Poppers

Colored Tubes

Not a health professional here, but I think Poppers are Amyl Nitrate or Butyl Nitrate. Those may have been drugs for cardiac patients.
In PA, I never saw public use of poppers and don’t know how legal they were. In Philly the common street drugs were oxy pills and crack. Never noticed much crystal meth, either. In NJ, I get the impression that poppers are easily available: containers are littered about.
If you are not young and healthy, recreational drugs can really mess up your day.
Monday, May 20, 2013 3:30 PM EDST JuliaHandel
 
Thanks I'd herd the term poppers just didn't know what they were I'm not into drugs myself legal or otherwise.
 
You're probably thinking of those tiny little jars of scented oils that they sell at sex shops as aeromatics, or air fresheners. People huff the fumes off the little pocket sized jars, and get a buzz that's a bit like doing whippets, but also a bit like huffing gasoline fumes out of a gym sock.

They're big at sex clubs and bath houses because they're super discreet, and users claim they make you horny. Probably more to do with the fact that they're sold at sex shops, they're cheap, pocket sized, and not technically illegal.
 
Jalepeno.
Either cheddar or cream cheese, I prefer the latter.
You can get them cooked at most fuel stations that have a deli or at any grocery store for cooking at home.
Arby's has good ones.
 
What are poppers and what do they do? Where do you get them and are they legal.
At this time of the year, you'll find "party poppers" like these:

220px-Party_poppers.jpg


I encountered them in England, when stationed there, but they can be found in the US if you look hard enough.
 
Amyl nitrate, have done it

What are poppers and what do they do? Where do you get them and are they legal.

"Poppers" are amyl nitrate. (Be careful what you wish for.) The "trip" that amyl nitrate gives you lasts only 3 minutes in real time, but seems to the user to be about 900,000,000,000,000,000,000 years (or 9 to the 12th power years). If you have any tendency to freak out on a drug, DON'T TRY THIS. I did it once, and vividly remember thinking, "just hang on, aeons from now this too will be over eventually." The universe geometrically dissolves in ever faster changing, more details and variegated patterns. But, that's just the way it was for me. Drugs effect different people in unique ways. With this one, be warned!
 
Last edited:
There's been a little information, and a lot of misinformation on this thread.

Yes "poppers", or the original poppers, are or were amyl nitrite though real amyl nitrite is a rare find anymore. Poppers formulations more commonly found today are cyclohexyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, , isopropyl nitrite and butyl nitrite.

All of the formulations fall under the general chemical classification of alkyl nitrites. The specific compounds and formulations have frequently changed as those who manufacture and market the product have changed them frequently to stay one step ahead of government regulations banning them.

As an example, isobutyl nitrite is still widely sold in the US as an alternative to the rarely used and RX only real amyl nitrite, (but isobutyl nitrite is illegal for "human use" or intentional inhaling) and isopropyl nitrite is common in the EU where isobutyl nitrite has been banned. All formulations (besides increasingly rare pharmaceutical amyl nitrite) are sold as room deodorizers, "head cleaners" (though who has a device that needs cleaning anymore), clock cleaners, or other industrial cleaners and "solvents".

The name "poppers" comes from the original formulation and use of amyl nitrite which was packaged as a vasodilator to open up the coronary arteries of angina sufferers. It was packaged in ampules, a glass vial wrapped in an absorbent gauze, which made a "pop" sound when the ampule was broken. Angina sufferers took a whiff off the ampule to dilate their vessels and increase blood flow to the heart. This medical formulation was generally much more pure then the products which are sold today.

The use of poppers as a sexual enhancement comes from several actions but all are the result of the relaxing of smooth muscles and vasodilation. Inhaling nitrites relaxes smooth muscles throughout the body, including the external and internal anal sphincters and the vagina. This relaxation of the sphincters makes anal penetration easier and thus eases the way for anal sex. It also makes it easier to accommodate large sex toys, both anally and vaginally, like dildos, probes, and plugs with a wider girth.

Smooth muscle also surrounds the body's blood vessels and when relaxed causes these vessels to dilate resulting in an immediate drop in blood pressure, and an accompanying increase in heart rate and blood flow throughout the body. This produces an instant feeling of lightheadedness, due to a decreased blood flow to the brain, as well as a sensation of heat and both relaxation and excitement which lasts for only a few minutes before another huff is needed. As a vasodilator, (like viagra and other ED drugs) poppers can also increase the intensity of erections though the opposite can also be true.

The mechanism by which alkyl nitrites act on the body is totally different than "huffing gasoline" and no comparison can be made. Alkyl nitrites were originally developed as pharmaceutical vasodilators whereas the same certainly can't be said for gasoline. Also, gasoline crosses the blood brain barrier whereas nitrites do not and gasoline chemically displaces and deprives the brain of oxygen and kills brain cells. No such permanent damage has been shown with poppers.

