What are you reading at the moment?

Currently reading Tiger by the Tail by John Ringo and Ryan Sear. You can tell where Ringo let Sear do the writing, some things are just not the way you'd expect in this series. Hoping this isn't the coffin in the nail for the series.
 
Reading "The King in Yellow," by Robert Chambers. "A Confederacy of Dunces" is still in progress and probably will be for a while... Can't quite focus these days. But TKIY is on my Kindle, which allows me to enlarge the font. :)
 
The first ten issues of Warren's Creepy magazine compiled in a hardcover edition.

I have all the originals, but its easier to read the hardcover than to find the mag, take it out of the plastic put it away, get the next one etc...
 
Decided to postpone Daniel Suarez and grab the latest Faith Hunter novel instead. I feel like a dose of vampire... :)


blackarts.jpg
 
The first ten issues of Warren's Creepy magazine compiled in a hardcover edition.

I have all the originals, but its easier to read the hardcover than to find the mag, take it out of the plastic put it away, get the next one etc...

I love all the old Creepy, Eerie and EC Hardcovers. Especially the stuff Bernie Wrightson did. Currently reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.
 
Decided to postpone Daniel Suarez and grab the latest Faith Hunter novel instead. I feel like a dose of vampire... :)


Well, got that one finished pretty fast. :rolleyes:

Good book though. I can recommend Faith Hunters Yellowrock series to people who are tired of the endless bouts of poorly written sex and whiny melodrama in the later Anita Blake books and prefer a bit more badassery in their stories. Actually a lot more. :cool:







But enough vampires. It's time for some witches and demons with book#12 of Kim Harrison's Hollow series.

1393294413000-The-Undead-Pool.jpg


I've been following the series since book #1 (Dead Witch Walking) so naturally I'm eager to see what Ms. Harrison has cooked up this time... :)
 
"Black Skies" by Arnaldur Indridason. An award-winning murder mystery set in Iceland.
 
John Grisham's The Racketeer and Donna Leon's Quietly in Their Sleep
 
A collection of Jeremy Clarkson's pieces for The Times, Is It Really Too Much To Ask? It's typical Clarkson; but then I find typical Clarkson quite entertaining. :)
 
But enough vampires. It's time for some witches and demons with book#12 of Kim Harrison's Hollow series.


The book was good, but not quite up to the earlier instalments in the series. It will end with the next book and you can tell that Kim Harrison is busy wrapping stuff up and preparing for a happy ever after ending for her main characters.

:)
 

...The massive scar under the bandana on Robinson's hairless pate seems to have made a deep impression on Hunt, as if a symbol, in puckered flesh, of what lay further up the Missouri. Old photographs of scalping victims— survivors were more common than is thought— call to mind circus clowns in the utterly bald, peeled-bare top of the victim's head, with frizzed tufts of hair protruding on the sides and a narrow fringe of locks running above the forehead.

Hunt surely also heard how it had been done. To scalp, the perpetrator typically turned his victim— dead or alive— facedown on the earth. With a knife— a stone knife in the pre-European days, and metal thereafter— he scored around the top of the head, cutting through the scalp to the underlying bone of the skull. Seizing a forelock of hair in his hand and placing one knee in the victim's back, the perpetrator then gave a sharp upward jerk and ripped the large flap of scalp with its hair intact clean off the victim's skull. Victims who were still alive at this point later reported that the tearing sounded like "distant thunder." The blood loss, of course, was considerable, but stanching factors, such as cold or the raggedness of the tear, could constrict the blood vessels quickly and slow the loss...

...Whatever it meant for survivors, for Native American tribes the act of a scalping held special meaning beyond simple vengeance. This close personal contact with the enemy and the removal of part of his person allowed the victor to absorb the victim's power. Once removed, the fleshy underside of the scalp was scraped clean and stretched over a wooden hoop. This was mounted on a tall shaft and displayed aloft as a ceremonial trophy. Though some suggest that Europeans first introduced scalping to Native Americans, other evidence indicates the practice existed long before white men arrived in Sioux or Blackfeet territory. Archaeologists digging near this same section of the Missouri discovered a massacre site from tribe-against-tribe warfare that dates to the 1300s. It contains nearly five hundred human skeletons. According to archaeological interpretation, most of the skulls display the stone-knife scores of scalping...


-Peter Stark
Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire, A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival
New York, N.Y. 2014.






John Jacob Astor's attempt to establish a West Coast fur trading post is a little-known and largely forgotten episode in the very earliest days of U.S. continental exploration and expansion.

Following closely (1810-1814) on the heels of the Lewis and Clark expedition (1804-06), Astor spent gargantuan amounts funding contemporaneous trans-continental colonizers and a Cape Horn-rounding ship in an effort to create a fur trading post at the mouth of the Columbia River.

The book is interesting on a number of levels. It is, by necessity, something of a biography of John Jacob Astor (ever wonder about the origins of the fortune that underlay the Waldorf Astoria?) The fur trading business was as much responsible for the penetration of the interior of the North American continent as any other factor. Furs that could be purchased with $2 worth of beads and pots could be sold in China for thousands of dollars. There's lots to read and learn about the Canadian voyageurs of the Hudson's Bay and Northwest Companies. The book is a good account of the second well-documented crossing of the American continent by adventurer/explorers.

Stark's prose is a little rough in places. The entrancing nature of the story bails him out.



 
What am I reading?

I've just finished "Travelling With Mr Turner" by Nigel C. Winter who documents his recreation, in 2007, of a trip Edward Turner, and a small party of associates, made, in 1953, from Land's End to John O'Groats on three, then new, 150 cc Triumph Terrier motorcycles.

At the same time - I'm almost finished with "Russian Voices" by Tony Parker - a collection of recorded interviews with ordinary Russian citizens.
 
Brazil: The Troubled Rise of a Global Power, by Michael Reid, in preparation for a trip. And starting The Pale House, a mystery by Luke McCallin, a new writer for me.
 
"One Night on Aquila Island" right here on lit by DoctorHook.
FABULOUS bro/sis tale. So hot and sweet. This guy is major talent.
 
I FEEL MUCH BETTER Now That I've Given Up Hope, by Ashleigh Brilliant
 
Insurgent, a YA Divergent trilogy. The first book in the trilogy was interesting, but the second drags a bit in the middle. I know the first was made into a movie, but I haven't seen it yet, comes out on Redbox early August I think. I'd be interested how they adapted it to a big screen.
 
Back
Top