Not from here-closed for asetikish

BRIGHTWELL

Time Walker
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Posts
4,093
It is one of those nights that Andrew has seen but a few times in the old town. The wind blew in a howl and the little litter there was on the street flew by. He gage the wind to be from the West. It be a storm fer sure he thinks. Several towns people push forward around him with their heads down and hats into the wind. THe clouds swiftly form from the West and roll on over the city.

Andrew leans against the wall of the Red Dragon on the Water Tavern. On the slight rise he can see the some of the masts of the ships tied up to the different docks and wharfs. He looks up to the clouds and watch as they gather and swurl about. Then there is a great booming crash and a brillant flash of light.

The woman lays in the street all most naked save for her shorts, blouse and flats. She is wearing glasses which hang crookedly on face. She looks up at Andrew and turn her head around slowly. "I guess I'm not in Kansas any more."
 
Last edited:
Leila had just been walking back home when the storm really hit hard. She ran as fast as she could toward the train station, but got swept up in a violent wind. And then, she had landed here. For a while, she is dazed and groans sitting up and fixing the frames in her eyes. The man looking down at her isn't someone from her day and age. Unless this is a set for some movie.

"I guess I'm not in Kansas anymore..." it's a line from an old movie, but it just popped into her mind. "Um, excuse me, sir. Can you tell me where I am?"
 
Andrew looks at the woman laying on the ground less dressed than some of the woman he has seen in the West Indies. Her clothes are different and though she spoke in English he had never heard phasing like this before. He looks at her quite stunned. Then the wind pulled at his hat and he almost lost it. He puts his hand on it and walks over to the woman and pulls her to her feet.

"I have heard of such things but never in my wildest dreams thought it to be true. Are you truly a witch? And your garment never have I seen a woman on the streets so dressed. Yet look so good. Come I will get you out of this storm and we can talk in the Dragon." He leads her down the street as two town folk walk past with their heads down against the wind.
 
"Uh..." Leila can't say anything much, still dazed from being taken away from her home. She processes what he said and notices that he didn't say anything about where they are. But something else catches her attention.

"Witch? No! I'm not a witch! I don't even know magic." She sighed following him just wanting to get out of the storm.
 
"Not a witch, that is good. They burn witches in these parts. "He can see she is not dressed for entering the dragon. So he takes his long cloak off and puts it around her body and leads her into the tavern. The wind lessens some as they walk in.

Andrew looks to the tavern keeper. "A couple ales and a bag of some of those old clothes from out back fer the lady here. She got caught in the storm and took most of her clothes with the wind." Andrew looks around at the few patrons in the tavern looking at them. "Whats yeah looking at letchers, you never seen a half necked woman befer!" He leads the woman to a back table in the shadows.

"I think before we start I should tell you who I am. My name is Andrew. Thats Andrew Sinclare Brightwell of the Brotherhood. This is the red dragon on the water tavern. And I gather by the look on your face you have no idea what is going on do you?"
 
Burn...witches? The thought made Leila shudder. Was this the dark ages or something? If it was, it explained why everything looked the way it did and why he spoke the way he did. But if she was in the past, how was she supposed to get back to the future?

Without anything else to go with, she took his cloak and followed him. She was grateful for his help considering how wet her clothes were making it cling to her body heighteing the cold she was feeling...and making her blouse a little see through.

"Thank you--" but before she could say anymore, he started walking and she followed him. He seemed like a nice enough man. Hopefully, he wasn't a serial killer or anything of the sort.

When he entered the tavern, she paused at the doorway seeing men who looked really frightening. They all looked at her and she shrank behind him, thankful for his protection.

"I think before we start I should tell you who I am. My name is Andrew. Thats Andrew Sinclare Brightwell of the Brotherhood. This is the red dragon on the water tavern. And I gather by the look on your face you have no idea what is going on do you?"

She shook her head. "I don't. What is this place?" She paused forgetting courtesy. "Oh, sorry. I'm Leila. I was doing research in Tokyo when this freak storm happened and the next thing I know, I'm here." She pulled the cloak closer feeling the cold dig deep into her bones. "Thank you so much for helping me."
 
Andrew's eyes grew wide and he said in a hushed tone." You can read? You know science? I know of only one or two men that know science." Andrew looks around nervously. He puts his hand over his mouth as he speaks. "Don't tell anyone that you know science. Almost any other man in the town will denounce you."

