CHYOO 3! Need your feedback and suggestions...

Zingiber said:
* Sorting and filtering by date or story would be useful for Feedback, which seems to be an un-ordered jumble.

Sorting and filtering on other items as well, besides the current Search ordering.

A little Idea

Hello.
First, again i apologize for my english.
Second, i hadn´t the time to read all the posts of this topic so if my suggestion was posted somewhere else, please apologize me.

As a Writer that has recieved some Mails over Chyoo-Mail System i found it bad that there where no "Subject", so some Mails went straight into the Litter and from there to Nirvana.
Otherwise there where questions or suggestions i couldn´t allocate to specific Stories. So if someone send a Message with Chyoo-Mail it would be a great help to have at least a Subject like "Chyoo" tor recognize it.
An add from which Story the Mailer had send it would be great.

Easier to manage should it be to add a Line on the Write Page for the Mailer to give a hint about which Storie and Thread he wrote.

Also it would be a Help to give his Username. I had answered Mails with the first question "Who are you on Chyoo ?" because the Username is much different from the E-Mail adress.

Most Senders seems to think i can see it anywhere in the Mail of the Subject.

I´m looking forward for the brand new Chyoo 3 ;)

And all good wishes to you all.

Any updates on CHYOO 3?

Also, do the PTB know that you can't login to Chyoo?

Torg said:
Also, do the PTB know that you can't login to Chyoo?

I believe that Zingiber has been in contact with them. If they've responded in any way, I haven't heard. Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

Okay, this thread hasn't been added to in a few months, but I have some comments.

First comment is actually a question: Where is CHYOO3?
Whenever I try to go to chyoo.net it is just an obscure website with hacks and pop-ups.

Next, I would like to add a suggestion to CHYOO3: add a better new thread interface. Instead of just showing the fresh story show the actual thread, and if the updated thread has more updated threads attached to it, bunch them together instead of waisting space

Thats really all I can think of.

First comment is actually a question: Where is CHYOO3?
Whenever I try to go to chyoo.net it is just an obscure website with hacks and pop-ups.

chyoo.net has been down for two years. CHYOO3 refers to the next version of the regular chyoo.com -- vaporware as it was supposed to be released two years ago. It is currently in version 2. I think version 2 came out in 2002.

Next, I would like to add a suggestion to CHYOO3: add a better new thread interface. Instead of just showing the fresh story show the actual thread, and if the updated thread has more updated threads attached to it, bunch them together instead of waisting space

Thats really all I can think of.
I would love a Freshest Thread list. Good idea.

I made my own Freshest Thread List. I just keep this as a bookmark:

http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/main.thread.list/0///1/1/1/1/6/2

I got that by setting the chyoo search to find the newest threads for the last day, then I bookmarked that page. It takes a sec to load because it has to do the search every time you go there, but other than that it works great.

I have a button for showing my freshest threads, which I want to know more than everyone's freshest threads. But it all depends on what you look at most.

Something I'd like to see is some kind of marker to tell if the story has been added to, edited, or if it was just voted on.

I like the RSS feed idea...kind of like a story subscription to notify you either through the CHYOO interface or via email if one of your favorite stories have been modified (again, either voted upon, edited, or added to).

I don't see why the CHYOO forum "link" couldn't just point to the Lit boards...basically to here.

Any proposals on how to fix the story map?

It seems like the problems with Ultimate Fan Fiction would be remedied with some of the other ideas on this thread. Maybe 10% of those threads are dedicated to initial 'scenario creation'.

As far as a short term fix, perhaps indentation for large thread counts could be reduced.

Or if you wanted to get fancy, I bet you could create a flash app that would let you browse the threads more graphically.

Having a story map view that shows only threads following the current thread might be a simple way to make large stories manageable.

Or one could go to a dynamic HTML view of some sort. Tree map widgets seem to be common currency in user interfaces these days. No Flash, please. Please.

-Z.

(looking over this thread since Manu mentioned he had read over it recently)

Better new chapter listings and story tree

I would like to see a better method of locating new chapters. Especially in the longer stories , it is nearly impossible to find out where the new chapter has been added. A small red dot next to the chapter heading a) requires you to search though all of the story trying to find it and b) is often hard to spot. Also, the site has a weird schedule for removing the red dot; sometimes just coming to the site resets them if you leave, other times they hang around for a week or more. My preferred method would be 'new until you view'. This would also make any stories you haven't read show up as all red, which I find useful since you would know exactly what you have read and how deeply.

Also, there is the problem that the story tree truncates into progressively more and more vertical listings if there are enough chapters and the problem that having to scroll right makes it hard to follow. The use of subnumbering is also hard to follow if there is a large skipdown; some kind of arrows would be better (ala Choose Your Own Change).

