Chyoo is great..why doesn't it get updated?

I read the whole post, but as far as replying, I stopped here, as I feel I've already made it clear that is not what I think.

So, you have stopped directing your frustration about the state of CHYOO at the moderators? It didn't sound like it after the 'this little work' remark, thus my comment.
 
yaya back on topic...

If you could have annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny features in the world for a site like CHYOO what would you pick?
 
Btw I've registered on http://www.cyoea.com/ the other day and it clearly isn't ready to be considered an alternative to chyoo yet.





Torg, can't you try to contact the admins letting them know the 1st thing that shuld be upgraded on their site is chyoo?
In the last months\years I've seen a huge amount of dedicated work on the main literotica site and tbo I cannot believe they can't\couldn't spend 5-10% of their developement time to work on Chyoo. That's just stupid, and frustrating.

There're only 2 things really needed: an update\remake and then more visibility on the main site.
I'd bet my house they would get a >>100% more visitors in no time.
 
Last edited:
Btw I've registered on http://www.cyoea.com/ the other day and it clearly isn't ready to be considered an alternative to chyoo yet.

I did this too, and this was my impression as well. Lots of stuff doesn't work on this site.


Torg, can't you try to contact the admins letting them know the 1st thing that shuld be upgraded on their site is chyoo?

I have contacted them many times in the past and nothing has ever come of it.
 
I posted a phonenumber, an address and an email address a week or so ago. Don't know if any of them work though.
 
I think we are all more worried that if we start calling them they will pull the site down completely rather than update it.
 
To be honest Literotica itself is a site which looks very out of date and requires a massive overhaul. Several sections of the site are broken and this has been the case for awhile now.

While it gets the job done Literotica is hardly pushing the envelope in terms of aesthetics or boundaries is it. How old is the naked woman picture on the front page?

The problem is nothing ever seems to change or get fixed. Chyoo is just a larger part of that picture unfortunatly.
 
I vote the masters of chyoo feel free to get ads so long as they don't bog down the browser,But what do people really want to change (IChyoo)? Until you asked for an update I hadn't really thought about it.
____________________________________________
Office Furniture
 
Yo, longtime user of Chyoo ... haven't posted here (in forever, I think?). edit: apparently, I've been here longer than I thought

It's a great idea. I love it. It's as old as balls though. I'm /really/ surprised no one else has tried to make a spin off site. I'd join it in a second. Chyoo is just too old.

Here are the features CHYOO needs. If it got them, it'd generate money, provided you had the right ads.

1. Some more variable functionality, First/Last name is great, but you could even give the site some roleplaying aspect, allowing authors to input additional variables for readers to choose (such as gender, skin, hair, etc.); perhaps there'd be no limit on the number of variables you could customize? Might be a little complicated.

2. Better branching ability. Right now you're constrained to 4 (somehow I see more than 4 in some stories) options.

3. Easier to follow story map (no annoying scrolling), preferably top-down instead of horizontal. Maybe with boxes –*a flow chart.

4. Being able to propose a whole thread at once, right now you can only propose a single option one at a time until the author okay's your posts.

5. To encourage better writing, maybe higher rating nets you a fancy title in an attached forum, or maybe some user options, or something. I dunno.

6. Maybe some incentive to end a story / threads, so that we don't have hundreds of undead stories.

It really wouldn't be hard to take Chyoo, clean it up, and make some bux. I know the format of chyoo would become popular, and with enough users, we could see hundreds of stories being chock full of options, instead of stories containing 1-2 half-completed threads.
 
Someone did try to make a spin off site, but then the person just stopped working on it.
 
How daunting a task would it be to write a CHYOO site with HTML or PHP? I know a little HTML, but not enough to write something so complex as a function that makes user-generated pages which link together... but it can't be that bad. :/
 
@alpha: I don't agree with some of our suggestions.

1) Multiple "user characterization choices": I think it would be too difficult\limiliting for the authors to implement them in their stories, with loss of quality in the descriptions too. The roleplaying factor resides in the choices that are given to the user throughout the story, nothing more.

2) Incentives to end a story: I don't see why an open story would be annoying in the user pov. I'd probably implement something like authors "propositions" to end a story on a certain thread, so that the other authors could be able to know (and see) it before continuing from there.

I wish I could have the time\knowlege to start a new chyoo project. I'd even happily study the languages necessary to do that (php, html?)..maybe in the future :)
 
While we're in the area of discussing possible additions, I had one...

Is there a way to add (or does it already exist) a way to search authors with the most-popular threads? I'm looking for stories to add to, & having to click each name individually to search someone's work is long, difficult, etc. (Plus, I admit I tend to forget when I see a name to click on if I've already searched that one previously or not.)

http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/main.search

I don't know for sure if that's what you were searching.




And on a side note I think It would be useful to create a new discussion here on the forums where the "readers" could point out to the authors where they would like a certain story to continue.
For example:

DARK ANGEL
Story Map: http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/member.story.map/4204
Votes:
16.1 the deed is done by supman
29.1 What else? by inyotef
6.2 Max agrees to the cops terms. by supman
21.1 New light for Max’s mission. by inyotef
34.1 They string her up. by supman
7.2 Normal gets lucky by slutnutz

STORY2
Story map: ...
Votes: ...