After a few quiet minutes the waitress comes over with a bag of clothes and there ales. She hands Andrew the bag. He looks though the bags and then closes it and pushes it off the table. It falls to the floor and kicks it over to her with his foot. "There is a brown top and shirt in the bag. They don't match in tone. That will be fine for now. While in town don't wear bright colors. There is a bonnet, wear that when out side."

He takes a drink from his ale. " Tokyo? You said you were in Tokyo. Is that a place or a thing?"He askes guardedly.
 
For a moment, Leila was so stunned at Andrew's reaction about her abilities that it took her a few moments to remember that educated women in the old times were completely unheard of. She groaned. It was a time to be pretty and seductive. That was what women did in this era. The only problem was, what about her glasses? It was like seeing underwater.

She watched as he kicked the bag to him and glared at him. That was totally rude! But, then again, he was already helping her so she couldn't say anything as she picked it up. So when he asked her a question, she was tart and curt about it. "It's a place. Better than this crappy old dump."
 
"This place, as you call it is the Red Dragon. You are in Neiw Amsterdam and it is the year of our lord 1660. This is a Dutch colony and the only civilization for 100's of miles around." Andrew stands and ajusts his hat.

"A brother of mine has gotten in to a spot of trouble so I'm on my way to see the sheriff. I suggest that you change in the back room. One of the girls in the back is a mute. Her name is Becka. She is a little crazy. But if you like I can ask her to help you out. By the way the owner of this place is a very powerfull man here in the colony. He is very very Dutch. He was the leader of the resistance when the English took the town a few months back. Just watch what you say."

Andrew looks around." This is a rat hole, but I'm smart enough not to say so!" He sees Becka come out of the back room. He looks at Leila. "I would advise you to change. I see Becka. " He sits down again and looks straight into her eyes. " Here are two things that could happen to you if you go out on the street dressed as you are." Andrew pauses and puts on a lewd crooked smile.

"The first, is that some low brow lad will take you for a strumpet. Rape and kill you. Or rape you and then denounce you as a English spy. If that is the case. You will be brought before a board of judges. You will be tortured till you confess. Then you will be burned as a witch or hung as a spy. Or if they agree that you are a strumpet. They will beat you then toss you out the back gate for the indians to have you. " He pauses again.

"Or second, the street guards will find you and turn you over to the general. He will not bother with the judges. "
 
Leila planned to get out of the tavern as she is, but after hearing her "choices" perhaps, that isn't such a good idea. What she can do instead, is dress the same as everyone else then make her way out. She isn't about to stake her survival on someone as rude as he is.

Sighing, she takes Becka with her to a room to help her dress. The girl is nice enough, but too subservient for her tastes. "Thank you," she tells Becka and the girl thinks it a dismissal, leaving her alone. Which is for the best.

Scanning the area, she sees a small window a little high up. The storm is still raging outside but she doesn't want to go back in the tavern to a den of the rudest and most disgusting men she has ever seen. If she escapes, she can always pretend to be mute and deaf until she can find someone who will be nice enough to help her out.

Gritting her teeth, she hoists herself up to the window and tries to push herself out...but unfortunately, her hips can't fit through as much as she pushes. Growling, she tries to back, out,but finds herself stuck. "Great! This is just stupid!"
 
Luietenant van Gatt

The door opened swiftly as the man dressed in brown boldly walks in. He stops General Franko Hodges slows his steps as he reaches the bar and turns and faces the crowd. The tall woman moves behind him and to his right.

Those that know her, know her as the Generals personal enforcer, Moca Blanco. The storyof Moca is a strange one. The daughter of a rich plantation ower on the island of Margerita. It was said that by eighteen she had killed three men from three different islands and all Govenors. If the general had the power, she had the had the will. He purses his lips. The bar tender gives him a half knowing smile. Franko Hogers is in the house. The man is short and portly. Known for his wit and whimsy.

Also with him is The watch commander Luietenant van Grott . Who moves to the General's left. He slowly closes the door.Franko straightens up and smiles with delight. "A GREAT BUNCH OF LADS HERE NIGHT!" he calls out. And the room erupts with laughter.

At the sound of her patron and protector, out in the main room. Becka comes out of the back. She smiles as she sees her lover. She moves swiftly over to her and points to the back room. Several in the room laugh. Luietenant van Grott notices her and looks toward the back room.

Becka's face is drawn tight, she looks over the crowd as in search of some one to torture, just because, she could. Her story, as it was, is almost sad. She had been a prisoner on a English ship bound for Nassau in the Bahamas. A storm smashed the ship on a reef killing and drowning crew and passenger alike. She was the only survivor on the ship. She had be captured by natives and raped. Then taken to St. Augustine and raped by the Spanish troops. Just when her days were the darkest another storm hit the area. And in the dead of night she escaped. Franko Hodgers had found her on a Florida beach laying almost dead. He brought her to Neiw Amsterdam and she started by working in his small general store. That had been many years back.

