Is it just me

acup

Experienced
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Posts
57
Opened the portal today... and man.

When the page opens an App Control panel pops up before it actually loads, and when I flip over to the My Authors Activity tab of the home page, no categories, just says stories with every entry, all the stats are XXX or zero's. And not just the current days stuff, but for the whole page.
 
Are you on the new control panel, or the old one?

The new control panel has been a construction zone for a few days, with various problems coming and going. Right now mine (the new one) seems to be working, but slowly.

I don't know about the old one.
 
Mine shows the new three whirligigs, but once it loads, it's business as usual. I use an android browser for Lit, it seems happy enough.
 
Same for me as for electricblue and this behavior started in the past few days. I have always accepted whatever was the default interface, so maybe the default changed?
 
Anyone who is having trouble, hold the shift key and then click the refresh button on your browser to override your cache while reloading the page.
 
Well i guess my email notification of off as well. Didn't know there were any responses to this. Didn't know about it being under 'construction'.

Shift - refresh didn't make any changes.

I haven't used the old panel for quite a while, but my one pet peeve on the new one is story submission.

In the old panel, I can write a story in MS Word, and since I can't preview it I save it as a .txt, and upload it to see the preview before submitting it.

With the new panel, it can't handle smart quotes. If I try and submit a saved .txt from Word document, EVERY single and double quote pops up as a solid diamond with a question mark in the middle and they kick the file back saying re-submit. If I cut and paste from the .txt file everything is happy.

So tell me why the OLD control panel has no problem with smart quotes, but in the new and improved control panel they send it for a loop?
 
So tell me why the OLD control panel has no problem with smart quotes, but in the new and improved control panel they send it for a loop?

I don't know, but I continue to use the old panel and will do so until I can't anymore. Then I might just stop submitting stories here. That's not really because I don't think I could adjust to using the new panel, but because I'm irritated as hell that they are fooling around with that rather than cleaning up the functions here that are obsolete or just haven't worked in the 12 years I've been submitting stories to this site.

I did look at using the new panel under my former sr71plt account, but I quickly found that it was just too cumbersome to keep track of my 1,000 stories and scroll through the listings with the formatting there. So, I opened a new account at that point.
 
Last edited:
Well i guess my email notification of off as well. Didn't know there were any responses to this. Didn't know about it being under 'construction'.

As near as I can tell, a problem with notifications from the forum should have absolutely nothing to do with problems on the story side. They are different software running on different sites.

With the new panel, it can't handle smart quotes. If I try and submit a saved .txt from Word document, EVERY single and double quote pops up as a solid diamond with a question mark in the middle and they kick the file back saying re-submit. If I cut and paste from the .txt file everything is happy.

I have no problem at all with smart quotes and I never have. The problems I've seen people report with smart quotes and other punctuation all seem to me to be related to character sets. Do you know what a character set is?

So tell me why the OLD control panel has no problem with smart quotes, but in the new and improved control panel they send it for a loop?

Never had the problem, but with the old control panel you specified the character set, and if you didn't know what that meant then it defaulted to something that MicroSoft liked.
 
Opened the portal today...no categories, just says stories
I'd not noticed that on the CP until it was pointed out to me just now - the individual story category has disappeared from the Panel, but still shows when you click on the story itself.

Changes being made in the background. I wonder if this is the start of a better tags oriented category system... wait and see, I guess.
 
My new CP disappeared one of my stories for a few minutes, which freaked me out, but it's back now. I get the three whirlies, and sometimes they go on indefinitely and it never loads. Keeps life interesting.
 
The "All Activity" no longer includes following of my stories. They now only show up under "Works Activity," which doesn't include comments. These notifications still show up under "All Activity" by the looks of it. I also think the system is missing some notifications after the update.
 
Opened the portal today... and man.

When the page opens an App Control panel pops up before it actually loads, and when I flip over to the My Authors Activity tab of the home page, no categories, just says stories with every entry, all the stats are XXX or zero's. And not just the current days stuff, but for the whole page.

Indeed I have this exact problem for several days now. I don't know a thing about new or old control panel, it is the only one I have seen (by the looks of it I would guess 'new' but might be mistaken). I use Chrome on Android to browse the site. Clearing cache didn't help any.

Have not investigated for scripting or load errors but something is clearly broken. I assumed it to be so obviously broken that it will be corrected eventually, but if it is only broken for a subset of users it is worth a report.
 
I've noticed the things people have noticed above, and also have noticed that the "Followers" total doesn't get updated right away when I get a new follower. It took almost a day to update at one point.
 
Other site with same problem

Here's one for you Manu, Have a friend that uses Uber, and that same little control panel loads before their web site, and they are having loads of problems with their driver app as well. Sounds like something didn't get tested properly before roll out.
 
A note: I hadn't bothered to look on my tablet until today. When I did, I see the same problems of the category not appearing on the works page, and the recent activity missing things, as well as showing things that shouldn't be there.

Dumping my cache on mobile didn't help at all.

Posted screenshots demonstrating the differences in the tech support forum, as everything works as normal in any browser on desktop.

The problem may not be mobile specific, but it most certainly appears to be a much larger issue on mobile devices.
 
Weirdly, it's broken on my macbook pro running Safari or Chrome, but works fine on Samsung S8 running Chrome. Definitely platform-specific.
 
Back
Top