If someone thinks it's a good idea I'll create the discussion and update the 1st post with all the suggestions :)
 
Last edited:
Shrug

For the longest time I have read stories on the ASSTR, The adult sex story text repository. And in truth I it was not til about a year ago I even started to practice my writing, now sometime ago well reading a number of stories on here I saw a few or should I say a lacking of prospective and or direction, and sure as I write even my own writing sometimes lacks prospective or direction. It happens to all of us but for me so long as I manage to make a post once in a while I can feel good about one that almost as soon as someone notices it and sees how good it is they get rated I am happy.

As for the site, many sites get disowned but remained hosted for one reason or another over time. One could compare this kind of site as being the kind of thing that ends up neglected in time. And as Torg said early in the posts the best he could mostly do is figure out a way to transfer or recreate things on another site in a way that would make it so good stories do not vanish. But the time we put into the stories we write is not as great as the time required to remake or rebuild a site from scratch. I have no ability to write in HTML or any other online site building practicalities. The only real skill I have when it comes to building a site is helping to approve images and lay out, and making sure things look how they should. A friend of mine when I was younger use to make web button images and linking locations for his families business / website and and I often would watch him design the art for said things. I would make hints or suggestions and when he was done he would normally be happier that things looked how it did then if I was not there even if my presences was not needed or required.

So in the end, it all comes down to time. I can tell you said buttons my friend use to make just to get shading and texture and over all design correct could take him anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours to get corrected as he tried different colour styles and design formats, placing the word Help on a black background with the word help shadowing the first. To make sure the button is very visible. So when you realize Chyoo is devoid of things like graphical art in some grounds this might be the kind of thing your talking about in regards to how the site is missing something.

I Personally think Torg does a pretty great job as a whole, and there are many things I wish the site could have and if you guys ever move I would not mind trying to help form the final image by emailing my feelings on what I see and stating ways that I know of to improve or alter it. Like I said I may not know how to code but I do know practicality, and at some points it is correct to suggest the current site lacks a lot of practicality, the main literotica site is not nearly as practical to find a story on as ASSTR, which is the primary reason I had not found chyoo til about a year back. But ASSTR does have an issue of a man who has way to many gay style stories that when searching for other stories tend to block out the rest.

As a whole the only primary thing I can say in regards to chyoo is it allows you to grow the story, and get feed back as you do it. The only negative I would give it is the trolls who rate down and or don't realize we don't want suggestions so much on who is going to nail who. I mean if it's clear sooner or later the story is going to draw in that direction then how in the world is it ok for them do so. I mean I like questions I like suggestions for things that can be explained, I don't so much care for being told so and so should screw so and so. So I personally consider these kind of comments to be trolling, when I comment to other writers I tend to suggest options and ideas I don't make demands like some of the readers or comments do. Or I simply say I enjoy there work please expand on it. And the options or ideas tend to not include sex, more like story flow. Like take so and so and so and so, or do so and so or include so and so. in other words it is for the things connected to what the people want.

The only issue I really have beyond that is emails sent from the website to are mail does not say, something like Message sent from Chyoo instead of just a blank message, if the message in the reason why the email was sent of were it was from. I am sure more people might respond to it, just a thought.

And some could say the writing we do for the site now is are way of saying this kind of content and or style of content should not die. Torg had already pointed out that Population Crisis was killed, and it bothers me a bit that it did as well since it was a really good story. Which is one of the reasons I was prompted to write my own story so it could be said, the things we like or the things we noticed always have a response to the action. I would suggest we all just do are best to support and or take part in the format of the website, and worry less about the issue it has til Torg or someone else comes up with a solution. That does not involve trying to harass someone who may or could not respond, at this point I would say it is down purely to the users, and I think that might be what Torg was explaining as a whole. And how things were not moving or being worked on properly til Torg was made a mod with others.

Be well,

Mazer

Ps. I know I am a bit word so don't bother telling me, and if you have trouble reading my stories or posts, read them out loud they read like I am talking to you mostly.
 
Last edited:
Oh, I'm not going anywhere, but I worry when good stories like Population Crisis just vanish.

Question: Anyone have a good way of backing a story up? In the rare event that happens? I'd hate for my work to all down the drain. Again.
 
Question: Anyone have a good way of backing a story up? In the rare event that happens? I'd hate for my work to all down the drain. Again.

In the case of a fairly linear story with few branches.

I've save a couple of stories by working my way along a story arc, cutting and pasting each thread onto notepad in order, then saving the whole story as one file. If I needed to repost it the process could be reversed cutting the large file up into readable chunks.

This oviously won't work with a story that has many branches.
 
Question: Anyone have a good way of backing a story up? In the rare event that happens? I'd hate for my work to all down the drain. Again.

I use a wiki for my writing. I write on the wiki and then copy it over to CHYOO. The wiki allows easy branching. In fact, I use a wiki-farm that has one of the better CHYOO-like sites on it as well. http://editthis.info. The other site is http://editthis.info/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure. This is not strictly a X-rated site, but has an adult section in it.

You can get a free wiki here.
 
I'm considering joining this site, but somethings have made me a little hesistant so I want to know a few more things about it first.

With Literotica, every attempt i've made at roleplaying has failed because my partner has disapeared. I don't want to write with people who just up and disapear half way through and never come back. Or come back and completly ignore my messages.

Chyoo doesn't seem to have any visible activity, with most of the new threads seeming to have very poor ratings and very low amounts of views. Is this site in general active? Because I don't really want to spend time in a vitual graveyard.

And how does this thread branching work? I've never heard of a concept like this before so its completly new to me
 
Back
Top