people to notice stories that have been neglected for a long time.

Also, I'd like to be able to see the story maps for stories I haven't added on to yet so I could navigate them easier and get all the branches.

And (I don't know if this has been covered yet) when I'm reading a thread, it doesn't have the thread's name at the top. Sometimes I can't tell which branch it is/was when I back up.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute!

When I tried to open an account at CHYOO3, I couldn't get the username I use for CHYOO2, because "Uncola Man" has a space in the name! Do I need to change my name? CAN I change my name?

Back