Change in vagina due to menopause?

midwestmomlvr

Really Experienced
I have a question for the women on this forum, but men should feel free to chime in also if they’ve experienced the same thing.

My wife is in her mid-50’s and for the last year or so her (normally amazing) vaginal secretions are a deterrent to me wanting to go down on her. If I’m being honest, her smell is downright repulsive and smells like green onions. She recently brought this up to her OB/GYN and was told the change was likely due to menopause. Other than that, the doctor didn’t provide any recommendations for how she might try and change her “body chemistry.” For me this is a HUGE downer because I am very oral and love giving oral sex. Due to her unpleasant smell and taste though, I haven’t even attempted to go down on her.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, what did you do (if anything) to remedy the situation?

My wife dried up after menopause. It also started to hurt with penetration. Shes not into hormone stuff because of the cancer risk. Yes she did have localized appendix cancer but not due to that. She didnt want to risk it.
So what did i do;
Well, i found comfort in sexual activity with other men. Im not attracted to guys where i want a relationship, just the shared sexual release. I can tell you a mans ass is incredible to fuck. I loved eating my wife out too but shes not into that anymore. So i find comfort with giving and receiving oral with men. I must admit i love pleasing another person sexually and find great erotic fun. Just a thought. If your straight, thats understandable but dont dismiss it until youve tried it.

I never noticed an unusual or different smell when my wife went through menopause. Unfortunately, it became too painful for her to have intercourse, so we had to stop.

My partner has had no change in smell - but we do have to treat each penetration as "virginal" and use a lot of lube to get past the gates. Once slowly warmed up - all is well.

Guys! Get your wives on vaginal estrogen cream. Stays local, keeps the pussy young without cancer risk!
Thought any of those things are cancer causing. Mine is like the other. Wont let me go dont on her(thinks its dirty now) Yes very dry and painful and she wont let me near her. Even to rub the head of my cock on the entrance makes her jump. So miss being inside her. But i did see something in the news on something new and not canacer causing... I respect my wife and her body, but what are we supposed to do with our sexual energy? Hand and cock not playing well...

Guys! Get your wives on vaginal estrogen cream. Stays local, keeps the pussy young without cancer risk!
My wife dried up after menopause. It also started to hurt with penetration.

Vaginal oestrogen does not have the same risks as other types of HRT because the dose is low, and little of the medicine gets into the rest of your body. It can take up to 3 months to work fully, so no PIV sex whilst it takes effect.

My wife dried up after menopause. It also started to hurt with penetration.

Vaginal oestrogen does not have the same risks as other types of HRT because the dose is low, and little of the medicine gets into the rest of your body. It can take up to 3 months to work fully, so no PIV sex whilst it takes effect.
The preferred delivery method? I'd slip on a condom and slather it up, here you go honey, I've got your med right here.

My wife is long past menopause and the rare time I manage to get down there she smells and tastes just fine. The problem for us at age 66 is it's just more difficult to reach orgasm. So, we keep toys and lube handy and enjoy each other as best we can.

Menopause made her a little dry, but lube fixed that problem. The other noticeable effect was a decline in spontaneity, but sex on Wednesday afternoon is still regular sex and she would still get a little adventurous/kinky. So in that regard menopause was kind to us, and my wife was relieved not to have to deal with periods anymore. We might not have been at it like randy twenty-somethings, but we were still at it.

Autoimmune problems, on the other hand are the devil's way of destroying a happy marriage.

Last edited:
Guys! Your wives can make their own medical decisions about their own bodies!
This thread is terribly insulting & minimizes the very real, other issues that accompany menopause, such as depression and self esteem issues. Being "dried up," as it's so callously coined here is quite literally just 1 of a slew of problems associated with menopause.
A 𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜 OBGYN is definitely needed but also maybe a therapist. I mean, I'd certainly want a therapist if, bare minimum, my husband only cared about not getting a good suck & fuck in. Yes, men have needs, but I'd argue that a woman suffering through menopause has even greater needs, the chief of those being the need for support, patience, & consideration.

