CHYOO 3! Need your feedback and suggestions...

UncolaMan said:
Also, I'd like to be able to see the story maps for stories I haven't added on to yet so I could navigate them easier and get all the branches.
You can get story maps for stories you haven't added to. If you bookmark threads, they get bumped to the top when they get added to, and then you can read them. But you have to be logged in to read any story maps. Or just search for the story and read, then map using the link at the bottom of the page.

One thing that has stopped working is the email reminders when people approve your threads.

UncolaMan said:
When I tried to open an account at CHYOO3, I couldn't get the username I use for CHYOO2, because "Uncola Man" has a space in the name! Do I need to change my name? CAN I change my name?

I'm not trying to sound patronizing, I'm just saying this in case you dont know!

chyoo.com and chyoo.NET(chyoo3) are totally seperate entities. chyoo.net was started by a fellow chyooster when THIS chyoo was 'frozen' for a long period of time. Unfortunantly for him, soon after chyoo.net was created, this chyoo got some moderators and started rolling again!

chyoo.net has a feature that I really like that isnt on this chyoo though (yet!) and that is the ability to have as MANY personalised names in a story as you want. ( compared to the 2 limit here, which is still great....I LOVE CHYOO! :nana: )

Strange

Torg said:
One thing that has stopped working is the email reminders when people approve your threads.

That's strange because I still get them? I wonder why it would only work some of the time?

UncolaMan said:
Also, I'd like to be able to see the story maps for stories I haven't added on to yet so I could navigate them easier and get all the branches.

At the bottom of the regular reading page for a thread, there are three links. One of them is the story map. If you click it, you get a story map with the current thread highlighted in bold text.

view story map | bookmark thread | report thread

Or am I just confused because you're talking about chyoo.net?
-Z

I think there should be another option for "thread-editing". I can't count the # of times a thread has been added after one I've written, & the new thread has nothing to do with what I wrote. (Not just continuity, but sometimes different people, or even no connection at all to the story.)

Somebody, perhaps the writer of the previous thread, should be able to correct this.

TJChurch said:
I think there should be another option for "thread-editing". I can't count the # of times a thread has been added after one I've written, & the new thread has nothing to do with what I wrote. (Not just continuity, but sometimes different people, or even no connection at all to the story.)

Somebody, perhaps the writer of the previous thread, should be able to correct this.
The editor can, and moderators can.

If the editor doesn't take care of it, use the Report Thread link at the bottom to let the moderators know. Also used for outlawed threads, such as underage sex.

You definitely need a link to the forum on the main page. I didn't even know this place existed until I noticed it mentioned in the FAQ. (And was that added recently? I could have sworn it wasn't there the last time I read it...)

I've been surprised at how empty the forum seems...I think there'd be a lot more discussion and probably a lot more stories written if this place was only a little more accessible.

Hear hear!

Jtzmm said:
You definitely need a link to the forum on the main page. I didn't even know this place existed until I noticed it mentioned in the FAQ. (And was that added recently? I could have sworn it wasn't there the last time I read it...)

I've been surprised at how empty the forum seems...I think there'd be a lot more discussion and probably a lot more stories written if this place was only a little more accessible.

I second that. I'd heard of this forum a long time ago, but hadn't really taken the time to hunt for it. Finally when I was searching for where to lodge complaints (I'm happy now:) ), I looked everywhere I could and I think I found this place through dumb luck.

Torg said:
It would be great if the Comments on a thread were handled like for Literotica stories: editor can make them public or private.
Comments

Currently, there are three kinds of comments on a thread:
(1) User comments left when rating a thread (1-5 scale),
(2) Author comments left when the thread is created or edited,
(3) Editor comments left when the thread is approved or edited by the editor.

I think all comments should be integrated into a single comment system. User comments could be either anonymous or signed at the user's discretion. Author comments aren't really useful, I think. Maybe give authors an email link to the editor when they add a thread. Editor comments should always be signed. Then you can take this previous suggestion and let editors decide if a story's comments are public or private.

Any more suggestions for comments?

Torg said:
Comments

Currently, there are three kinds of comments on a thread:
(1) User comments left when rating a thread (1-5 scale),
(2) Author comments left when the thread is created or edited,
(3) Editor comments left when the thread is approved or edited by the editor.

I think all comments should be integrated into a single comment system. User comments could be either anonymous or signed at the user's discretion. Author comments aren't really useful, I think. Maybe give authors an email link to the editor when they add a thread. Editor comments should always be signed. Then you can take this previous suggestion and let editors decide if a story's comments are public or private.

Any more suggestions for comments?

I use author comments to hint to the next "Add New Thread" author about possible directions to follow up, or to communicate with the editor re the thread, so I find them useful.

I'd prefer it if user comments shouldn't require one to choose a rating. Sometimes it might be a suggestion that could help improve the thread, which could then increase in rating.