Luietenant van Grott and Moca Blanco follow Becka to the back room.
Luietenant van Grott's face is red with fury as he looks at the woman in the black cloak stuck in the window. Moca Blanco climbs up and pulls the woman out of the window. She stares at the woman and holds her by the arm not letting go of her. Luietenant van Grott walks over to her.

"I have noy seen you before, you are not one of the decent type here in the colony." He looks at her cheap brown clothing and her fine black cloak. "You do not match. You must be a thief. We have ways of dealing with theives here in Neiw Amstredam. A few days in the stocks and a good beating should do it."

.
 
Last edited:
For a moment, Leila thinks that she isn't going to get out of her situation, when a woman pulls her out. Thankful for her help, she was about to speak when the woman starts accusing her of being a thief. For a while, Leila blinks in confusion before getting her bearings back.

"What? No!" She tries to mimic their speech as best as she can. "I am not a thief. If I am, I will have more than a nice cloak. Someone from inside let me use it. I was going to return it. Andrew!" She remembers his name, remembering he knows someone powerful. Perhaps his name has some bearing too. "His name is Andrew."
 
Luietenant van Grott squints his eyes. "Andrew?" He looks at Moca quetionly.
Moca takes to look to mean that he did not beleive the woman. Moca knocks the bonnet off Leila's head and grabs her hair downward pulling her head back. "I think she is lying!" At this point Becka grabs Mocka's arm and points to the main room nodding her head affirmatively.

Mocka looks at Becka and her anger melts away. She releases Leila's hair and pushes her in the head. She smiles at Becka and gives her a light kiss. "Your too good these roaches my sweet." She turns and looks at Leila. "You are a luck cunt today. Becka has saved you for now. Next time I will take a special interest in punishing you myself, roach!"

Luietenant van Grott lightly grabs Leila's arm and leads the way. They enter the main room as the general is giving a talk on the latest English lies. The general turns and stops speaking. He looks at Leila. " What have we here van Grott "

Luietenant van Grott stands at attention. "My general this woman was found in your back room. We suspect she is a thief. Though Becka indicates that what the woman says is true. That a gentleman named Andrew gave lend of the cloak."

Becka points to Andrew Sinclare Brightwell. The general follows to where she points. He smiles broadly. " My dear Luietenant van Grott that is no gentleman, that is the notorious pirate Andrew Brightwell. Well hated by many nations in particulatly the Spanish. He has raped and pillaged many a Spanish port and women. He is a special friend to the colony."

General Hogers makes his way toward Andrew. " Tell us true. Did you lend this woman your cloak?" Andrew stands and looks at Leila. He takes a few moments to answer. "My general, I found this woman on the street and I brought her here to get her out of the storm. She was dressed strangly so I thought it best not to allarm the good people of Niew Amsterdam. I wrapped her in my cloak and brought her out of harms way. "

The general smiles broadly. He turn to Luietenant van Grott and say out loud "You see she ment no harm. Let her go, she is free from arrest."
The general turns and whispers to Andrew "Get that strumpet whore out of my colony by next high tide or I will hang her, got it Brightwell?"
Andrew sits and waves Leila over to the table. When she arrives Andew looks to the General. He takes her by the hand. "Yes my General we will leave on the next high tide!"

Andrew turns and looks at Leila. "What ever your thinking...don't. He will hang you if you stay here."
 
Leila couldn't do anything against them as the woman passed her off to the lieutenant. The truth was, she was so frightened, she couldn't do much else, not even appeal to him that she was innocent. She couldn't believe how barbaric the times were, and she could remember everything that Andrew had told her. They would hurt her and kill her without anyone's protection.

"My dear Lieutenant van Grott that is no gentleman, that is the notorious pirate Andrew Brightwell. Well hated by many nations in particularly the Spanish. He has raped and pillaged many a Spanish port and women. He is a special friend to the colony."

Leila gaped. Her protector was a pirate? She couldn't believe a pirate would help her out. And hearing his reputation on raping women, she felt less and less safe. Maybe that fate was a little better than death, but still!

The moment the lieutenant left her with Andrew, she sat still as a statue, trembling with fear. "I'm sorry..." she started crying, her head bowed. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry..."
 