I don't think we are trying to be disrespectful to our wives / women, we are sharing our expereinces of life. Yes, maybe we use crude langague, but that's how men sometimes talk. This subject, like many, many subjects on this site allow us to find out we are "not the only ones" with this. From bisexuality to other interests, we now know we are not alone and wondering if we have somethig unique going on. I apprciate the honesty shared on this thread and most others.

This thread is terribly insulting & minimizes the very real, other issues that accompany menopause, such as depression and self esteem issues. Being "dried up," as it's so callously coined here is quite literally just 1 of a slew of problems associated with menopause.
A 𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜 OBGYN is definitely needed but also maybe a therapist. I mean, I'd certainly want a therapist if, bare minimum, my husband only cared about not getting a good suck & fuck in. Yes, men have needs, but I'd argue that a woman suffering through menopause has even greater needs, the chief of those being the need for support, patience, & consideration
All good points and ones us males should heed…

Having said that, I think there is some jocular humor and though crude, it’s coming from a place of caring and love. I agree with an above poster, lots of times this is the only place we men can come and find like minded folks who have/are walking the same path and can feel free to ask questions…hopefully judgment free.😊

Here is a copy and paste from a PM I have with some things that may be of interest to the OP…the suppositories she uses are a chocolate smell, so it may help with his olfactory issues…

Everything is organic but if she’s interested just do some due diligence and research everything.

The creme she uses is called Silky Peachy Crème…the web site was Parlorgames.com or org (I think). Should be able to just put it in the search.

It won’t let me upload a pic but the name of the other creme is Organic excellence Balance Plus Therapy
organicexcellece.com

The oil is a CBD based sort of thing used for arousal. I can attest that it works as she puts it on me also! I’ll get you the name later.

PS here is the crème web: https://www.parlor-games.com/shop/SPCMASTER.html

The CBD oil is called BHRT naturals…

DEAH oil. I think what she uses is the progesterone crème out of this…

I have a question for the women on this forum, but men should feel free to chime in also if they’ve experienced the same thing.

My wife is in her mid-50’s and for the last year or so her (normally amazing) vaginal secretions are a deterrent to me wanting to go down on her. If I’m being honest, her smell is downright repulsive and smells like green onions. She recently brought this up to her OB/GYN and was told the change was likely due to menopause. Other than that, the doctor didn’t provide any recommendations for how she might try and change her “body chemistry.” For me this is a HUGE downer because I am very oral and love giving oral sex. Due to her unpleasant smell and taste though, I haven’t even attempted to go down on her.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, what did you do (if anything) to remedy the situation?
Yes. In addition to losing a lot of her natural lubrication, the odor from her vagina has become very strong. After she goes to the bathroom, for example, I have a hard time using the toilet because of the smell. She doesn’t shower every day but she has started wiping her vagina with a warm wet washcloth daily as well as before we play. The Premarin cream she was prescribed for the dryness was supposed to help with the odor too but she never uses it anymore.

She actually never noticed the smell (nose deaf?) until I said something.

My SO uses Hyaluronic acid, I forget the brand name. It works amazingly well, as sex used to be painful for her, but not since she started using it.

Yes. When my wife started going the change, her smell and taste changed for the worse as well. The wife of one the couples we played with also went through the same thing, but not nearly as bad as my wife. Luckily it only lasted a few months and pretty much returned to her normal smell and taste, maybe a little stronger than before, but not nearly as bad as it was.
Menopause really didn't change her sex drive or natural lubrication until a few years ago, and I still think the trauma of breaking her hip and having a full replacement really helped accelerate some of the effects of menopause. Now she has no natural lubrication and even with lube, vaginal sex is a no go. But she still enjoys the occasional fingering and clit play to orgasm and doesn't hesitate to deep throat me whenever I ask. Which isn't that often anymore. Dam, I'm getting old.

Back