A good friend died

I've worn various helmets over the years. Racing required a SNELL sticker. Even a cheap lid is better than none. I've found that the pricey ones are more comfortable and quiet. With a less pricey helmet I wore earplugs against the wind noise. Much more comfy.

Helmets are one shot items intended to break and crack during a crash. They take the forces not your head. Never trust a used helmet or one you have had even a small get off with.

I was always taught that you buy a new helmet after every crash no matter what it was like. Just common sense. But then wearing a helmet in the first place is just common sense and people tend not to do it unless that particular state has a law.
 
I said "some."




https://rideapart.com/articles/10-common-motorcycle-accidents-and-how-to-avoid-them


Like I said, motorcyclists too often do not rely on common sense.

Having ridden close to 400,000 miles on two wheels I've built an appreciation for the blindness and idiotic behavior of cagers. From the Hurt Report:
6.In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

8.Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

From my experience, while that last one is true, when it does happen it is usually brutal. Check out this guy intentionally swerving into a biker. While the biker was being an ass, passing when he shouldn't, trying to kill him for it isn't the appropriate response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPheXmNBu4

I learned many miles ago, ride like everyone else on the road has only one good eye and is trying to intentionally kill you. It isn't true of course, but that mindset has helped me survive. Everything on the road is bigger than me and my bike, so I'm the one who will get hurt or killed no matter who is in the wrong.


Comshaw
 
I do pay attention to the road.

The problem with some motorcyclists is that they go beyond ignoring common sense and ignore the rules of the road, they'll come flying around you down the center line, on the shoulder and at great speed. It's probably very exhilarating and exciting right up until the collision.

The motorcyclists that orally do what you are talking we call "crotch rockets." These bikes an do 200 mph right from the showroom floor. The other type of motorcycle is the cruiser which usually used for long rides. These bikes are heavier, may have cruise control and storage.

The cruiser rider will only use the shoulder should traffic beat a standstill. They do this to keep from frying their family jewels.
 
A good friend?

Tell us more.

Did you see the accident...or just the aftermath?

Nurses call motorcyclists "donors" for a reason.



You are just so clever. If you post about a close person dieing I will be kind. No matter what a jerk you are.
 
I thank all of you that said you were sorry for my loss. Little things mean a lot.
 
If the bike is in good shape someone can probably pick it up cheap right now. I got a sports car that way once. Kid got killed on a bike and the dad was selling all his stuff. Bike didn't make it in that one or I woulda bought that, too.
Wife made me get rid of the car after about a year. Probably cuz I looked so damn good in it.

I have a friend who used to be the sales manager in a pretty busy bike shop.

Every year, once the warm, bike weather hit, he had plenty of parents coming in to sell, or see what could be arranged for the remaining monthly payments, for bikes that their sons or daughters would no longer be riding, due to death or injury.

He hated those days at work.
 
Back
Top