Beer club

Umm...no you didn't. Who picked you up off the floor?

I'm a pro, don't try this at home.

Back in June on the summer solstice my son-in-law and I brewed a 12% abv Barleywine. Tapped that keg tonight. It has a nice tawny color, it's sweet and viscous. Solstice to solstice. Aged for half a trip around the sun. It was good.

I'm a pro, don't try this at home.

Back in June on the summer solstice my son-in-law and I brewed a 12% abv Barleywine. Tapped that keg tonight. It has a nice tawny color, it's sweet and viscous. Solstice to solstice. Aged for half a trip around the sun. It was good.

Time to put it in a whiskey barrel for another half year?

Time to put it in a whiskey barrel for another half year?

I wish I could get small enough barrels. The kegs are only 5 gals. Most barrels i see are much larger than that. It will still age nicely in its keg.. I could throw oak chips, or bourbon soaked oak in, if I were inclined. Not this one though. Just gonna let it get old, it'll keep getting better with age.

What are you sipping on tonight?

I wish I could get small enough barrels. The kegs are only 5 gals. Most barrels i see are much larger than that. It will still age nicely in its keg.. I could throw oak chips, or bourbon soaked oak in, if I were inclined. Not this one though. Just gonna let it get old, it'll keep getting better with age.

What are you sipping on tonight?

A chianti that went well with the pizza.

I understand the object of stilling, but, has anyone woodchipped a steel keg and seen results?

(going with general aging)

The Three Floyds Christmas porter, Alpha Klaus, is pretty decent. I'm usually going to try anything I see of theirs.

One of the benefits of our recent trip back to Texas was a chance to sample the Rahr Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer, which has got to be one of my favorite five beers ever. Barrel aged is not much of a novelty in 2018, but there's just something very Christmas-y about this one.

I'm told that the 2016 Big Woody that was served last evening on the 12th day of Barleywine at Glacier Brewhouse was excellent. You can never go wrong choosing Big Woody.

I understand the object of stilling, but, has anyone woodchipped a steel keg and seen results?

(going with general aging)

Absolutely, you can buy the oak pieces, cut into spirals for greater surface area. Or chips, and I have. You can buy them in American oak, French oak and various chars. I've used them. In the fermenter, not keg, and soaked some in whiskey, some in brandy. It works.

That's what she said... :D

sorry. Couldn't resist

I was waiting for that ;) Welcome BB :)

No beer tonight. I drank a half bottle of Chilean Cab with dinner, then three Bulleit Rye Old Fashions afterwards. I make those with my maple syrup instead of sugar. They are fucking tasty.

I'm gonna share with my boozy friends here, my Swedish Glögg recipe. Passed down from my mother-in-law who was born in Sweden. I just put a pot of it on the stove so that the flavors will meld in time for Christmas Eve. I made a double batch, but this is the single batch recipe as I've modified it for current bottle sizes.

1 750 ml bottle of cheap port wine
10 oz. vodka
1/2 cup raisins
1 Cinnamon stick
A pinch of cardamon seeds
a couple pinches of sliced blanched almonds
2 oz. of simple syrup (sugar and water in equal parts boiled together then cooled)

Put in a pan and heat until steaming. Do not boil. Light the mixture and cover with a lid immediately to extinguish the flame. Do that again. Ideally, let sit for a day. Serve warm (150/180 degrees) in tea cups or coffee cups with the raisins and spices in each cupful. Don't boil, you will burn off the alcohol!

Enjoy. this shit is good.

Btw, MIL said bourbon is interchangeable with the vodka. But I prefer vodka.

Absolutely, you can buy the oak pieces, cut into spirals for greater surface area. Or chips, and I have. You can buy them in American oak, French oak and various chars. I've used them. In the fermenter, not keg, and soaked some in whiskey, some in brandy. It works.

I'm going to bet that the beer in a stainless keg wouldn't age the the same as in a wooden keg. Not that you can't add flavors..

I was waiting for that ;) Welcome BB :)

No beer tonight. I drank a half bottle of Chilean Cab with dinner, then three Bulleit Rye Old Fashions afterwards. I make those with my maple syrup instead of sugar. They are fucking tasty.

I figured it was coming when I set it up. The remainder of the Chianti tonight and a port.

I'm gonna share with my boozy friends here, my Swedish Glögg recipe. Passed down from my mother-in-law who was born in Sweden. I just put a pot of it on the stove so that the flavors will meld in time for Christmas Eve. I made a double batch, but this is the single batch recipe as I've modified it for current bottle sizes.

10 oz. vodka
1/2 cup raisins
1 Cinnamon stick
2 oz. of simple syrup (sugar and water in equal parts boiled together then cooled)

Put in a pan and heat until steaming. Do not boil. Light the mixture and cover with a lid immediately to extinguish the flame. Do that again. Ideally, let sit for a day. Serve warm (150/180 degrees) in tea cups or coffee cups with the raisins and spices in each cupful. Don't boil, you will burn off the alcohol!

I have some Glug in a jar in the fridge from last year.

tumblr_pk829sq34T1s1fzkeo3_540.jpg

And "Oh my!"

tumblr_lf202z82jB1qebtmvo1_640.jpg

I have my ticket for the 2019 fest.

i will see all y'all at the Saturday connoisseurs session.

10 oz. vodka
1/2 cup raisins
1 Cinnamon stick

Of course you've already vaped off some of the alcohol by bringing it to steam but sometimes you gotta sacrifice a bit on the road to perfection.

Honestly, though, it sounds pretty hideous to me. I'm the sort who might give it a try anyway but that does not sound appealing to me. Raisins and vodka? Cheap port wine and syrup? Lord, hon, I trust you when you say it's good, but it sounds like a recipe for a bad patent medicine.

No offense to your mother-in-law. I'm sure she's a wonderful woman.

Of course you've already vaped off some of the alcohol by bringing it to steam but sometimes you gotta sacrifice a bit on the road to perfection.

Honestly, though, it sounds pretty hideous to me. I'm the sort who might give it a try anyway but that does not sound appealing to me. Raisins and vodka? Cheap port wine and syrup? Lord, hon, I trust you when you say it's good, but it sounds like a recipe for a bad patent medicine.

No offense to your mother-in-law. I'm sure she's a wonderful woman.

Glögg is fantastic. There are many recipes. Some better than others.

Back