Speaking from experience, as someone who infrequently used real amyl nitrite in my youth, and other nitrite formulations as an adult, I offer the following impressions and experiences.

Real pharmaceutical grade amyl nitrite was much stronger then the modern alternative formulations. The first time I took a couple of whiffs off a real medical popper, offered by a friend's (RN) boss from whom we often bought pot (he was also gay), it just about floored me. I took one whiff and said, "What's the big deal?" He said, "take another" and I was instantly hit with all of the classic symptoms.

I felt flushed, lightheaded, warm, a bit euphoric with a bit of a "head detached from my body" feeling. As someone who regularly practiced receptive anal sex (see my stories), the warmth, relaxation and "awareness" I felt in my anal sphincter made me feel horny as hell. When I was offered another hit I refused since I didn't want to end up in bed with that particular person and I knew that's where it would lead. I did ask if I could buy some since I certainly wanted to try it with my (then) partner.

On the few special occasions when the male partner of my youth and I used them together, it resulted in (planned) marathon sex sessions. The effect on the anal sphincter is immediate. If he was trying to penetrate me and encountering resistance, a few hits and my ass opened up like a blooming flower. I’d get that warm feeling in my “gutty wutts” , my ass detached from my body and all of my senses focused on my anus. He’d be able to pump and pound away on my ass, in position after position if we desired, and we’d both be able to last, and last, and last with delayed ejaculation (edging) and the euphoric sensations seemingly lasting forever.

Move ahead in later life, my perception was that the new formulations aren’t as strong but with a few extra whiffs they will get you to the same place. My wife and I have used them to enhance anal centered masturbation and anal sex but never, that I recall, just for straight sex. Over the years I’ve craved bigger and bigger anal sex toys, some of which laypersons would see as “impossible” , and which I never would have initially been able to accommodate without poppers.

Solo or with my wife’s help, with a “super humongous” ass splitting toy nestled between my ass cheeks and unable to penetrate further, with a few hits of nitrites the sphincters relax and the sensation is exquisite as it “pops right in” (no other way to describe it). From then on an occasional whiff of nitrite allows me (or us) to play, work the toy in and out taking its entire girth and length, mind focused on nothing else, edging, delaying, and playing for the longest periods of time. till exploding in a mind blowing orgasm. Though she’s more cautious about using them, my wife has sometimes taken a whiff or two to ease the initial penetration of anal sex.

We no longer use them because of the risk that their vasodilation poses of cardiac episodes to us “older folks”. In particular, they can lower blood pressure to dangerous levels especially if they interact with both RX and OTC drugs and very commonly with ED medications. That said, there is no proven risk of moderate use to otherwise healthy younger people. (BTW, my wife is a just retired 43 yr RN, with most of her work done in cath labs and CCU's. Out of curiosity she sometimes checked my BP, heart rate, and heart sounds when we played with poppers and though the noted effects are obvious, she never saw any red flags that said "stop"...or we would have.)

As for legality, that depends on the jurisdiction. In Canada the sale of poppers in any formulation has been banned. . Although not considered a narcotic and not illegal to possess or use, they are considered a drug. Sales that are not authorized can now be punished with fines and prison.

In the EU, reformulated poppers containing isopropyl nitrite are sold while isobutyl nitrite is prohibited.

In the UK, and in spite of attempts to ban them, the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs has stated that, because alkyl nitrites do not directly stimulate or depress the central nervous system, poppers do not fall within the scope of the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 and are therefore legal.

In the US, amyl nitrite can only be sold with a prescription. Other alkyl nitrites were outlawed in the U.S. by Congress through the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988. The law includes an exception for commercial purpose which is defined as "any use other than for the production of consumer products containing volatile alkyl nitrites meant for inhaling or otherwise introducing volatile alkyl nitrites into the human body for euphoric or physical effects."

However, substances containing alkyl nitrites other than amyl nitrite are still widely available at many retailers—typically sex shops and stores that sell recreational-drug paraphernalia—and may be purchased legally. In retail formulations, they are labeled as video-head cleaners, nail-polish removers, and room odorizers.

As an example, here’s the disclaimer from a California based online retailer:

Note: All nitrite based products are sold as multi-purpose solvent cleaner only. We expressly forbid the misuse of our products as inhalants. Deliberate misuse of our products is illegal. Products do not contain amyl nitrite. They contain isobutyl nitrite, alkyl nitrites, isopentyl nitrite, cyclohexyl nitrite or hexyl nitrite. Nitrites are legal products, and not to be confused with nitrates. The misuse/abuse of any nitrite based solvent cleaner combined with prescription ED drugs can cause a sever drop in blood pressure and may even result in death. DO NOT MIX NITRITES AND ED DRUGS! The bottles contain warnings against inhaling the product and should only be used in accordance to the label. These products are not sold for human consumption in accordance with CPSA, 15 USC 2051-2084, at 2057a, 2057b and 2068. These products are not for sale to minors.

