New York Vincinty Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few here. This is a very quiet thread. I'm in northern New York - up near Watertown. Lived in NYC in the early 1960's. Where in NJ are you? I've been to Gladstone - years ago for a riding event.

10 minutes from Manhattan lived in Plattsburgh for a while but hubby grew up in Brooklyn, he lived here from 1956-83

Who else is freezing in the New York area? I keep watching my weather app and it's colder here than Anchorage, Alaska! Road trip, anyone?

Who else is freezing in the New York area? I keep watching my weather app and it's colder here than Anchorage, Alaska! Road trip, anyone?

3 am Tuesday (yesterday) morning, pipe froze and burst. The basement is not pleasant at that time of the day/night. Water turned off for the whole house (rural area - have own well). Other than that, things are very white. fire hall 1 mile from my home turned into shelter for strnaded motorists (Adams, NY) and ended up with 140. Interstate 81 (north/south) closed from Canadian border to just north of Syracuse (opened this evening at 6:30) but big tractor trailers stranded in Adams because they couldn't make it up either the north or south hills from the center of the village to continue on Rt 11. I'm home with my cats.

As for a road trip - the road? Oh, that must be that slight depression between the snow banks just the other side of the mail box.

3 am Tuesday (yesterday) morning, pipe froze and burst. The basement is not pleasant at that time of the day/night. Water turned off for the whole house (rural area - have own well). Other than that, things are very white. fire hall 1 mile from my home turned into shelter for strnaded motorists (Adams, NY) and ended up with 140. Interstate 81 (north/south) closed from Canadian border to just north of Syracuse (opened this evening at 6:30) but big tractor trailers stranded in Adams because they couldn't make it up either the north or south hills from the center of the village to continue on Rt 11. I'm home with my cats.

As for a road trip - the road? Oh, that must be that slight depression between the snow banks just the other side of the mail box.

At least you have your sense of humor!

I think I have it bad and than I read about other places in the country. We are running water slowly to try to keep the pipes from freezing. My bedroom, with the heater on, is 58 degrees. My two cats are on a heating pad. It was mine, but they worked together and pushed me off it. :) I just walked my dog and she cursed me out.

WHEN IS SUMMER COMING?

The lack of activity in this thread leads me to believe that everyone is frozen solid.

However, hope springs eternal!

Pun intended.

The lack of activity in this thread leads me to believe that everyone is frozen solid.

However, hope springs eternal!

Pun intended.

My situation hasn't changed much. I have gotten out, about once a week, to get fresh veggies and a few things on sale. Water thas been reconnected but, by my request, only to the kitchen. I can tote pails to flush and can wash up at the kitchen sink. Easier than dealing with another broken pipe. Have to have something done in the basement come spring as far as insulation and somehow stopping the wind from whipping up in the area where the shower pipes are located (where the break is located).

The local Physical therapy clinic (where I spend a lot of time) just reopened today after being closed for 2 weeks. Pipes in an adjacent location in the mall broke and flooded everything. Carpets had to be replaced, some wall damage, reinspection for electrical.

The road is still a depression between snow banks, occasionally a slightly darker shade when the sander and plows go through.

Even some of us who haven't been here in a long, LONG time! :eek:

Good to see you, Jan! :rose:

I pop up now and then. Fighting snow and ice and frozen, broken water pipes. At least I still have the Internet to keep me amused. Still trying to recover from a week in the hospital last November.

City-dwellers, hope you're enjoying the pre-July 4th light show that Mother Nature is providing us.

Late-August weather in early July....gotta love it!

City-dwellers, hope you're enjoying the pre-July 4th light show that Mother Nature is providing us.

Late-August weather in early July....gotta love it!

I just LOVE a good thunderstorm and this one is amazing! Lights off...watching out the window!

To alleviate server load, we're slowly closing down any threads with over 5,000 posts.

The new thread is here (clickie!).

As annoying as this may be, phasing out all or most of the active super-long/never-ending threads will increase the forum speed substantially. If you see a thread that's active with more than 5,000 posts, please feel free to PM me with the link.

Please note that these threads are not being removed - just closed to new posts.

Thank you for your patience and kind understanding! :rose:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back