Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a new 'place' in Leeds, called "the Hoffbrauhaus"; all very Germanic and lots of Oompah etc.. But the Beer wasn't bad.
So one night we got Kenny Ball & his Jazzmen.
It was great. Chimes Blues, by request!

Unfortunately, the video was 'unavailable', but by way of 'free association' it led me to Maynard Ferguson's 'Conquistador' to another tune of the same name, to another tune by the same band (my favorite of theirs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

This one had all my mates roaring with laughter (it has to be said that there's a lot of references to English things & people).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcrUuCDFLOQ

Hahaha - that's where I learned who Val Doonican was! So funny, but my favorite is 'Roy Rogers on Trigger'. I considered posting this a while back when we were talking about Jazz. That slow hesitant break still has me rolling on the floor laughing (shades of Spike Jones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcNAwytrOY

Hahaha - that's where I learned who Val Doonican was! So funny, but my favorite is 'Roy Rogers on Trigger'. I considered posting this a while back when we were talking about Jazz. That slow hesitant break still has me rolling on the floor laughing (shades of Spike Jones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcNAwytrOY

I remember this album; it was fabulous.
I went and had a look for Spike Jones and found this absolute classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iXI8OpY4ZQ

This guy used to visit the UK and do some sort of show on the London stage - usually televised.
Those in possession of a TV (at that time, possession of a TV was not guaranteed) would quite whatever they (and their family) were doing - and watch with rapt attention to one of the cleverest funny men in Europe.

This guy used to visit the UK and do some sort of show on the London stage - usually televised.
Those in possession of a TV (at that time, possession of a TV was not guaranteed) would quite whatever they (and their family) were doing - and watch with rapt attention to one of the cleverest funny men in Europe.

The problem with the Victor Borge type of comedy is it too easily lost to the sands of time.

Mark Twain and Will Rogers were both superb with getting people to laugh at otherwise serious social and political commentary, much the same way Bob Hope and Johnny Carson could do decades later. But those who pulled it off so well get forgotten, as does their messages, to new generations.

Television has gone the same route. Sure, we can look back at clips of Archie Bunker on "All in the Family" and laugh but do we actually see that just under two generations later he is living in the White House? I'm sure your British comedies from the same era often provides a similar "How did we not see this coming?" moments.

On this side of the pond, at least for the present, I am so thankful for the comedians because more often than not they are simultaneously providing a more balanced look at the news than the "real" news media while also giving us a reason to laugh until we get through the latest mess-of-the-day.

The problem with the Victor Borge type of comedy is it too easily lost to the sands of time.

Mark Twain and Will Rogers were both superb with getting people to laugh at otherwise serious social and political commentary, much the same way Bob Hope and Johnny Carson could do decades later. But those who pulled it off so well get forgotten, as does their messages, to new generations.

Television has gone the same route. Sure, we can look back at clips of Archie Bunker on "All in the Family" and laugh but do we actually see that just under two generations later he is living in the White House? I'm sure your British comedies from the same era often provides a similar "How did we not see this coming?" moments.

On this side of the pond, at least for the present, I am so thankful for the comedians because more often than not they are simultaneously providing a more balanced look at the news than the "real" news media while also giving us a reason to laugh until we get through the latest mess-of-the-day.

You've raised an interesting point.
On this side of the Pond, we do not seem to have the real funny stuff that we did (doubtless my Grandkids would disagree, mind!). It has been said that no network would make something as good as MASH, for example.
Flanders & Swann (very intelligent and polite jokes, but hysterically funny), or " 'Allo, 'Allo" with its innuendos, "Get Some In" which is a very good humorous thing about life in Initial Training in the 1950s RAF. "It ain't 'arf 'ot, Mum" is another brilliant military thing. There's no chance of another like it.

There was an attempt to put some "Alternative humour" on the Radio. I was travelling home late one day and heard one; In the half-hour of the programme, I think I smiled; once.

Strangely enough, very little American Humour gets over here (Sgt Bilko being one exception); it does not seem to translate very well.:)

There was an attempt to put some "Alternative humour" on the Radio. I was travelling home late one day and heard one; In the half-hour of the programme, I think I smiled; once.

I am occasionally tempted to dig out some of the radio comedies from my younger years - 'Take It From Here', 'The Navy Lark', 'Brothers in Law', 'Round The Horne', 'The Men From The Ministry'. But then I wonder if they would still be funny. Better just to remember that they once were perhaps?

:)

I am occasionally tempted to dig out some of the radio comedies from my younger years - 'Take It From Here', 'The Navy Lark', 'Brothers in Law', 'Round The Horne', 'The Men From The Ministry'. But then I wonder if they would still be funny. Better just to remember that they once were perhaps?

:)

Some of the "Men from the Ministry" are still damned funny, as are many of the "Navy Lark". "Round the Horne" might well depend upon which series you choose.

The original film of the Navy Lark is on You Tube (with Ronald Shiner as the Chief).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRrnnOxuac4.
And I reckon i t is worth watching.

Some of the "Men from the Ministry" are still damned funny, as are many of the "Navy Lark". "Round the Horne" might well depend upon which series you choose.

The original film of the Navy Lark is on You Tube (with Ronald Shiner as the Chief).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRrnnOxuac4.
And I reckon i t is worth watching.

Please don't post links like that. Every time I check out a Brit comedy on You Tube I end up getting sucked into binge watching clips of "Are You Being Served?" :D

Please don't post links like that. Every time I check out a Brit comedy on You Tube I end up getting sucked into binge watching clips of "Are You Being Served?" :D

Another of the superior humour, I'm thinking.
How Mollie Sugden kept a straight face is one of the eternal mysteries.

Heard this one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back