I hope this answers a few questions, clears up a few misconceptions, and eases a little hysteria. Nitrites are not narcotics, they are not hallucinogens, and they are not psychoactive substances at all. They are a vasodilator....period. I wonder what anyone who claims extreme psychoactive effects from poppers really got hold of.

That said, take this time dilation effect as described by user MilkFountain above,

"The "trip" that amyl nitrate gives you lasts only 3 minutes in real time, but seems to the user to be about 900,000,000,000,000,000,000 years (or 9 to the 12th power years),"

....and imagine that "time dilation" just as you are starting to have an orgasm? Such is one of the attractions of poppers.
 
Last edited:
The above is an immensely thorough answer. I can only add a little perspective from the UK. Here they are generally available in head shops and the like, although they are sold as fragrance / not for human consumption.
 
One demure . . .

There's been a little information, and a lot of misinformation on this thread. . . .

Real pharmaceutical grade amyl nitrite was much stronger then the modern alternative formulations. The first time I took a couple of whiffs off a real medical popper, offered by a friend's (RN) boss from whom we often bought pot (he was also gay), it just about floored me. I took one whiff and said, "What's the big deal?" He said, "take another" and I was instantly hit with all of the classic symptoms.

On the few special occasions when the male partner of my youth and I used them together, it resulted in (planned) marathon sex sessions. in position after position if we desired, and we’d both be able to last, and last, and last with delayed ejaculation (edging) and . . . the euphoric sensations seemingly lasting forever.

. . . but never, that I recall, just for straight sex. . . .

. . . they are not hallucinogens, and they are not psychoactive substances at all. . . I wonder what anyone who claims extreme psychoactive effects from poppers really got hold of.

That said, take this time dilation effect as described by user MilkFountain above,

"The "trip" that amyl nitrate gives you lasts only 3 minutes in real time, but seems to the user to be about 900,000,000,000,000,000,000 years (or 9 to the 12th power years),"

....and imagine that "time dilation" just as you are starting to have an orgasm? Such is one of the attractions of poppers.

Thank you for a detailed overview of DMT; however . . . My experience with DMT was in 1961, given to me by a registered nurse (aka, R.N.) and I remember a label on the container saying that the contents was, specifically, DMT, and carried a Canadian label in both English and French. The nurse was Canadian, on loan to a US hospital in Los Angeles, training American nurses. A Canadian nurse is also known as "4/5 a doctor", requiring 6 years of study, two of which are in a normal medical school. She is authorized to write prescriptions, perform certain surgical procedures and other "doctors only" medical practices, and is highly paid by US hospitals. She described to me what to expect, including the hallucinatory experience.

I only repeated the experience one other time (with the same nurse). That time, she blew her breath on my penis for the first (real time) minute, which was several thousand years to me, resulting in the longest and only truly painful erection I've ever had in my life. When she knew I was about to ejaculate, she mounted me, stuffed a nipple into my mouth, and using only her muscles, strangled out of me, she said, a scream and seeing my open-eyed eyeballs roll up completely out of sight. She held onto (internally), sitting on me, until I was well out of the DMT universe. I hurt inside, afraid something had been broken, herniated or strained beyond repair. She reassured me, but we didn't have sex again for several days . . . during which I suffered from priapism but didn't was to have sex.

Also at that time there was a morning after drug, OVEX LEO, available in Europe, Cuba, Russia and Canada, but not the U.S:A:
 
Thank you for a detailed overview of DMT; however . . .

Thank you for all of that but...

What the heck are you talking about? What does DMT, aka dimethyltryptamine, have to do with the subject of this thread, or my post, which is poppers or alkyl nitrites?

They aren't the same substance. They aren't even similar.
 
Last edited:
Sorry - I just came over to peruse the thread out of curiosity (amyl nitrate and its uses used to fascinate me from a strange medical perspective because I find both human behaviour and drugs fascinating) - don't let that rile you up, Kilt - he doesn't know what a Canadian nurse practitioner is, either - which was the other thing he inaccurately described.

Back to your discussion....:) Sorry to butt in.
 
Sorry - I just came over to peruse the thread out of curiosity (amyl nitrate and its uses used to fascinate me from a strange medical perspective because I find both human behaviour and drugs fascinating) - don't let that rile you up, Kilt - he doesn't know what a Canadian nurse practitioner is, either - which was the other thing he inaccurately described.

Back to your discussion....:) Sorry to butt in.

LOL. I'm married to a recently retired RN of 43 years (MSN). I noted that he erred in that respect as well but wasn't going to wade into it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top