Ultimate Fanfiction is the exemplar for these issues.

Missing thread

I just submitted a thread to "the light", but it appears to have vanished into the ether. It would be really helpful if the pages were coded in a way that if something went wrong, you could hit back and your story would still be there, rather than the page blanking and destroying your work.

UPDATE: I posted another chapter in the same position, but I think my first version was better than this rewrite. Apparently if you take the time to write the story in window, then your login times out, then when you hit add, it goes to the login screen and FLUSHES THE STORY, then returns you to the original thread with all your work destroyed. Since going to any other page also clears the screen, that means that if you happen to timeout, there is no way to retrieve your work! This is a major system flaw.

Last edited:
Yeah, that definitely sucks. I always write my threads in a Word document, then paste them into the page in case something like that happens. It would definitely be great if Chyoo could handle that stuff better.

Feedback

An annoying point: Why are the newer feedbacks at the bottom of the feedback page? It would be much better if this worked the other way. I don't really care if someone didn't like my story 2 years ago; if I was gong to try and fix it, I would have already. I would, however, prefer not to have to go through several pages of stuff to determine if I have new feedback or not.

Also, some kind of call out that you have new feedback would be good; right now you just have to check the page all the time.

Additionally, it would be nice if I could reply to the feedbacker (not necessarily knowing who it is) and if they could come back and change their rating if I go in and address the concern.

An annoying point: Why are the newer feedbacks at the bottom of the feedback page? It would be much better if this worked the other way. I don't really care if someone didn't like my story 2 years ago; if I was gong to try and fix it, I would have already. I would, however, prefer not to have to go through several pages of stuff to determine if I have new feedback or not.

Also, some kind of call out that you have new feedback would be good; right now you just have to check the page all the time.

Additionally, it would be nice if I could reply to the feedbacker (not necessarily knowing who it is) and if they could come back and change their rating if I go in and address the concern.

Personally, I'd like to be able to sort feedback. Right now, it's pretty random. I have many pages of feedback, and often new ones are in the middle, and I must go through page by page to find it. They appear to be in no particular order. Definitely not date order, or story order, or anything I can discern. Even if they were grouped by story and in some date order, I'd be happier.

I think the feedback is more or less sorted by thread date (the date the thread was added, or maybe when it was approved).

I think the feedback is more or less sorted by thread date (the date the thread was added, or maybe when it was approved).

My feedback has a lot of data points (29 pages), and they are not ordered by thread creation or modification date. The former, though at first glance appears to be true, is violated on my feedback list all the time. If it were the latter, the feedback would change order every time people rated the thread.

It's is probably some combination of elements that determine the order of the feedback list. Still a very strange semi-random order.

is this going anywhere? I am just curious, cause I have seen the "coming soon" message for a while now... I am beginning to think Blizzard is designing it now. ;)

Seems unlikely at best. It was hyped years ago, and that was about it. Others here could do a better job than I retelling the history of Chyoo, such as it is.

A problem I found

It bothers me the only way to delete one of are own posts is to mark it to be deleted by requesting on the page for it to be deleted by making it a worthless post that says please delete. And then flagging said post, personally I think a writer should have some right to delete there own posts. But for some reason we don't have the boxes in are thread list to do it, and we can't do it from options at the bottom of every list, it's clear a function like deleting a post should always ask are you sure. To make sure in case you accidentally mark it to be deleted said post is not deleted.

Or the fact I have noticed if I log in as Mazer or mazer the name is counted as two different writers and only by logging in as one or the other can I edit my own threads or story. And the fact you can make a Chyoo2 user name without getting the rights to the forum Username. Primarily the reason I post as Rackham but write as Mazer. And the Vote counter is broken as well.

I have noticed a few other things but for the most part this is the primary issue I have had so far, Besides the mail from website comments not having a subject.

And what I would like to see on the site would be:

Most popular listed by number of views not by votes or what have you as a whole or Favorites = number of views.

Cheers!!!!

Mazer

Last edited:
I am not so bold as to take the name Ender

Lets be honest, this name is that but at the same time it's important to note that if I was able to or if someone forced me to I would change my name as quickly as required. Fact is, I fancy myself a thinker. Sure Mazer Rackham was not so much a thinker as a man struck with luck. But the fact is the theme of the story suggests what I want to suggest.

Of course I am not 50 something years old and I did not travel in space at light speed to prevent aging, so all and all I am happy someone got the reference.

Mazer

Yeah i love the ender's series. I have all the books including the shadow series. :)

Back