-Z

Abandoned Stories

The other thing I would like to see is that stories are not wholesale pulled over to the new site. Each editor should have to login and move their stories over so we can leave all the abandoned deadwood behind. Maybe the dead stories could all be put in one directory and marked as being abandoned so they would be open for reassignment such as been happening informally on the boards here. It is just frustrating to be a writer and not know if the thread you write will ever be approved.

jakelyon said:
The other thing I would like to see is that stories are not wholesale pulled over to the new site. Each editor should have to login and move their stories over so we can leave all the abandoned deadwood behind. Maybe the dead stories could all be put in one directory and marked as being abandoned so they would be open for reassignment such as been happening informally on the boards here. It is just frustrating to be a writer and not know if the thread you write will ever be approved.
This is a good idea. I just got the happy news that Lost at Sea is not abandoned. Woo hoo!

I like the idea of transferring everything, but leaving anything with unapproved threads older than something like one month in an orphanage.

A few suggestions from the perspective of a reader rather than an author:

1. A more powerful advanced search feature should be implemented, allowing the user to filter stories based on deepest thread and total number of threads.

2. Some facility should be in place to help the reader keep track of threads visited to facilitate fully exploring all of the branches of a particular story.

3. Each story should have its own linked discussion/feedback/suggestions thread.

jakelyon said:

Good idea! It'll be nice knowing that all the stories are active, at least for a little while, and with fewer to focus on it's likely they'll be read more and subsequently get more threads added to them.

One feature I've seen on a different site is a 'weeding' process that automatically deletes stories that haven't been updated in a while. The more threads a story has, the longer it has before it's removed. That may be a bit too drastic a move for here, but as far as I can see it actually helps attract authors, especially since the 'at risk' stories are listed a week or so in advance, so they can be rescued by being added to if anyone has a mind to do it.

But what about stories which are complete? Those certainly shouldn't be deleted for inactivity. If anything they should get a big gold star next to them because many people only want to read complete stories.

sunandshadow said:
But what about stories which are complete? Those certainly shouldn't be deleted for inactivity. If anything they should get a big gold star next to them because many people only want to read complete stories.

An interesting point, but I don't think it is possible to "complete" an entire story on Chyoo. There is always a thread that has an open option.

Take a story with 4 options off the main thread, to complete all possible story lines with even 5 or 6 threads deep would create over 4,000 different possible options. If someone has done it I would be happy to take a look.

Maybe if there is a story that the editor/creator is happy with as is the story could be moved to a closed category and marked as closed so everyone knows it is a "complete" story in the opinion of the creator/editor. That way no one would try to add to a closed, or intentionally abandoned story.

This theads so long now I cant remember if I said this or not so forgive if I'm digging up the same words,

I'd really like the function to have as many personalised names in a story as you want, right now its 2 and they're supposed to be for the first name/last name, I'd like it if it was clear what each name was for, eg: 1st name=male protagonist 2nd name=sidekick.

I know I've brought this up in other threads but I love the idea of an orgy with all participants being people you KNOW etc, and make it easier to add the names, instead of {FIRST_NAME} {LAST_NAME} make it {A} {B} {C} {D} {E} etc, much easier to type and keeps the typing flow going ( for me anyway! )

P.s I didnt think of these ideas, its how it is on the .net chyoo and I really liked using the function and would love to see them implemented here.

jakelyon said:
An interesting point, but I don't think it is possible to "complete" an entire story on Chyoo. There is always a thread that has an open option.

Take a story with 4 options off the main thread, to complete all possible story lines with even 5 or 6 threads deep would create over 4,000 different possible options. If someone has done it I would be happy to take a look.

Maybe if there is a story that the editor/creator is happy with as is the story could be moved to a closed category and marked as closed so everyone knows it is a "complete" story in the opinion of the creator/editor. That way no one would try to add to a closed, or intentionally abandoned story.

But, what is the cut off date for inactivity?

Hey,

Heads up: CHYOO 3 is still at least 6 weeks away. I apologize for the long delay but I guarantee you that it'll be worth the wait.

setic

setic said:
Hey,

Heads up: CHYOO 3 is still at least 6 weeks away. I apologize for the long delay but I guarantee you that it'll be worth the wait.

setic

Six weeks is nothing after waiting for over two years. Any chance you could fill us in on some addtional details?

I just had a great idea. It would be helpful if some of the various tables could be downloadable.

The tables of Stories, Threads, Bookmarks and Feedback would be great, even with simple CSV format. New stories, Fresh stories, and Top Stories would also be grand.

Torg said:
I just had a great idea. It would be helpful if some of the various tables could be downloadable.

The tables of Stories, Threads, Bookmarks and Feedback would be great, even with simple CSV format. New stories, Fresh stories, and Top Stories would also be grand.

* An RSS feed for a member's Stories and Feedback lists would be useful, as well as the New Stories and Most Recently Updated stories from the front page.

Or has that already been suggested?

* Sorting and filtering by date or story would be useful for Feedback, which seems to be an un-ordered jumble.

-Z

Back