Andrew shrugs "He exaggerates, the General. I havn't raped that...many women. " He stands and extends his hand to her. " The next high tide is in four hours. There is only one ship that is ready to make for open water. And saddly it is not mine. " He leads her to the front door of the tavern. He pauses and looks back at the crowd. He gives her a knowing smile. "If you think this crowd is bad. Just wait!"

He opens the door and the wind hits them. He puts his head down and leads her toward the docks. They get to the dock masters hut. Andrew uses the small house as a wind break so he can speak to her. " Listen my crew is scattered all over town. I don't have the ship's stores to sail for more then a few days. I have a good friend. He is a member of the Brotherhood too. " Andrew pauses.

"If you can speak any Russian now is the time to speak up." Andrew looks around the corner at the large white ship across from his. "His name is Alexi Rostov he is Captain of the Eyes of Azov. I trust him...to a point. I think you should get on his ship. I will meet you in a few week. I'm doing this to keep you from getting hanged."
 
Russian? She knew basic conversation from one of her workmates, but other than that? Lost and alone in the past, she could do nothing but bow where the winds were taking her. Her hood, still up, she had to shout through the wind to be heard, since it was much louder near the water.

"What's going to happen to me there? Won't they hurt me?" Leila was trying to keep her hysterics down but it was so hard.

"Why are you being so nice to me? You're a pirate and you...rape women. Why are you being nice to me?"
 
Andrew fights hard not to laugh. He keeps his head down and hides his face from her. Soon he regains control. With a strained smile he tries to look at he seriously. "Rape is such a ....unfotunate word. Those woman were all Spanish. Its true I did hang one or two from the beam in my cabin and have my way with them. And yes they did resist at .....first. " He looks around the corner again. Then thinks about her question.

"My friend dance at the ends of ropes all over. Your neck is far to pretty to be stretched and snapped. I have seen to many die that way. That is why I'm helping you. I don't want to see you hung!" He leads her down the dock to the big white ship. "Here we GO!"
 
Leila blushes. The thought of women being hung and taken and actually liking it sounds like a porn movie to her. No one wants to be raped in real life, do they? Maybe he drugged them that's why they liked it. She feels like she won't, but she can't help but be curious why the women want him to rape them.

Although, she had to admit, she was always curious about that little fantasy. Not that she had any obsessions about it. Just...curious.

She's flattered he thinks her pretty, but she fells like she's being abandoned as soon as he drops her off the ship. She turns to him before stepping off the gangplank to the ship. "Please promise me I'll be safe." She holds his hands, trying to find a support for her fear.
 
"Alexi is a very good friend of mine. If I ask him to give you safe conduct to a friendly port. He will. " He turns and faces the First mate, a large Swed. "Good day Hjalmar. Will you lead us to the Captain, Please." The first mate smiles and turns toward the stern of the ship where the cabins are. Andrew draws Leila back slightly. "I don't know his real name. That is just what they call him. Supposedly, his cock head is the shape of a helmet."

In a few seconds they are in the Captain's cabin. Alexi smiles broadly and rises as Andrew and Leila enter. "Andrew!" he bellows. He moves around from his sea desk and hugs Andrew in a large bear hug. He is a good six inches taller then Andrew and a far larger frame. After a second he releases him and looks at Leila. "What do we have here my friend?"

Andrew looks at Leila and smiles. Then looks back at hsi friend. "This young lady needs to leave the Neiw Amsterdam. Ah, like in a hurry. The General himself say so. And our friend Luietenant van Grott wishes to hang her or put her in the stocks." Andrew pauses and watches for Alexi's reaction.

Alexi smiles and nods his head. "Some friend, that man wishes all foreigners hung or put in the stocks. Two of my men he put in the stock .For minor things. Such a man!" He looks at Leila. "I gather you wish me to give the young lady safe passage?"

Andrew smiles and nods his head. "That is what I would like, my friend. And when my ship is ready I will sail and meet you, say the Carolina bay in a few weeks?"

Alexi nods his head "That would be good, I have buisness in Virginia that will take a few days. We can meet after that!" Andrew turns to Leila. "You are in good hands. I will see you in a few weeks."
 
Last edited:
Leila looks longingly at her protector, but knows that she couldn't stay. She holds his hands smiling. "Thank you for everything."

She turns to the captain. "If there's anything I can help with, please tell me. I'll do my best."
 
Andrew looks at her strangely. "I'll see you in a few weeks in Virginia. I have to get my crew together and provision my ship. I'm not cutting you loose. Alexi is a good man. He will protect you."

Alexi nods his head. "He be good for his word,Miss. I've know him awhile. We go back to the early years aboard his first ship a meer four gun sloop."
 
Back
Top